Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Jewel and her cubs  (Read 629781 times)

johoward

Re: Jewel and her cubs
« Reply #26775 on: May 18, 2023, 09:42:44 AM »

5:49
Started off cold, but warming up now.  50 degrees at 10:23 and sunny.  Will wear long pants and sleeves again today, but will probably ride a little for exercise.  I need to keep my knees working.  If I sit for a day I really feel it.
About a year ago I asked an old friend if she would like to go places with me.  I showed her my list of 12 places I want to go. She says she wants to go on a church tour in Cleveland. So I've been trying to set it up since then.  Missed out on at least three trips that filled up too quick.  Now it looks like finally next week we will get to go. It is costly at $89 each, because lunch is included at the exclusive Pier W restaurant in Cleveland overlooking the Lake Erie shoreline.  Should be a good trip.  We are going on Tuesday the 23rd.
Today I am going to try to find someone who will let me watch a special movie at their house.  My DVD player is broken.  The movie is special.  All about the survival of one of the crew who went to the South Pole and got stuck in the ice for I think two years.  My ex-son-in-law Gave it to Debbie to give to me to watch.  He is a movie addict, and told her he would buy me a DVD player if I did not have one.  He will not let her rest until I watch this movie and comment on it.  I am not as excited to see it as he is for me to watch it, because I have seen it before on PBS.  It is a good reason for me to connect with a neighbor though.  So I will try to do that.  Might be fun.
Now I need to go so CUL EV1 GBU and GB Ukraine

calhound

• Eagle nest and Bear watcher since 2/23/11
« Reply #26776 on: May 19, 2023, 05:32:22 AM »

hi you guys its 64 and i was thinking oh good it did rain like they said but it still coming just later 48 in iceland and 71 in kyiv. i saw on the world news person drove thru gate at vatican
ROME, Italy — A car driven by someone with apparent psychiatric problems rushed through a Vatican gate Thursday evening and sped past Swiss Guards into a palace courtyard before the driver was apprehended by police, the Holy See said.

Vatican gendarmes fired a shot at the speeding car’s front tires after it rushed the gate, but the vehicle managed to continue on its way, the Vatican press office said in a statement late Thursday.

Once the car reached the San Damaso Courtyard of the Apostolic Palace, the driver got out and was immediately arrested by Vatican gendarmes. The Vatican said the driver was about 40 years old and was in a “serious state of psychophysical alteration." He was being held in the Vatican barracks.

It wasn't clear if Pope Francis was anywhere near the incident, which occurred after 8 p.m. at the Santa Anna gate, one of the main entrances to the Vatican City State in the heart of Rome.

hi joho church tour should be fun

hi neva

gb ukraine gb all animals and gb all of us

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/D6055D50AFF6?z=0
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

johoward

« Reply #26777 on: May 19, 2023, 09:31:58 AM »

6:09
Trying to get good deals on utilities this morning.  A friend of Debbie's named Kit Custer has a new job signing people up for reduced utility charges with a certain conglomerater.  They have been working on my electric bill for a few months.  Apparently the Ohio Edison rate is going up soon, a lot, and Kit is trying to get me into a lower cost supplier before that happens.  I like talking to Kit, who sold my house for me, so I am allowing her to do all she feels a  need to do for me.
 Also, my neighbor Lorrie has some heavy furniture to move around her house.  She asked me for the name of someone who does this.  I called my mover for her.  They want $273 for two men for one hour.  I told her that.  I would not pay that.  I would get my grandson to do it for me.  He would be glad.  He would do it for her too, but her husband is afraid of injury using amateur movers with no Workers Comp. Ins.
Nicer out today 68 degrees already.  Need to get off here and get out there!  Bye Now CUL EV 1 GBU and GB Ukraune

neva

« Reply #26778 on: May 19, 2023, 04:44:32 PM »

Duck Blue ... 26:04        85°  (2:13 pm)    Sunny w/ some clouds and a light breeze.  A really nice day.

Hello everybody.  I hope your day is going well.

Hi Joho ...  That makes me wonder if I have a grandson that would help me if I needed it ??  I know that Justin would, without hesitation, but he is in Wyoming.  Josh and Nathan might, but I just don't know.  They live here, but I never see them, which is a much my fault as anyone's. 

Hi Cal  ...   Pope Francis doesn't live in the regular Pope's residence at the Vatican, but chose another, less grand apartment in Vatican City.  An intruder would have to know where to look for him ... plus, one of those Swiss Guards would eventually get them.  The Swiss Guard are real soldiers.

Francis is a decent man, I cannot figure why anyone would be going after him.  I guess it is a combination of the person's mental illness and the times we live in. 
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
(J.W. Stephens)

calhound

« Reply #26779 on: May 20, 2023, 05:30:50 AM »

hi you guys its 46 here 48 in iceland and 72 in kyiv and 55 in the barn  pres zen is in japan at g7 deal talk is ukraine and helping more and now looks like biden gave the okay for other countries to send those fighter jets. finally pres zen gets what he has asked for since almost day one. i hope that will be a great help for poor ukraine.  talk is on about china too. montana banned all tik tok in montana would not bother me i sure dont use use it and not happy with the thought of china spying on me or anyone else for that matter.

hi joho i sure can see worry about workmans comp i tell him justin wants to bale our fields take hay that is okay but get hurt not on us. i helped my mom all the time got hurt but that was on me not my mom. sounds like alot of money  for an hour but then i dont know what that does cost. if jim should go or we have to move i am calling 1 800 got junk and pointing to it take it away. jim had furnace on when me and dogs got up this morning did not need to do that really. i went and covered the vents in kitchen and living room guess leave them covered till what july our propane contract this time will be really really high have to ordered lots more than last year. hope you get help with your bills.everything is so much now.

hi neva i did see they said pope was on other side of the city and those swiss guards are tough fight to the death if needed they shot a tire but car kept going. yes francis is a decent man but times we live in and dont forget the mental illness. do you see josh and nathan at christmas? i got to go to walmart get some baby food and fancy feast for some of my old cats. rats.  this morning i did not clean up poop raked it to the back corner raccoonies following me all over for cookies but they do not come back by indy i put out dog food told them eat that i am short on cookies gave them some already five of them sweets jumping up got my fingers indy nipping at my arm cookie i just feed them and came in to feed others. so got to go back out there hoping raccoonies went on  to bed

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/F8055D5C32C4?z=0
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

johoward

« Reply #26780 on: May 20, 2023, 09:07:10 AM »

4:37 Good mouse today.  Rainy day and cool 56 degrees at 9:43. I can hear a far off train whistle right now outside my window.  Sounds melancholy to me due to the rain.  No plans for today.  Maybe I will go watch a movie at a friends house while it is raining.  Maybe I will take a ride to get some things I forgot last night.  Like apples to cut up in my morning cereal, and more importantly some milk for that same cereal.  On occasion I have used water when out of milk.  It is not very good that way, but I did it any way.  I keep a few microwave breakfast dishes in my freezer for variety, but I really like my morning cereal, coffee, and newspaper ritual.
 Due to afternoon postal delivery of "morning" paper, I save it for morning as do some others in my over 55 neighborhood.  I have to be careful to remember that "today events" really happened yesterday, so it is too late to attend.
Debbie and I did make it to St. Anthony Greek Orthodox Church for their very popular annual Gyro Drive through last night.  She remembered that we did it last year too, and that we ordered too much.  Yet when we got the menu we ordered the same exact things again.  Gyros, French Fries, Baklava, and rice pudding.  All were just great.  None was wasted.  My sugar was not low this morning. LOL
Debbie will be busy today shopping for bathroom remodel supplies with her Ex. John and his truck.
Ok now I will let you go and get started.  CUL EV1 GBU and GB Ukraine

neva

« Reply #26781 on: May 20, 2023, 05:30:04 PM »

Lake/Bike ...  17:45      94°  (2:46 pm)   Mostly sunny w/ mild breeze

Hi everyone, I hope things are going well with you.

Hi Cal ...  Sweets got your fingers?  ... and Indy nipping at your arm?  Are you alright.  Makes me cringe to think of it.  This puppy that we have -- giving her a biscuit is like feeding a Crocodile, and she's big now... BIG Crocodile!   lol!

No, we don't get together like we used to in this family.  I forgot to mention Nathan's brother, Tim Jr.  He lives in Alabama.  ... and then there is Robert.  I think he would show up if I asked a favor, and he has such a busy life.

Hi Joho ...  The Greek Church here in town has a Festival that they put on each year, that we used to go to.  It was a great event.  My favorite Greek Restaurant closed because of Covid.  I hear that the plan is to reopen, I hope so. 

« Last Edit: May 20, 2023, 08:28:21 PM by neva »
(J.W. Stephens)

calhound

« Reply #26782 on: May 21, 2023, 06:05:22 AM »

Blossoms, Bears, Birds of Beauty, and a Booboo - UPDATE May 20, 2023

Adam
Neighbors are sending me pictures of blossoms—lowbush blueberry and juneberry (a.k.a. serviceberry) that I believe are late enough to avoid a late frost.

Juneberry
Juneberry
 Blueberry
Blueberry
Among the bears appearing lately is 5-year-old Adam who is back to eating grass now that some of the large-leaved aster leaves are getting past the edible stage. He is rapidly growing back the hair he lost overwinter to mange and will probably look sleek and handsome by the time the courses start in July.

Bear eating grass
Bear eating grass

The bear with its mouth open wide taking a big bite of grass is the bear I confused as the possible mother of the unknown yearling that visits. He is an unknown male, maybe two years old, who was thoroughly trusted by the yearling. That behavior also fits because young bears often buddy-up at this time of year, although I haven’t seen these two hanging out.

Goldfinch
Goldfinch
 Purple finch
Purple finch
 Rose breasted grosbeak
Rose-breasted grosbeak
A few goldfinches are back and in full mating plumage like this brilliant male, while purple finches and rose-breasted grosbeaks are adding color of their own.

Thank you for all you do,
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center

calhound

« Reply #26783 on: May 21, 2023, 06:29:38 AM »

hi you guys its 49 here 48 in iceland 71 in kyiv updates pics so good. i have been working on ac stuff jim putting in a few lots of paper work here for me as i have all my chores to do so getting behind on this work.

hi joho my mom never drank milk she put diet coke in her cereal. i saw other day front page on our town paper and it was saying mail fraud stuff and how to sign up for seeing your mail ahead of time like you said awhile back so i signed up for that but not used it yet.

hi neva indys nip hurts left a big bruise  sweets got my fingers again. i hold on to those bars alot and he jumps right up there. indy has been a problem on coming back in the barn. he gets to the door but then nope. i will stay out here and talk to my girlfriend tims horse. jim cant pull him in yesterday i was losing my patience jim late i let him out at 10 am and i saw him running like crazy and he ran to the barn door back out in pasture back to barn door so i went out to the barn and he ran back to the door covered in flies biting ones barn nice and cool no flies but he would not come in. i tied him up went to close corral gate fell twice he would not come in again. so i sprayed his front legs he got back shut the door not to lose my barn birds. i went out every half hour he would not come in. frustrating to say the least. cant let dogs out till he is in they would bark loudly scare him.i called jim at five and he was almost home i said good cause i have had it HAD IT!!jim could not pull him in he was aggravated said leave him out but cant do that his water in the barn so i said give me the lead rope i was inside the barn with my cane and jim got back behind him and indy almost in then backed out jim yelled at him said get your a** in there and his a** came in and jim hurried and shut the door. jim said i told you he needs one of those be nice halters so i googled it and yes many with mules use it has pulleys on it pressure points he pulls back with inflict some discomfort he minds and go forwards no problem and the rope has control too so ordering all that monday. he needs to mind jim could not hold him once and now indy knows that. today his a** is in. i need to mow his pasture mow the graves but i just got so much too do and hard for me to get around. i am hoping this winter no mowing for one to finally get something done with my knees. justin went to a very good dr at ku and i know others went there too for knee stuff. 

i gotta go gb ukraine gb all animals and gb all of us

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/94055D4FAB5E?z=0

johoward

« Reply #26784 on: May 21, 2023, 09:29:30 AM »

6:30  Not too bad. Mouse was sticky today.  Slowed me down. The station reminds me of our Cuyahoga Valley National Park Station in Peninsula Ohio.  A very nice place.
Debbie sent me a beautiful picture of a doe deer outside her backdoor this morning.  It was munching on a bush in the fence line about 10 yards from her door.  I told her it could eat my Hosta any time it wants.
It is so nice out today.  Trying to decide if I should ask someone to go out and about this afternoon.  I will go walking ,cat fishing, and maybe lunching at The Hungry Bear.  I will probably go alone though, because I don't want to hear any more "no's", and it is kind of late to ask.
 I am looking forward to the church bus tour on Tuesday.  Been trying to do this for about two years.  I hope it goes well.
Neva,  I will take you along in my mind, and try to fine a way to share it with you and Cal.  Cal, I am able to get around quite well now with my new knee.  It does not bother me at all.  Go for it ASAP.  My worst life regret is wasting so many years hobbling around with that worn out knee.  I was out of bed and walking the next day, and that was while I still had three ruptured discs in my back.
Gonna head out now by myself.  CUL EV1 GBU and GB Ukraine

calihoula

« Reply #26785 on: May 21, 2023, 02:35:33 PM »

hi joho you give me hope on my knees they hurt and one swells so bad other does too but the left big swelling behind the knee at noon i let the fogs out heard crying goat loud my dogs looking for it so loud tims of course and no one there two of them never home why have all them animals when i got that one out before thorny trees tore me up had gator and my walker now really overgrown i knew i could not get thru that jim doing ac work i started down the hill by house hoping it was in fence that runs along our hay field no thorny trees there i took pair of cutters my cane went all the down the hill then cross over where we piped it drive gator truck etc there lead me out to big flat area jim had mowed ty jim i got up to where a ravine lots of rain water runs like a river there stepped down into that there was little goat but oh oh head not stuck in field fence but heavy hog panels. little goat sees me really crying loud get me out! so i talked to it be okay it was having to stand too at a slant i put my hands on either side of its little head in one movement turned its head pushed out it went thank you god baby took off up that hill looking for its group stopped looked back at me i cried with joy so then long trek back to house all uphill  my arm killing me using cane but either that or crawl hoping jim would pull up but nope. i would stop but go again i was getting hot oh god please let me make it i got to feed the dogs. got in the house fed dogs open back door no more crying baby goat! i hate not being able to walk on my own hate always in pain hate not being able to ride no longer. joho my lower back hurts me too i hope my knees cause that can only get a few things fix oh this ac feels so good busy time for ac business i got tons of ac paper work to do but not today still got chores soon barn chores again.
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

neva

« Reply #26786 on: May 21, 2023, 05:35:41 PM »

Station ... 29:22     93°  (2:15 pm)  Bright sunny sky with a few clouds, and  breezy.

I hope your day is turning out to be a good one.

Cal ...  You sure are having a rough time!  That little goat was lucky that you were around.  You should really think about getting your knee surgeries.  I imagine you are thinking about who will do all the things that you do each day, if you take the time out to do this, and thinking that you can't, but if your knees get worse on their own, you may not be able to do these things anyway.  If Jim has any time off, coming up, maybe that would work.  Just a thought, and don't want to be too intrusive.

Joho  ...  Thanks. I am very good at vicarious living.  lol!   When my daughter, Susan, was in the Air Force, she was stationed in Southern Italy and then in Germany.  She traveled everywhere from England to Athens Greece, and all the places I would love to have gone to ( I studied these places in Art History)  I didn't get to go, but she did and it was wonderful to hear about it from her.  I love hearing about smaller trips too, and the fact that someone has gone out and had a really good day.

She even went to Pompeii near Mt. Vesuvius.   Wow!!
(J.W. Stephens)

calhound

« Reply #26787 on: May 22, 2023, 05:44:44 AM »

hi you guys its 52 here 48 in iceland 71 in kyiv 55 in the barn.

hi neva hi alice i have no one from the outside to help me really. not a huge job in the barn just huge cause of shape i am in. takes me alot longer but i can do it, jim can help picking up after indy and he emptied those buckets brings up big bales of hay and put some it in this box and that box so i can get it and put it in his feeder and sweets. jim knows i put dog food in each raccoonie pan at night and in the morning and on the sidewalk he cant fed the cats out there they hide from him but he can leave out food for them. he can go down the steps in the basement and fed my mom cats if needed i can feed others on the steps open door there are they are. have to feed barn birds mice fill water tank fill big bowl on the sidewalk by back door and on an on. i told him my knee is getting pretty bad they also grind. less work in the winter not all that mowing and doing hay and ac work and ford for jim i dont have mow the dogs yards and indys pasture mow the graves and jim has to be off work for me to get this done. if goat is stuck jim will have to go. and i will try to find a number i can call to report tim and his wife. maybe missy knows one. i cant sit and listen to a crying goat stuck in the fence i just cant. jim told me our old farrier still breaking horses on the ground he broke roxies years ago from the ground. not on her. he said he would go out and she would laying down sound asleep. snoring away. i said clyde has to be 80 now jim said he is but still breaking them he put an ac for clydes nephew. so maybe if nothing else send indy to him. i want jim to try that be nice halter and get that rope too i am ordering it today.  we have to get this under control indy just started this stuff and it needs to end. yesterday he charged maybe again jim yelled at him maybe got out he charges sweets but really sweets is aggravating pearl charged him too jumping up like that but next could be me.  neva so cool about your susan and her travels! i love hearing about that!  love hearing about johos day too! jim gets off ten days at christmas plant shuts down. alice i really dont want ca up here and him pick up indys poop lol sure. im not even going down there for christmas anymore spending christmas at my favorite place on earth my home. with my kids.

i watched this video and some other by this man neva his mule ranch is in az i want indy to mind like this!! he used to and now getting bad habits that need to stop we use to say well good he does not pull back and now he does but i think it is a mule thing that can be stopped

https://youtu.be/kalZfUM3-9Y

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/76055D53B77C?z=0

calhound

« Reply #26788 on: May 22, 2023, 05:49:45 AM »

video on the be nice halter i dont know if i can adjust right

https://youtu.be/B2Jmnb5YLzU

johoward

« Reply #26789 on: May 22, 2023, 07:55:02 AM »

4:56  Sunny and 50 now.
Did not catch anything yesterday.  Will try another day.  Did get to visit Joan's BFF Bonnie in her memory care unit.  She is happy.  Just misses her little dog.
Will go see Debbie today to give her some clippings from my paper that I think she will enjoy.  One is about $20 home decor fixes.  Last time I saw her she said she feels she does not have designer talents. So maybe these ideas will help her.
She went to ARF to volunteer yesterday and found that the dog we were looking at in the county pound a few weeks ago has been moved to ARF.  ARF is a no kill long term care and adoption agency in Columbia Station Ohio.  They are well funded and make sure pets get the vet care needed before adoption.  They have slightly higher adoption charges, but the animals are extremely well cared for.
I spent the evening with an old friend of ours named Karen. She was the only person who came to my door when Joan died.  I needed her DVD player (mine is broken) for a movie called The Endurance about Shackleton's legendary Antarctic expedition. Debbie's Ex, John, is a film addict.  He bought this movie and was so impressed with the story he insisted that Debbie get me to watch it.  I knew he would nag her until I did.  So I imposed on Karen.  I am glad I did.  We had a pleasant 4 hour visit, and it was really amazing what they accomplished.  I did not get home until after 10.
Well I will leave you now.  Cal that mule in the video was a very good mule but still seemed to show just a little stubbornness as is their rep.  Also Indy is better looking.
Sent some pics.  CUL EV1 GBU and GB Ukraine