Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Jewel and her cubs  (Read 668432 times)

calhound

• Eagle nest and Bear watcher since 2/23/11
Re: Jewel and her cubs
« Reply #24825 on: April 23, 2022, 05:24:47 AM »

hi you guys its 69 here warm and vert windy in for big storms later today and tonight. update so good happy to see the bears and groundhog so cute dr rogers takes good care of all! i try to do that too. i know lots of people do. saw on the world news earlier under ground in steel plant in maripol soldiers had sacks and little kids ran up to them and they were handing out candy and stuff so i was happy to see that and reporter said he was happy to see the kids in good spirits they had not seen sunlight in two months! i read many tunnels and stuff in there way down russians cant bomb them there and putin telling his new thugs do not let a fly in there but reporter said he doubts that could happen so hoping someone sneaking food till someone gets them help.

Hi Neva are you around those wildfires?

God Bless you Ukraine

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/39055D56A926
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calihoula

« Reply #24826 on: April 23, 2022, 03:03:59 PM »

hi you guys at 5 am i saw tv laying in hay marshall mo cam sleeping still there later same place wide awake just checked she is not there but an egg is!  :)
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

neva

« Reply #24827 on: April 23, 2022, 04:33:49 PM »

Hay Bales ...  30:56               75°  (1:56 pm)  Sunny, cloudless and windy.  Really nice out. 

Cal ...  That is great that you read the Rice books too.  My daughter, Susan got me started on reading them.  I haven't read her witch series of books, or the religious ones.  (I also love angels).

I watch CNN each day and I am so amazed by the Ukrainian people.  They are together and united, and they know that they are family.  The soldiers are also dads and they try to help and look out for the kids.  God Bless them.

"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
(J.W. Stephens)

johoward

« Reply #24828 on: April 23, 2022, 05:53:55 PM »

I did the bales early today.  I sent a reply.  My wonderful Spectrum internet lost it somehow.  No internet until last 5 minutes.  Spent half hour on phone with machine. Then called back.  Got a man who said he did nothing, but it came back on while he talked. He kept saying I had a ether net connection.  What is that?????  Spectrum really sucks. In all ways. 
I paid 50 or 60 dollars extra to have them come out to hook me up.  He was mad at me because they sent him to the wrong address and wrong phone number so he was late getting here.  When he left in a hurry nothing was working.  The next visit by them was to rebury a cable.  A day later I got a call telling me the tech that was there had covid.  Then I just got a followup call to ask me to tell a machine how I liked them so far.  I hung up.  Maybe they will get the message.
Anyway the little baby red squirrel I took to Back To The Wild yesterday is doing well.

GBU and GB Ukraine

calhound

« Reply #24829 on: April 24, 2022, 05:25:21 AM »

Chloe, Lincoln, and Charley Brown - UPDATE April 23, 2022
Chloe standing alert
Chloe standing alert

Chloe and her two male yearlings were back at 12:55 PM. After eating for about the same half-hour as yesterday, Chloe made moves to go, grunting to her cubs. Charley Brown, who sticks more closely to Chloe, joined her immediately. Lincoln kept eating. Chloe paced around grunting for several minutes and then started to leave with Charley Brown, leaving Lincoln behind. But then the two stopped, looking tensely down the trail ahead of them. High tension. Charley Brown broke and ran for a tree. Seconds later Chloe ran in the same direction but stopped, stood up, and looked back. She seemed to decide it was too scary and continued away, grunting more emphatically. Lincoln saw and heard the urgency, ran to them, and they all hurried off together.

Chloe and Charley Brown alert
Chloe and Charley Brown alert
Charley Brown running to tree
Charley Brown run to tree
Down the driveway, a doe calmly walked out of the woods from where Chloe and Charley Brown had focused their anxiety. I think it was a false alarm and just another example of how cautious some bears can be. Seeing Chloe’s caution makes me feel the more honored that she accepts me and the others here.

At 7:19 PM, they were back. Charley Brown was good to step on the scale for a weight of 57 pounds—a plenty good survival weight for this time of year. I’m hoping the others will do the same soon for our records.

Thank you for all you do,
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center

Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calhound

« Reply #24830 on: April 24, 2022, 05:41:01 AM »

hi you guys its 50 here raining but i think getting ready to stop for awhile. good update today bears so afraid of stuff that is good people i hope realize they are not a threat at all.

Hi Joho your internet provider i dont  know. so aggravating to not have it esp when you pay for it cause you want it!! i got tired of mine going out all the time couple years ago i got the wi solution been good too. it comes undone i am able to connect it back up right here from my computer. run by my provider and if i have a problem they can see into it from their office no router here. i must of missed your baby squirrel. how do you know its okay?

Hi Neva saw on cnn ealier like around 2 am ukraines taken prisoner by russia are now being used to turn against ukrainians for russia i hate to believe that cause yes like you said they are like family not that a family member cant turn on you but did not think ukraines would saw pres zen getting ready to meet with our people he really looks worn out and worried. i hate putin i hope that french putin lover bit** does not win that pres election today showed a pictured of her all happy with putin.  >:(

God Bless Ukraine

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/BC055D4C2D80?z=0

calihoula

« Reply #24831 on: April 24, 2022, 07:07:21 AM »

15 Interesting Facts About Turkey Vultures
>>  The turkey vulture is related to the stork, not to any birds of prey.

>>  Their scientific name in Latin means “cleansing breeze.”

>>  Like all other vultures, the turkey vulture has a bald head. This is so that bits of carrion (dead meat) do not adhere to the skin as they would to feathers. At close range the naked red heads of the adult turkey vultures resemble those of turkeys, hence the name.

>>  Turkey vultures are the only scavenger birds that can’t kill their prey.

>>  A close inspection of their feet reminds one of a chicken instead of a hawk or an eagle. Their feet are useless for ripping into prey, but the vultures have powerful beaks that can tear through even the toughest cow hide.

>>  They feed by thrusting their heads into the body cavities of rotting animals.

>>  Turkey vultures have an extraordinary sense of smell. They have been known to be able to smell carrion from over a mile away, which is very unique in the bird world. The turkey vulture has the largest olfactory (smelling) system of all birds.

>>  Vultures prefer meat as fresh as possible and won’t eat extremely rotted carcasses. They can smell carrion only 12-24 hours old

In the early morning hours you may see turkey vultures sunbathing in a tree with their wings spread out. This is done to increase their body temperature after the cool night.

>>  When you see turkey vultures swarming around in a cluster in the early morning hours of early spring or fall, they are preparing to continue on their migration. Vultures seen in the evening hours have probably arrived in the area that day and are preparing to roost for the night.

>>  Researchers have determined that turkey vultures can travel at up to 200 miles in a day.

>>  Turkey vultures average 2 1/2 feet tall with a 6 foot wingspan. In spite of their large size, they only weigh about 3 pounds.

>>  People will often mistakenly call turkey vultures, buzzards, which is the British name for certain hawks.

>>  Turkey vultures have been known to live up to 24 years. The average age is estimated to be around 20 years.

>>  Vultures help clean up the environment by eating the flesh off dead animals before it rots and causes disease.
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

calihoula

« Reply #24832 on: April 24, 2022, 10:02:38 AM »

minehead 4:51

that dog shame saw dogs bed not torn up basket with toys looks good toys look good no doors or trim chewed up furniture all in tact books on bottom shelf not torn up! that would not be the case in my house at all your dog just ate that cake you got a really good dog not a jerk

calihoula

« Reply #24833 on: April 24, 2022, 01:54:03 PM »

Ukrainian Prime Minister Denys Shmyhal said the war in Ukraine will only end when Russian troops fully withdraw from the country.

"This war should be finished when we clean our territories from Russian occupants," Shmyhal said in an interview with CBS News' "Face the Nation," which aired Sunday.

Shmyhal said he believes the war will end when Russia exits Ukraine, and once there are "guarantees of safety for our country from our partners" put in place, including using frozen Russian assets toward rebuilding and recovery.

i love the last part here pres zen said he believes ukraine will win but what a price they have paid still paying  putin will pay a price too

calihoula

« Reply #24834 on: April 24, 2022, 02:02:38 PM »

French Election 2022 Live Updates: Macron Wins Second Term, Beating Le Pen
Last Updated: Apr 24, 2022 at 2:36 pm ET

:)

neva

« Reply #24835 on: April 24, 2022, 06:55:44 PM »

Somerset ....   44:57            81°   (3:57pm)   Sunny and windy, very nice out.

I agree with you about the dog shame, Cal.  I have always had books with a bit of chewing on them, on the bottom shelf, especially if you have puppies around.  I have cat scratching to deal with as well.  I am not thrilled with that, but am not tossing the animals out.  I just have to deal with it.

We call Turkey Vultures Buzzards here in Arizona.  I saw a  program some years ago about how vultures were/are a threatened species, and that people don't realize how important they are.  That particular program was talking about African Vulture, but seemed to be saying that they were all having a hard time.

I knew Macron would win, and am glad that he did.

i heard someone say last night that if the Russians win Odessa, then they will go after Moldova because they already have a section of the county there and will want to go after the rest just like they have in Ukraine.

"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
(J.W. Stephens)

johoward

« Reply #24836 on: April 24, 2022, 09:24:16 PM »

6:20 Minehead. hot day today.  I stayed in most of the day.
  I called Back To The Wilds and asked how the baby red squirrel brought in on Earth Day is doing. They tell me what it has been up to.  Today they say he , or she, is in with others of his kind for company and is taking nourishment.  Seems uninjured.  Good report.
That lab can come here to stay if he wants.  I will give him cake.  Sorry his dad got fired.
GBU all thank you God for guiding the French vote for Macron instead of Trump's decipal.
GB Ukraine.

calhound

« Reply #24837 on: April 25, 2022, 05:06:20 AM »

Chloe the Early Riser along with Holly and Tasha - UPDATE April 24, 2022
Chloe was again an early riser here. In 2020, 2-year-old Chloe was the first bear to appear—on April 27. In 2021, 3-year-old Chloe came much later because Charley Brown and Lincoln were newborn cubs. Chloe’s mother 22-year-old RC filled in for her as an early riser by coming on April 17 with four yearlings.Deer watching Chloe

This year, Chloe wasn’t the first bear to appear, but she was the second, arriving on April 22 with the two boys. Today’s highlights were Lincoln and Chloe getting on the scale. Lincoln weighed 62 at 3:15 PM and Chloe weighed 180 pounds at 7:26 PM. Yesterday, Charley Brown was 57 pounds at 7:19 PM

Six months ago on October 21,2021 Their weights were Chloe 343, Lincoln 84.5, and Charlie Brown 75.5.

That means Chloe lost 163 pounds (48 percent), Lincoln lost 22.5 pounds (27%), and Charlie Brown lost 18.5 pounds (25%). Some well-fed mothers continue to lactate in the den, and I’m wondering if Chloe’s high weight loss over those 185 days (0.88 pounds per day) was due to that. I’ll see if I can check that when she comes again.

The deer was watching Chloe yesterday and trotted off when she came within 60 feet or so.

At the Bear Center, Holly, the dominant female is showing or re-establishing that by scent-marking near Tasha’s den, charging toward her, and even partially entering her den. "Taught" caught it all in this 5-minute video. I don’t believe there was any real contact, though. We’ll have to watch how this progresses and maybe keep them separated. We’ll see. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi6TOKM7cq8.

Thank you for all you do,
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center

calhound

« Reply #24838 on: April 25, 2022, 05:22:33 AM »

hi you guys its 42 here nice update seems like alot of weight loss. deer so pretty

hi joho! i hope we dont get any rain for awhile. i need to mow the dogs yard yes good report on baby squirrel!  Thank you France How  could anyone can be for putin  GB Ukraine!

hi neva oh i got chewed up furniture books now ebooks just have to keep ipad or kindle put up chewed up clothes floors doors cabinets etc yes cat scratches too. but people with kids have their share of stuff too part of life. oh oh there goes my kitchen coyotees ooooooooo oooo now jim is yelling barooooooo barooooo scared my cats in here. dogs really loud now jim trying to get them to shut up i gotta hurry here. i did not see about odessa i saw a missile hit an apt building full of regular people PUTIN so hoping ukraine can fight them off and if not go back and reclaim it. usa very proud of ukraine and others are too ready to help more. wish we would not say so much on tv. not let putin know.

GB Ukraine!

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/06055D517455?z=0

johoward

« Reply #24839 on: April 25, 2022, 07:40:07 AM »

6:33 Rain off and on not too cold 66 now at 8:30.
Not much to report this morning except I am here and glad of it. TYG
Neck getting stiff.  Lots of coughing and sore throat.  No fever so have to wait to see what is coming.  Lots of colds etc going around around here.  I will test for covid and let you know results later today.
No plans for today again.  I will go out somewhere like I always do.  No telling what I will come across like the baby squirrel and geese with fishlined feet I have rescued in the past.  Just never know. 
Well will say bye for now and GBU all and GB Ukraine.  Please end their sufferings and fear.