Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Jewel and her cubs  (Read 622104 times)

calihoula

Re: Jewel and her cubs
« Reply #24960 on: May 21, 2022, 02:04:04 PM »

4:08 on beautiful toucan
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

neva

« Reply #24961 on: May 21, 2022, 06:58:09 PM »

Toucan ...  21:44       93°  (4:29 pm)  Sunny, no clouds, but a nice breeze.   11% humidity.  Not bad with shade and a breeze + H20

Hi everyone.   

I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your friend to Covid, Cal,  He had lived a full and good life and is missed by many, I'm sure.  I feel for his family. 

This morning I got a note from a very close friend.  Thankfully she has had all of her shots, but she has been exposed to Covid by her daughter and son-in-law who came up for a visit.  At first they thought it was something they ate, but now they are testing positive.  My friend Sandy is 85.   She is basically a strong woman, but of course, I am worried.  A teenaged grandson was exposed too.

What fun, Joho, you got the grand-furbaby over for a visit.   Is he a Boxer?  If you've already said, I have forgotten.  I love Boxers, I've had two of them.    My dad used to say that was a dog -- 'with a face that only a mother could love'.   I thought Max was beautiful.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2022, 07:00:01 PM by neva »
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
(J.W. Stephens)

calhound

• Eagle nest and Bear watcher since 2/23/11
« Reply #24962 on: May 22, 2022, 05:20:20 AM »

Spanky, Chloe et al., a Woodchuck Mother, and a Bright Bird - UPDATE May 21, 2022
Charlie Brown
Charlie Brown

Not a glimpse of Spanky or Chloe, but Lincoln and Charlie Brown let us know they are fine, ultra alert, and that Charlie Brown is Charlie Brown
Charlie Brown
beginning to exchange the nice brown fur on his face and forelegs for standard black (or close to black). Those are the parts that shed first. Soon a person will have to look twice to see if it is him when he has all dark fur. By next year, he’ll be faded to brown again. Not seeing either Chloe or Herbie today makes me wonder if they are together. They would be perfect mates if you ask me.

Ms. Woodchuck
Ms. Woodchuck
Also, we learned that the woodchuck who lives under the boiler shed is a mother (see picture) with babies that are called pups, kits, or cubs, depending on who you ask. Four to six is the most common litter size, and she is busy eating grass and raspberry leaves to make lots of milk. I’ve been wondering if we were going to see babies. Now I am looking forward to it.

Baltimore Oriole male
Baltimore Oriole male
A nice surprise was the first Baltimore Oriole I’ve seen here in years, and he waited outside the window just long enough for me to click the camera.

I am looking to see if Chloe and Herbie show up together.

Thank you for all you do,
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calhound

« Reply #24963 on: May 22, 2022, 05:50:39 AM »

hi you guys its 43 here nice and half moon out. 54 in the barn two raccoonies maybe pearl sweets birds mice no snake. i hope spanky is okay little woodchuck is cute now she has kids to take of. if she needs food herself dr rogers will help her.

Hi Neva i hope your friend will be okay still scary about covid they need to make vaccine last a year and insurance covers it or medicare not bidens job anymore and now i saw on news monkey pox showing up. i am happy that i love being at home. very sad to read about bill i thought that too neva truly what a loss for his family and everyone he touched. i hope ukraine will win this and something happens to putin cause dont ever see him stopping otherwise. japan wanting to defend itself not have to rely on us pearl harbor was bad reason jp signed up for the navy. bidens has alot on him.

GB Ukraine and everyone

joho my favorite retired vet now Ed boxer was his breed.

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/BA055D588782?z=0
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

johoward

« Reply #24964 on: May 22, 2022, 09:59:17 AM »

6:50 again LOL  Half mile walk in this morning at 7am.  Nice out then, and even nicer now.  60 degrees at 11 am.
Well with all your loving comments about all your Boxer dogs, I am reluctant to relate Boss's and my experiences with the breed.  Let me just say we have been annoyed to different degrees, sometimes violently, several times over the past in many locations, and each time a boxer was involved.
 Boss is a large size, 65 lb., pit bull.  Debbie had his ancestry tested last week by DNA.  I have not seen the report yet. Will let you know what it says when I can.  I did have a pleasant visit with him sleeping most of the time.  He did not want to eat anything while he was here, nor did he drink.  We did walk the back yard where it took two laps for him to finally relieve himself.  He walked well at heel for me, and was a good dog all day.  Later, He brought his bed from across the room.  He put it close to my feet, and went back to sleep. He did this right after I told him he could not be on the couch with me.  Debbie saw him do this, and was glad to see Boss loves me. 
Well I have heard that all visitors make us happy.  Some when they arrive, and some when they leave. So I will leave now, and let you decide which it is for me. LOL    Hope you have a blessed Sunday.
CUL EV1 GBU and GB Ukraine

calihoula

« Reply #24965 on: May 22, 2022, 01:24:41 PM »

hi joho i have never owned a boxer but always liked eds. jim loves mastiffs i loved them too griz part mastiff they are huge 200 plus lbs and mean to strangers so lots of care with them putting them up whenever company comes something i did with all my dogs except josie my little peekapoo and sasha little terrior. our  chows mean our german shepherds mean to company  girls put up they too are mean aggressive. cali is not she can stay out ca really likes her had no company for a long time in the house . that duane said putin has a side had mean dog part wolf shepherd bit many he got sued i told him very irresponsible of him!  no more dogs after these. maybe depending on how i am where i am living rescue a little old dog that no one wanted. boss was a good boy for you. pit bull is my cousin janices son dil dog breed they have two missys daughter has one very nice dogs but still a big dog should be put up with company.
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

neva

« Reply #24966 on: May 22, 2022, 07:08:57 PM »

Thai Boat ...  25:53        94°  (4:41 pm)   Was overcast earlier, now the sun is out.  There is a light breeze.  Not bad.  Of course, I'm inside with the cooler.   😊

I hope your day is going well.

You are right about knowing your dog, Cal and acting accordingly.  When my kids were kids, we moved to an apartment across the courtyard from where my brother, Heston lived.  I walked over there and knocked on his door, and he answered with his Australian Shepherd, Alex.  My daughter, Gabi was with me.  He said, "Don't worry, he doesn't bite."   As the words were coming out of his mouth, Alex jumped up and bit Gabi in the cheek, drawing blood.  My brother was so shocked, and I said to him, "You are so lucky I am your sister."  I didn't even allow people to approach Maddie and pat her.

You can't own a Boxer without knowing what is the one problem with that breed,  The male dogs like to fight other dogs.  I have been through it,  You have to be very aware of it, and a step ahead of whatever the situation is.  So happens, I could control the two that I had (owned at different times).  They are good family dogs and I still love the ones that I had, even though ...   

I won't let a Pit Bull in my house, and that is probably not fair.  My son says his is a great dog.  The Boxers didn't target people.
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
(J.W. Stephens)

calhound

« Reply #24967 on: May 23, 2022, 05:25:35 AM »

hi you guys its 44 here and clear two raccoonies in the barn its 55 in there. would like to mow in the pasture today but i dont know lots to do of course.

hi neva yes i know that is true with dogs how scary for all of you. i just keep my dogs up. boxer is a breed off a mastiff i tell you them boys liked to pick fights with each other esp augie and wiggie then augie and drama boo. had to keep them apart even after being tutored. my one chow when she was little even bit my granny granny had insisted on picking her up she was so cute she did not bite hard but hard enough. when missys use to bring her kids i put the dogs up for sure libby was sad cause she wanted to see them no libby not at all. even some cats need their space and of course pearl and sweets do too. :) heck watch out for me at times! i like the names of neva and heston. libby can not bring chloe her pit bull over to missys house she will not let it in either. kitchen coyotes going at it good jim has already left. girls jumping up barking i was yelling at them to please stop it do not knock me down its hurts to fall jim says im leaving your in a bad mood i thought good leave cause he have them one at a time for not even 5 minutes and bring back in the kitchen to me. good you got that cooler!!

Hi Joho! Have you been watching blacklist?

GB Ukraine!

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/57055D59C300?z=0

calihoula

« Reply #24968 on: May 23, 2022, 07:35:41 AM »

The world is in more peril from those who tolerate evil or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it.” -Dr. Albert Einstein, March 30 1953

johoward

« Reply #24969 on: May 23, 2022, 08:35:25 AM »

6:11 my time.  I should just write it down and skip it. LOL
Thanks guys for confirming what I have seen in boxer behavior is normal.  Not just my imagination or prejudice.  I have been leery of Pitbulls too over the years due to publicity.  Now having spent two years with Boss, I find that he is gentle, predictable, and obedient in his behavior.  The worst thing is he likes to catch bees and flies,  and can jump very high to get them.  Scares Debbie.  He also has not figured out that fences are to restrain him, and not challenge his jumping ability.  He loves jumping fences. 
OK then. Time for me to go for a walk.  It is cloudy and 54 degrees at 9:35am.  Nice for walking.  Later I will go for milk and bread.
CUL EV1 GBU and GB Ukraine

calihoula

« Reply #24970 on: May 23, 2022, 11:57:10 AM »

hi joho so funny on your puzzle times! :) i hate it when dogs get out of their fence. its was put up for a reason dogs! i had to watch penny now she has been coming right back in. but i can plug it in! might not work but can try.

hi neva i saw that einstein deal and i dont agree with it. putin the worse period. i was going to send it to duane for his putin thinking but just staying away from him. on putin side stay away from me. i saw while back steel workers on that bus to russia pow camp young woman fighter with her dog dogs head in her lap i wailed and wailed made myself sick over it cant get it outta my head. wanted to send that to duane but again he lost a friend over putin. so i read and google trying to find out about them. read russia going to swap more prisoners they want that one guy ukraine got awhile back he is godfather to one of putins daughters.

god please help

obi wan kenobi

calihoula

« Reply #24971 on: May 23, 2022, 02:04:02 PM »

hi again you guys mowed i say upper but lower horse pasture graves there also fed dogs putting up my dogs not only keep people safe but my dogs too. they bite someone and even though had all shots in THEIR home they would get in trouble go to vet lock up ten days  >:( that would kill my dog and me so could have a suer and that would be bad cause in my home friend or family i had forgotten had to keep boo from griz boo stick his head over this solid wooden half gate which girls chewed a big hole in it did not go thru so we put metal chairs on boos side in livingroom in front of his gate and one in kitchen for griz.

calhound

« Reply #24972 on: May 24, 2022, 05:27:46 AM »

Tasha, Lily, Others, and a Big Move - UPDATE May 23, 2022
Tasha taking a bath
Tasha

A couple days ago, Tasha gave a 29-second tutorial on how to relax on a chilly day when you still have your winter coat. Nice

https://www.facebook.com/NorthAmericanBearCenter/videos/1364040214078490

Woodchuck carrying her baby
Woodchuck carrying her baby
We’re still waiting to see Lily and how she did having cubs this past January. Carolyn and Katrina have been seen with their cubs, but mothers with cubs are generally the last bears to appear in spring, so we’re not worried—just anxious to see her.

Chloe and Herbie haven’t been seen for a couple days now, causing increased speculation that they are having a secret rendezvous. Hoping we learn for sure, one way or the other. Meanwhile, Lincoln and Charlie Brown are showing up daily to say they’re okay.Woodchuck lactating for 4
Woodchuck lactating for 4

People are asking how we explain the mother bear that came through a window and injured a couple living in Wisconsin. The whole thing is so rare that my only guess is that this mother, who has to be one in a million when it comes to aggressive anxiety, ended up cornered inside a house with the couple too close for comfort. For such occurrences, I imagine a bell shaped curve with her behavior being far out on the tip of one of the legs. Very abnormal. Bears that lose fear of people do not do that.

Woodchuck eating grass
Woodchuck eating grass
Today, Peggy photographed something I’ve never seen—a mother woodchuck carrying her four babies in her mouth, one at a time, to a different burrow (1:35 PM to 1:55 PM). Satisfied with their new location, the mother turned to foraging on grass and raspberry leaves. I don’t know why she moved them, but it was interesting to see that only four of her six mammaries were enlarged—the same number as her babies.

Thank you for all you do,
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center

calhound

« Reply #24973 on: May 24, 2022, 05:32:30 AM »

hi you guys its 56 here rain is on its way.  :( at least i got mowing done yesterday. two raccoonies waiting for me as i walked out my door followed me to the barn maybe so happy to see me. pearl sweets too. fun update today. those baby woodchucks are just too cute. God is good.

got to pick up groceries and tons to do cul

GB Ukraine!

http://www.jigzone.com/t/jz/jzG/Icelandic_Poppy.jpg

calihoula

« Reply #24974 on: May 24, 2022, 01:24:52 PM »

hi you guys i watch some of harry potter last night and doesnt dobby look like putin