Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Flyway Cam NFWR La Crosse  (Read 175569 times)

LisaG1967

Re: Flyway Cam NFWR La Crosse
« Reply #1335 on: October 22, 2020, 06:48:39 AM »

Still the same this morning :(
Maybe its my PC because I experience the same thing using IE.

Same here Raleigh.  I notice this message on the video this morning on explore.org, We are investigating issues with the live cams loading. If you are experiencing issues, you can still view the streams directly on YouTube.

I am watching the Decorah Eagles there, and if you type in Mississippi Flyway you can find the live video there too.   :)

Raleigheagle

« Reply #1336 on: October 22, 2020, 09:32:13 AM »

Thank you Lisa.....I was getting ready to go postal on this computer. You saved its life.

STLbf

« Reply #1337 on: October 22, 2020, 10:29:05 AM »

At 10 AM today, I didn't have trouble accessing the cams via RRP.
Rainy and cold at the Flyway. No pics, although there are plenty of eagles waiting for excitement and food delivery.

LisaG1967

« Reply #1338 on: October 22, 2020, 10:40:08 AM »

Thank you Lisa.....I was getting ready to go postal on this computer. You saved its life.

;D ;D

STLbf

« Reply #1339 on: October 24, 2020, 05:12:19 PM »

Sandhill cranes feeding in the late afternoon chill.

[attachment deleted by admin]

clarindagirl

« Reply #1340 on: October 25, 2020, 10:41:52 AM »

October 25, 2020, 10:30am --  Migratory Bird Motel and Breakfast Bar  -- Flyway

« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 10:54:12 AM by clarindagirl »

STLbf

« Reply #1341 on: October 25, 2020, 11:22:37 AM »

Clarinda, thanks for the gadwall pic. New for my duck ID list.

Great cam ops closeups of a young BE about 9:30 AM. From the intermediate beak and eye colors, I'm guessing about 2.5 years old. No way to tell male or female, so one pic is handsome and the other beautiful.   ;D

MNLindaBird

« Reply #1342 on: October 25, 2020, 11:53:04 AM »

Hi to All  :)  Haven't tried posting message with photo for a long time.  Saw this raptor this morning at Flyway.  Would love thoughts on what it could be, beyond a falcon of some (I have mine, but seems unlikely)????  Hope this works  :)

STLbf

« Reply #1343 on: October 25, 2020, 01:42:53 PM »

Hey MNL, nice pic. I think it's a juvenile peregrine falcon. They have a nest nearby so are in the area, and we have seen one earlier this fall.

Now it's flurrying at the Flyway. Ick, but it's that time of year.

MNLindaBird

« Reply #1344 on: October 27, 2020, 04:36:38 PM »

Thanks for the input STLbf.  Have never seen a juvenile peregrine falcon, so it's nice to know what they can look like :)

STLbf

« Reply #1345 on: October 27, 2020, 04:49:53 PM »

You're welcome, MNL. I rely on AllAboutBirds.org for online bird IDs and info. Usually helpful photos there of juveniles and adults in breeding and nonbreeding plumage. And migration ranges.

I'm hoping for closeups of the swans soon. The big groups at the Flyway now are probably tundra swans, but several trumpeter swans were there the week before. Both are huge and all white with black legs & mostly black bills. It's the "mostly" that is key to identification, and for that we need closeups.  I don't know if they travel together.

Bald eagles are usually there, in all their fine plumage at different ages.   ;D

FinnBMD

« Reply #1346 on: October 28, 2020, 03:39:52 PM »

Here's the latest from Upper Mississippi River Fish & Wild Refuge folks on tundra swans in the area around Onalaska/La Crosse:  on October 26th there were around 3,000 Tundra swans at the Brownsville (MN) Overlook. Some are closer to the Overlook just loafing around but most are further out feeding in open water.  They typically spend around a month in the Upper MR region feeding on arrowroot tubers. 

The Brownsville Overlook is about 30 minutes south of the Onalaska/La Crosse area on the MN side of the River.  You can also drive down from La Crosse on Route 35 (about 20 minutes south) to Stoddard WI which is across the River from Brownsville and pull into the overlook spot there for a good viewing spot.  There are telescopes in both overlooks.  [It is better to try to catch the swans during the week because the weekends at both locations can be crazy crowded with little parking available.]
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 03:41:37 PM by FinnBMD »

STLbf

« Reply #1347 on: October 28, 2020, 04:03:10 PM »

Hey Finn, thanks for the information about swan-watching sites near La Crosse. Wish I lived close enough to take advantage.   In past years, I've seen hundreds of snow geese and various swans at Riverlands, one of the wetland areas near the confluence of the Mississippi River and the Missouri River. Sometimes we get lots of bald eagles wintering here, too.

STLbf

« Reply #1348 on: October 29, 2020, 12:29:53 PM »

Couple nice flight views this morning around 8AM. Better on video rewind.

FinnBMD

« Reply #1349 on: October 31, 2020, 03:49:32 PM »

The night sky at the flyway will be illuminated by a blue moon tonight (a blue moon = the second full moon in a month). According to the La Crosse paper: "Every month has a full moon, but because the lunar cycle and the calendar year aren't perfectly synched, about every three years we wind up with two in the same calendar month."  Also the Farmer's Almanac says that it's also the first time a Halloween full moon has appeared for all time zones since 1944!  FYI: Moonrise tonight is 6:18.