Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Jewel and her cubs  (Read 628724 times)

calhound

• Eagle nest and Bear watcher since 2/23/11
Re: Jewel and her cubs
« Reply #26820 on: May 28, 2023, 05:10:10 AM »

Forest Fire Near Bear Center, and a Mystery Solved - UPDATE May 27, 2023

Holly watching the action
Concern hit strong when we learned there was a forest fire near the Bear Center and we might have to move the bears out of its way. We called the veterinarian, arranged their travel boxes, and waited as plane after plane flew over low, dropping water. A bunch of us stood in the smoke in the parking lot waiting to see what to do. People sent me pictures to tell the story. Someone posted this 3:24-minute video of planes scooping water and dumping it on the fire. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVkpPcp648M

Plane NABC
Plane over NABC
 Fire plane
Fire plane
 Firetruck at NABC
Firetruck at NABC
Sharon took a picture of Holly watching the sky, probably an airplane. A fire truck was in the Bear Center parking lot ready for action, depending on the wind direction. Then the smoke diminished. The hazy sky turned blue, and word came that the Bear Center was safe. Whew!

Steele
Steele
On a lighter note, the mystery bears I said the team was working on are now identified. They are 5-year-old Stella and her lone male yearling Steele—sixth and seventh generation from Shadow. The distinguishing mark was light brown fur on Steele’s chin and neck. Nice bears. Stella started off the action by tearing after another bear and running it off. She then calmly returned to her yearling. They got on the scale and calmly shared food eating nose to nose. The team was amazing. I put out the word and soon had a picture of Steele and how he fit into Shadow’s clan as is listed on the clan sheet (https://tinyurl.com/mt7a97yu) that includes 439 bears, including cubs. The lineage, including dates of birth in parentheses, is: Shadow (1987), Blackheart (1997), Donna (2000), Shannon (2005), Summer (2009), Sadie (2014), Stella (2018), and Steele (2022). Nice to see that two more familiar bears made it through the winter.

Thank you for all you do,
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calhound

« Reply #26821 on: May 28, 2023, 05:39:25 AM »

hi you guys its 55 here 49 in iceland 69 in kyiv wow on the update holly watching the action how scary ty god for saving those bears and their homes. i was thinking be hard to move bears but maybe they have a drill in place for such things.
A small fire near Lucky Boy ponds west of Ely took off into a clear cut and became a 20-acre forest fire Saturday afternoon.

Low humidity and gusty winds caused the Morse-Fall Lake Fire Department to have to pull back from battling the blaze and an air attack was launched.

By Saturday night the fire was 50 percent contained with a dozer line being cut around the fire.

"The fire started by the Lucky Boy ponds and burned to the northeast," said Morse-Fall Lake fire chief Ted Krueger. "It entered a clear cut and then into an area with a lot of dead balsam."

Following the initial attack by Morse-Fall Lake, a Chinook helicopter and four Fire Boss planes were diverted from another fire to drop water on the Ely fire.

"The Chinook was able to dump a lot of water on the fire and he had a quick turnaround time from Lucky Boy to the fire," said Krueger.

The Chinook CH-47 can drop 3,000 gallons of water at a time and reload in under two minutes.

The Fire Boss can carry 800 gallons of fuel and fly 170 miles per hour. They were refueling on Shagawa Lake.

People gathered at vantage points to take photos of the fire and the air show that went with it, including along Hwy. 169 and at the Morse Town Hall.

Krueger said the plan is to get a dozer line around the entire fire and attack the spot fires that were popping up Saturday. A smaller helicopter will be on the scene in addition to ground crews from Morse-Fall Lake, the U.S. Forest Service and the Minnesota DNR.

The Taconite Trail will be closed until further notice between Ely and Raven Lane.

hi neva turkeys elections are today and i was watching news at 2 am saying there are people there that feel erd been taking away their freedom on stuff well yes he is and erd did not handle earthquake stuff right well of course he did not he did not care not his home. so just a hopin here. putin shooting drones over kyiv      Russia has carried out a new massive overnight drone attack on Ukraine's capital Kyiv, killing at least one person, local officials have said.

Kyiv's mayor Vitaliy Klitschko said a man died when drone wreckage fell near a petrol station. A woman was injured.

Overall, Russia launched a record 54 so-called kamikaze drones on Ukrainian targets, 52 of which were shot down, Ukraine's Air Force reported.

In Kyiv alone, more than 40 drones were downed, officials said.

sure be nice if putin fell over dead and erd lost today.  i can get into jims big truck it has running boards and a handle up there i pull on it i lift my leg up to the running boards think i will just drive my escape got pollys focus which to me and jim is like a go cart dont feel very safe in it. just too small little bitty tires great for gas mileage but really i would rather feel safe. i use it to go to town once a week bank. safest to me is our F150 new ranger is safe too oh our work van for ac business it feels really safe too.

Hi Joho got indys new halter yesterday afternoon. will try it out today i think. jim was going to let him yesterday at 3 pm and have justin help put him back in and i said no i am getting ready to comb him out do his treats and get him ready for the night and i do not want justin to mess with him. indy would not like that at all. they are working on hay so maybe he will stay up in the barn today too. out of the way all the tractores and balers would scare him.  he does not need to be scared. yesterday he was lifting his ears listen to stuff outside of his barn. mowing front hay field maybe stayed in the barn she did not want out. penny looking out the window barking and growling most the day.

gb ukraine gb all animals and gb all of us

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/0A055D50761D?z=0
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

johoward

« Reply #26822 on: May 28, 2023, 09:22:52 AM »

7:05 Kind of a tough one for me. 
I am thinking of which grave to visit first. There are several, and they are spread out over five cities.  Also, listening to traffic and chirping at GSB cam.  Got to see feeding.  Did not take long because babies are so big now.
Update with fire scare held my attention.  Did not get to see Iowa at the center yesterday, but I tried.
Thanks Cal for the news.  You are still my best source.  I am praying for world peace each day.  We need help there. Life is really backward.  I remember how very important all aspects of human behavior seemed to be when I was young.  Now I know there are very very few things that really matter.  Too bad the rest of the world is still too young to know this.  Many will die before they learn what really matters.
Now I will say Happy Memorial Day to you. GBU and GB Ukraine.

calihoula

« Reply #26823 on: May 28, 2023, 10:32:01 AM »

hi joho this memorial i think of my dad who always went to indy 500 he would get a kick out of indy and that was his name xoxo to my dad i dont have time to visit his grave my brother grandparents both side far away jim justin doing hay in a bit and my dad is here with me really mom all of them so we put indys well i put indys new be nice halter on him its stiff never used one of those would of liked to show it to my mom who would of just loved indy too we let him out in the corral. jim had to fill up gas cans for tractors my gas can i hope to mow dogs yard in a bit he went to town i stayed by barn door open a little tarp pulled behind me so my barn birds stay in they were sleeping the boy did his rodeo stuff then started eating boy lots cooler in the barn than out there in the sun i did not spray him good for flies he hates that but i think he is starting to understand what it does he hates flies. not many in the barn i still spray him in there. so then he ran up to side fence i saw one of sanders beagles came all the way down jim runs it off we like our rabbits and dogs should be at their own home in a fence area but indy giving this older fat beagle the snort foot stomping and beagle looked over and high tailed back if indy been out in his pasture he probably would get that dog fence is horse fence very small squares no dog get thru that dog would have to go under gate and it is clear down i will check area tomorrow before letting indy out so then indy came to me got a treat yes i do so i fed him treats at door jim got back took lead rope i said he was just here opened the door indy right there put on his lead jim went to pull and indy saying nope pulled back oh wait maybe i will come in the knots applied pressure to those points once indy felt some hurt he stopped his pain level is like jims zero so ty obi wan kenobi you were my only hope we left him in getting ready to start up tractors bailers i wish for peace too joho all the time
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

neva

« Reply #26824 on: May 28, 2023, 06:54:52 PM »

Memorial ...  31:27    95° (4:11 pm)  Sunny, and thankfully, some wind.

Hi everyone  - I hope your day has been going well.

Hi Cal --   I hope that Beagle recognizes not to come over to your place.  Carlene, the one with the Great Danes is very careful to keep a fence between her donkeys and mules and the dogs.  She says that the mules and donkeys can kill a dog.  She was saying that some people put the mules and donkeys in herds of sheep, etc. like guard dogs to protect the herd and that they are very good at it.  That surprised me.

Hi Joho -- 
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
(J.W. Stephens)

calhound

« Reply #26825 on: May 29, 2023, 05:32:03 AM »

hi you guys its 58 here 49 in iceland 71 in kyiv and 62 in the barn. yesterday i saw something back behind the barn by hidey hole where they come in the barn it was that stray cats kittens. saw at least 3. they are little i dont think they can do for themselves yet i cant tell if mom is nursing them still i could tell a few days ago she comes in and i feed her on top of hay bales. cant pick her up or pet her but she gets real close to me. so i was upset sure dont need this at all. i put out water and dry kitten food by hidey hole before i came in they took off into tall grass but i saw came back later with her. i have my moms live trap for cats i want jim to go ask people across the road when is she home to take them she is vech tech they run a cat rescue will take me awhile to catch all of them probably catch some raccoonies and maybe maybe. i feel bad but i got tons of cats now and i am overwhelmed beyond words.

hi neva i know that about donkeys and sure mule too. tim has a donkey and his dogs and that mare but yes donkey go after dogs and they try to get coyotees foxes i know indy would hurt that beagle but that beagle also needs to stay out of indys space. its his space.  i saw on world news erd won but not by much that 5% 3 went to new guys 2 to jerk but enough for jerk to win be his last time but 5 years long time to have him in. guess he will run nato for next 5 years unless we got stuff erd wants sweden may not get in. i would hope putin finally be done and gone in 5 years. hope not when all of them ukraines and russians are dead. erd will not care for sure about anything but himself he won and this is it. i saw finally debt ceiling lifted wait till last minute upset countless elderly with their ss. shameful. good for two whole years well elections next years see how it plays out.

hi joho hope you got see the graves yesterday

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/D1055D544E1A?z=0

gb ukraine gb all animals and gb all of us

calhound

« Reply #26826 on: May 29, 2023, 05:35:06 AM »

Happy Memorial Day thank you for your service

My Dad North Korea

johoward

« Reply #26827 on: May 29, 2023, 10:01:23 AM »

5:54 Lots of Maroon there.
I did finally get to leave a rock on all my graves.  Also added a flag to my brother's grave and sent a picture of it to his two girls.  Kelly and Susie.
Almost got to see Iowa on the deck.  She sent me a text she was on deck at 3pm, but I was out and about at that time.  I did not find her text until 10pm.  I sent her a text then to let her know. Maybe mods got some pics to share. They had that big fire near there too.  I think it was about that same time. Pretty scary.
Too bad Terd got in again. Evil is powerful.
Good Indy respects his new halter.  Maybe you can lead him, Cal.  I mean if you have to.
I am still just hanging out alone due to exposure.  Debbie going to see her friends from Kentucky.  They are up north in New London today.  That is about 45 minutes away.  Usually Debbie would drive South to visit in KY on Memorial Day, but her friend said weather looks better in Ohio, so they came North. 
I went to Walmart last night at about 10 pm.  Can't remember why right now, but I did get some strawberries, some cooked shrimp, some $1.97 chips, and some lunchmeat. Which i remember now was what I went for.  So at 10:30 I had all that for dinner.  What I really want is some ribs which I was supposed to get last Friday.  Darn Covid anyway.  Today I will drive around until I find some ribs.
I sent pictures of all the stones to close relatives who are not able to come see them.  CUL EV 1 GBU and GB Ukraine

calihoula

« Reply #26828 on: May 29, 2023, 12:20:56 PM »

hi joho indy is out been out since 8 am jim justin went to deliver hay jim said be gone two half hours at 10:30 am i just checked on indy ask do you want to come in not yet okay so i just checked he is eating if he goes to barn door i may have to try to lead him in im not stable so i dont know before he started this he would just come in or i just grabbed his halter little pull in. i love you saying Terd lol perfect for that evil erdogan so funny
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

calihoula

« Reply #26829 on: May 29, 2023, 03:05:20 PM »

joho indy covered in flies need to apply more spray i could not get the snap on lead rope on that stiff hole he kept backing up at barn door finally i got it he would not come in. i held that rope inside door he backed up little but not come in i had tarp behind me not lose one of barn birds so i went back out tied him to big post got fly spray he hates that but sprayed him he pulled back but stopped i sprayed him down jim justin get back jim could not get him either sad face here he had justin get behind indy but kicked at him so justin came in barn and jim got behind indy took a stick whacked his butt get in there i was in barn waving around a little debbie. finally indy came in. halter was loose so hoping next time i will make it tighter be okay but i dont know jim said he will work with him next weekend hope my birds be sleeping had them for six years born in there their nest in there break my heart to lose them. we got to pull him out of the barn too. nothing like going back in. for long time he just came in. maybe he might like to go to that mule trainer in queen valley az bet he would not get little debbies or combed out kissed no ac no fan

neva

« Reply #26830 on: May 29, 2023, 06:20:41 PM »

Brats/Grill ...  27:54    96°  (3:44 pm)   Sunny and a breeze.

Hi Cal ...  Yes, pretty awful that Erdogan won again.     Indy would not like going to school in Arizona.   Hot is really hot here, intense out in the desert.

Hi Joho ...   My family leaves stones at the grave when they visit too.  I haven't done that in a very long time, not out of any lack of respect, but I just never felt like they were there.  That is just me, though I don't think my two brothers have done any better.

Sorry Joho, that was not meant as any kind of judgement.  It's just me.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2023, 09:01:36 PM by neva »
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
(J.W. Stephens)

johoward

« Reply #26831 on: May 30, 2023, 12:31:57 AM »

Yikes,  Cal Sounds like Indy is showing us why he became available.  I remember you saying his time outside has to be controlled for his digestive well being, but please don't risk your well being either. 
It is OK Neva.  I did not always leave a stone.  I heard about it and recently started doing it now and then.  I like to see how many will show up before they get "cleaned up".  It varies by cemetery.  St Mary's and St Joseph's clean them off sooner than the other two.
I am sorry to say while I was running around to cemeteries I missed a text from Iowa that she was on the deck.  I will try to wave to her and y'all when I go there.  I will text you when I am waving and hope the camera is on me.  You can let the moderator know somehow.  I don't know how, but some do.
Good Night now EV1 GBU and GB Ukraine

calhound

« Reply #26832 on: May 30, 2023, 05:18:02 AM »

Memorial Day, Lilypad Picnic, Fire & NABC on TV, and a Hungry Woodchuck - UPDATE May 29, 2023

Woodchuck
On this Memorial Day, I am thankful, as always, to the many who sacrificed their well-being and lives for the freedom we enjoy in this greatest country in the world.

Flag
Flag at NABC

I am also thankful and excited to hear from Whimzy (Linda Ziobro) that the Lilypad Picnic is back. It is a highlight of the year to see and talk with Lily Fans at this uniting event put on by the Northwoods Bear Foundation. Thank you, Whimzy!

2023 Lilypad picnic
2023 Lilypad Picnic (click to visit website)

Here are words from Whimzy herself on how to sign up: “The Lilypad Picnic is returning to an in-person picnic once again, this year! The dates will be July 21-23. For more information, and to purchase your tickets, please visit the Lilypad Picnic's website at www.lilypadpicnic.com; or Facebook page, Lilypad Picnic FAN PAGE, at: https://www.facebook.com/groups/394411520624410. On either of these links you will find more information as well as a link to the store. If anyone has further questions, please feel free to contact us at [email protected].”

On KBJR-TV, it was good to see Scott and our bears regarding the close forest fire that had us worried but ready as is shown here: https://www.northernnewsnow.com/2023/05/29/north-american-bear-center-reacts-wildfire-near-facility-saturday.

Then, just now, a woodchuck stopped by to claim his share of the bear (and wildlife) food and watch me aim the camera at him through the window. Thank you woodchuck.

Thank you for all you do,
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center

calhound

« Reply #26833 on: May 30, 2023, 05:41:18 AM »

hi you guys its 63 here 45 in iceland 73 in kyiv little woodchuck is just too cute

hi joho when do you leave for bear center? yes i can chat with marge i think i remember how to do that. you also take pictures you can send them to me but i cant put them on here from my phone i could if i had a phone like jims his phone i can download his pictures onto my computer here but mine is just a flip phone. im upset over indy doing this and yes i have to get back cause he could really harm me or kill me. if he did that jim would get rid of him. if i was younger and could walk and stuff indy would know it. but i know that halter was loose so hoping this weekend tighten it up he will mind i will be in front pulling jim behind he does not like jim behind him and yesterday he did not have me in front he had justin. he will not get to to out in his pasture till he minds just the corral and then back in he will be in training. isnt that groundhog cute.

hi neva oh i know indy would hate that mule ranch i feel bad for them mules that live there i saw on video at least he had some tarps up over some of them sure not a whole lot cooler in the shade what is the temp there in the winter? does it rain there much? they must have to go somewhere else and buy hay. putin raining down on kyiv and again on the world news showed little kids running in terror he shot all them in the daytime but ukraine shot all of them down but some parts and stuff still landed. im so sad terd won.  i have never heard of leaving stones at graves. i leave flowers when i go. fake ones but nice fake ones. a little model race car at my dads

got to pick up groceries and go to harps need to feed everyone first

gb ukraine gb al animals and gb all of us

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/9F055D5447DB

johoward

« Reply #26834 on: May 30, 2023, 08:03:52 AM »

5:56
I saw a TV chick at about minus 2.35. YAY!
Good morning EV1 Cereal and coffee waiting.  So CUL EV1 GBU and GB Ukraine