Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beak Room 2023  (Read 494784 times)

kbshcb

Re: Beak Room 2023
« Reply #9405 on: September 23, 2023, 02:04:38 PM »

Meteorologist Paul Douglas writes: Nothing screams "first day of fall" better than a significant tornado risk south/west of MSP

It could get spicy out there later today...

Heads up Twin Citians!

karengramke

« Reply #9406 on: September 23, 2023, 02:38:58 PM »

Lisa, good to see you post!  Hope the storm has lssend by the time it gets to your area?  From the looks of the .duke Power map I am guessing Baz may be ithout poer.  Think the storm made landfall very close to her!  Take care!

Phyl

• Maggie lives in Nashville,Tennessee Music City USA
    • https://parler.com @Phylll
« Reply #9407 on: September 23, 2023, 02:42:23 PM »

« Last Edit: September 23, 2023, 02:45:31 PM by Phyl »
"Every new day begins with possibilities."
President Ronald Reagan  at  the 1985 Geneva Summit

#IstandwithEvan

Lani

• All Things Bright and Beautiful
« Reply #9408 on: September 23, 2023, 03:38:20 PM »

Hi Beakers!

Finally found a Royal Albatross discussion website with the Ranger Mod who handles the webcam that we watch, and I was able to find a few answers.

The cam is on UQ's favorite hilly spot, down the slope is two chicks.
They think it's UQ and the neighbor chick that would visit UQ from the right side of the hill.

There are three cams facing this area. The Port Harbor cam takes photos from a higher location, and they captured this photo of the two chicks down the slope.

The photo below is taken from the opposite direction or seaview. You can see the white heads of the chicks. UQ has got to be the one closer to the top of the hill where he usually sits.
That is why the webcam is focusing on that part of the hill.

The black arrow is the webcam, the signal station camera is inside the green building to the left.

This is headland where the Royal Albatross nests
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander

BrokenLug

« Reply #9409 on: September 23, 2023, 04:13:16 PM »

Bl, thought you said u were going to ak with your shotgun/rifle?  A pipe dream?

I'm still going just not until my 09/28/23 flight to Anchorage. 
General itinerary > NJ > Anchorage > Brooks Lodge > Valley of Ten Thousand Smokes.  :)
U. S. A.

Lani

« Reply #9410 on: September 23, 2023, 04:14:32 PM »

This is a cool site I found on the discussion board regarding Royal Albatross

Check out the video of the chicks top at the top left corner.

https://www.windy.com/-Webcams/New-Zealand/Otago/Aramoana/Taiaroa/webcams/1508610974?-45.787,167.443,7
« Last Edit: September 23, 2023, 04:21:26 PM by Lani »
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander

kbshcb

« Reply #9411 on: September 23, 2023, 04:33:44 PM »

General itinerary > NJ > Anchorage > Brooks Lodge > Valley of Ten Thousand Smokes.  :)

Are you going to find Otis?...or go fishing? or both, LOL

Lani

« Reply #9412 on: September 23, 2023, 05:14:12 PM »

BL, I'm excited for you and Pip!! My friend and her husband go salmon/halibut fishing every summer in Alaska. They went to Brooks Lodge last year and spent time fishing and watching the bears! Please take pics and share with us. A trip to Brooks Falls is on my bucket list.  ;D

https://katmailand.com/

LisaG1967

« Reply #9413 on: September 23, 2023, 05:45:28 PM »

T40 - Many thanks as always for the videos. 

Kb - I hope no tornadoes popped up today. 

Karen - I hope baz is ok.  My weather girl just kept saying storm made landfall in NC, but she never said where in NC. 

Phyl - Those were some good Nature 365’s, thanks.

Lani - Thanks so much for all the info and pics on the Royal cam! 

BL - Wow, what a great trip you and Pip are going on….enjoy!

Still windy and raining here, but so far it hasn’t been too bad. 

See you all in the morning!

Lani

« Reply #9414 on: September 23, 2023, 05:58:28 PM »

{{{Baz and Zippo}}} I pray you both are okay.

{{{Lisa}}} glad to read you, Jeff and furry kids are okay

Rock Chalk Jayhawk!!! 4-0  8)

karengramke

« Reply #9415 on: September 23, 2023, 06:03:35 PM »

Lisa, I think it went in near Baz. Bl don't you have the map with beaker locations on it?  I think the internet shows it going in at tge southern end of the state.  I am almost sure she is with out power!  Hopefully not the case.

Every place has its good and bad weather and we are having some lovely days! Warmbut really nice with a breeze!   Now to conqure the mosquitos!

Lani thanks for the research on the Royals

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #9416 on: September 23, 2023, 06:28:09 PM »

LISA  Saw that map - You should have gotten a lot of rain.  Glad you are still here - Maps don't always show the true picture of things

T40   Funny cats are always funny  ;D   Scaredy cats   ;D ;D

BAZI  Think you also are in the middle of that storm.  Hope you are OK

LANI   Wow  thanks for all that detective work and all the new angles of observation.  That is quite a windy city webcam. :o Didn't know where to look first.

BL   Somehow I imaging you driving this???  Until LANI posted I didn't connect Brooks Lodge with Brooks Falls - WOW  Bet you had to make that reservation WAY ahead??
Chicagoland

Phyl

« Reply #9417 on: September 23, 2023, 06:46:36 PM »

Lisa we feel great f rom our vaxes--just the arms are 'tender'. Me more than Jim. Glad you , Jeff and 'the kitties' are safe despite the wind and rain. Keep us posted.

CLynn ROTFL Harley  :-*;  sure like the kitty mug full of coffee. Been buying  Eight 0'clock coffee as it was a BOGO and never tried it.  Blah! Well have two bags of the stuff left in garage freezer . Can't wait for Publix brand to go back on BOGO.  ;) Starbucks is just too high even on BOGO.  Gosh! some pileup on the  Des Moines parkway  :
Tks for the Southwest Florida Eagle Cam update ---cherry pickers sure do come in handy. Here's to a fertile Season 12.  ;)

Lori and Bazi
hope you gals and your fur /feather babies are well/safe. Let us know how you're doing.

E4E cute 'scarecrow' this AM

Lani luv the Lion Brothers this AM; tks for the Royal update, a lot to digest; like the 'bell ringing' ceremony and motivation; hopefully the knots are 20 and UQ can fledge if it's his time.  Ahhhh no 'baby fuzz' on UQ---looks all g rown up.

T40 tks for the links---LOL yawning is catching even in cats; LOL scaredy cats; That bobcat jump is truly a mind blower! Watched it over and over. I've read about the  Geoffroy's Cat of So AMerica enjoyed the link.

BL  Wow! I'd love to see Alaska again! What a nice adventure you have in store.  Relieved you're not driving the Alaskan Highway  ;)

When Jim was flying for Doane Pet Care Inc (they mfg private label cat/dog food---notably Walmart and others) we took the company jet to  AK to meet our company pres. and his family for a pick up in Juneau as they were taking a cruise with a potential  customer. The boss told us to arrive a week early and make a vaca of it. Landed at Sitka and spent the night ( it was 4AM when we finally went to bed after  hangering the old girl. It was dusk as if we were still in Missouri. Blackout curtains and all. We saw everything Denali, Juneau of course, and mosied up to Anchorage and stood on the coast and waved to Russia! LOL
 Had 'Duck Farts' at the Red Dog Saloon.   Took an Orca cruse . It was fantastic!--seals sunning on buoys and those awesome whales swimming along side our boat. One was so very close I reached out and let my left hand glide upon it skin until it went under. Back up it came and close still to  me --it seemed to 'nod'  and I reach out and did the same. It stayed until it had to go back under. Then jump stories high in the air and splashed. Off it went. I'll never,  never forget that encounter!

« Last Edit: September 23, 2023, 06:52:52 PM by Phyl »

#IstandwithEvan

Phyl

« Reply #9418 on: September 23, 2023, 06:51:55 PM »

Sending a "Good Evening' with SEDs  to Everyone !

#IstandwithEvan

Eagles4evr1116

• Mom Decorah. Fan since 04/06/2011.
« Reply #9419 on: September 23, 2023, 07:22:41 PM »

Kb - Amazing footage of an Eagle's view of soaring!

Hi Puff  :)

Tig - Lookin' good on the porch  :)

Clynn - Love the story of your Grandparents & your other family members around the table with good food and the custard pie - those were the good 'ol days - lots of wonderful memories for you!!  All of our Grandma's were the best cooks!!

BL - I too, thought you indicated you were going to Alaska?   Okay just read your reply in the Beak  :)

Lani - Thank you for finding out the latest on UQ {Lani}  Thank you for the info of the ringing of the bells on Sunday, 24th - that is beautiful.   What a gorgeous pic of UQ with his wings up - very awesome!!   Just read more on UQ / Albatross - thank you for the pics too!!!!

Tsk - Like the Nature vid - now if only the hornets would stay with the rotting apples! ;D

LisaG - Wishing you & Jeff all the best with the weather forecasts.  Hope you guys have a peaceful night.

Kb - Lol  :)  Like your question to BL  ;D

Phyl - What a great experience and wonderful memory of your Alaska trip - very special!!!!

Lori - Hope you & Destini are okay.

Bazi - Hope you are safe and hopefully enjoying your good food and treats

Karen  :)

Thoughts & prayers for everyone on the weather map to be safe.