Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beak Room 2023  (Read 544630 times)

LORIDAVIS

• Peace Love Unity & Respect
    • Facebook
Re: Beak Room 2023
« Reply #2445 on: March 06, 2023, 12:08:35 PM »

Big Bear Bald Eagle Cam home of Jackie & Shadow💜
Hi, I wanted to post this article via USA today (some of us are not able to view it) however, see link on bottom...
 Our Beautiful Jackie is fierce, strong, resilient, brave and determined (oh and bossy).  ;D  She reminds me of our dear Decorah Mom, Harriet & Ma Berry as well as all of our bald eagles across the world.  We love you Jackie!!

Highs, lows and heartbreak: How a pair of California eagles developed a worldwide fanbase March 5 2023 via USA TODAY
In more than 10 years in Big Bear Valley, Jackie has lost about a dozen eggs and eaglets, raised three hatchlings, fallen for two mates, braved blizzards and fought off countless enemies

As a blizzard rolled in to Southern California's Big Bear Valley late last month, Jackie the bald eagle was doing what any caring mother would: protecting her children at all costs.

Jackie sat atop her two eggs for hours at a time, keeping watch so long that the falling snow blanketed everything but the faintest outline of her beak and tail. The attentive mama would doze off, get up to shake off the snow, check on the eggs and then nestle back down on them. (Her record is 27 hours.)

As Jackie faithfully cared for the eggs, her global fan base watched closely via a crystal-clear webcam that has been documenting her daily life since 2016.
The camera has captured the highs and lows of life as an American bald eagle. In more than 10 years in Big Bear Valley, Jackie has lost about a dozen eggs and eaglets, raised three hatchlings, fallen for two mates, braved blizzards and fought off countless enemies.
Most recently, Jackie has been struggling with her latest heartbreak.

A star is born
Jackie became the first eaglet hatched in Big Bear Valley in 2012, according to Friends of Big Bear Valley, a preservation group that operates Jackie's webcam and meticulously documents her life and that of her trusty mate, Shadow.

Jackie's parents, Ricky and Lucy, became the first known adult eagles who decided to stay in Big Bear Valley, which until then had only been a part-time winter destination for the species.

Big Bear resident Sandy Steers lives only a half-mile from where Jackie was born and watched her grow up from a distance.
"You could see her practicing flying, you could see them (Lucy and Ricky) bringing her food," Steers said. "I stood there for hours every day just watching because I was fascinated. That got me hooked and then I just wanted to see more."
That's when Steers and U.S. Forest Service employee got the idea to put up a webcam. It took two years to raise the $10,000 needed to buy and install the solar-powered camera, which sits 120 feet off the forest floor. 

Finding fame
Jackie lived in relative eagle obscurity before the webcam was installed. Now her YouTube page and a daily live chat require multiple moderators, who hail from Florida, Nebraska, Arizona and the Netherlands, reflecting Jackie's global fan base.

Jackie's popularity also has been bolstered by a Facebook page that has more than a half million followers who enjoy video highlights and regular, detailed updates.
In 2017, the camera captured Jackie's first romance. As thousands watched, she mated with an eagle named Mr. B, and the couple's eggs hatched in 2018.

In 2019 Shadow & Jackies little one ((Cookie)) died after a 24-hour rainstorm but the other, named Stormy, survived and left Big Bear that summer.

Soon after, a new male came to town, chased off Mr. B and stole Jackie's heart.
The interloper, Shadow, and Jackie have been together ever since, producing at least 11 eggs. Only two have survived: Simba and Spirit.
Who's the boss? Anyone who watches the eagle cam for even a few hours will quickly begin to observe the birds' many quirks. Personality wise, Jackie is definitely the boss. "She's very determined, very serious, and she expects to get her way," Steers said.

Jackie is also also bigger than Shadow and the main defender of the nest, which has to be guarded from ravens and other predators who would eat the couple's eggs. Though Shadow has to weather Jackie's moods, he's her perfect match. Unlike Mr. B.
"She bossed Mr. B around like crazy and he was kind of wimpy," Steers said. "But Shadow kind of stands up to her sometimes, and she seems to like that better."

A heartbreak and some hope
Since mid-January, Jackie and Shadow's followers have been excited for their two new eggs, tuning in to watch them dote over the future eaglets.
A Facebook post last week broke the bad news about the eggs, now many days overdue.
"It appears now that Jackie and Shadow’s eggs are not going to hatch," Tuesday's post said. "We cannot know exactly why — they could have not been fertilized, or could have stopped developing somewhere along the process ... We will simply trust that nature knows best what it is doing and why."
One fan wrote that she was "heartbroken for these two loving and dedicated eagle parents."
"I love these two and my heart just breaks for them," another user wrote. "All the hard time laying on the nest through all this bad weather and never giving up. Bless them."

As of Saturday, Jackie and Shadow were still dutifully caring for the eggs, though they've started leaving them unattended for hours at times.

Based on their previous behavior with eggs that never hatched, Jackie and Shadow may continue to care for the eggs for several weeks before giving up, Steers said.
Although it's a big blow both to the eagle parents and their followers, there's still hope for eaglets this year, Steers said.
The couple have mated recently and still have time to lay more eggs, a possibility that will be closely monitored by their followers.

"Thankfully Jackie and Shadow still have many years of being able to hatch eggs!" one fan wrote on Facebook. "Looking forward to continuing to watch them."

article via USA TODAY March 5th 2023 https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/animalkind/2023/03/05/big-bear-bald-eagle-live-nest-cam/11377425002/ 
« Last Edit: March 06, 2023, 12:11:05 PM by LORIDAVIS »
Lori Davis
AcuraRacerGirl

LORIDAVIS

• Peace Love Unity & Respect
    • Facebook
« Reply #2446 on: March 06, 2023, 12:15:03 PM »

Kansas Farmer Derek Camera Home of Bonnie and Clyde - Great Horned Owls

Welcome to season 3 with Bonnie and Clyde! They successfully raised to owlets Tiger and Lily in their first season.  This season they have 2 eggs and one hatch in progress today!! Congratulations Bonnie & Clyde!

Bonnie & Clyde. Hatch in Progress Report Egg #1; Bonnie returns w/bird prey; Clyde eats prey. https://youtu.be/g5LA2X229iQ via androcat
March 6, 2023, is Day 34.  Incubation period for Great Horned Owls is 30-37 days.
Bonnie takes two breaks, allowing us to see the hatch progress on Egg #1.  When she returns from her first break, she brings bird prey with her, likely provided by Clyde.  Early AM 3-6-23, Clyde arrives with rodent prey.  Bonnie does not appear interested, and Clyde swallows the prey. Thank you, Farmer Derek, for the live cams, allowing us to observe wildlife on the farm, and Bonnie & Clyde, Great Horned Owls

live cams:
overhead view https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSbpW9By1bA
side view https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRMzzjyumHs

History...
Feb 5, 2021 Bonnie and Clyde Hijack the Eagle Nest! https://youtu.be/1aEBbL9auo4
Bonnie and Clyde are a mated pair of Great Horned owls. They couldn't manage to find a home of their own, so they hijacked Willie and Marie's, the American Bald Eagles, home.
Lori Davis
AcuraRacerGirl

camperstig

• "Hoo hoo hoo hoo!"
« Reply #2447 on: March 06, 2023, 12:42:55 PM »

Some bounce
Wow. I'm surprised I was only outside for 45 minutes. I did half the sidewalk and then all of our side of the driveway which meant I had to push a bunch of snow over on my brother's side first. I was only able to move about one foot square at a time because it is so heavy.
Camper is off to his eye doctor appointment and will take over the snow removal when he gets back.
Time to rest...
camper'sTIG - South Central MN
Decorah follower since Apr 2, 2011
"May Bob now soar with the eagles and dive with the falcons. You've left a living legacy behind on the earth" (barbells126)

clynndunn

• For the love of Eagles....
« Reply #2448 on: March 06, 2023, 03:03:51 PM »

Text from Barb: Sue is going home this afternoon! Pain is more manageable. Great news!

Lori, thanks for all the updates! So Jackie is kind of acting like DNF, she knows the egg won't hatch... Sad, they have not had the best luck at Big Bear...  Thanks for the story of Shadow and Jackie.  Bonnie and Clyde, how cute! We used to keep up with Allesondra's Owl Cam several years ago, buy the owls finally left and Alesondra grew up... They were Tiger and Mrs. Tiger, Great Horned Owls. They nested in a flower box on a ledge outside Alesondra's bedroom window.

oldguy, great video, View from the bottom of cats! And on the MN DNR nest, not only emerging from the snow, but a changing of the guard as well! Thanks!

Lisa, love that Beach Boys song!

Lani, thanks for the video of M15 running the intruder out!  Love how the eaglets follow Dad in the sky!

The Forgotten Iowa Historical Society - Kendall W. Countryman  ·  Four legged tree in Cedar Falls, Iowa.
One hundred years ago (1915), John Henning planted 4 linden tree saplings—2 on either side of the walk—leading up to his front door. Mr. Henning, a farmer who had immigrated from Germany as a young man, had moved into town when he retired. With lots of expereince grafting apple trees, he aimed to imitate the archways of lindens he recalled from Berlin. First, the two on the same side of the walk were lashed together and grafted. Then when each pair was tall enough to arch over the walk, he grafted the pairs. Over time, a towering trunk grew from the original four.  The four-legged tree of Cedar Falls has weathered two major setbacks in its long life. Not too many years after Mr. Henning started his project, the front right tree died and a replacement was grafted in. Thus the lesser girth of that trunk.  Source: Marcia Milner-Brage/Urban Sketchers

Never lie, steal, cheat, or drink. But if you must lie, lie in the arms of the one you love. If you must steal, steal away from bad company. If you must cheat, cheat death. And if you must drink, drink in the moments that take your breath away. ~ Unknown

baziunc

• Queen of Decorah - April 10, 2016
« Reply #2449 on: March 06, 2023, 03:16:18 PM »

Happy Day, Beakers!  :)

Lani, yep, not a happy ending for either of our teams the other day. I know it's hard to watch them lose, but your team will still be a number 1 seed in the NCAA Tourney, and more than likely will be the Overall Number 1 Seed!  They had a great season, especially against Quad 1 teams! Let the Cozy Burger Feast begin at your house!  ;) :D  However, my team's loss last Saturday most likely means it may have missed its last oh-so-slight remaining chance to even get any berth to play in the NCAA Tourney this year at all!!  Big difference in the impact of those losses for each of our teams this past weekend.  My team kinda sorta gets a "last chance" for an "at-large" invite to the NCAA Tourney IF they have a couple of spectacular wins in their ACC Conference Tournament. Their first game in their conference tourney is tomorrow night.  We'll see.  Sigh...

Phyl, glad you finally got your power, cable, and internet back! Sorry about the roof shingles, and hope there are no leaks. We get used to seeing blue tarps on roofs here in my tropical storm/hurricane land. But I hope you won't need one, and hope you can get the missing shingles replaced soon, too!

E4E, pleeezzze, sip a pretty drink with a paper umbrella in it for me while you're there!  ;) :D  Enjoy being in Paradise!!  :)

Waving to All the Beakers! Please stay safe and warm.  :)

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center

baziunc

• Queen of Decorah - April 10, 2016
« Reply #2450 on: March 06, 2023, 03:25:56 PM »

Clynn, great tree story!  I was just typing a note to TSK!  ... so of course that meant you have an update for us from Barb! LOL.  ;)  So glad to hear it's good news for TSK! Thanks for gathering and sharing that. (((Hugs to you)))   :-*

For TSK/Sue...

(((TSK))), Yay, you're getting discharged!  :)  I know "going home from the hospital day" is usually pretty taxing. I hope you can get settled in before too late in the day, and find a comfort zone so you can get some sleep tonight in your own bed. Lord knows, sleep is hard to come by in the hospital!  ::)  Hugs and continuing prayers for your healing and comfort.  :-*
« Last Edit: March 06, 2023, 03:27:32 PM by baziunc »
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center

Lani

• All Things Bright and Beautiful
« Reply #2451 on: March 06, 2023, 03:47:50 PM »

Clynn, that is great news for Tsk!!! She'll be able to be comfortable and heal at home! so thankful...  🙏🏼. :-*
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander

kbshcb

« Reply #2452 on: March 06, 2023, 04:23:03 PM »

Ha!....our MN Dept of Transportation has a sense of humor...

LisaG1967

« Reply #2453 on: March 06, 2023, 04:55:19 PM »

kb - LOL, that is a good one! 

baz - Waving to ya

clynn - That is great news about tsk going home!  Thank you for keeping us posted.  Loved candy cigarettes, and the bubblegum cigars! 

tig - Good luck to Camper at eye drs. 

Lori - Thanks for the Big Bear updates, and the info on Bonnie & Clyde. 

oldguy - I always wondered what game you played for cards, so its Canasta?  I use to play games on Pogo.com, and I loved when the weekly challenge was Canasta.  Thanks for the videos!

{{{tsk}}}

Have a good night, everyone!

oldguy

« Reply #2454 on: March 06, 2023, 05:27:21 PM »

KB - you really don't need this forecast :(
An Insane Weather Pattern Flip Is On The Way…   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7cCxixZmgw

Cat Returned To Old Owner's House After 8 Years And An Unbelievable Thing Happened   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnZ2yTdfCCw

SOS - Origin Story | Simon's Cat Extra   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppeaViawQmU
SE Iowa - Grew up within 40 miles of Decorah

kbshcb

« Reply #2455 on: March 06, 2023, 06:02:27 PM »

Oldguy.....NO,NO,NO....

Where do you suppose I can put it anymore?

Also, it'd be one thing if I had a hubby/bro/neighbor/friend to help....but it's just me.....and
Andrew or Trevor doing the driveway when over 2 inches.

Lani

• All Things Bright and Beautiful
« Reply #2456 on: March 06, 2023, 07:24:16 PM »

Ha!....our MN Dept of Transportation has a sense of humor...

Kb, YES! Driving on the valley freeways, is the worse. I play with my ipad when Mike is driving through the valley. I'm clinging to my seat when we're down there.  :( ... oh, and when it rains! The drivers can't deal with rain or sleet  :o

All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander

Phyl

• Maggie lives in Nashville,Tennessee Music City USA
    • https://parler.com @Phylll
« Reply #2457 on: March 06, 2023, 10:25:46 PM »

Tsk...

And offer hearty 'Congratulations' on your return home from the hopital!
Home is the best place to recover.

"Every new day begins with possibilities."
President Ronald Reagan  at  the 1985 Geneva Summit

#IstandwithEvan

Phyl

« Reply #2458 on: March 06, 2023, 11:15:05 PM »

Both of us got very good reports from our eye  doc.  ;D  And, experienced a new device for screening for MD. Jim passed. ANd, I got a stunned doc who said my mild case was gone.  It had to be the Preservision Areds2.  She said no medical reason for me to take them. But, I'll finish what I do have.
Due to age we go back in September.

Clynn luv the greetings for today.  Discovered that my subscription to Nat Geo online had expiered so the links I posted won't work. Shucks!
What an enderaring photo of E21/22 shared by Sue from Marti Lord. Sad in a way those kids will never know their mother ...
Thanks for the update on TSK---so glad she's home. I  hope Lulu can cuddle with her and send  out those healing MHz (purrs)!
Very interesting read from  The Forgotten Iowa Historical Society - Kendall W. Countryman  ·  Four legged tree in Cedar Falls, Iowa.
Candy cigarette binge. LOL

Hi Lisa many thanks for the cocoa the 'donots' are ever so tempting. I can smell them. LOL   

Eagles looking forward to  your return  and the awesome photos you'l share.  ;D

KB
I can hear that 'snow scream' all the way in Music City USA. Do take care driving and all. Agree, where can you shovel more?

Tig will be thinking and praying for Camper's BIL  heart surgery.   {{Tig, Camper, BIL}}

Puff 'Big Girls Don't Cry'---ah but they do,  sometimes   ;)

Oldguy glad to read  your weather is improving; I parents were old Canasta players and a team themselves to be 'feared' on game night.  There was a group of 8 couples,  varing occupations. Each couple would host the bi-weekly Friday night gatherings lasting from 7pm to often 2am.  The smorgasboard of food   :o
Always enjoy Quarantine Kids .  Tks for kitty vids, too

Lori many th;anks for the nests updates/photos. Jackie/Shadow remind me somewhat of Audacity/Jak Sauces channel islands nest.

Hi Bazi  thank you for your good wishes. Maybe E4E (Eagles) will bring you one of those  little paper umbrellas. I iknow what you mean about them

Songs about snow and winter: https://www.bing.com/search?q=songs+about+snow+and+winter&qs=AS&pq=songs+about+snow&sk=LS1&sc=10-16&cvid=37E56402930B44C6A71AB00339CF000A&FORM=CHRDEF&sp=2&lq=0
« Last Edit: March 07, 2023, 12:35:00 AM by Phyl »
President Ronald Reagan  at  the 1985 Geneva Summit

#IstandwithEvan

Phyl

« Reply #2459 on: March 06, 2023, 11:22:39 PM »

'Good Evening/Good Night' .
Wishing  everyone ‘SEDs’