Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Sauces Bald Eagle Cam, California  (Read 231703 times)

kbshcb

Re: Sauces Bald Eagle Cam, California
« Reply #735 on: March 04, 2017, 03:53:42 PM »

Me too, MpMom.....sad for them.....Humans >:(

mrsfalcon

• Administrator
« Reply #736 on: March 07, 2017, 05:01:18 PM »

I emailed the panel of eagle experts. One of them suggested looking at whether the nests of other eagles and brown pelicans were also failing in the area. Although DDT contamination is possible, it isn't the only potential factor. If any of you have that information, or know where nest reporting is done for Sauces beyond this cam, please let me know.

I also got asked if this was another trio. I don't watch this nest closely enough. As far as I know, it isn't, but wasn't there an eagle trio in the area at one point?

Thanks!

Amy

MpMom

• D1 in all of her beauty. Love 12,14,18,4,25 & 35
« Reply #737 on: March 07, 2017, 05:33:12 PM »

Thank you Amy!
I can't think of this happening to any of the other nests I watch.
This isn't a trio just a pair. It may be 8 or 9 years ago there was a trio on West End, which didn't last long. That happened before I came on.
If I think of any other nest I will be sure to let you know.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 05:35:23 PM by MpMom »
Will remember & love you Dad Decorah.

Caution: Exposure to the Son Prevents Burning..
From a sign in Missouri.
From T40~"I was supposed to spend the rest of my life with you. And then I realized...you spent the rest of your life with me."

MpMom

« Reply #738 on: March 07, 2017, 06:18:11 PM »

I sure hope she doesn't lay the 7th egg.  :-\

From a sign in Missouri.
From T40~"I was supposed to spend the rest of my life with you. And then I realized...you spent the rest of your life with me."

Emyrauld

« Reply #739 on: March 09, 2017, 07:04:53 PM »

Here we go again.  This afternoon Egg #7.  Thanks to Janntonne (Eagle Duo) for the video

https://youtu.be/9mIYPuCGdG4
A sense of humor can help you overlook the unattractive, tolerate the unpleasant, cope with the unexpected and smile through the unbearable....Moshe Woldoks

MpMom

« Reply #740 on: March 09, 2017, 07:28:26 PM »

Are you kidding Emy :o I have never seen anything like this anywhere!!!
Emy, is the cam down??
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 07:37:55 PM by MpMom »

From a sign in Missouri.

Emyrauld

« Reply #741 on: March 09, 2017, 07:46:55 PM »

Dead serious.  Posting pic of egg at just before 5pm nest time.  This is after A40 spread his wings across the bowl twice.  Egg still seems intact.

This egg is on the 6th day after egg 6.  Did we miss one on Monday?  Nothing in the nest observations would indicate such.  So then is this a third clutch? Or I did she resorb one?  Or is a 6 day spacing not that unusual?  My head is spinning trying to understand.   

A sense of humor can help you overlook the unattractive, tolerate the unpleasant, cope with the unexpected and smile through the unbearable....Moshe Woldoks

MpMom

« Reply #742 on: March 09, 2017, 07:50:47 PM »

Em is there a new cam site to look at? My cam says yesterdays date :-\

From a sign in Missouri.

Emyrauld

« Reply #743 on: March 09, 2017, 08:05:23 PM »

Try this one Mp

http://explore.org/live-cams/player/channel-islands-national-park-sauces-bald-eagle?popoff=true

In the past we have watched this pair continue with serious  nestorations,  mating and A40 bringing food gives for months after clutch failures.  I think it went well into May in 2015.  So the behaviour and the rugged determination is no surprise.  The number of eggs though is mind boggling.  Maybe A48 is part chicken.  I can't think of anything else. 
The egg failures are a puzzle too, especially after 2 of the three survived to hatch and fledge last year.  All that rain was that somehow a factor?  It's been drier the last week or so.  Maybe a drier nest will help.  I will be watching and waiting with everything crossed including my eyes.  (I really don't know why I do this to myself)

MpMom

« Reply #744 on: March 09, 2017, 08:19:13 PM »

Thank you Em. It worked! :-*
I just really feel bad for these 2. I don't understand why this is happening.

From a sign in Missouri.

Emyrauld

« Reply #745 on: March 10, 2017, 02:28:17 AM »

Just after midnight nest time and egg is still intact or at least seems to be.

Emyrauld

« Reply #746 on: March 10, 2017, 07:49:07 AM »

4 am and egg is still be rolled so likely still intact.  Cam went to highlights so will have to wait until it's back live.

Emyrauld

« Reply #747 on: March 10, 2017, 08:13:51 AM »

Got a look at the egg on an exchange at just after 6 a.m.  Stills looks like it might be intact.  Longest surviving egg with the exception of #1 and closing in on that one.  Everything, including eyes remains crossed.  I keep dosing off.  Nap time.

MpMom

« Reply #748 on: March 10, 2017, 09:16:36 AM »

;)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 10:22:27 AM by MpMom »

From a sign in Missouri.

Emyrauld

« Reply #749 on: March 10, 2017, 10:31:49 AM »

A48 tends to her egg at 7:30 this morning

https://youtu.be/sJ8WJM68sME