Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Jewel and her cubs  (Read 630135 times)

johoward

Re: Jewel and her cubs
« Reply #23715 on: August 02, 2021, 07:13:12 AM »

4:02 a new record for me and very fast too.  Gonna be a good day. Very nice out.  60 degrees and sunny.  Debbie went to a Marblehead cabin for a Lake Erie vacation.  Hope she likes it.  She likes warm better than cool.  Especially along the lake shore where the cold is more intense.
 Rehab at 10 am.  Need to get cleaned up for that so I don't offend.
No baby cams this morning.  Oh well guess summer is over.  Time for breakups and migrations to start. 
Same old games on my tv. No new stuff. Swim and run .  Swim and dive.  Swim and high jump.  A tie for crying out loud.  They should jump until they have a clear winner.  Use endurance instead of just height. IMO
Glad Cal found horse race.  Sounds exciting . Got to go CUL GB

calhound

• Eagle nest and Bear watcher since 2/23/11
« Reply #23716 on: August 03, 2021, 05:49:23 AM »

Moments of Tension - UPDATE August 2, 2021
Cubs coming into view by Zerwick
Cubs coming into view by Zerwick
The cubs mother
The cubs mother
Cubs racing up white pine
Cubs racing up white pine
This little drama began when group member Lorie Zerwick snapped a cell phone picture of two cubs walking out of a white pine grove. Their unknown mother soon following after running off a young male that was too close.

In this year of berry crop failures, bears are undoubtedly traveling far, and we are seeing bears that are not members of the local Shadow’s Clan.

Mother looking up white pine
Mother looking up white pine
Mother climbing white pine
Mother climbing white pine
Cub joining family
Cub joining family
Suddenly, for no obvious reason, the cubs raced for nearby white pines and climbed high. The mother retreated to the grove of trees. When a cub huffed its anxiety, the mother looked up the tree and shortly climbed high to the cub. We all felt sorry for the cub that was in a nearby tree by itself. Would it dare to leave the safety of the tree to join its family? To our surprise, the cub did just that. From its high vantage point, it scanned the forest floor, slid down, tore through the underbrush, and picked the right trunk to join them.

Seeing how bears solve problems and express their emotions in various situations is always intriguing.

Thank you for all you do.
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calhound

« Reply #23717 on: August 03, 2021, 05:52:53 AM »

hi you guys its 58 here moments of tension turned out okay.

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/31055D4DA006?z=0
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

johoward

« Reply #23718 on: August 03, 2021, 10:41:19 AM »

6:01 nice moose.  Had to cancel trip to Ely.  It is 14hours by car.  That is too far for me at this time.  I thought it was only 8 hours, and I could do it in a day.  When I put the address for the motel into my gps it said over 14 hours.  So it is a no go for now.  Also back is still bad every morning.  Leg is getting better, but back is not.
No babies on cam for me now.  No cam at all at TV in Marshall.
 So I will go for a ride in the country.  Day is great 73 degrees and bright.  Just a fine August day.  Each year I am surprised at how nice it is in August around here.
Thanks again for puzzle and update Cal.  Be well.

CUL EV1 GB

calhound

« Reply #23719 on: August 04, 2021, 06:37:28 AM »

hi you guys its really nice here 58 but later this afternoon winds shift to the south this weekend back 100 plus  :(

hi joho that is way too far for me too. and i have tons of animals depending on me use a walker or my scooter i can drive find but that is way too far. you had a big surgery too and yes just too far sure plenty to find to do right where you live. yes like a ride in the country i do that all that time :) have not been out on my 4 wheeler all year long maybe when it gets cooler jim and i can do that before winter propane people bringing our summer fill at 7:30 am getting ready for winter. no tv cam sad about that but it was great to get to watch them.

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/4C055D5B1B17?z=0

calhound

« Reply #23720 on: August 04, 2021, 10:25:13 AM »

Happy Birthday Nora!

calhound

« Reply #23721 on: August 05, 2021, 05:51:13 AM »

Cub Day - UPDATE August 4, 2021
Cubs of new mom
Cubs of new mom
Charlie Brown
Charlie Brown
Cubs and new mom
Cubs and new mom
It was excitement all day with participants snapping pictures of five mothers and their 12 cubs, including two new mothers we don’t know. Here are three pictures from participants—one of Charlie Brown and two of one of the new families. The three known mothers were Chloe, Lucy, and Daisy.

Thank you for all you do.
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center

calhound

« Reply #23722 on: August 05, 2021, 05:54:18 AM »

hi you guys its 68 here light rain i got so much too do cul gb

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/37055D55424B?z=0

johoward

« Reply #23723 on: August 05, 2021, 08:20:44 AM »

6 minutes on the horse and 5:57 on the giraffe.  Went to county fair last evening.  Wore a mask most of the time.  Did not see many others. Was nice to be able to walk around.  I took the walker with 4 wheels so I could sit when I was tired and to eat stuff.  It was a nice evening.  Just perfect for a fair.  Finally got home about 10 pm, and was comfortably tired out.
 Back is killing me again this morning, and I have to go get ready for rehab now.  Soo CUL  GB

calhound

« Reply #23724 on: August 05, 2021, 10:29:54 AM »

hi joho i am thinking of getting a walker with 4 wheels instead of my two wheel one could move faster do you have to worry about brakes on one of them? i dont want that kind you can also sit on just a walker with 4 wheels push it i sit on my scooter alot when i use it to do stuff. it does have a parking brake but i blew that spring out and tried to fix it but spring just pops way out so no parking brake on it anymore. its been thru hell so has my mom walker.  :)  have a good rehab day i forgot yesterday we had a bad air day hazy cause of fires fires from canada today little better did you have that too?

johoward

« Reply #23725 on: August 05, 2021, 04:15:27 PM »

hi ev1,
No smoke here that I have heard of or smelled yet.  The walker I keep in my car and use on long walks is one that Joan used for many years.  It does have brakes that you can set so it stays put when you are trying to get up from seated.  This is critical to prevent falls.  I did have to adjust the brakes once when she first got it, but they have been reliable for years now.  It has four six inch wheels and does not do well on loose stones.  It is very handy for resting when needed.  Like when I am fishing from the dock. LOL
Was very tired this afternoon and laid down at 2. Now it is 5 and I missed the whole afternoon.  Don't know what I will do for supper yet.  Was going to the fair again, but now it is too late.  The line waiting to buy a ticket is too long at this time.  I may just go fishing somewhere, and grab a sandwich on the way.  I have a lot of coupons in my car. I think that is what I will do.  So cul  GB

calhound

« Reply #23726 on: August 06, 2021, 05:50:23 AM »

hi you guys its 68 here but not as cool got to go to the bank feed store walmart pickup pictures of susies damaged got in a bid to rebuild it just like it was clean up 80,000 not counting the new cement floor that would be another 19,000 and not counting replacing her trees and hauling off old trailer he is waiting for that bid and this does not count electrical stuff either i hope this man pays attention to his fires lots of damage and grief lucky no one was hurt or any animals that i know of hope no little birds or wildlife got killed in his mistake.

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/0D055D4C3203?z=0

calhound

« Reply #23727 on: August 06, 2021, 11:35:25 AM »

joho i just came back in my office and tried the tv cam and got it no tvs but can see inside the barn again.

calhound

« Reply #23728 on: August 06, 2021, 11:37:20 AM »

johoward

« Reply #23729 on: August 06, 2021, 09:56:46 PM »

5:42  Just got back from fair  good time. Wore my mask all day. lots of horses and 4H riding contests. They had 20 classes with four ribbons in each class.  The number of horses in each class varied some, but was between five and nine. They had 8 entries in the stick horse class.  Age range from tiny to toddler.  This was the cutest class.  The tiny riders seemed to have only one speed, fast. LOL  The others tried to follow the ring masters calls, but some just did not know what they meant.  So they did what they thought was wanted.  Very entertaining, and as I said the cutest.  One boy had a loose head on his mount.  So he had to hold the stick with one hand and the head with his other hand.  This worked well for him until he won a ribbon and had no hand to carry it.  He looked stunned until his mom ran out into the ring and took the ribbon for him.  Did I mention this was the cutest class?
 Lots of nice people and good stuff to eat too.  Not enough to drink though.  I am dry.
So since tit is late I will take a peek at the TV and head for bed.  GN GB