Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 42   Go Down

Author Topic: Alcoa Eagle Nest, Davenport Iowa  (Read 54656 times)

T40cfr403

Re: Alcoa Eagle Nest, Davenport Iowa
« Reply #60 on: June 17, 2016, 10:34:01 PM »

Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of the world.
― Rachel Carson, Silent Spring

Yankeexpress

« Reply #61 on: June 21, 2016, 10:47:04 PM »

Links to hancockwildlife photos, Bigger of the two eaglets:

One branched:

The other branched eaglet:

Todays GPS tracking of the two juvies....they have not gone far:

« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 10:49:29 PM by Yankeexpress »

oldguy

« Reply #62 on: June 24, 2016, 10:08:48 AM »

Today's gps data map and a shot of the visitors to the nest this morning.  Update from John this morning is that this map is the last for 2 weeks done by WVU.  John will update us during this time.  Eagle calls frequently heard on nest mic.  Star is 11 weeks old today, so should start real flight soon.
SE Iowa - Grew up within 40 miles of Decorah

baziunc

• Queen of Decorah - April 10, 2016
« Reply #63 on: June 24, 2016, 03:41:24 PM »

Thanks, oldguy.  The juvies look so beautiful!  Talons crossed that they continue to do well.   :) :-* :-*  In the maps, how can I tell which dot is the real "last known position?"  In your reference to "John," is that John Howe, of RRP, or someone else?
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center

oldguy

« Reply #64 on: June 25, 2016, 08:57:51 PM »

Hi baz - John is an Alcoa employee that oversees the Eagle nest operations.  I have not been able to identify the dot for last known location either.  And John will be doing the data maps for the next 2 weeks and he mentioned that he has not figured out how to color code the data points, so they will be confusing with both sets the same color.  Late yesterday John posted 4 photos of Sky on the ground near the nest tree and then flying at 4-5 ft off the ground to a tree about 250 ft away.  Photos were taken over the noon hour on Friday (6-24-16)

The parents have been eating on the nest the past 2 days - consensus is they are trying to get the kids to come back to the nest.  I am including a screen cap from this evening just before 8pm of a parent eating in the nest. :)  Watchers report that they are hearing both Sky & Star chatting and squeeing for food when the Ps are in the area.

Otherwise regular watchers have footage showing the edge of the nest falling off.  I guess we will have to wait for October to find out if J & L continue building at this nest or move elsewhere. :-\

Overall, the eaglets seem to be growing, getting feed and improving their flight skills.  Expecting both to be back in the tree tops sometime this week. :D ;D 8)

baziunc

« Reply #65 on: June 26, 2016, 12:21:34 PM »

Hi baz - John is an Alcoa employee that oversees the Eagle nest operations.  I have not been able to identify the dot for last known location either.  And John will be doing the data maps for the next 2 weeks and he mentioned that he has not figured out how to color code the data points, so they will be confusing with both sets the same color.  Late yesterday John posted 4 photos of Sky on the ground near the nest tree and then flying at 4-5 ft off the ground to a tree about 250 ft away.  Photos were taken over the noon hour on Friday (6-24-16)

The parents have been eating on the nest the past 2 days - consensus is they are trying to get the kids to come back to the nest.  I am including a screen cap from this evening just before 8pm of a parent eating in the nest. :)  Watchers report that they are hearing both Sky & Star chatting and squeeing for food when the Ps are in the area.

Otherwise regular watchers have footage showing the edge of the nest falling off.  I guess we will have to wait for October to find out if J & L continue building at this nest or move elsewhere. :-\

Overall, the eaglets seem to be growing, getting feed and improving their flight skills.  Expecting both to be back in the tree tops sometime this week. :D ;D 8)

oldguy, oh wow, thank you for all that great info and update report!!  LOL on "last known postiion" - maybe it should say "previously known positions" -  :D :D :D  Just kidding...  And thanks for filling me in on who "John" is... I figured it couldn't be John Howe, but I guess stranger things have happened.  ;)  It sure is nice to get reports that both Star and Sky are managing well so far.  I hope the parents will be successful in luring both kids back up to the nest soon.  It would be nice to know the "kids" have attained more advanced flying abilities, and they sure will be safer when they can fly and perch and roost higher.  I hope they will stay safe till then.  :-* :-* :-* :-*  It will be interesting to see what the next nesting season brings here in terms of either a re-building of the existing nest, or building a new one.  Thanks again, oldguy:)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center

oldguy

« Reply #66 on: June 28, 2016, 05:00:27 PM »

Not much to update on news - Star & Sky are still going from tree to tree in the area of the nest.  There has been reports of seeing them on the tree top view cam today that had been zoomed out for widest view.  I caught a cap. of one of them perched in the nest tree to the left and below the nest - not a very good cap. - but was able to see it move its head about in live action. this was about 4:30 to 4:45 pm today.

oldguy

« Reply #67 on: June 30, 2016, 11:06:07 AM »

Well, we have one of them back to the nest.  :o ;D 8) Watchers believe it to be Sky. (cap1) Mom brought a fish early this morning and nibbled at it.  (cap2) Sky came to the nest and took it away from Mom and ate it all.  Then proceeded to repair the nest rail and (cap3) then laid down for a well deserved nap. (cap4) About 11 Sky got up and worked on the nest for a few minutes before laying down again. ::)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 12:20:25 PM by oldguy »

oldguy

« Reply #68 on: July 03, 2016, 12:03:17 PM »

Star finally returned to the nest on Sat afternoon - flying in with out problem. ;D ;D ;D ;D

baziunc

« Reply #69 on: July 03, 2016, 01:16:10 PM »

oldguy, thank you for your updates and pics!   :)  I'm so excited to hear that both Star and Sky have been seen returning to the nest since fledge.  :) :-* :-*

corky2

« Reply #70 on: July 03, 2016, 01:34:25 PM »

Yes, thanks for posting updates here.  I'm a lurker, but very much appreciate reading what's posted.  This forum has been missing some others who had been posting before, so glad to see others posting.

oldguy

« Reply #71 on: July 03, 2016, 04:16:13 PM »

Thanks baz & corky2

Sky has remained on the nest or perched on a nearby limb since making it back to the nest on Thursday morning.  One of the regulars reported seeing Sky fly out towards the river and then coming back to perch on the bare branch just beyond the nest tree on the TTV cam until a parent brought food to the nest on Saturday.  Star first landed on the nest Saturday shortly after noon nest time.  Star has come and gone from cam view since then.  On Friday, Sky was brought 2 fish and 2 unidentified snacks, which was quickly devoured.  So the 2 are definitely being well feed.

Both have been quietly chilling out at the nest this afternoon - below is 2 captures from around 4pm

enjoy
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 05:11:28 PM by oldguy »

Lani

• All Things Bright and Beautiful
« Reply #72 on: July 06, 2016, 09:24:43 PM »

Oldguy, Great pics and update. Thanks!  :D
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander

baziunc

« Reply #73 on: July 07, 2016, 03:47:33 PM »

Thanks oldguy!  :)

oldguy

« Reply #74 on: July 08, 2016, 06:42:47 PM »

Not much has changed in the last few days.  Both enjoyed/survived the storms this week.  The weekend is forecast for temps to get into the mid 80's with partly cloudy skies and no rain.

Both have been coming and going from the nest, but eating at the nest.  Take off and landings seem to be smooth.  Expecting them to start exploring further from the nest over the next week.

Below is a capture as both were finishing up a meal around 6pm and the GPS maps from this morning.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 42   Go Up