Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Jewel and her cubs  (Read 630921 times)

calhound

• Eagle nest and Bear watcher since 2/23/11
Re: Jewel and her cubs
« Reply #23325 on: April 27, 2021, 09:02:59 AM »

Daily Updates
Jewel and Four Yearlings - UPDATE April 26, 2021
26 April 2021
 Print Email
Yearling Flynn
Yearling Flynn
4 yearlings
4 yearlings
Jewel
Jewel

Each year, it’s especially exciting to see bears we know especially well show up a year older. Today, it was 12-year-old Jewel and her four yearlings: females Ivy and Andrea and males Flynn and Fletcher. Jewel posed for a profile to show the bump on her muzzle that separates her from all the others. Flynn was nice to stand so the landowner could catch the chest blaze that identifies him. The yearlings all look in good shape.

Thank you for all you do.
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center

Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calhound

« Reply #23326 on: April 27, 2021, 09:10:35 AM »

hi you guys look its jewel in the update! :) her kids look great!

hi joho i parked right up front handicap still long ways for me to walk and that deal that goes around i hit go slower then hope i make it got to patient reg and said i need a wheelchair and this very nice old lady got me good cause way down this hallway then way down this one elevator then way down this one and way down that one. my wrist deal still one have to take that off she said my ekg looked good and i did not need a blood test cause i take no medicine none i said i look good on paper but outside needs alot work. my foot was killing me.  so got lots to do again today called my sister twice but not heard from her so hope she is okay i had my two raccoonies early this morning coming for little debbie fancy cakes.

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/00055D4F7C67?z=0
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

lupinelady

« Reply #23327 on: April 27, 2021, 09:32:27 AM »

good morning- good to see Jewel and her yearlings- they all look great!!
cal- glad you're done with tests. I take no medicine either and health professionals are astounded when they come across people like us.
I took smokey in to get his stitches out this morning. Vet said he looked good- they didn't have to sedate him so he got his last antibiotic in canned food when he got home. We are going to give him access to the rest of the house today- see how that goes.
cul

johoward

« Reply #23328 on: April 27, 2021, 11:19:07 AM »

Hi Ya'll,

7:41 No brag just fact. LOL  75 degrees right now. Cal sounds like you are generally healthy.  You too Lupine.  I take a load of pills.  Have done so for years.  My doctor gave me no choice. It was pills or organ failure.  He was right I think, because I am mostly OK except for Arthur.
 Going out soon to try to enjoy it.  May try a little catch and release brim fishing.  Or maybe try a little bicycle ride.  Not sure yet. Maybe just a nap. Got up pretty early.  Will have some chili and ham sandwich first I think.  Will have to shop a little while I am out too.

Would like to take a nice long walk, but have to wait for that.  Looked at knee video on YouTube.  Looks like something I can do.

Good all your pets are OK today, and all our wild babies are doing good.  Very nice to see our namesake Jewel with her four beautiful cubs.  I have not looked in on Ely yet, but I did see some good footage at Snowman cam at dawn.

CUL GB

calihoula

« Reply #23329 on: April 27, 2021, 11:23:03 AM »

hi lupe! so happy to hear how good smokey did! he did great hope he enjoys the run of the house hope izzy enjoys that too. yes they are astonished no meds i never even think about that but we are lucky there. i have to hear no weight on my right foot let that fuse etc well when you are sitting down how do you get up. i have to push off on something to get up off the floor and put some weight on both feet i might be able to push on my moms walker oh shoot now its my walker on the side bars push up then i can walk with it hopping like a crutch but not get to my bathroom in my bedroom here. on a short break my foot said will you sit down so nice people volunteer to help at the hospital.

hi rues hay ra reminded me sat kentucky derby i will tape it still have last years remember the filly won i was rooting for her cause it was a her! and she was terrific too.  tell crow sat derby
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

calihoula

« Reply #23330 on: April 27, 2021, 11:29:24 AM »

hi joho my mom had chf and she took lots of pills too she did not complain just did it and everyday she got in her car and ran the stores church sales i went over on saturdays and she wore out me and sister no mom we will wait in the car. im working on catch and release of mice in our attic got new live traps they go in door shuts tight plastic so they can chew out which is good in case they are forgotten i dont forget caught five today long trek up to the attic and then out to the barn break over cul gb yes release the fish please
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

johoward

« Reply #23331 on: April 27, 2021, 07:43:36 PM »

Went for bike ride instead no fish were harmed by me today   I did ride along Lake Erie and saw several boats enjoying the South wind and calm seas.
 Doctor told me today to stay elevated after surgery. Higher the better.  No laying on low stuff. at all for a while. FYI
I will add 6 inch seat and two hand hold  bars to toilet so I can be higher.  It is easier to get up then.  I do not have to use only one leg though.  Both mine  will be usable.  So with only one weight bearing leg high would be way better than low.  I will also put Joan's bench in shower.
Going to be a rough couple of months for us I fear.  To start I have to go without most of my meds for a week or more before the surgery.  That means a lot of pain for me.  I will do it, but not like it. There is a YouTube video showing everything about hip and knee replacement.  I watched it all and I feel more prepared than before.
Tired now.  Eys wtering so I will say GN GB

calhound

« Reply #23332 on: April 28, 2021, 05:11:38 AM »

Daily Updates
2021 Spanky! - UPDATE April 27, 2021 
27 April 2021
 Print Email
20210427 Spanky walking
Spanky approaching
Suddenly, there he was, officially ending his hibernation story, standing there at 6 years of age and weighing 248 pounds. And there was the face we have been seeing in the den. He has finally left his denning area and come home, Spanky
Spanky
so to speak. Another chapter into the records. It felt good to see him calm and confortable but at times wary of sounds or smells I couldn’t detect.

It’s time to thank the den watchers who have shown such dedication and to all who made the den cam possible, including the DNR.

Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center

calhound

« Reply #23333 on: April 28, 2021, 05:20:15 AM »

hi you guys update is great on spanky! what a pretty boy stay close to dr rogers and them spanky and you will okay!

hi joho i am accepting what will be this friday. i can hardly walk now anyway getting worse every day so just get it fixed. and do not blow up either. have to pick up online groceries very soon. will be nice to able to go in walmart again.you will be fine with the pain for a week i hope when my surgery is done i will be leaving this pain behind me. good no fish hurt!

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/44055D5A0DCC?z=0

johoward

« Reply #23334 on: April 28, 2021, 08:04:22 AM »

5:59 not too bad.  Need MRI/cat scan they say for robotic guidance. I am claustrophobic. This added to my respect for JP and his time aboard a sub.
 Anyway,  I don't do well in a tube with my nose touching the roof and my arms restricted. I am freaking out already just thinking of it.  Was hard to sleep last night.
 They told me I would need a cat scan, but now I have "the packet", and it says MRI  Not sure I can get through it.  Will ask my doctor to sedate me for the duration just so I have a chance.  I hope it is all worth it.
 Really would be nice to walk in the woods again, and do stairs.  Have to keep reminding myself that a lot of things will be easier and more fun.  Right now I am functional, but severely limited.  Not fun.  Yesterday I stopped at a new park.  They had a short paved path to a pier, and a much longer gravel path around a large pond.  My bike was not allowed off the paved trail.  So I could not go see the rest of the pond. I wanted to.
Well second coffee and paper are waiting.  So I will say so long for now and CUL.  GB

calihoula

« Reply #23335 on: April 28, 2021, 05:49:49 PM »

hi joho oh im very claustrophobic when i had on couple years ago on my right knee torn menesca got the open mri well it was state of art at excelsior tomorrow i will post a pic of it richmond hosp has one too it really big like a big half tube but its big joho and with my knee my chest and head not in it they had stuff painted on the ceiling i counted them man doing it very very nice talked to,me am i okay yes he ask what music i wanted to hear i picked the beatles singing yellow sub. black birds it was not real loud either it was the best mri i ever got my rotator cuff laid on hard table was open but not really a huge white disk over me over my face sides open but big deal i focused on looking out side at jims boot my shoulder was so painful hard mri dr buzzard gave me something for it take 10 min before did not work at all got out went to eat at 54 street grill and it worked jim carried me out to the truck. my very first one dr thought i could not hear out of my left ear due to a brain tumor was that tube never again no brain tumor birth defect. i was using my walker not using my right foot trying to get down those two steps into the garage i only need to step on my back heel on right foot dr said in two week would let me do that a little oh i will be gone then! i can get in my car i can hop with that walker even pull myself up in certain places without stepping down on that right foot. its getting worse too. looks so awful going to take a pic of it tomorrow. there must be a mri like i got near you. dad davis who was not a small man when he needed one his face on that tube they pulled him out gave him valium then did it but after that he got an open one jim had to have one it was a tube he barely fit after it said not doing that again.

johoward

« Reply #23336 on: April 28, 2021, 07:35:23 PM »

I am seeing my doctor on Friday.  He knows me and what I need.  I will ask him to knock me out. He will give me a prescription.  I will take it early on the day.  Then take some more when it gets closer.  I will need a driver and probably a wheelchair too. LOL
Tired CUL EV1 GN GB

calhound

« Reply #23337 on: April 29, 2021, 06:50:16 AM »

Daily Updates
Valentine and Yearlings - UPDATE April 28, 2021 
28 April 2021
 Print Email
Valentine Blaze
Valentine Blaze
20210428 Valentine
Valentine

Valentine’s cubs both survived to become yearlings with prominent chest blazes similar to their mom’s. Valentine had two brown cubs as a 3-year-old in 2019 as are shown in pictures and a video in this update from May 28, 2019. https://www.bearstudy.org/website/updates/daily-updates/3907-valentine-and-her-two-brown-cubs-update-may-28-2019.html , but they disappeared shortly after that, making us wonder if Valentine did the same thing Lily did in 2010—come into heat and go off and mate. Valentine was back with two more cubs in 2020 that we have seen the last several evenings looking fit and strong. I wasn’t able get pictures of them, though. I only got these ID pictures of Valentine to be sure who she is for the record. It’s her alright RC’s daughter that was born in January 2016. As in the update of May 28, 2019, she has the rare, brownish patches on her forehead, the distinguished chest blaze, and a small white mark on her upper right chest. I didn’t get the white mark in a picture but saw it clearly. Such data helps us continue to continue, and sometimes correct, the record of Shadow’s clan that we have kept these many years. Here are the two pictures we took recently to compare with the video and pictures from May 27 and 28, 2019. The story goes on.

calhound

« Reply #23338 on: April 29, 2021, 06:54:27 AM »

hi you guys good to see valentine!

Hi joho okay i just want you to be okay. i was up and down all night i am nervous about tomorrow catch 22 want it fix but dont want to be down. yes i will need a wheelchair walker scooter all of it.

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/91055D5AB48D?z=0

hi lupe! how did smokey do in the house?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 06:57:30 AM by calhound »

johoward

« Reply #23339 on: April 29, 2021, 07:48:17 AM »

Hi EV!,
7:52 on the seahorse.  No comment. LOL
  I am more concerned about my MRI than I am about having my leg sliced open.  Go figure.
 But like Cal says time to end the continuous suffering.  If it takes some more intense suffering, but one that will hopefully end someday, so be it.  Let's go.
Nice update.  Now coffee is waiting.
CUL GB