Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beak Room 2023  (Read 471043 times)

Phyl

• Maggie lives in Nashville,Tennessee Music City USA
    • https://parler.com @Phylll
Re: Beak Room 2023
« Reply #1890 on: February 20, 2023, 06:09:28 PM »

I had snapped this the other day and never got around to posting.
Thought y'all might like to see this cute critter, I've not seen except in my African 'travels' via Explorer

Stony Point Penguin Colony Camera
Feb 18, 2023 9:43 AM
Camera Time: Feb 18, 2023 5:42 PM SAST

A rock hyrax sunning itself.
Note picture enlarges  when  hovering cursor then left clicking. For better viewing

Stony Point Nature Reserve is home to the third-largest breeding colony of African Penguins in the world and has successfully increased the breeding pairs. Stony Point Nature Reserve is situated in the coastal town of Betty’s Bay in the Overberg South Africa and lies on an old whaling station site. During 2021 it was home to approximately 1,600 breeding pairs of African penguins.

This is the bay where you will see the penguins swim and walk on the beach. Also present in the colony are three species of cormorant; the Crowned cormorant, Cape cormorant and Bank cormorant, all of which breed on the outer rocks. There are also Hartlaub’s Gulls and Kelp Gulls which forage in the colony, while the Rock Hyrax, more commonly known as the Dassie, can be seen on the surrounding rocks.

Threats to seabirds and penguins breeding at this colony include the dramatic decrease in the pelagic fish stocks and competition with commercial fisheries, predation by land-based predators such as mongoose, caracal and leopard.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2023, 06:27:59 PM by Phyl »
"Every new day begins with possibilities."
President Ronald Reagan  at  the 1985 Geneva Summit

#IstandwithEvan

Phyl

« Reply #1891 on: February 20, 2023, 06:14:48 PM »

Holy Buckets!....and whew.

My snowplow guy informed me about an hour ago he's out of town......
I scrambled on fb and found someone to snowblow, not snowplow....we shall see.
It will be a 2 day event of having him out here....both Wednesday and Thursday.
I've actually hired him before for junk removal...twice...but one time for something he bailed and didn't show up.

Hope this works out for you. And he shows for both days.

'Holy Buckets'  ...of...?    is a new one for me.

#IstandwithEvan

oldguy

« Reply #1892 on: February 20, 2023, 06:15:06 PM »

KB - Ryan covers the Twin Cites today - his forecast is not nice for you... :(

This Winter Storm Will Be Hectic   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_baO7NbVt0
SE Iowa - Grew up within 40 miles of Decorah

Phyl

« Reply #1893 on: February 20, 2023, 06:18:34 PM »

KB candle lit for you. And,  gonna be lit for days.  ;)

Oldguy thanks for update.

#IstandwithEvan

BrokenLug

« Reply #1894 on: February 20, 2023, 06:27:56 PM »

I've actually hired him before for junk removal...twice...but one time for something he bailed and didn't show up.

Holy Buckets may be an understatement kb ..

My post is not meant to alarm U, as I'm sure you're monitoring the situation closely and you are a native Minneapolitan after all.  ;D
So you went from # 31 on the SNOWPLOW guy's list to he's left town .. ::)
Time to find a new 'guy' for next season, of course next year you'll get 31" total.  ;)

It's looking pretty likely that MSP is going to be the bulls-eye for Winter Storm Olive in MN.
Not so sure a snowblower is going to cut the mustard for this one unless you're his only customer, he has a very large machine, he plans on camping out in your garage and he actually shows up.   :(

Slide the time slider to the end > hover mouse over your local > readout in inches upper right.
https://digital.mdl.nws.noaa.gov/?zoom=7&lat=44.87849&lon=-93.25409&layers=F000BTTTFTT&region=0&element=19&mxmz=false&barbs=false&subl=TFFFFF&units=english&wunits=english&coords=latlon&tunits=localt
I've found the National Digital Forecast Database Graphical Forecasts to be pretty spot on over the years, unfortunately for you.

Stay safe and stay indoors, I don't think there's going to be any "keeping up with" this one with a snow shovel.
It will pass and then you can come up with a plan to get out.   8)

« Last Edit: February 20, 2023, 06:40:35 PM by BrokenLug »
U. S. A.

oldguy

« Reply #1895 on: February 20, 2023, 06:31:51 PM »

Here is the 2023 hotlinks for Decorah nests and the Lounges

Save these links in your Favorites/Bookmarks and it will take you to the page you were last reading...

Beak Room 2023 Forum   -   https://www.raptorresource.org/raptorresource/forum/index.php?topic=2813.new.html#new
Cheers 2023 Forum   -   https://www.raptorresource.org/raptorresource/forum/index.php?topic=2815.new.html#new
Decorah Eagles 2023 Forum   -   https://www.raptorresource.org/raptorresource/forum/index.php?topic=2812.new.html#new
Decorah North Nest 2023 Forum   -   https://www.raptorresource.org/raptorresource/forum/index.php/topic,2811.new.html#new

Hoping for a great year...
SE Iowa - Grew up within 40 miles of Decorah

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #1896 on: February 20, 2023, 06:47:21 PM »

Thanks Amy.  The Forum is a big job along with all the other things you do to keep RRP humming .

KB  Ouch - first you're #31 and then he's out of town?

TIG  That was not the link I had before - Love the washboard - all the different sounds. Fun time.  Lot of hard work to get all those eagles rehabbed.  Live long buddy.

PHYL  Rock hydrax - new one for me.

BL   My bro in Green Bay Wi should be in the 12-15" range.
Chicagoland

Lani

• All Things Bright and Beautiful
« Reply #1897 on: February 20, 2023, 07:32:01 PM »

Here is the 2023 hotlinks for Decorah nests and the Lounges

Save these links in your Favorites/Bookmarks and it will take you to the page you were last reading...

Beak Room 2023 Forum   -   https://www.raptorresource.org/raptorresource/forum/index.php?topic=2813.new.html#new
Cheers 2023 Forum   -   https://www.raptorresource.org/raptorresource/forum/index.php?topic=2815.new.html#new
Decorah Eagles 2023 Forum   -   https://www.raptorresource.org/raptorresource/forum/index.php?topic=2812.new.html#new
Decorah North Nest 2023 Forum   -   https://www.raptorresource.org/raptorresource/forum/index.php/topic,2811.new.html#new

Hoping for a great year...

Thanks Oldguy!  ;D
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander

Puff

« Reply #1898 on: February 20, 2023, 08:14:56 PM »

I've been here the last couple days, reading all your needlework memories.  I think I'll add some of  my own.

First introduction was embroidery with expert techniques from my aunt Lydia, the aunt with all the county fair blue ribbons.  Great teacher, doncha' think.  I started at 5 she and my mom told me.  When she passed I went to her funeral in Colorado hoping to gain a treasured work of hers.  Nothing, nothing at all left cuz she had been donating to church bizarres, etc.  What I found and still treasure is all the blue ribbons in a large jar.

In college I met Maribeth, the knitter.  Between class sessions there could be even an hour or more down time.  You can only watch so long before the bug gets to you.  The result was rite of passing of the goodies to the family:  afghan for bridal/wedding showers, first baby shower, new house warming.  I still have the first afghan I made for myself.   Two special memories:  when my first husband bolted he loaded up a trailer while I was a work.  One of the things he took was the afghan his grandma made for us (she was a crochet wiz).  Words were not pleasant tween her and her daughter (MIL) when she made me my own as a replacement.  More recent happy day was when there was a shower for Ton's to be great grandson.  Family members  :P ordained that because they were here for the shower and birth (they both work and live Turkey, still do)  directions said euros and gift certificates would be in order.  Oh yeah, sure, I always do as told.  What was really special was the squeal, smile, and tears when she opened the box with the afghan.  Made it white with dotted pastels.  After delivery and flight home she sent a pic of Orion (?) wrapped in his afghan and in the plane bassinet.
One more knit story is the comments I frequently receive at the vet's.  ChiChi was a real pain in the Ash when I knitted.  The clicking of the needles and dangling yarn too much temptation.  When I finished a project my next one was a smaller soft, blue, cat-sized afghan just for the Chi.  He would not let Puff (the cat) near it.  I used it too to comfort them when going to the vet, put it in the carrier.  Vet and staff seemed to think I spoiled them.

Then.....there are the needle works (crossstitch, needlepoint, etc., but never paint embroidery or weaving loom).  I liked to make and frame something special, along with the shower gift from registry just as a special token to hang or display (usually did birth date or wedding date for instance).

Now, so sad, I don't do a damn thing.  Can't make my hands join in on the projects.   :'(    :'(    :'(    I don't like this at all.

P

blschue

« Reply #1899 on: February 20, 2023, 08:42:25 PM »

First picture was taken in 1981 and as you can see there are no trees. We planted every tree in our yard except a few maples that the squirrels planted. First year we planted 1000 pine saplings. Susie our dog was waiting for me to take the picture. She never left the yard and knew her boundaries. A neighbor said that one day I was gone the dog catcher tried to get Susie to leave the yard but she didn't. There was a lab that was running the neighborhood and the dog catcher was going on that info.

Second picture was taken in 2004. Same property but different house because of the fire in 1990.

kbshcb

« Reply #1900 on: February 20, 2023, 09:07:36 PM »

Holy Buckets may be an understatement kb ..

My post is not meant to alarm U, as I'm sure you're monitoring the situation closely and you are a native Minneapolitan after all.  ;D
So you went from # 31 on the SNOWPLOW guy's list to he's left town .. ::)
Time to find a new 'guy' for next season, of course next year you'll get 31" total.  ;)

It's looking pretty likely that MSP is going to be the bulls-eye for Winter Storm Olive in MN.
Not so sure a snowblower is going to cut the mustard for this one unless you're his only customer, he has a very large machine, he plans on camping out in your garage and he actually shows up.   :(

Slide the time slider to the end > hover mouse over your local > readout in inches upper right.
https://digital.mdl.nws.noaa.gov/?zoom=7&lat=44.87849&lon=-93.25409&layers=F000BTTTFTT&region=0&element=19&mxmz=false&barbs=false&subl=TFFFFF&units=english&wunits=english&coords=latlon&tunits=localt
I've found the National Digital Forecast Database Graphical Forecasts to be pretty spot on over the years, unfortunately for you.

Stay safe and stay indoors, I don't think there's going to be any "keeping up with" this one with a snow shovel.
It will pass and then you can come up with a plan to get out.   8)

I know, this is ridiculous.

Thanks for all your info.
I've been distracted for the last 2 hours by 5 cops, 2 firetrucks, an ambulance, and the fire chief across the street at the apartment complex.
My house is lit up like a christmas tree....
All but one cop left after the first hour and then fire and chief  returned!....I can't figure it out...although our fireman are mostly medics.

I'll recover when over and get back to worrying about the mega storm....
Later

LORIDAVIS

• Peace Love Unity & Respect
    • Facebook
« Reply #1901 on: February 20, 2023, 09:26:00 PM »

Congratulations DNN home of DNF and Mr. North!

Decorah North Eagles - DNF lays her first egg of the 2023 season on 2/20/23 / explore.org 2/20/23https://youtu.be/gwlSRHlHGBE VIA GA BEAR
DNF lays her first egg of 2023 season around 8:46 PM CT on February 20, 2023
Lori Davis
AcuraRacerGirl

baziunc

• Queen of Decorah - April 10, 2016
« Reply #1902 on: February 20, 2023, 10:25:09 PM »

Thanks to you, Amy/mrsfalcon, for taking care of the Forum maintenance and getting things archived and set up for the new year!   :)

Now I see I need to get my avatar set back up again. LOL. It's a cam shot I captured and edited of Mom Decorah on April 10, 2016.  :-*  I dubbed it The Queen of Decorah, LOL, and it's been my avatar pic since then.  ;) :D  She's still The Queen of Decorah!  :-* :-*

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center

baziunc

• Queen of Decorah - April 10, 2016
« Reply #1903 on: February 20, 2023, 10:28:06 PM »

Yay, it worked! My avatar is back. It's back, baby! ;D ;D  I love Mom Decorah, the Queen of Decorah!  :-* :-* :-*

My total posts is reset to none, but I don't care... it's happened so many times before with the annual Forum maintenance, I just let my count start all over again from scratch. I'm a "Newbie" again! LOLOL!!  Suits me!  It's sort of like getting younger all of a sudden.  lol!   ;) :D :D  It isn't important to me, in the least, to show how many posts I've made in Forum over the many years. I'm just thankful Amy is willing to take the time to keep the RPP Forum up and running!  :)

Thanks, (((Amy)))!!!  :D :-*
« Last Edit: February 20, 2023, 10:34:00 PM by baziunc »
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center

Eagles4evr1116

• Mom Decorah. Fan since 04/06/2011.
« Reply #1904 on: February 20, 2023, 10:43:12 PM »

Oldguy - Glad you had a busy day at work so the time went by fast, and hope you are relaxing at home now.  Bummer on the night of cards - it sure must have been an off night, because I don't even remember you having such a loss.  :(  Hopefully you all had some good food to enjoy!

LisaG- What a very special Heirloom to pass down to the family from your Mother; the Christening gown she made - Wow, that is a treasure! :-*

Lani - Love the pic of HM & HD  ;D  Oh my, the Owls in the shed!!!

Kb - Enjoy your delicious marinated chicken for dinner!!  We grilled marinated chicken the other day !  No fun in finding someone else to snowplow, but glad you found someone.  Good for you in staying on top of things!

Baz - Since you asked - last night we watched an old favorite of ours:  'Grease' with Olivia Newton-John and John Travolta.  Then, we turned the channel to watch 'American Idol'!  After that, it was curtains for me. ;)

Phyl - Sounds like a 'regular' work day for Jim - bet he couldn't wait to get home and relax & have a nice dinner!

Tig - Such fantastic news that the last poisoned E was released!!

BL - You give excellent weather reports and stats - especially for those in that area -  Kb  :o ::)

Tsk - Who is Lulu going to cuddle with tonight? ;) ;D

Puff - Special that you still have the first afghan you made! :)

Blschue - amazing pics of the home area!

Lori - Wow!!!! Congrats to DNN's M & D on their first egg!! ;D

Beakers have a good night.