Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beak Room 2023  (Read 470443 times)

Phyl

• Maggie lives in Nashville,Tennessee Music City USA
    • https://parler.com @Phylll
"Every new day begins with possibilities."
President Ronald Reagan  at  the 1985 Geneva Summit

#IstandwithEvan

BrokenLug

Re: Beak Room 2023
« Reply #8626 on: September 01, 2023, 05:41:47 AM »

I just talked to karen, she is supposed to get her power back on by 10:00 tonight. She found her radio, so she can listen to the news. She said it is getting hot again!

I'm relieved to hear that our SE Beakers baziunc & Karen are safe after Hurricane Idalia.   8)

She was a real humdinger in south Georgia from the little I was able to follow while out backpacking last week to yesterday.
We're back home now and are staycationing for the Labor Day weekend, as we do for most major holidays.
To many nut jobs/ weekend warriors out in the wildness and on the roads for my taste.   ::)

Baz you are so correct about TS's and their tornado's. We never underestimate them around here for sure.
Heck Super Storm Sandy wasn't even technically considered a Tropical Storm when it made landfall (10/29/12) 120 miles south of us and we lost power for 10 days.  :o
On day 10 (11/07/12) when our power was restored it snowed 5 inches here.   :o :o

Anyhoo, Karen I hope you get your power back on real soon.  :-*

Here's how the tropical Atlantic stands as of this AM ..

« Last Edit: September 01, 2023, 11:29:29 AM by BrokenLug »
U. S. A.

Puff

« Reply #8627 on: September 01, 2023, 07:19:35 AM »

baz - Glad to hear you and Zippo are OK.  Yikes, on the nearby tornadoes! 

tsk & kb - You two have me hankering on chili now. 

Lani - Yes, it was wonderful to have the windows open today, and let some fresh air inside. 

E4E - Hope all went well with your labs.  How nice of your hubby to go hook up a new TV for your mom. 

Have a good night, Beakers.  I am going to bed early tonight, as I need to take a muscle relaxer.  I slipped in the shower this morning, and I am very sore.  I can laugh about it now, and replay in my mind how silly I looked with the shower liner and curtain coming down with me.   ::) ;D

Glad to hear your reports baz. WHEW - Not perfect but doable.  Still, watch your pace.  You had us all watching and praying for you and your nature managerie.

And for you Lisa  Two words --  Shower Bar!   ::)

P

LisaG1967

« Reply #8628 on: September 01, 2023, 07:25:18 AM »

Good Morning Beakers.....T.G.I.F.!!!

tsk - I did get a good night's sleep.  I am still sore, and moving slowly. 

clynn - Another window open day for me.  It is our last tho, as temps will be in the upper 90's tomorrow for the next week.  Yes, would love the Turkey Green Bean Chili recipe.   :D  Yikes on the potting soil.  I had no idea!  Do you do any canning, you could make tomato sauce with the tomatoes?

Phyl - Yes, I sometimes feel like I need bubblewrap around me.  ;D 

BrokenLug - Glad to hear you are back home, safe and sound for the holiday.

Puff - LOL, yes a shower bar, and a no-slip mat!

E4E, baz, Lani & tig - Thanks  :-*

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #8629 on: September 01, 2023, 07:26:57 AM »

HI EVERONE

LISA   Hope you are not too sore today  :(

CLYNN   Glad KAREN was able to get in touch with you.   A work get together - fun to catch up. Tucson  - hot!   Had a meeting yesterday morning - Lugged about 50 Romas.  Got rid of them all.  YAY  Now likely to pick today again but I think we are getting near the end.    It used to drive me nuts when Tim would watch TV with the closed captioning.  Now of course necessary as he is hard of hearing AND when we are in the flight path planes fly right over the house in their landing/take off pattern and you can't hear anything esp when windows are open.  NOW I also have CC on when I watch British programs  LOLOL  Glad I have it. I ate my words.  ::)
I've never heard of potting soil exploding - Wow     Stunning "blue moon"

BAZI   I too only walk outside when temps are cool.  Barb - my SIL will walk in anything.  Not me.  But I do have a treadmill in the basement I use when too warm outside.  That is some storm when it will uproot huge live oaks.  Hope the person in the car is not too badly injured.  Hmm  wonder why they were in the car?  Thanks for the bog and retention pond update.

PHYL   " ber months"   ;D

BL   Backpacking - so that is why we didn't get your frequent weather reports  ;) ;)  Encounter any "wild"life?  :D
Chicagoland

Puff

« Reply #8630 on: September 01, 2023, 08:04:08 AM »

Some don't know/didn't know?  Peat moss has much higher/dangerous content of ground up wood and natural growth material than potting soil.

Clynn  #1 prettiest blue moon pic! 

Ton put first bar in shower.  Both of us blessed the bar.  Another is on the step-in from garage to house.  Stopped at least 30 years ago using tub upstairs.  Wish I could convert -  $$$$.  Have one more on order from handyman to step up at patio to house - maybe even a railing.

Phyl Of Course Shades On Rodeo.

But nope on the leggings.  Claustrophic here!  Crocs and flips most of my time.  Maybe if snow reaches 1" I switch to gymmies or enclosed Crocs.  (Some don't know there's a line of "shoe style" Crocs.)  Andddddd - if snow makes 3" ? I'll put on socks.  Not a good affliction in snowy times.  Mostly (because of generous/bored/younger neighbor with blower) I can stay in and read, do small chores, etc 'til things open up.

BTW another age-induced effect I didn't know about.  (Loss of hair, loss of height, other body things that can't be fixed.)  Now have added knowledge of claustrophia becoming even worse.

P

« Last Edit: September 01, 2023, 08:08:05 AM by Puff »

clynndunn

• For the love of Eagles....
« Reply #8631 on: September 01, 2023, 08:14:21 AM »

Good Morning Beakers!

BL, you stay away from the wildness on holidays like I stay away from shopping! Too many nutjobs roaming around...  ;D ;D  I remember Sandy, more damage than some hurricanes dish out.

Phyl, love the morning pic! Apples! Very interesting article about the mummified bees, 3,000 years ago is much easier to comprehend than 30 million years ago... 89 for our high today. 5 days in the 90s then a slow downward trend to 80 by the 15th. Fall is coming...  Never thought about the 'ber months!

Lani, you find the sweetest dog/cat good night pictures! Mike comes home today! I imagine you and Sadie are out walking right now!

baz, glad to hear that you and Zippe are okay! We have had water in the basement from torrential rains, it is devastating! Especially when it's the man cave which is chock full of stuff... :o :o

E4E, nice that your Mom's apartment complex has a place for those discarded appliances that are no good! We can buy stickers in our town and put items like that on the curb, then they get picked up. Big items are $35, most are $5, some $10.

karen, hope you are able to post this morning!

Puff, yes, it's the peat moss is potting soil that can ignite...it's rare but does happen under the right conditions. Peat is the main ingredient in Miracle Grow soil. I would love to drive Highway 1 down the west coast! I have been on 101 starting at Canon Beach in OR, down to Ashland and it is so beautiful. I think Highway 1 starts where 101 ends?

Sydney Sea Eagle Cam - Se McGregor  ยท UPDATE 1st - Sept. Our nest camera woke up tonight. As you can see by time stamp it still thinks it is 30th Sep (I fixed it after this). We don't know the cause of outage and the team are still going to check things out in the reserve tomorrow. Fingers crossed things stay fixed but it would be great to find out what happened.  --camera log files don't say much at all, just a date/timestamp for when it came back.

Never lie, steal, cheat, or drink. But if you must lie, lie in the arms of the one you love. If you must steal, steal away from bad company. If you must cheat, cheat death. And if you must drink, drink in the moments that take your breath away. ~ Unknown

Puff

« Reply #8632 on: September 01, 2023, 08:34:21 AM »

Waking up to a learning experience - just like Clynn, that reference Phyl made to the 'ber months is a new concept to think about.  New to me, too.

Just in case anyone is checking -- My nominations for the two best long ride trips:  The Pacific Coast Highway #1 and/or Highway 89A (from AZ to MT).  Scads to see all along both routes.  At least 10 days for sights offered along the way.
And don't forget I've driven 45-47 now, 47 when you add Alaska and Hawaii.

Beautiful USA!!!

P   

BrokenLug

« Reply #8633 on: September 01, 2023, 08:41:34 AM »

BL   Backpacking - so that is why we didn't get your frequent weather reports  ;) ;) 

Encounter any "wild" life?  :D

Oh yes Tsk all the usual forest critters.
The 1st encounter we had last week was Sally the Timber Rattlesnake that we saw 20 years ago in almost the exact same location.
It was very exciting to see our old reptile friend once again.   ;D
She has a very sweet and mellow disposition as long as you keep the appropriate distance.

Had a pesky Back Bear that wanted to share one of our campsites, but she was rapidly dispersed with some good old pots & pans banging.  ;) 
Also had a huge old Porcupine that roamed into camp, biggest one I've ever seen in the wild.  :o
They are not as easily shooed away, so we just let her do her thing and watched.  8)

« Last Edit: September 05, 2023, 09:57:10 AM by BrokenLug »
U. S. A.

Eagles4evr1116

• Mom Decorah. Fan since 04/06/2011.
« Reply #8634 on: September 01, 2023, 09:24:06 AM »

Good morning Beakers!

Tig - When our Printer tells us there is an update available and asks if we would like to update, we always answer no!!  Twice when we answered yes to this question on our Printer, it just led to problems.  Our Printer is pretty new - maybe about 1 year or so, and we don't use it very much.   I don't know what your issue is, but hope all works out nicely.

Baz - So happy you are safe and that the 'regulars' at your retention pond have flown in! :)

Lani - That is so wonderful that you & Sadie enjoy a walk each day! 8)

Phyl - Glad you are feeling better and hopefully the change in Jim's meds help him feel better soon.

Karen - So glad you & Piper are safe & sounds and hope that your electricity stays on. :)

Puff - Like hearing about the rides you've taken!

LisaG - Hope your soreness subsides soon.

Hi Tsk, Clynn, Lori, Kb  :)

kbshcb

« Reply #8635 on: September 01, 2023, 09:55:38 AM »

The caption reads: Came home to this, and I only own the dog!...

speaking of wildlife, er um, in urban areas that is, LOL, came home myself to see a squirrel inside my screened in porch, other than the screen door open for Ollie...When it saw me it tried to get out everywhere other than the open door...almost wrecked my screen....he was just sitting on my couch, probably contemplating tearing up the towel I put on the couch to protect from dog hair!
Well, Ollie man, saw the same time I did, quickly ran into the porch, but luckily headed out and down the steps, missing a total disaster should he have stayed in the porch....no way out for that squirrel for sure...
Whew..Ollie has a dog door in the wall to come and go as he pleases...it's that time of year when squirrels are getting awful squirrely digging and preparing for winter.

Been busy running errands in preparation for a lady lunch!...first time all summer...has a lovely sort of indoor outdoor patio with ceiling fans so should beat the heat somewhat.
I will bring something home for Chris so no dinner making for me tonight! The menu:
https://www.covedina.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2023/05/COVEdina_Lunch_05.23-1.pdf

kbshcb

« Reply #8636 on: September 01, 2023, 10:12:30 AM »

https://twitter.com/i/status/1697279549933826314

For some reason I love this video...very short...big dog baby....

oldguy

« Reply #8637 on: September 01, 2023, 10:16:53 AM »

Good Morning Beakers

Here is a post from Colorado Springs on the dangers of potting soil...
https://coloradosprings.gov/fire-department/page/potting-soil-fire-safety#:~:text=Today's%20potting%20soils%20contain%20very,ignite%20easily%20under%20dry%20conditions.

I installed 2 grab bars at MIL house - one on the shower and the other the front door where there is a 6" step down to the deck.  My sister did not have a grab bar on her tub - she was found on the floor next to it.

Yesterday was great weather here - partly cloudy and high of 81 - opened the door and windows last night - today heading for 85 and then into the 90s for several days again, but dew points much better - today in the 50s and then 60s, much better than last weeks mid 80s deew points...  next chance of rain is Tue.

Doors Can't Keep This Cat Out! DD, the Door Opening Cat! (ENG SUB)   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_z754KF76Q

Maru joins a gathering of cats while wearing a paper bag   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-a74l6l9_WY

SE Iowa - Grew up within 40 miles of Decorah

camperstig

• "Hoo hoo hoo hoo!"
« Reply #8638 on: September 01, 2023, 10:26:25 AM »

some bounce

Pool was good... saw some old friends.
Sprinkling, groceries, tennis, Twins, movie. Supper? Out or BLTs... ?? Hmmm. Gopher game last night was  ;D ;D ;D

BL   :o   8)

TTFN

All ...
camper'sTIG - South Central MN
Decorah follower since Apr 2, 2011
"May Bob now soar with the eagles and dive with the falcons. You've left a living legacy behind on the earth" (barbells126)

Lani

• All Things Bright and Beautiful
« Reply #8639 on: September 01, 2023, 11:23:59 AM »

TGIF Beakers!  8)
Morning Lilbro, Blschue, Lori, Clynn, Tsk, Lisa, Karen, Oldguy, Puff, Eagles, Kb, Tig, Baz, Phyl, Peep, Jaspurr, Pink, Jilltosa, BL, Eburg, Weasel, Ezee, Bggolden, T40, ssrl, Maxie, Nrstooge, Omasawyer, Paulie, jicaji, LB, and All!

Clynn, Yes, we were walking during light rain this morning. We had a quick thunder/hail/rainstorm late afternoon yesterday. One inch and a half of dirty rain water per rain gauge.  There was a dust storm in the valley... it dropped 24 degrees here right after that storm... what a relief! We're expecting more rain this afternoon and yes, Mike is gone his way home. He should be home by 1:30. Hopefully he will miss the continued holiday traffic up here. Town is packed with campers, and tourists driving through...  :-\ 

{{{Puff}}} "peat moss" thanks for the info.

Tsk, we've been using CC for years. I especially have it going for the British/Scottish mysteries I enjoy watching. 

{{{Lisa}}} shower bar and mat sounds like a good thing!  ;) ... rest this long weekend.  :-*

BL, you and Pip enjoy your "staycation", that's how we spend ours, lots of traffic in town... Tonto National Forest is full of RVs, ATVs, Campers, all enjoying the last summer holiday! And lots of lost dogs being found which is what always happens this time of year.  :(

Phyl, "ber" months! My favorite ones  ;D ... thanks for LiveScience articles... I pray Jim's new meds will help him. You both take care.

Eagles, I agree about what happens to printers when you click "yes"! Never again! We end up uninstalling printer and then reinstalling after a while. I hope you and Kris have family plans this weekend.  :)

Kb, awww the shepherd  :-* ... Sadie would have had a fit if she saw a squirrel on her territory! Enjoy your girl/lunch time!  :-*

Oldguy, thanks for info on dangers of potting soil... and the need for shower bars.

Tig, a good start to the holiday weekend and many possibilities of it getting even better.  :)

Hellgate Ospreys - 9/1 Welcome to September!
May your day be filled with hope, joy, and peace.

#BeAnIris
:-*

All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander