Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Flyway Cam NFWR La Crosse  (Read 152421 times)

NWargo01

Re: Flyway Cam NFWR La Crosse
« Reply #570 on: August 20, 2019, 09:42:14 AM »

My spirit will never be broken or caught, for the soul is a free flying thing, like an eagle that needs neither comfort or thought to rise up on glorious wings.

NWargo01

« Reply #571 on: August 20, 2019, 09:45:40 AM »

Splish splash!!!

Mississippi River Flyway Bald Eagle bathing moment
https://youtu.be/fMqF1wSaow0 via lizzy g eaglespirit

Love that gif, Lori, as you can probably tell from my avatar.  ;D

I've been on the flyway cam sporadically this year, but will have it up constantly now that the Decorah cams are in maintenance mode.  So glad we have this option! 

After watching the video of the two bathing, I thought how funny it would be if you caught a gif of the sideways run/hop/fly that they both did to dry off!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 10:16:00 AM by NWargo01 »
My spirit will never be broken or caught, for the soul is a free flying thing, like an eagle that needs neither comfort or thought to rise up on glorious wings.

NWargo01

« Reply #572 on: August 20, 2019, 10:14:01 AM »

This little guy/girl is so much fun to watch! 

[attachment deleted by admin]

EagleAngels

« Reply #573 on: August 20, 2019, 10:26:11 AM »

Great shots, NW! Love how the juvie took over the perch after the adult left. :)

NWargo01

« Reply #574 on: August 20, 2019, 10:31:46 AM »

Great shots, NW! Love how the juvie took over the perch after the adult left. :)

I know!  :)

Where else can you see several species of birds all at the same time?!  This is great!  Does the camera do a full 360?  It seemed like it from the last panning they did.

LORIDAVIS

• Peace Love Unity & Respect
    • Facebook
« Reply #575 on: August 20, 2019, 10:45:29 AM »

Splish splash!!!

After watching the video of the two bathing, I thought how funny it would be if you caught a gif of the sideways run/hop/fly that they both did to dry off!

I can try to get it... with the software I have I usually do it on live stream have have it playing at the exact right time, press control shift G (at the same time) hover over the area to capture and talons crossed it works... this is all in the works for me... pretty soon I'll be the gif master and teach you how to do it! :)   It captures 7 seconds of video.  ::) 
Lori Davis
AcuraRacerGirl

NWargo01

« Reply #576 on: August 20, 2019, 10:48:44 AM »

Splish splash!!!

I can try to get it... with the software I have I usually do it on live stream have have it playing at the exact right time, press control shift G hover over the area to capture and talons crossed it works... this is all in the works for me... pretty soon I'll be the gif master and teach you how to do it! :)

I think you're pretty darned good at it now!  :) 

I am a ready and willing student! 

NWargo01

« Reply #577 on: August 20, 2019, 11:40:26 AM »

This is definitely more entertaining than Summer reruns!  ;D

Just saw this bird on a prior forum post and it's an egret.  I wasn't sure until I saw the post.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 12:05:10 PM by NWargo01 »

T40cfr403

« Reply #578 on: August 20, 2019, 01:24:27 PM »

:D

« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 01:28:10 PM by T40cfr403 »
Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of the world.
― Rachel Carson, Silent Spring

NWargo01

« Reply #579 on: August 20, 2019, 01:42:18 PM »

:D

Great comments, T40!  I could just hear Pacino saying that! 

I already left a message in the Decorah Eagles 2019 thread, but I'll mention it here also.  I just uploaded the ATF pics from my binoculars a little while ago (in the ATF thread).  It does take great pictures, and once I learn the settings, I should be able to document quite a bit next year.  Thanks to Eagle Angels who mentioned it in chat and piqued my curiosity!  :)

NWargo01

« Reply #580 on: August 20, 2019, 02:50:18 PM »

Love this flyway cam!!!  :-*

T40cfr403

« Reply #581 on: August 20, 2019, 07:20:37 PM »

8)

Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of the world.
― Rachel Carson, Silent Spring

STLbf

« Reply #582 on: August 20, 2019, 08:01:49 PM »

Can someone identify this waterbird? Screen shot about an hour ago.

What's your favorite online resource for identifying ducks and other water birds?

Occasionally, I still use the 1946 edition of John James Audubon's "The Birds of America" that my parents gave me when I was 5 years old! My grandkids think it's quaint but cool.

I checked in explore.org comments and camop spish indicated this is an American Coot.   I usually ask on comments section in explore.org OR in here.  :)

For on-line bird identification I use both Audubon's Bird ID and Cornell Lab's Merlin.  For books I use Sibley Birds (second edition) and for Wisconsin birds in particular I use Birds of Wisconsin Field Guide by Stan Tekiela.

American Coot -- I knew that! Thanks for confirmation.
And about bird ID books, Stan Tekiela also has Birds of Missouri, Birds of Illinois, Birds of Michigan. Great field guides, and you can search the pages by the main color of the bird.

Nice to see chatters from Decorah and Decorah North here at the Flyway. The variety of birds is awesome. And almost always eagles.

NWargo01

« Reply #583 on: August 21, 2019, 04:59:54 PM »

Lovin' the views!  :-*

Nora in IA

• May 30, 2020 Great Spirit Bluff
« Reply #584 on: August 21, 2019, 09:21:40 PM »

Love this flyway cam!!!  :-*
I love the way each kind of bird is in it's own row.