Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Flyway Cam NFWR La Crosse  (Read 173343 times)

Ginger52

• E Central IA
Re: Flyway Cam NFWR La Crosse
« Reply #615 on: August 26, 2019, 06:24:34 PM »

T40, isn't your second pic a hawk?

Sure does, but it wasn't labeled as such and I thought it might just be the angle that made it look hawk-like, so I went with it. :)

Ah...  so they mislabeled.  I noticed it doesn't have feathers on its legs down to its talons and also has bands on its tail, so I knew it couldn't be a Golden.

Ginger52

• E Central IA
« Reply #616 on: August 26, 2019, 07:42:47 PM »

Wondering if there is something wrong with the one in front that keeps getting in the water? Now the one in back keeps pulling at the other's feathers.

EA -- It's missing most of its tail feathers.  I've attached a pic.  Cam op kept the cam on it for a long time, so I'm sure RRP is aware.  I hope it can be rescued. 

[attachment deleted by admin]

monarch

« Reply #617 on: August 26, 2019, 09:08:22 PM »

Wondering if there is something wrong with the one in front that keeps getting in the water? Now the one in back keeps pulling at the other's feathers.

EA -- It's missing most of its tail feathers.  I've attached a pic.  Cam op kept the cam on it for a long time, so I'm sure RRP is aware.  I hope it can be rescued.

I've been watching this little dude for quite awhile this pm and knew there was something not quite right, especially when the other juvie was pulling at its feathers. Poor baby....I hope it can be rescued. I was worried when the adult jumped it earlier.

buzbee

« Reply #618 on: August 26, 2019, 09:18:52 PM »

I see he was still on that sandbar tonight just standing there. Could see his eyes glowing. So sad. Do you really think they would send someone out there to get him??? I am praying so!

Ginger52

• E Central IA
« Reply #619 on: August 26, 2019, 09:34:43 PM »

Well, this year RRP rescued all 3 Decorah eaglets when they "fledged" too early.  Also, they often assist with rescues in the Decorah area.  I think that anytime there's an grounded eagle (or sometimes other raptors -- remember John helping to rescue that vulture?) in the area or on one of their cams that needs medical attention RRP will help arrange a rescue attempt.  Also, the flyway cam is in a wildlife refuge so there are other organizations (FWS?) that could attempt a rescue, I assume.

monarch

« Reply #620 on: August 27, 2019, 07:46:52 AM »

Well, this year RRP rescued all 3 Decorah eaglets when they "fledged" too early.  Also, they often assist with rescues in the Decorah area.  I think that anytime there's an grounded eagle (or sometimes other raptors -- remember John helping to rescue that vulture?) in the area or on one of their cams that needs medical attention RRP will help arrange a rescue attempt.  Also, the flyway cam is in a wildlife refuge so there are other organizations (FWS?) that could attempt a rescue, I assume.

Very true Ginger, this is a great wildlife refuge with many walking trails to see the wildlife, they have a 10 minute movie theater introduction, things for kids, educators, etc. We're planning on getting up there this fall or next spring since it's only a few hours away from us.

Adding the refuge link...https://www.fws.gov/refuge/Upper_Mississippi_River/about.html

Response I jus received from their Wildlife District manager, Tim Miller

Thanks for the message.  I spoke with Raptor Resources last night about the bird.  I have not actually seen any photos of the bird yet, however I did not yesterday that the eagles are in various stages of molting.  We will be getting some photos today and can make a better assessment of what needs to be done.  Thanks again for your message. 
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 08:19:41 AM by monarch »

LORIDAVIS

• Peace Love Unity & Respect
    • Facebook
« Reply #621 on: August 27, 2019, 08:23:29 AM »

Thank you Monarch, Wildlife District manager, Tim Miller & RRP for anything that can be done for this precious Juvie.  Prayers for you lil guy.  Thanks to all of you who noticed there was something wrong and thank you for caring!  Together we can make a difference!  8)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 08:26:12 AM by LORIDAVIS »
Lori Davis
AcuraRacerGirl

Ginger52

• E Central IA
« Reply #622 on: August 27, 2019, 08:36:26 AM »

Thanks, Monarch.  I'm glad that RRP notified FWS and that they'll assess the situation.  And, thanks to the cam ops who do a great job of notifying RRP of issues that arise on the cams!

EagleAngels

« Reply #623 on: August 27, 2019, 08:39:20 AM »

Thank you so much, Ginger! I could tell something was wrong, but with it being in the water, it wasn't clear to me. As always, we will trust RRP to know what to do.

LORIDAVIS

• Peace Love Unity & Respect
    • Facebook
« Reply #624 on: August 27, 2019, 08:43:22 AM »

Thanks, Monarch.  I'm glad that RRP notified FWS and that they'll assess the situation.  And, thanks to the cam ops who do a great job of notifying RRP of issues that arise on the cams!

Ginger... oh yes, especially thank you to our wonderful Cam Ops!!! You are the best!:)
Lori Davis
AcuraRacerGirl

NWargo01

« Reply #625 on: August 27, 2019, 08:44:17 AM »

Is this the juvie they're possibly going to rescue?  Wonder if it's the same one that was on a branch the other day and kept looking down and didn't move much.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 08:53:23 AM by NWargo01 »
My spirit will never be broken or caught, for the soul is a free flying thing, like an eagle that needs neither comfort or thought to rise up on glorious wings.

monarch

« Reply #626 on: August 27, 2019, 08:50:25 AM »

Is this the juvie they're possibly going to rescue?  Wonder if it's the same one that was on a branch the other day and kept looking down and didn't move much.

Could have been. This little guy isn't straying too far away. I actually thought he/she was stuck in the muck yesterday, seemed to have a hard time getting out of that spot.

So cute watching the other eagle pulling on it's feathers, as if he knew something was wrong too.

EagleAngels

« Reply #627 on: August 27, 2019, 08:54:50 AM »

Looks like the juvie is still hanging out in the water. Poor thing!

LisaG1967

« Reply #628 on: August 27, 2019, 09:09:33 AM »

Thanks for your update, monarch.  :)

EagleAngels

« Reply #629 on: August 27, 2019, 09:17:49 AM »

If you weren't watching, there was another great running scene at 9:15! Maybe Lori will catch the video for us. Love your gifs, Lori!