Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beak Room 2023  (Read 740383 times)

Eagles4evr1116

• Decorah follower since 04/06/2011.
Re: Beak Room 2023
« Reply #3345 on: April 02, 2023, 09:12:20 AM »

I have good news;  Star seems to be a little better this morning.  She is walking sturdier and had more of an appetite for her breakfast.  :)

Phyl - Star & I thank you!  Thanks for all the great Cam pics and info!

Tig - Thank you so much!

Tsk - You are right, so hard to see our pets age (especially it seems to have come on quickly).   Prayers that your discomfort improves a little bit each day.

LisaG - The time is getting nearer for Misty's happy event! :)   Thank you for well wishes for Star  :)

Puff - Yes, Star is getting lots of extra love & attention  :)

BL - The MSP snowfall graph tells the story - yikes.

Weasel - What is the name of the med that your kitty was taking?  My dog has seen 3 different Drs at this VCA, and they all recommend the liquid gabapentin for her arthritic pain.

Lani - Thank you so much for the well wishes for my little Star.

Oldguy - Hope you had a good night at cards!

Kb - Wishing all that heavy snow would really start disappearing.    Oh no, the DNR nest?! :'(

Clynn - Thank you for well wishes and I did ask Weasel if she would tell me what med her kitty took.   Did your Car's computer get fixed and working properly now?

Beakers have a nice Sunday  :)

weasel65

« Reply #3346 on: April 02, 2023, 09:40:22 AM »

Here is a link for the drug. 

I don’t know is there is something similar for dogs though. I’ll keep my fingers crossed.

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/fda-approves-novel-treatment-control-pain-cats-osteoarthritis-first-monoclonal-antibody-drug-use-any

LisaG1967

« Reply #3347 on: April 02, 2023, 09:47:56 AM »

E4E - So glad to hear that Star is doing better this morning.   :)

tig & kb - So sad....I watched the live feed! Poor baby!  :'(  Was that the parent on the tree to the side, after the nest fell that flew off? 

Puff - I hope you are feeling better. 

tsk - I love tulips.

clynn - Aww, thanks for posting my pic here in the Beak.  :-*  I got a lil more rest than Jeff.  He is getting a sinus infection, and is all stuffed up, so he didn't too much sleep. ((Helen)) Yikes that is scary for R&R's eggs!

Phyl - Great cam pics this morning. Love the sunflower umbrella!

kbshcb

« Reply #3348 on: April 02, 2023, 10:25:15 AM »

They have retrieved the body of baby E8, deceased.....

I gotta go keep myself busy with something :(

Lani

• All Things Bright and Beautiful
« Reply #3349 on: April 02, 2023, 10:46:26 AM »

Good morning Beakers,
Morning Blschue, Lilbro, Lori, Clynn, Tsk, Lisa, Oldguy, Puff, Eagles, Kb, Tig, Baz, Phyl, Peep, Jaspurr, Pink, Jilltosa, Karen, BL, Eburg, Weasel, Ezee, Bggolden, T40, ssrl, Maxie, and All!

{{{Hugs Eagles and Star}}} so glad to read Star is feeling a little stronger this morning. Having an appetite is a good sign. Prayers for continued healing and comfort.

Kb, DNR nest and baby, I'm so sorry.   :'(

{{{gentle hugs Tsk}}} 75%, it's still amazing how much you've been doing since surgery. Prayers for continued healing for the 25%  :-*
Clynn, Helen is a beautiful RTH  :-*

Lisa, beautiful Easter pic  :) ... stunning Decorah pic that Clynn posted.... oh dear, it's amazing to see a raccoon heading towards R & R's nest.  :o

Phyl, thanks for update photos on nests... sunrising on a clear cloudless morning.... I'm watching Mother Goose right now.

All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #3350 on: April 02, 2023, 10:53:12 AM »

KB   OH NO   So so sad for DNR nest.  Just saw the notice - Shoot!!!

EAGLES  Good news on Star this AM.  Let's hope it lasts a bit.

LANI  Love your Palm Sunday pic
Chicagoland

Lani

« Reply #3351 on: April 02, 2023, 11:09:49 AM »

Royal Albatross - 4/2
The view looking up at SP chick and UQ chick on the right, showing the 'edge' of the hill side out of cam view.
Daylight Saving Time ended in New Zealand last night. The clocks went back one hour at 3am Sunday. Thank you

Dad Gly arrives to feed SP, sweet greeting calls.
https://twitter.com/i/status/1641756510559817730

Dad feeding SP
https://twitter.com/i/status/1641758114189017099
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander

Lani

« Reply #3352 on: April 02, 2023, 11:23:40 AM »

TRR - Sloth TV - Costa Rica

Curtis: Great news! Curtis is getting ready for the next step and will be rewilded soon!

Say hello to Annabelle! She is a Rainbow-Billed Toucan, a permanent resident of our sanctuary. Stay tune, and enjoy her beautiful colors and personality.

NEW: Sloth TV Playground Camera!
Stay tuned for our new camera, where you can see some of the animals from our rescue center as they go through their rehabilitation journey. You can even catch the various wild birds that visit our ranch constantly!

Catch Viscerion, the crocodile, as he takes the sun in his pool daily. Also, be on the look for Randy and Rihanna while they exercise and recover during their rehabilitation process.

Ziggy, a 3F Sloth: he is doing fine and gaining weight; he will be transferred to the Release Site soon.

Sloth Pre-School Updates:

Coco, and her friend Geo, 2F Sloths: They are doing great. Always together.

Landon, 2F Sloth: When eating, it seems the food is not getting stuck anymore. He is gaining weight, and the  vets are happy with his progress.

Pax & Liana, 2F Sloths: They are doing well and have no more ulcers.

Roo, 2F Sloth: Doing well and growing fast!

Robin, 3F Sloth: He is doing fine. He’s still receiving physical therapy regularly. Look for his new update on our social media. You can support him donating in his CUDDLY campaign.

In Loving Memory - We are sad these babies did not make it due to different issues.

Katira, 2F Sloth: Sadly, before we could announce her, she passed away due to a malformation incompatible with wildlife.

A friendly reminder: We are a critical care facility - Even though you do not see this on camera, the animals are under 24/7 vet care

Annabelle

Puma doing his rounds and checking on Pax & Liana.
Phew!! I think you need to change you're blankets! 😀

LisaG1967

« Reply #3353 on: April 02, 2023, 12:02:18 PM »

kb:( :'(

Lani - Thanks, and I love your Palm Sunday pic!  Thanks for the Royal and TRR update! 

« Last Edit: April 02, 2023, 03:27:01 PM by LisaG1967 »

camperstig

• "Hoo hoo hoo hoo!"
« Reply #3354 on: April 02, 2023, 02:04:55 PM »

some bounce
Laundry finished. Phew.
Time to hydrate and root for the Iowa Hawkeyes...
47 degrees. Nice. Prayers for those affected by the tornados
TTFN
camper'sTIG - South Central MN
Decorah follower since Apr 2, 2011
"May Bob now soar with the eagles and dive with the falcons. You've left a living legacy behind on the earth" (barbells126)

baziunc

• Queen of Decorah - April 10, 2016
« Reply #3355 on: April 02, 2023, 02:17:00 PM »

Hi Beakers!  :)

((E4E, Kris, Star)) Glad to hear Star seems a bit better today.

Sad news about the MNDNR Eagle nest. Poor eaglet. RIP.

Lisa, I hope ((Jeff)) starts feeling better!

Tsk, wow, that's great that you're 75% back already!! But, ugh, on still having so much pain! I hope that part gets better and better, and soon!

Clynn, glad you got your car back! That's crazy that you had to do that leg work to track it down. Wish I could be on the line whenever you or Ed have your say with the Service Dept Mgr.! What's wrong with people?!?

Lani, has the weather put a crimp in Mike's travel to plants? Maybe it has, and has given him a bit of a rest from that? LOLOL on Puma's whiffing reaction!

Puff, if it were me, I would just wipe down the book, and put it on the bookshelf without further worry. Glad you're cold is better.

Lori, hope you start feeling better. Does your grandmother have her power, and heat, back yet?

Tig, the hot salmon salad and cheese on open face English muffin sounds yum. I baked a whole side of wild Alaska salmon yesterday. It was good with carrots and spinach.

Phyl, oh gawd... I would love a homemade milkshake!

Hi to BL, OG, T40, weasel, and All!
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #3356 on: April 02, 2023, 02:47:20 PM »

LANI   Thanks for the Royals update  Like that view.  Little toddler SP doesn't know quite what to make of it  ;D  Lots going on at TRR as always

Comcast here for 2 hours.....New X1 DVR box.   Still could not figure out why current Legacy box - and others he tried could not be activated..
Chicagoland

baziunc

• Queen of Decorah - April 10, 2016
« Reply #3357 on: April 02, 2023, 03:06:38 PM »

;) :D

Have a good evening, and take care, Beakers.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center

clynndunn

• For the love of Eagles....
« Reply #3358 on: April 02, 2023, 05:34:34 PM »

kb, oh no, the MN DNR nest is gone...so very sad. The same thing that happened to the old Trio nest...

E4E, thanks for letting us know little Star is feeling better today. We all feel for each other and our pets... What a great family we all have here... I haven't tried everything on my car, but will assume it's fine!

baz, I just think that there are a lot of people working these days who just don't understand customer service (speaking of the car dealership). When I got there, the guy from Quick Lane couldn't help me enough, he even told me to wait inside while they brought my car around because it was cold and windy. Of course, he was more our age... One has to treasure those people when we can!  LOLOL, the Murder of Crows... When we cook salmon on the grill I season it with rosemary and garlic seasoning, we have fresh asparagus and a baked potato or baked sweet potato, it's one of our faforite meals!

Lani, thanks for the Alby video, love how they communicate! Clackity clack clack... The little one is looking so good, I hope they visit each other when the parents are gone... I am betting they put some kind of critter guard on the crane at SF Bay, to keep the raccoons away!

Lisa, I watched the video of the MN DNR nest falling...Nancy looked like she sensed something wasn't right.  So very sad. They said it was too late to have another clutch, I wish it wasn't. But to build a nest first probably makes it not possible. Seems like the hatch was earlier this year. Is Misty pacing? Or has she settled down since you let her have free range? I bet Bandit won't be a mean big brother!

tsk, you are amazing! 75% is good!

Friends of Minnesota Nongame Eagle Cam - Thomas Demma 
What Happened.
The simple answer is the tree failed. As you all know the nest was situated about 80 feet up in a Cottonwood tree. A few years back the DNR had an arborist inspect the tree and they determined it was dead. I’ve always had a bit of a questioning attitude regarding that assessment since it was capable of producing enough foliage to make getting a clear photo challenging. Whether it was dead or dying is irrelevant at this point as it was certainly compromised.
The nest was situated in the crotch of three branches. The smallest of which was what I referred to as the ‘Branching-Branch’ in my Herm Reports. This branch was an integral support and that is the branch that failed. The weight was simply more than this branch could support and it broke free taking the nest down.
What We Found.
When I arrived, Randy Wendel was just getting out of his truck and we walked back to the site. The nest was upside down with scattered twigs and branches surrounding it. We obviously had no idea where E was but the assumption was since he was in the bowl, that’s probably where we’d find him. We carefully started clearing away the debris but still no E.
The main section of the nest -the section with the bowl- was incredibly heavy but we were able to pry it up little by little and eventually flip it over. We carefully started removing what was in the main section and found everything we’ve all seen come in the nest for the last few days. Multiple fish, Rabbit, Squirrel and even a couple Turtles. We went so far as to completely clean the bowl but no E. We didn’t understand how we were able to locate multiple items on the surface of the nest but not E who was in the bowl.
Lori and several DNR officials had shown up by this time and the entire team started the search. We checked the grounds, the fenced in area and even the trees above thinking perhaps E was thrown from the nest and landed on something. Nothing.
Once of the conservation officers saw something suspect laying about ten feet from the main bowl section which was quickly identified as E. We’ll never know why everything else in the bowl section ended up under it and E was ten feet away.
Were Do We Go From Here
This page will survive of that I’m sure. I have a long history with this nest and it’s inhabitants. I’ve seen tragedy and triumph throughout the years. I’ve met many wonderful people, learned a great deal and sharpened my photography skill immensely all because of this nest. I visit and photograph many locations during the season but this one is and will forever be home to me.
I want to personally thank each and every single one of you that contributes to this page. It could be a simple ‘Like” on a photo, a video clip, some educational content or a comment in a post. YOU all make this page what it is.
Many, many years ago I’d lost a dog to old age. I have a tendency to internalize things, because, you know, that’s what men do. She pulled me aside at a dog show and told me; “It’s OK to cry for dogs you know.” Sage advice that I’m finding is true for birds.
Now. Let’s get down to the business of rebuilding you two. If you think you can hide from Bonnie and I think again. We WILL find you.
Thomas.   4.2.23 DNR

Never lie, steal, cheat, or drink. But if you must lie, lie in the arms of the one you love. If you must steal, steal away from bad company. If you must cheat, cheat death. And if you must drink, drink in the moments that take your breath away. ~ Unknown

LisaG1967

« Reply #3359 on: April 02, 2023, 06:34:03 PM »

Clynn - I agree, Nancy looked she knew something wasn’t right.  Thanks for the Thomas Demma post.
Misty has settled down since we let her roam around at night.

Baz - Thanks 😊

Tsk - DVR all fixed and working?

Have a good night, everyone!