Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Sauces Bald Eagle Cam, California  (Read 231614 times)

MpMom

• D1 in all of her beauty. Love 12,14,18,4,25 & 35
Re: Sauces Bald Eagle Cam, California
« Reply #675 on: February 01, 2017, 07:21:08 PM »

Lanie & Baz, they worked so hard to make the nest perfect before the egg. Sad.
Yes, since she came to the nest (not saying it was her), they have had the 1st egg broken :-\ Hope she lays another ;)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 07:55:54 PM by MpMom »
Will remember & love you Dad Decorah.

Caution: Exposure to the Son Prevents Burning..
From a sign in Missouri.
From T40~"I was supposed to spend the rest of my life with you. And then I realized...you spent the rest of your life with me."

baziunc

• Queen of Decorah - April 10, 2016
« Reply #676 on: February 01, 2017, 08:08:08 PM »

Thanks, MpMom.  Yes, they made a wonderful-looking nest and egg cup.  Hmmm...  I hope it was just bad luck.  Talons crossed that another egg will be laid this year.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center

Emyrauld

« Reply #677 on: February 01, 2017, 11:02:53 PM »

Dr. Sharpe posted that he had seen A48 working the nest bowl..  he thought she was adjusting some sticks, but perhaps the egg hit against something hard or in the alternative that perhaps DDT might still be a problem here.

correction.  Here is the exact post.  Slightly different than what I posted from memory.

Posted 2/1/17 by Dr. Sharpe on IWS Chat:

"I thought the Sauces female was hitting branches when she dug down yesterday, so perhaps the egg was laying against something hard, causing it to break. Or perhaps DDT is still an issue."
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 02:18:15 PM by Emyrauld »
A sense of humor can help you overlook the unattractive, tolerate the unpleasant, cope with the unexpected and smile through the unbearable....Moshe Woldoks

Emyrauld

« Reply #678 on: February 03, 2017, 03:05:51 PM »

Second egg around noon today
A sense of humor can help you overlook the unattractive, tolerate the unpleasant, cope with the unexpected and smile through the unbearable....Moshe Woldoks

Emyrauld

« Reply #679 on: February 03, 2017, 06:42:22 PM »

:'(

Emyrauld

« Reply #680 on: February 03, 2017, 06:46:49 PM »

:'(

Emyrauld

« Reply #681 on: February 04, 2017, 08:30:36 AM »

Posted 2/3/17 on the IWS Facebook page:

"The Sauces birds laid and lost another egg today. Looking at the history of the nest, it has failed in 5 of the 9 previous nesting attempts, with 2 different males and 3 different females. Male A-28 was present 2008-2011, and the male A-40 from 2012 to present. Female A-02 was present in 2008-2009 and failed both years. Female A-27 was present from 2010 until she was displaced by A-48 in 2013. A-27 was successful every year except 2013, when ravens took the eggs. Female A-48 was unsuccessful in 2014 and 2015, and had two chicks last year. Why the eggs are breaking so quickly with the current pair is hard to say. Unfortunately, we can't get information on potential contaminates from eggshells; only from egg contents."

A48 has rarely left the nest since the second egg broke.  She spent the night there and was on it still as I write.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 08:33:49 AM by Emyrauld »

baziunc

« Reply #682 on: February 04, 2017, 03:40:46 PM »

Posted 2/3/17 on the IWS Facebook page:

"The Sauces birds laid and lost another egg today. Looking at the history of the nest, it has failed in 5 of the 9 previous nesting attempts, with 2 different males and 3 different females. Male A-28 was present 2008-2011, and the male A-40 from 2012 to present. Female A-02 was present in 2008-2009 and failed both years. Female A-27 was present from 2010 until she was displaced by A-48 in 2013. A-27 was successful every year except 2013, when ravens took the eggs. Female A-48 was unsuccessful in 2014 and 2015, and had two chicks last year. Why the eggs are breaking so quickly with the current pair is hard to say. Unfortunately, we can't get information on potential contaminates from eggshells; only from egg contents."

Oh, such sad news.  Emyraud, thank you for posting the pics and info, though I wish it were more upbeat.  I feel like there must definitely be some environmental/contamination issue for such easy egg-breakage, and so often, even though different eagles nested here. 

There are many articles on the topic, but this one from about 3 years ago talks about the study of California Condor eggs that were tested and measured and showed at least half still were affected by DDT.  This is an excellent article that talks about how and why DDT is still affecting the birds and marine life on the Pacific U.S. coast... If you are patient enough to read the whole article, which is not long, and is easy to follow, there is reference near the end of it about a planned study, at that time, for the effect on other raptors in that area, such as eagles - not just the condors:
http://www.oregonlive.com/environment/index.ssf/2013/09/california_condor_study_finds.html
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 12:56:32 PM by baziunc »
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center

shep

• NEWS and analysis
« Reply #683 on: February 04, 2017, 03:51:47 PM »

Write the White House

Let them know DDT is being ILLEGALLY used in California
Name the area(s) - give details - anything you can find
LAW is coming

Get in touch
in tiny letters top right corner
If you dont like HIM, enter HER :)
http://www.whitehouse.gov

I DO NOT consider this a 'POLITICAL' post!
come on.  If your pissed off I will delete this
NOTHING is done if we dont ACT!

Baz thanks for that info - its a clue!
Could it be radiation?  Lots of it leaking from Japan Fukushima into Pacific.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 03:55:21 PM by shep »
ACCEPT TRUTH even when you dont like it
https://gab.com/ShepQ

Emyrauld

« Reply #684 on: February 05, 2017, 09:01:13 PM »

Not much activity at the nest today.  I will be watching tomorrow to see if a third egg is on the way.   This pair is doggedly determined.  A second clutch in a few weeks is also a very real possibility with these two.  And

Posted today by Dr. Sharpe on ISW

"We raised the camera higher at Sauces, which is why we can now see the eggs. I don't think the nest construction has anything to do with the eggs breaking (even though I said earlier that maybe they were hitting sticks). This nest has gotten thicker over the years and the center of the nest should just be grass and composted grass. Any sticks should be a foot or more down."

Emyrauld

« Reply #685 on: February 06, 2017, 04:23:44 PM »

Third egg came and broke almost right away.  No pic or video.  Too sad.

shep

• NEWS and analysis
« Reply #686 on: February 06, 2017, 04:30:48 PM »

definitely diet or environmental.
Read more on the Fukushima leaking into the Pacific
and drifting to U.S. shores.
Rule nothing out
very sad
ACCEPT TRUTH even when you dont like it
https://gab.com/ShepQ

baziunc

« Reply #687 on: February 06, 2017, 07:42:52 PM »

Thank you for posting the status, though it is very sad news that the 3rd egg also broke... Poor animals - not just these two bald eagles - so terribly affected by the pollution in their environment and/or food supply in this region.  I hope it will somehow be removed or neutralized eventually.

Emyrauld

« Reply #688 on: February 06, 2017, 10:50:21 PM »

A48 tonight.  Incubating her broken egg. :'(. At least she was for a while)  Now she is just standing in the nest bowl guarding what could have been, I guess.  I will keep tabs on this site and watch for a second clutch and likely more of the same.  After they fledged 2 last year, I thought the broken eggs were over with.  Now I am wondering how they made it all the way to hatching without breaking.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 11:05:21 PM by Emyrauld »

Emyrauld

« Reply #689 on: February 07, 2017, 07:14:51 AM »

Just after 5 am nest time and she is still there