Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beak Room 2023  (Read 575383 times)

karengramke

Re: Beak Room 2023
« Reply #11445 on: November 21, 2023, 07:44:33 PM »

Tsk, I was in bed!  It moves so I had the head up like they told me to do!  I do not sleep flat and have  for years .   Keep my feet up too so I am almost in a v position!   Not a pretty picture!    Think I got y head too high yesterday!  Lol!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2023, 08:01:47 PM by karengramke »

Lani

• All Things Bright and Beautiful
« Reply #11446 on: November 21, 2023, 11:12:12 PM »

Kia ora koutou (hello everyone) From Ranger Sharyn Broni
Thank you all for your patience at this quiet time on the Royalcam.
Elsewhere in the colony it has not been as quiet as watching the grass grow.
Some eggs are old enough to candle to determine whether they are fertile or not.
Check out this video from 2020 to see how candling an egg at a nest looks.

Rangers Candle The Royal Albatross Egg at the #RoyalCam Nest | NZ Dept of Conservation | Cornell Lab

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBH959EPhkk&t=126s

Jan 11, 2020
Candling uses a bright light to shine through the egg shell to observe changes in the size of the airspace and embryos within the shell. Candling the eggs allows biologists to assess whether the embryo inside is developing properly as well as estimating how near to hatch the egg is. In this video, a New Zealand Department of Conservation Ranger visits the RoyalCam nest to candle the egg, which should be nearing hatching in the next couple weeks. Afterward, she reported that "Egg is developing as it should."

Busy Rangers checking on nests

Grand Princess off to Christchurch and the Monarch

Tsk, Milo was difficult the first year he was with us. Remember he kept jumping off the 2nd floor patio, jumping on the kitchen cupboards, he wouldn't let anyone pet him. I didn't know about a calming collar until now, I did use calming spray then, lots of patience and tlc.... Norman has always been a cuddle bug.... I don't know why he's acting up... Nothing has changed except the seasons.... Here's a recipe for Roux mix. I've made it for 60 years, mainly by memory. I found this recipe for you..  https://www.allrecipes.com/article/how-to-make-roux/

T40, Thanks for article. We've been alerted, thank goodness for our Beak family and walking buddies. Sadie is current on her shots.

{{{Karen}}} I hope you have a good night's sleep and feel better tomorrow.

Good night!

Sweet Eagle Dreams, Baz, Lori, Karen, Puff, Tsk, Oldguy, Lisa, Lilbro, Eagles, Pink, Clynn, Kb, Tig, Blschue, Phyl, BL and Pip, Godiva, Peep, Jaspurr, Ezee, Eburg, Lindy, RubyRed246, ssrl, Firetruck, Weasel, Jilltosa, Maxie, Masswatch, Paulie, DeborahG, MpMom and Pete, laniebelle, OnEagleWings, NWarg, Garmohoff, Nrstooge, WendyC3, Tigeag, T40, Ginger, Cwellsla, Nanimal, Bggolden, Nora, Rewrap4u, Eaglesrock, Teamcarnes, Seabeeinch, Walton, Sparky, Tulsaducati, Omasawyer, izzysamlikeseagles, bustopbird, Neva, Yank, Linda.L, smrf, nhJane.

Thinking of and missing, Peep, Jaspurr, Jilltosa, Wilson, Godiva, MpMom and Pete, Marrymo, Keystone, TxTeacher, Smb, Naimoj, Thyla/Anne, D7Birder, Indy, Neva, Smb, Alice, and those who have not been with us for a while.

Prayers For Tsk and Tim, Lisa's Jeff, Phyl and Jim, Baz, Kb's friends Vi and Dennis, Karen and Piper, Paulie, Eagle's mom, Tsk's DIL Amy, SIL and grandson, Tig, Puff, Jicaji, Lori and her grandma Clute, Maxie and Larry, Camper's daughter, Ed's sis Gina, Tsk's Barb & Tom, Baz great niece and family, Peep, Jaspurr, Clynn's DIL's mom, Ed's friend Greg, Puff's brother, Masswatch hubby Jamey, Pip's Dad, Ezee, EagleFanDave, Tim's Uncle, Paulie's granddaughter Madison, Emy and family, Clynn's mom and Ed, WW JW, Keystone, Jilltosa, Eaglesrock cousin Michael, Thyla/Anne, Neva's family, Weasel and family, and All here in need of healing and comforting.

Special Prayers For Eagle's Mom, Tsk's DIL Amy, Baz, Tig, Puff, Tsk, Phyl, Jim and Maggie, Karen, Blschue and family, Lori and family, Phyl's BIL Danny and brother Dan.

Special prayers for All God's creature great and small, For Siamese mother and kittens, Miss Maggie, Manaaki, UQ and the Royal Albatross fleet, Hellgate Iris, TRR Sloths, Brooks Fall Brown Bear Otis, and lost 2023 cubs, Honey and Gunnar, SWFL Harriet, Star, Little One and all those like her, TRR rescue babies, The Fairy Penguins, Berry Mom,  NEFL Juliet, Romeo and Samson, Lucy and Larry, Salt River wild horses, Alaska Bears and Wolves that they be saved, Decorah, E2/D1, Dr Rogers and Black bears Shadow and family and Wildlife Research Institute, and All God's creatures great and small.
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander

baziunc

• Queen of Decorah - April 10, 2016
« Reply #11447 on: November 22, 2023, 12:04:25 AM »

Howdy Beakers.  :)

I'm just now getting a chance to check in. I walked 33 minutes today - was in a dash to get out to run errands before the rain, so I kept my walk shorter.

Lani, the Kansas game in Maui just ended. Ruh roh... not their best game.  I think I can hear Mike from here.  ;)  Are you hiding in your office?  :o  My team plays in a holiday tournament in the Bahamas Wednesday at noon.

Beakers, I'm going to try to read the posts now, but may not get a chance to post afterward till tomorrow. It's after midnight my time, and I'm tired and not feeling great, no thanks to a major digestive upset after dinner tonight. I'm not prone to that kind of thing, so I'm guessing something I ate didn't agree, since I feel fine otherwise, and I have no fever or other symptoms.  I'm wondering if it was the crab salad I picked up on my way home from errands and had with my dinner.

Sleep well, All, Peace. SED.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center

Phyl

• Maggie lives in Nashville,Tennessee Music City USA
    • https://parler.com @Phylll
« Reply #11448 on: November 22, 2023, 06:13:22 AM »

Good Morning Everyone... Happy Wedesday !   

Currently 52F mostly cloudy with a   High  60F  mostly sunny,  Low 43 F .

Hi Bazi

Lani your poor hubby  :(  ; thanks for the Royal Albie report will have to fininsh

E4E hope you had a chance to visit w/ your mom---men love to go fishing

{{{Karen}}} hoping you feel better today

Puff thanks for your holiday memories, lots of decorations

Tsk gravies are easy! One of the first dishes my mom taught me to make.  ;)

Prayers for:   Our friend and ally the Nation of Israel and peace for her people. All abandoned, abused  cats and feral cats; Linda and Ian, My  Alter prayer list
The Bluebirds of Cane Ridge, Tennessee, Hummingbirds, Bumble Bees  and Honey bees everywhere . The Beakroom and Cheers.

"Every new day begins with possibilities."
President Ronald Reagan  at  the 1985 Geneva Summit

#IstandwithEvan

Phyl

#IstandwithEvan

Phyl

« Reply #11450 on: November 22, 2023, 06:39:01 AM »

This tribe helped the Pilgrims survive for their first Thanksgiving. They still regret it 400 years later.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/2021/11/04/thanksgiving-anniversary-wampanoag-indians-pilgrims/

A painting done in 1995 by Karen Rinaldo, of Falmouth, Mass., depicts what many Wampanoag tribal leaders and historians say is one of the few accurate portrayals of β€œThe First Thanksgiving 1621,” between the Wampanoags and the Pilgrims. (Karen Rinaldo)

** Left click of mouse enlarge painting for detail
« Last Edit: November 22, 2023, 06:45:55 AM by Phyl »

#IstandwithEvan

clynndunn

• For the love of Eagles....
« Reply #11451 on: November 22, 2023, 07:05:35 AM »

Good Morning Beakers!

[img width=398

http://Phyl, love the Fall barn pic! 24 here now, high 53 and sunny! Will read the WAPO article about the Pilgrims as soon as I find my password! Nice picture of the First Thanksgiving. The French Alps are beautiful with all the snow, those goats are real mountain climbers!

baz, good for you getting your walk in! Hope your tummy wakes up fine this morning! Funny how we always tend to blame the seafood, maybe because it's hard to tell by smell if it's gone south! Hope that's all it was!

Lani, interesting video of the egg candling, Mama is so patient watching the Ranger. Very clever to give Mama the fake egg while they check! I have made Roux a few times, we always called it White Sauce but it is the exact same ingredients. Grandma and Mom never measured any of it, no written recipe either. It's one of those recipes you can adjust depending on how thick you wanted it I guess. Poor Mile, he is going through a phase. I sometimes feel bad about yelling at Harley, but he just keeps on doing the things. Maybe I will try some Feliway, I don't think I could ever get a collar on him!  I feel for Mike, hope you get a quick answer on the shot.

karen, hoping you wake up fine this morning! Has Piper noticed the new fence?

SWFL - MLiz Photos  - 11 21 2023  -  Officially on egg watch!
Today M15 brought a fish, F23 claimed the fish and mantled, she then began to eat in the nest and M15 too off and brought grass, some stick, there was one stick that M15 got was a long one and when he flew pass by cam tree 2 it broke and he got some pieces he arrived to the nest and F23 remind him that she is eating lol my fish! Sub Adult flew by west pasture area and continue, 2 Caracaras flew by as well they were too far away for pics.  Unfortunately GHO (Great Horned Owl) attacks will continue, it is part of nature.
I will remind again: Behavior of an Eagle before egg laying: The female may begin to exhibit increasing lethargy for a day or few days before oviposition. She may stand in the nest or lie in the cup almost motionless for minutes or even hours. This is a great tease, and it may or may not lead immediately to egg-laying. Observable lethargy does not always occur. Watch her body and her behavior. She is exhibiting those behaviors. Any day now! She will tease us every now and then lol. Keep watching. 🙂 Be kind to one another!

« Last Edit: November 22, 2023, 07:07:23 AM by clynndunn »
Never lie, steal, cheat, or drink. But if you must lie, lie in the arms of the one you love. If you must steal, steal away from bad company. If you must cheat, cheat death. And if you must drink, drink in the moments that take your breath away. ~ Unknown

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #11452 on: November 22, 2023, 07:19:11 AM »

HI EVERYONE

T40   Thanks for the news story on new respiratory illness in dogs .  Very scary.

LANI    Thanks for info on candling  Cruise ship  :o   Yes now I remember about Milo. Thanks for the refresher.  Let us know how the calming collar works.   Sorry for the misspelling on roux - It looked funny when I typed it  LOL   Liked the recipe - Didn't know roux had different shades.  I book marked it.

BAZI   My alma mater Marquette ( 4th) is there as well.  Have not checked the news yet.  Hope you feel better today.  Could be crab salad... :-\

PHYL   Beautiful sight in the Alps 365 

CLYNN   That was quite a tree M15 was carrying  ;D
Chicagoland

Puff

« Reply #11453 on: November 22, 2023, 07:27:09 AM »

Good mornin' all.

Found two stories on treatment yesterday for dogs.  The other - I got item from Paws/Chicago Humane.  There is a new Parvo shot treatment.  Instead of month long suffering technique that wasn't always successful, there is now a new injection that works 2-3 days.  Great fast, and thorough recovery sometimes a couple days.  Of course downfall is cost.

I only mention in case we have any pet/dog lovers in the group.   :P

P
« Last Edit: November 22, 2023, 07:31:21 AM by Puff »

Phyl

« Reply #11454 on: November 22, 2023, 08:02:08 AM »

Lani And Milo..How is your fella doing this morning...much better I hope. I've read  a lot about the 'calming' scents and collars for cats. But, never used them.
I sure hope that helps and/or he's back to his ol' self.  :-*

CLynn I got WAPO article   w/o a password. I was redirected by Smithsonian. Many , many thanks for the update on SWFL . And,  EGGWATCH! too.  Is that the 'Y' branch from Dechorah M15 was carrying?  ;D
It won't be too long and all the nests will be on 'Eggwatch' and the 'eggscitement' begins.  ;)

Puff   :)     thanks for info---But, I'm a cat only sort of gal.   ;)

*Yeah. It's photoshopped

#IstandwithEvan

Phyl

« Reply #11455 on: November 22, 2023, 08:10:01 AM »

https://irresistiblepets.net/thanksgiving-food-dogs-cats/

Over the decades this has been my guidelines for feeding  over the holidays.
Of course ham at  Christmas and Easter. But small amounts due to sodium content.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2023, 08:12:23 AM by Phyl »

#IstandwithEvan

kbshcb

« Reply #11456 on: November 22, 2023, 08:25:50 AM »

the eyes project a direct link to the soul of Nature. Black wolf.

T40 - thanks for that article regarding the new pathogen making dogs sick. First I have heard about a possible identification of it and why it's been so hard to do so. Doxycycline is now planted in my brain.

I got an e mail as did all my Vet's patients regarding this problem a week back. Bottom line, keep your dogs away from other dogs. No problem for me and Ollie except when head to clinic for dog toe nail clips. However, they do keep dogs away from each other in separate rooms etc.

Had my skin cancer laser tx yesterday. I was told this procedure vs. the Mohs on this particular lesion will provide a 95 percent cure vs. the other. Meaning there is only a 5 percent chance it will return in 3 years without doing the Mohs...I'll take my chances thank you. Doc only said 3 weeks to self repair not 6 like someone on the phone said. I did forget to ask the same risk/benefit percentage on the Mohs which surely can't be 100.

It did occur to me that the Mohs is far more lucrative than laser ;) ;)

Phyl

« Reply #11457 on: November 22, 2023, 08:39:55 AM »

KB tks for update on your proceedure yesterday. Great news on the healing time! I was actually concerned about that.  Hope there
are no complications or returns. Good that Olliman keeps away from other dogs w/ that 'pathogen' spreading. He'll be safe and healthy.

#IstandwithEvan

kbshcb

« Reply #11458 on: November 22, 2023, 09:04:28 AM »

Thanks, Phyl - I feel good about My decision.
He reiterated, after many of my questions, this is all from sun exposure in my "youth"....again, I blame California and the 20 years I lived in the sun there, LOL.
He also said I could spend as much time in the sun now and going forward as I want to. I'll be dead before any of that exposure causes me any new skin damage.

I reminded him of the fact that my moving to California by 20 yrs of age reduced my chances of getting Multiple Sclerosis by nearly 100 percent. My mother had it.

So kinda of a comme ci, comme ca.

Eagles4evr1116

• Decorah follower since 04/06/2011.
« Reply #11459 on: November 22, 2023, 09:25:30 AM »

LisaG - Kris didn't catch a fish yesterday, but had a nice visit with his friend.  He was back home by 12:30p!

Lani - Hope the calming collar works for Milo.  Sorry to hear he is not being very nice to Norman.  Wishing you all the best with the situation {{Lani}}  Hope Mike gets some relief soon.    Thank you for posting Albatross info.   We are heading South to San Luis Obispo - leaving a little later this morning! :)

Karen - Hope you found what you were looking for at Hobby Lobby yesterday. :)  Just read you stayed home - hope you feel better soon {{Karen}}

Tsk - My Mom & sis were over here the day before yesterday and we had a wonderful visit - they were here for a couple of hours! :)    No fish were caught yesterday.  Hubby said his friend wanted to fish from the Rocks and that didn't turn out to be very comfortable.  Next time they will fish from the surf!
Baz - Hope you are feeling better today.

Phyl - Love your morning Fall scene!   Beautiful Alps in 365.  Thank you for posting Indians and Pilgrims.

Clynn - Great pic at SWFL and very exciting too - wishing all the best for M15 & F23  :)

Puff - Good info!

Kb - Wishing you all the very best results with the laser treatment - and good for you for staying on top of it! {{Kb}}

Beakers have a nice day. :)