Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Alcoa Eagle Nest, Davenport Iowa  (Read 54772 times)

Ginger52

• E Central IA
Re: Alcoa Eagle Nest, Davenport Iowa
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2016, 04:51:45 PM »

I don't follow this nest, but I came across this article about naming the eaglets:

RIVERDALE, Iowa (KWQC) ? Voting is now open to name the eaglets in the Alcoa EagleCam eaglets.

Alcoa opened voting on Monday to name the baby eagles. Voters can vote once a day, and there will be daily updates of the leading names.

The winning names will be announced on Tuesday, May 10.

Sorry, but Eagle McEagleface is not an option this year. These are the names voters can choose from:

Hunter & Fisher
Star & Sky
Sheldon & Amy
Pilgrim & Valor
Scout & Talon
Patriot & Joy

Link to vote: 

https://www.alcoa.com/locations/usa_davenport/en/info_page/eaglecam.asp

Yankeexpress

« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2016, 10:55:37 AM »

Mom on Mother's Day, flanked by her healthy eaglets

baziunc

• Queen of Decorah - April 10, 2016
« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2016, 02:19:45 PM »

Thanks, ginger and yankee!  Great s'caps today, too!  :)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center

Ginger52

• E Central IA
« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2016, 10:01:40 PM »

Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Say Hello to Star & Sky

The voting is over and the two Alcoa EagleCam eaglets for 2016 will now be known by the names Star and Sky. With nearly 5,000 votes almost 30% went to this pair of names. In keeping with our past practice Star will be the first hatch and Sky will be the second hatched

T40cfr403

« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2016, 05:23:48 AM »

Alcoa eaglets become part of research study

"More bald eagles have died at renewable energy projects in Iowa than in any other states, with at least seven killed since 2011."

http://qctimes.com/business/alcoa-eaglets-become-part-of-research-study/article_dea71abc-7eb8-5909-83c5-5b26ce33abc1.html

WVU Wildlife and Fisheries Resources Program: http://wildlife.wvu.edu/

USFWS Wind Energy Development - Information to Protect Wildlife: https://www.fws.gov/midwest/wind/index.html

Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of the world.
― Rachel Carson, Silent Spring

MpMom

• D1 in all of her beauty. Love 12,14,18,4,25 & 35
« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2016, 08:53:10 AM »

:( :-\
Will remember & love you Dad Decorah.

Caution: Exposure to the Son Prevents Burning..
From a sign in Missouri.
From T40~"I was supposed to spend the rest of my life with you. And then I realized...you spent the rest of your life with me."

T40cfr403

« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2016, 10:05:57 AM »

:( :-\

Alcoa helped fund this project with a $25K grant in 2015. Alcoa has its hands in the manufacture of wind turbines. Alcoa has a branded eagle cam. I think these 3 facts are related.
Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of the world.

MpMom

• D1 in all of her beauty. Love 12,14,18,4,25 & 35
« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2016, 11:18:05 AM »

:-\ All of these years they have never backpacked :-\
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 12:31:36 PM by MpMom »
Will remember & love you Dad Decorah.

Caution: Exposure to the Son Prevents Burning..
From a sign in Missouri.
From T40~"I was supposed to spend the rest of my life with you. And then I realized...you spent the rest of your life with me."

baziunc

« Reply #53 on: May 31, 2016, 02:36:02 PM »

Alcoa eaglets become part of research study

"More bald eagles have died at renewable energy projects in Iowa than in any other states, with at least seven killed since 2011."

http://qctimes.com/business/alcoa-eaglets-become-part-of-research-study/article_dea71abc-7eb8-5909-83c5-5b26ce33abc1.html

WVU Wildlife and Fisheries Resources Program: http://wildlife.wvu.edu/

USFWS Wind Energy Development - Information to Protect Wildlife: https://www.fws.gov/midwest/wind/index.html

I wonder if Amy, and RRP, are aware of this?  T40, did you email this to Amy?  I think this article is very interesting, especially also in light of the pending "30-year take rule" legislation.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center

T40cfr403

« Reply #54 on: May 31, 2016, 06:36:46 PM »

No, I didn't email Amy. Personally, I was mystified as to how they're going to use the tracking data to prove or disprove their hypothesis. If the juvies aren't killed by wind turbines, then wind power is OK? Or if they are, turbines are bad? What if they never go near a wind energy installation? What use are the data then? It was a short article and the entire research program couldn't be spelled out, of course, but there seem to be problems with the premise.

baziunc

« Reply #55 on: May 31, 2016, 07:26:58 PM »

T40, I had a lot of questions about that project, too!!!

T40cfr403

« Reply #56 on: June 14, 2016, 05:42:38 AM »

T40cfr403

« Reply #57 on: June 15, 2016, 04:45:38 AM »

oldguy

« Reply #58 on: June 16, 2016, 10:05:30 AM »

The Alcoa nest had a series of storms pass thru yesterday afternoon (Wed).  It knocked out the power for the cams - they are still offline this morning.  Both eaglets left the nest during the storms.  They were both found on the ground around 6:30pm - appearing ok
For more details, checkout the official web page

http://www.alcoa.com/locations/usa_davenport/en/info_page/eaglecam.asp

Just posted:

"This morning a team from the local office of U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service helped put our pair on a branch of a multi branch tree just west of the parking lot at the nest site." ................

Hopeful that the parents will feed them in this tree for the week it will take before they get full feather growth and will be able to fly back to the nest.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 11:55:32 AM by oldguy »
SE Iowa - Grew up within 40 miles of Decorah

baziunc

« Reply #59 on: June 17, 2016, 01:06:00 PM »

Thanks fpr the report about the storms and the eaglets, oldguy

I used the link from your post to read several updates there.  It says that both parents visited the damaged nest this morning and both kids were still in the tree where they had been placed after being picked up from the ground.  There are wonderful posts at your link with additional info and updates, and also posts from others with some pics.

I'm so glad to read that both the kids have moved to other branches in the same tree where they were placed yesterday and seemed to be okay after last check.   :-* :-* 

So, I'm repeating your link for others to see the news and updates and pics at:
http://www.alcoa.com/locations/usa_davenport/en/info_page/eaglecam.asp

I copy/pasted the two most recent updates as of this time from that link below - the first one is from last evening, and the second one below is from this morning (copyright Alcoa Inc.) :

Thursday, June 16, 2016

Eaglets Still in Temporary Tree
I just came back from checking on Star & Sky. They are still in the tree they were placed in this morning by USF&W. Each one has moved up a little higher and to some slightly smaller branches and both looked good. I did see both Liberty and Justice in the area so I think they are still in good hands for now until they can fly on their own.
Posted at 6:14:45 PM

Friday, June 17, 2016

Staying Put For Now
It was great to see Liberty and Justice stop in the nest for a while this morning. It will be interesting to see if/when they attempt any repairs to the damaged nest. Clearly their focus for right now is on Star and Sky and getting them to a point where they can fly.
Speaking of Star and Sky, it appears they have stayed in the tree where they were placed yesterday. I will go down there later today to check on them. Below is the last 24 hours telemetry. Keep in mind there are a few erroneous data points as they move to more densely leafed areas of this tree.
Posted at 9:09:40 AM