Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Education In Action  (Read 34184 times)

glogdog

• And He will raise you up on Eagles' wings!
Re: Education In Action
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2015, 09:45:58 AM »

teamcarnes - "Education in Action" is the name of this thread.  Thanks so much for making that a reality for your 2nd graders!   
glogdog

baziunc

• Queen of Decorah - April 10, 2016
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2015, 10:52:49 PM »

Here is a terrific video made by a group of students who followed the Decorah Eagles!
Thank you Mrs. Carroll and your class!  Nice job!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXU6jx6pZ9w

Oh my gosh!  I LOVE this video!!  Thanks to Mrs. Carroll and her class.  Great job, and so much fun to watch!  Thanks for sharing it here, Pagent.  There is so much in this video - I'm going to watch it again, and again.   :) :) :) 
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center

BHscent

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2015, 08:17:52 PM »

Mrs. Carroll and classroom, Your video was terrific. Loved it and I bet it was a lot of fun to make.

BHscent

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2015, 08:20:20 PM »

I would also like to thank Teamcarnes for being our Mods during the 2014/2015 season. I really enjoyed it and will forever use the word snack pack for a crop. LOL.
I do hope you can Mod again one day next season.

oregonian1944

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2015, 08:28:04 PM »

Mrs. Carroll and class your video was fantastic - I'm just doing some catch-up on posts now that our season has ended.  Very nicely done - your students have learned their lessons well. Thank you for sharing with all of us.

omasawyer

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2015, 06:51:11 PM »

Here is a terrific video made by a group of students who followed the Decorah Eagles!
Thank you Mrs. Carroll and your class!  Nice job!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXU6jx6pZ9w

:o :o I don't have to tell anyone that I am still finding my way in the forum ::) ::) as well as trying to learn from baz.. BUT I just watched Mrs. Carroll's class video twice and it is as cute as anything I have seen. Kudos Mrs. Carroll and class; You were all adorable!!!!!!!!!!!!!

baziunc

• Queen of Decorah - April 10, 2016
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2015, 02:48:16 PM »

I don't know if this info has been posted in this thread before, but this article on how to make and use fishing line recycling receptacles is so wonderful.  I thought there might be a classroom or school or community group looking for a project, and this would make a great project that would make a difference in most communities... from RRP's public FB page.  Be sure to click on the "continue" or "see more" to view the entire article, and click on the photos to see the entire photo.  Also see expanded comments under the article for additional info - article posted on Aug. 17, 2015 at
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Raptor-Resource-Project/103786266324668

I have copied that RRP FB article and photos below, but I recommend expanding the comments under that article on the FB link above to get additional info or answers to questions others have asked.

Raptor Resource Project added 2 new photos.
18 hrs - Edited

Volunteers Make Fishing Line Recycling Bins

RRP friend and volunteer Dawn Marie and her husband have been making a difference for raptors and other wildlife since 2012 by constructing and installing Fishing Line Recycling Bins at various sites to help remove dangerous monofilament line out of rivers, lakes, and other public places where they would be deadly litter for animals and fish and for birds who might get entangled, or bring the plastic material into their nests. Their latest effort touched us as you will see by the attached note, as they were done to honor Bob Anderson and Raptor Resource Project and dedicated in his memory.

Dawn writes, "On August 13th, I dropped off 3 new fishing line/monofilament recycling bins to Infirmary Mound Park, a 300+ acre park in our county. Thanks to my husband, Michael for doing the cutting and helping me get these completed and delivered. We've built and donated recycling bins in the past in other areas... to help keep the birds and wildlife safe... but these were a little different. They were done in honor of someone who inspired me, and inspired many, and they carry a little label dedicating them to him and his memory. Thank you Bob Anderson for making me see things differently. You will be missed. But your inspiration lives on."

Thank you Dawn Marie & Michael for making a difference and your dedication to Raptor Resource Project and to all the wildlife that will benefit from your efforts to preserve and protect.

Each receptacle costs about $30 in materials. To learn more about the project, with videos and project plans, follow this link: http://www.boatus.org/monofilament/

The little label in black at the bottom reads:
 Dedicated to the Memory of Bob Anderson
 Raptor Resource Project, Decorah, Iowa
 for his work and dedication that changed many lives ... winged and human

To see an enlarged photo of it, go to https://www.flickr.com/photos/98331571@N03/20050294753/in/dateposted-public/

Fishing Line Recycling Bins almost finished! Look at the next photo and you'll see the black rubber cap installed.

Fishing Line Recycling Bins, now complete with the black rubber covering, and ready to deliver.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 03:09:58 PM by baziunc »
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center

izzysamlikeseagles

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2015, 11:07:53 AM »

Thanks for sharing the picture of teamcarnes, gets me all excited to chat with them this winter/spring in the educational classroom!  Can't wait!!! ;D
ring the bells that still can ring, forget your perfect offering.  There is a crack in everything-that's how the light gets in

jfrancl

• ChatMods
  • Educating is key to ending lead poisoning
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2015, 11:35:12 AM »

I love the fact that they soak up all the wonderful bald eagle information!  Looking forward to another educational season!
Please join us in our campaign to GET THE LEAD OUT. Together we can make the world a safer place for Bald Eagles and all wild life. We need you, THEY need you!
http://raptorresource.org/forum/index.php/topic,765.0.html

Faith

« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2015, 07:51:09 PM »

teamcarnes, you have another great looking class there!  We are looking forward to interacting with them, and hope they enjoy learning learning about bald eagles!

glogdog

• And He will raise you up on Eagles' wings!
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2015, 09:19:26 PM »

izzy and jfran,
I am looking forward to the coming season.  We will have so much fun teaching these young children the love and respect of Eagles.  I have 2 students who are siblings of kids in the class last year and some from other years.  Oh, the excitement to come!

Good news spreads fast, teamcarnes, doesn't it?  That is so neat that you get to teach siblings of former students.  The excitement is catching!!  :)
glogdog

izzysamlikeseagles

« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2015, 05:32:48 PM »

Thank you so much for sharing those early journal entries teamcarnes-you're all off to a great start!! ;D
ring the bells that still can ring, forget your perfect offering.  There is a crack in everything-that's how the light gets in

Faith

« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2015, 07:25:25 PM »

I'm so excited for this generation.  Because they have this opportunity to learn, they will be wonderful stewards of nature in the years to come!  Thank you, teamcarnes and all educators that are moving them in the right direction.

jfrancl

• ChatMods
  • Educating is key to ending lead poisoning
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2015, 07:50:46 AM »

Team, how very exciting!  Thanks for sharing these early journal entries.  Educating children on wildlife will be so beneficial in the future!  Great start!
Please join us in our campaign to GET THE LEAD OUT. Together we can make the world a safer place for Bald Eagles and all wild life. We need you, THEY need you!
http://raptorresource.org/forum/index.php/topic,765.0.html

tulsaducati

• Spread the Word: Lead-free hunting and fishing
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2015, 09:03:18 AM »

Our class has been trying to find how many taste buds an Eagle has.  We know that a human has about 10,000.  One student found that Eagles have about 300 taste buds.  We want to make sure that is correct as we find information in more  than one place.  We know that they eat road kill so we think they don't have very many taste buds.  :)  ;)  :o
Hi TC - I haven't been able to find an actual number of taste buds; every resource I can find just says they have "few" taste buds.  Hopefully jfrancl will have that answer.
https://www.biologicaldiversity.org/campaigns/get_the_lead_out/index.html