Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Flyway Cam NFWR La Crosse  (Read 174830 times)

LORIDAVIS

• Peace Love Unity & Respect
    • Facebook
Re: Flyway Cam NFWR La Crosse
« Reply #600 on: August 25, 2019, 09:24:35 AM »

Saw this on explore.org this morning :)

via explore.org
?I just love watching eagles run, don?t you?? (Mississippi River Flyway cam, 8/25/19).
https://youtu.be/m32q6JxK2mM via McKat
A sub-adult bald eagle (under 5 years old, does not have full white head and tail yet) is seen alone on cam at first, then waddling to the water.
Lori Davis
AcuraRacerGirl

STLbf

« Reply #601 on: August 25, 2019, 04:14:26 PM »

Love the checkerboard look on the sub-adult at the Flyway from early this morning!

Sunday afternoon, maybe an hour ago on the rewind (guessing) the cam op was following what looked like a multi-colored para-sail above the water. I never spotted a person who would have been piloting it. Perhaps there was a boat?

::)

LORIDAVIS

• Facebook
« Reply #602 on: August 26, 2019, 08:06:31 AM »

Not sure if this is "playing" or not... chest bump.
Lori Davis
AcuraRacerGirl

LORIDAVIS

• Facebook
« Reply #603 on: August 26, 2019, 11:39:44 AM »

Splish Splash at Flyway 8)

Time to dry off!
via explore

Mississippi River Flyway : Bald Eagle moment SA, juvi
https://youtu.be/MIZ12O444EE via lizzy g eaglespirit

Waddle waddle weeee!!
via explore
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 12:47:16 PM by LORIDAVIS »
Lori Davis
AcuraRacerGirl

T40cfr403

« Reply #604 on: August 26, 2019, 02:14:47 PM »

I love juvies! 8)

[attachment deleted by admin]
Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of the world.
― Rachel Carson, Silent Spring

LisaG1967

« Reply #605 on: August 26, 2019, 02:16:54 PM »

Great pics, T40

Lori, great gifs

EagleAngels

« Reply #606 on: August 26, 2019, 03:47:22 PM »

Wondering if there is something wrong with the one in front that keeps getting in the water? Now the one in back keeps pulling at the other's feathers.

NWargo01

« Reply #607 on: August 26, 2019, 04:07:34 PM »

My spirit will never be broken or caught, for the soul is a free flying thing, like an eagle that needs neither comfort or thought to rise up on glorious wings.

NWargo01

« Reply #608 on: August 26, 2019, 04:11:00 PM »

Splish Splash at Flyway 8)

Time to dry off!

Mississippi River Flyway : Bald Eagle moment SA, juvi
https://youtu.be/MIZ12O444EE via lizzy g eaglespirit

Waddle waddle weeee!!

Love those gifs, Lori!  They make me smile.  :)
My spirit will never be broken or caught, for the soul is a free flying thing, like an eagle that needs neither comfort or thought to rise up on glorious wings.

NWargo01

« Reply #609 on: August 26, 2019, 04:15:06 PM »

This may be a dumb question, but I'll ask it anyway.  The juvie that people were calling 'checkerboard' because of the dark and white feathers all over their body - is that normal, or is that along the lines of an albino eagle?  I've never seen one like that before and didn't know if it denoted something different with that juvie.

T40cfr403

« Reply #610 on: August 26, 2019, 04:56:33 PM »

NW - That mottled look is normal, especially for wet juveniles/sub-adults! I know there has been some talk that particular bird may be a golden and not a bald eagle juvenile. Dunno. Definitely not leucisitic.

Juvenile golden eagle.

Photographers captured an adult eagle with white spots near Bellingham, Washington, on January 6. It was described as "albino-like."

Leucisitic bald eagle (albino)

Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of the world.

NWargo01

« Reply #611 on: August 26, 2019, 05:06:41 PM »

NW - That mottled look is normal, especially for wet juveniles/sub-adults! I know there has been some talk that particular bird may be a golden and not a bald eagle juvenile. Dunno. Definitely not leucisitic.

Photographers captured an adult eagle with white spots near Bellingham, Washington, on January 6. It was described as "albino-like."

Leucisitic bald eagle (albino)

Thanks for the pics and explanation, T40. I guess I just didn't realize that juvies/SA's could have that much white mottled in their feathers.  Maybe it's comparable to humans that have white 'spots' in their hair.  I knew someone years ago that had cole black hair, but one patch of white in the back of his head.  And he was only in his 20s, so it wasn't from age, he was born with it. 

But you're right - definitely not leucistic (I learned a new word!).  Interesting!

Ginger52

• E Central IA
« Reply #612 on: August 26, 2019, 05:09:06 PM »

This may be a dumb question, but I'll ask it anyway.  The juvie that people were calling 'checkerboard' because of the dark and white feathers all over their body - is that normal, or is that along the lines of an albino eagle?  I've never seen one like that before and didn't know if it denoted something different with that juvie.

Not a dumb question, NW.  I don't think I've seen one before that had so much white.  It's not albino because then it would be completely white.  It could be leucistic although I don't think it is.

From this site https://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/animals/blogs/whats-the-difference-between-albino-and-leucistic

"Albinism is a condition in which there is an absence of melanin, which gives color to the skin, feathers, hair and eyes. Vertebrates with albinism are not only white (or sometimes pale yellowish) in color but they also have very pale eyes, often pink or red in color as the blood vessels show through, or extremely light blue. Leucism, on the other hand, is a partial loss of pigmentation, which can make the animal have white or patchily colored skin, hair, feathers and so on, but the pigment cells in the eyes are not affected by the condition."

I don't think it's leucistic because I don't think it would be so patchy with very dark spots and white spots.  That's just my opinion -- I don't know for sure.  I did see a photo of one (an adult) that was labeled leucistic that does have similar patching, but I can't seem to get the link to work here on my post. (Edited:  I downloaded that pic and have now attached it.)   Also, it would be easier to tell if it were an adult.

I've also seen some comments wondering if it's a Golden Eagle.  I don't think it's a Golden.  It would be very rare to see one in this location although there are some Goldens that migrate to this area from northern Canada but that's in November.  The leg feathers on Goldens grow all the way down to the toes and you don't see their yellow legs. On some of my screencaps I can clearly see some of the eagle's legs.  https://www.avianreport.com/how-to-tell-a-juvenile-golden-eagle-from-a-juvenile-bald-eagle/  Here's a pic from that site:

« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 05:14:45 PM by Ginger52 »

Ginger52

• E Central IA
« Reply #613 on: August 26, 2019, 05:11:30 PM »

T40, isn't your second pic a hawk?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 05:13:21 PM by Ginger52 »

T40cfr403

« Reply #614 on: August 26, 2019, 05:20:20 PM »

T40, isn't your second pic a hawk?

Sure does, but it wasn't labeled as such and I thought it might just be the angle that made it look hawk-like, so I went with it. :)