Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Flyway Cam NFWR La Crosse  (Read 152844 times)

LORIDAVIS

• Peace Love Unity & Respect
    • Facebook
Re: Flyway Cam NFWR La Crosse
« Reply #555 on: August 19, 2019, 12:13:14 PM »

Beautiful Flyway Cam today... could be one of our D's!!!❤️

« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 01:48:15 PM by LORIDAVIS »
Lori Davis
AcuraRacerGirl

STLbf

« Reply #556 on: August 19, 2019, 04:31:58 PM »

Can someone identify this waterbird? Screen shot about an hour ago.

What's your favorite online resource for identifying ducks and other water birds?

Occasionally, I still use the 1946 edition of John James Audubon's "The Birds of America" that my parents gave me when I was 5 years old! My grandkids think it's quaint but cool.

[attachment deleted by admin]

LORIDAVIS

• Facebook
« Reply #557 on: August 19, 2019, 05:04:08 PM »

What's your favorite online resource for identifying ducks and other water birds?

Occasionally, I still use the 1946 edition of John James Audubon's "The Birds of America" that my parents gave me when I was 5 years old! My grandkids think it's quaint but cool.

I checked in explore.org comments and camop spish indicated this is an American Coot.   I usually ask on comments section in explore.org OR in here.  :)
Lori Davis
AcuraRacerGirl

Ginger52

• E Central IA
« Reply #558 on: August 19, 2019, 05:14:50 PM »

I checked in explore.org comments and camop spish indicated this is an American Coot.   I usually ask on comments section in explore.org OR in here.  :)

Yep, it's a Coot.  We've seen a couple of them brought in as prey at Decorah North.  They have very distinctive looking feet also a white beak.  I think a common name is mudhen.  RRP has recently posted a bunch of Flyway photos on their Facebook page.  I'm pretty sure that one of the pics is a Coot.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 08:12:40 PM by Ginger52 »

MNLindaBird

« Reply #559 on: August 19, 2019, 06:49:20 PM »

Well, the RRP world brings us together in different places, and I notice familiar names in this Forum location.  Having just had success (thanks to some helpful tips from Izzy) posting a screen snip from Saturday at the Decorah Hatchery site, I'm feeling brave and bold at this moment.  Captured two nice snips at the Flyway recently that I shared elsewhere, and a chat friend of mine from Eaglecrest Wildlife days reminded me that this site existed within the RRP framework - and that I should try to include my snips here.  So, here's another test and we'll see how it works.  First photo will be of a pair of Sandhill Cranes trilling. 

MNLindaBird

« Reply #560 on: August 19, 2019, 06:57:13 PM »

OK.  I'm on a roll here.  My second snip from the Flyway is of the first Lesser Yellowlegs I have personally identified (at least if I'm correct in my ID process ;))  Got SO excited to find this at the Flyway yesterday!  My first experience at seeing one was during the glorious days at Eaglecrest Wildlife.  In fact, over time both the Lesser and Greater Yellowlegs were ID'd there - but this one I found all on my own  ;D

MNLindaBird

« Reply #561 on: August 19, 2019, 07:01:00 PM »

...and, Ginger52, the American Avocet snips are extraordinary!  So glad you saw, snipped, and shared  :-*

T40cfr403

« Reply #562 on: August 19, 2019, 07:43:30 PM »

Thanks for the American coot ID! Just spent an hour trying to ID (Cornell needs to up their search game) and only got as close as a grebe, based on their lobed feet. When I hear hoofbeats, I should think "horse" and not "zebra."  ;D ;D

Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of the world.
― Rachel Carson, Silent Spring

T40cfr403

« Reply #563 on: August 19, 2019, 09:40:29 PM »

Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of the world.
― Rachel Carson, Silent Spring

BrokenLug

« Reply #564 on: August 20, 2019, 01:25:18 AM »

Occasionally, I still use the 1946 edition of John James Audubon's "The Birds of Amrica" that my parents gave me when I was 5 years old! My grandkids think it's quaint but cool.

It is cool I still use the same one.    :)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 01:52:03 AM by BrokenLug »
U. S. A.

BrokenLug

« Reply #565 on: August 20, 2019, 01:34:57 AM »

Clearly your old paper bird id books are the way to go STLbf, that's what I use and treasure.  :)

Post seeing,  we rarely identify birds reliably online.

While In the field as we are now we always keep a really old paper copy of James. Yup that's it. That's the bird.  :)

But then again we carry a magnetic compass & a paper map & know how too use them when we walk about too.  ;)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 02:19:12 AM by BrokenLug »
U. S. A.

EagleAngels

« Reply #566 on: August 20, 2019, 08:44:17 AM »

Good to see familiar names on this forum page! Checked the cam this morning and found these beauties. :)

LisaG1967

« Reply #567 on: August 20, 2019, 08:52:22 AM »

Great pics, everyone

FinnBMD

« Reply #568 on: August 20, 2019, 09:15:52 AM »

For on-line bird identification I use both Audubon's Bird ID and Cornell Lab's Merlin.  For books I use Sibley Birds (second edition) and for Wisconsin birds in particular I use Birds of Wisconsin Field Guide by Stan Tekiela.

LORIDAVIS

• Facebook
« Reply #569 on: August 20, 2019, 09:28:24 AM »

Splish splash!!!

Mississippi River Flyway Bald Eagle bathing moment
https://youtu.be/fMqF1wSaow0 via lizzy g eaglespirit
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 09:39:54 AM by LORIDAVIS »
Lori Davis
AcuraRacerGirl