Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Jewel and her cubs  (Read 630738 times)

calhound

• Eagle nest and Bear watcher since 2/23/11
Re: Jewel and her cubs
« Reply #23280 on: April 18, 2021, 07:30:13 AM »

hi you guys. its 44 here i hope that cub will be okay looks pretty bad. poor bears and little bears poor animals everywhere. got howling going on in the kitchen time to go out give pearl her medicine and more hay

hi joho hope your lunch went good and you had fun. my foot is very sore this morning price for wearing my shoe to the barn i think. jim yelling at the dogs i gotta go gb thank you for being my friend

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/B4055D5786D0?z=0

Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

johoward

« Reply #23281 on: April 18, 2021, 08:09:06 AM »

Hi ev1  6:54 on finch.  YVW Cal.  Thanks for posting update and puzzle.  Only in 30s here today but dry so not too bad.  Did have a nice visit with Mary and Matt.  They brought take out from a good Italian restaurant. I had good spaghetti and meatballs.  They each had some favorite of theirs which I could not pronounce or remember.  They both did look good though.
 So if it happens again I will ask what they were eating this time.  Mary called Shannon to let her know they were headed to her next to fix her phone. Shannon said, "where is my invite".  Sorry Shannon my bad. Some other time soon for sure.   
Computer did not want to work this morning.  I suspect Windstream is getting even with me for switching to Spectrum internet.  So don't be surprised or worried if I am off air now and then.
See y'all later.  GB

ruesgram

« Reply #23282 on: April 18, 2021, 02:39:00 PM »

Hi Jewelies! Finally put the mulch down this morning. Took us 2 hours because neighbors stopped and talked and talked! Not complaining. Hadn't talked to a couple of them since last summer. Still have no idea what to plant where tree once stood. I'm taking my time to decide. Didn't realize how big the tree's foot print was. We planted grass seed and had to go to Lowe's for a bale of straw to cover the grass seed.

Cal, have you watched Blacklist? Happy and sad. Looks like Liz will be on next week. Wish I hadn't read the part in the update about the injured cub. I hope he can overcome his injuries. :'(

Jo, I always get fettuccine or spaghetti when we go Italian! I'm with you when it comes to pronouncing some of the Italian foods!

Lupe, glad that Smokey tested negative! Hope he has an easy time recuperating. When the Humane Society spayed Maui they tattooed her belly with green ink. Apparently so she is easily identified as being spayed. I know the feral cats that live around the shelter have their ear tipped so they are identified as spayed or neutered. Good idea, I think.  Lots blooming in your yard now?

Tomorrow I'm helping my sister take Madison and Hattie to the vet! She doesn't think she can handle both dogs. Hattie is very rambunctious which causes normally calm Madison to get frustrated. Then they get in a tussle and all heck breaks loose! Wish me luck! Lol!

Have a nice evening! Stay safe! :)

calhound

« Reply #23283 on: April 19, 2021, 07:12:29 AM »

hi you guys its 39 here snow coming tomorrow.

hi rues i watched blacklist last night. your right it was happy and sad and action filled. i liked it took place in a small town in kansas. red in kansas and in love and then there was spoiler liz.  :( i mowed yesterday it was cool out and my turkey vultures flew overhead so low i could see their eyes such a beautiful bird. so graceful in the skies. got the dogs yard all mowed and side yard took a while but i got it done. good luck today with madison and hattie what are they going for?

hi joho when i mowed i had to watch out for many holes. need to fill them in with more dirt again. i saw brownie digging close to the fence so i hate too but maybe time to plug that electric fence back in. jim put on around the dogs fence just stick in those white plastic post run the fence thru it attach that to the box plug it in. it only took once for each dog and stayed away from it for over a year. i hated to hear them cry but sick of them getting out and they could get hurt badly.

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/80055D5B37C8?z=0
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calhound

« Reply #23284 on: April 19, 2021, 07:17:40 AM »

rues sent you an email

calhound

« Reply #23285 on: April 19, 2021, 07:23:09 AM »

sent you one too joho gotta go

johoward

« Reply #23286 on: April 19, 2021, 07:39:51 AM »

Hi EV1.
4:52 thanks Cal for posting this dog shame and puzzle this morning.  I look for them every day, and appreciate your efforts and your stories.  It is about 40 degrees here this morning.  It is like Winter just does not want to go.  I am glad I was able to get my sore feet fixed, and can where my old boots again.  Now if I can get this knee done this summer, maybe I can travel to say even Ely to see the bears.  That would be nice if I can walk to do the behind the scenes walk.  I am hoping it will happen.  I will make an appointment to see Debbie's bone surgeon soon, and go from there.  Hopefully by say June or July I can walk without support.
BTW our best pitcher is in the paper today for setting a new record of 10 strike outs in each of his first 4 games of the season.  His name makes me think of a singer,.  It is Bieber, and he is good.  Wish we could clone him.
Lots of bear activity.  Especially Tasha, and even Lucky.  I love it, and want to be there when I can. Also, the MN and North eaglets are looking so good.  The little ones are starting to fight back for food, and look like they will survive.  Nature is so rough sometimes. Great to see the egg in GSB falcon box. I did not look yet today. There may be more by now. I will go see.
CUL GB

ruesgram

« Reply #23287 on: April 19, 2021, 06:59:36 PM »

Hi Jewelies! The vet trip with my 2 nieces went well! I was in charge of Hattie. She refused to get into the Jeep so sis had to pick her up and put her in.  Then she refused to go into the vet office. Sis said Hattie doesn't like to go thru strange doors! I had to pick her up to get her inside. She laid quietly next to Madison in the waiting room. Then they called us into the exam room. Once again Hattie balked at the door. I scooted her inside the room. Once the door was closed she was ok. She got the last of her puppy shots and a rabies shot. She had gained weight. Vet said she looked good! Madison is 10 and has what my sis calls doggie Crohn's disease. She has had gurgly gut, diarrhea and lack of appetite occasionally for years. It has a name that I couldn't begin to tell you what it is! But this flare up has lasted longer. The vet put her on 2 different meds. She also said that Madison could be stressed out because of the rambunctious puppy. Sis agreed. She had thought that, too. The vet bill with  Madison's meds, Hattie's flea meds and the office call totaled $519! Yikes! We took the girls home and then sis and I ran out to our parents gravesite. We had forgotten to put Easter flowers on their grave! They are on there now just two weeks late!

Cal, I wanted Red and Anne to live happily ever after! But then there would be no more Blacklist! I hope somehow they can be together. I've seen several turkey vultures gliding in the air recently. They are so graceful. Wouldn't it be cool to fly like that? We have freeze warnings Wednesday night. That may cause some damage to a lot of plants. I think I'd take snow over freeze warnings!

Jo, my neighbor had out patient knee replacement surgery a couple months ago! I never heard of that before. She then had outpatient rehab and was out walking  around the neighborhood with no crutches or cane in  just a short time! Crow had his knee replacement about 15 years ago, spent a week in the hospital and then went to outpatient rehab for several weeks. He was on crutches and then graduated to a cane. Seemed like it took weeks and weeks for him to be back to walking normally! He is glad he had the knee replaced.

Take care! Stay safe! :)

calhound

« Reply #23288 on: April 20, 2021, 06:30:27 AM »

Daily Updates
Spanky, a Correction, and RC’s Injured Yearling - UPDATE April 19, 2021
19 April 2021
 Print Email
Dark eyed junco (WRI file photo)
Dark eyed junco (WRI file photo)

Spanky has now been gone for three days again. Does this mean he is truly gone, or will he come back again like he did after the 3 days of absence when we took the camera down on the 13th. Now, since 2:16 AM on April 16, there has been no sign of him. I’ve been checking the trail cam near his den, and I’ve repeatedly peeked in his den in case the trail cam missed something. This morning, I wondered if he might be back due to the snowfall, but he wasn’t. No tracks and no bear. We’ll see what we find in the next few days.

Checking around his den, I noticed that I made a mistake in saying he had climbed 12 feet up the little red pine to mark it. The highest FRESH markings are about 6 feet. The higher ones are old. I wonder if he has denned under this porch before during his 6 years of life.

Regarding the injured yearling, a trail cam here at the WRI showed it eating and chewing alongside his mother like any other bear. No sign of pain. No sign of infection. Black bears are highly successful in fighting infection.

I’ve thought how to help it and think the best thing is to provide food and see how it does. I don’t see how a veterinarian could help with its missing lips and eyelids. If it were in pain, euthanasia might be humane, but my permit does not allow that or taking it to a veterinarian. Anything I would consider doing I would do in concert with the DNR. Its lack of lips means it will have to pick berries with its teeth. When it was eating grass, it was biting the grass just like its siblings. If it hangs around here after family break-up in a month or so, everyone will do all they can. We’ll see what the natural outcome turns out to be. Decades ago, I think in 1985, I watched an adult bear getting by and eating okay with a missing nose pad and lips much like this yearling. But it’s sad to see an animal hampered like this.

Thank you for all you do.
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center

calhound

« Reply #23289 on: April 20, 2021, 06:44:09 AM »

hi you guys its 31 here and lots of snow on the ground still snowing. i hope that little bear does okay poor little bear i know the people up there are so kind and good to the bears and of course dr rogers someone will help it and if it was suffering i would figure out something i thought that was what the DNR was for help the wildlife.

hi rues. no vet bill is cheap but they got to have it sometimes. i guess. seems they get stuff that they did not before when i was a kid. at least hattie  was quiet penny was not at all when we took her for her allergy shot she screamed and peed all over brownie had to be muzzled out to get everyone. and pennys shot did not work at all. i hate summer. i finally put her on predisone and she peed all over the house cause it does that but worked on her allergies. i wish red and anne could live happy forever and blacklist could be just about  them i hope liz gets sent far away would not miss her at all. griz barking and barking now all dogs howling i gotta go

hi joho! did you get snow too i see dr rogers got some too.

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/FE055D580058?z=0

calihoula

« Reply #23290 on: April 20, 2021, 07:03:51 AM »

i forgot lupe how is upstair smokey doing? did you get snow too?
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

johoward

« Reply #23291 on: April 20, 2021, 08:37:16 AM »

Hi ev1,
Forgot my time already, but was not too bad I think since avg. is still low.
No snow yet, but it is in the forecast.
Not freezing right now, but colder later I guess.
Researching Dr. today.  There are so many, and not all equal. I am feeling kind of edgy this morning.  Not sure why.
Good to see an egg in Marshall MS turkey vulture nest this morning.
CUL EV1 GB

calihoula

« Reply #23292 on: April 20, 2021, 09:22:32 AM »

hi joho im sitting at kitchen table griz crying thought he was alone but he is not jim in the livingroom girls were so happy to see all this snow still snowing lots of wrecks in the city i went to marshall cam yes one lone egg no parent good to see it hoping an egg in the old schoolhouse i cant walk up there and wouldnt leave them be last time i did years ago saw mom feeding baby and she saw me good i has my four wheeler i got to move by griz i got to trim his nails anyway mom tv came out that door batman pose chasing me throwing up stuff toward me everyone leave them be.  i found two ortho surgeons one is my old one heard he retired maybe not said he has been practicing for 42 years its him other 15 years grad from cleveland speciality foot i saw all kinds of stuff it could be wonder if i can see both?  are you looking for your knee?
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

johoward

« Reply #23293 on: April 20, 2021, 11:08:48 AM »

Yes Cal knee.  There is a spine surgeon who worked on Joan's shoulder and did surgery on Deb's shoulder.  I am hoping he will think about doing my knee.  Waiting for a call back from his secretary. Within 24 hours. Don't have a plan B.
No snow yet.  I guess it is on way.
Starting to think about what is in frig.  Must be getting close to lunch.
Lots of bear action this morning.  Looks like we will be hearing those loud footsteps in the loft soon at the vulture nest.  I love to hear them thumping across the floor.
CUL EV1 GB

ruesgram

« Reply #23294 on: April 20, 2021, 06:00:24 PM »

Cal, oh my gosh, my mom's living room furniture was the same fabric as the one in today's dog shame! I noticed that before I even read the shame! Lol!  We had a nice day here in the low 70's. Enjoyed it while it was here. Overnight the temps are going down and we may have rain turned to snow but weather guy says it won't stick. The ground is too warm.  Two days of cold temps and then a warm up. Crazy weather. How much snow did you get?  Robin gets her second shot tomorrow morning! I'm so happy! Crow told her he would take if she wanted. Just in case she had a reaction to the shot but she turned him down. She'll call if she feels ill!  That was quite the experience you had with the mom tv! Good idea not bother her again! Is the schoolhouse still standing? That's so cool to have that on your property! Do you know it's history?

Have a nice evening! Stay safe! :)