Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Flyway Cam NFWR La Crosse  (Read 175286 times)

STLbf

Re: Flyway Cam NFWR La Crosse
« Reply #1155 on: June 10, 2020, 06:41:32 AM »

Forgot the photo!

[attachment deleted by admin]

STLbf

« Reply #1156 on: June 15, 2020, 09:13:52 AM »

Red in the morning, sailors take warning! Will there be rain today?

STLbf

« Reply #1157 on: June 21, 2020, 04:53:01 PM »

Happy Father's Day to all at the Flyway!

From about noon to 5:00, it's been all about the Great Blue Herons. Males and females look alike, but males are bigger. So, no idea which these are in the pictures. Really beautiful bird, and North America's largest heron.

STLbf

« Reply #1158 on: June 24, 2020, 11:44:39 AM »

Probable GBH courting behavior this morning, one hopping back and forth, to attract the other heron. Worth watching on rewind.  GBHs nest in late June in this area, according to Mods on Flyway chat.

STLbf

« Reply #1159 on: June 27, 2020, 08:42:14 AM »

Saturday morning, and it's sandhill crane time. Also BEs waiting for some excitement.

Nora in IA

• May 30, 2020 Great Spirit Bluff
« Reply #1160 on: June 28, 2020, 05:11:08 PM »

Did you guys see this the 25th about the subadult BE catching a huge fish and couldn't drag it in??  It finally started calling like it was asking for help and an adult came. I personally think the subadult looked bigger like a female and the adult like a male. I don't know what kind of fish, but the adult couldn't drag it ashore either and started eating on it part way out of the water. Anyone have an idea on what kind of fish? They called it a lunker, but that just means "something large of its kind ?used especially of a game fish." A couple glimpses I got of the head didn't look like a "cat" and it's got a back fin.  UPDATE:  It's believed to be a big carp.

VIDEO!!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCY_IXoP934&t=18s

The long dark thing from the left of the subadult past it to the right is all the fish!!

"HELP!!!"

The adult tried dragging it by the fin and among other ways and no go.

It finally ripped a hole in the top and tried grabbing it there and dragging it.  Nope.

STLbf

« Reply #1161 on: June 29, 2020, 10:04:59 AM »

Nora, thanks for the photos of the giant fish vs BEs. Not a catfish because it has scales, so probably carp. If an adult eagle male weighs 8 to 10 pounds and is mostly feathers, this fish must go 20 pounds don't you think? There's video posted at the Flyway website.

Here's a red sunrise from Sunday and two BEs waiting on their favorite log today. I call them the "usual suspects." Possibly a mated pair, but could be just pals.

STLbf

« Reply #1162 on: June 29, 2020, 04:17:52 PM »

Great blue herons are really impressive -- 4 to 5 feet tall and wingspans of 6 feet or more.  The ducks don't seem bothered; maybe they like the shade. 

Nora in IA

• May 30, 2020 Great Spirit Bluff
« Reply #1163 on: June 29, 2020, 08:57:36 PM »

Nora, thanks for the photos of the giant fish vs BEs. Not a catfish because it has scales, so probably carp. If an adult eagle male weighs 8 to 10 pounds and is mostly feathers, this fish must go 20 pounds don't you think? There's video posted at the Flyway website.

Here's a red sunrise from Sunday and two BEs waiting on their favorite log today. I call them the "usual suspects." Possibly a mated pair, but could be just pals.
And also right before my first picture ;)

STLbf

« Reply #1164 on: June 30, 2020, 07:29:21 PM »

Oooh, an osprey preening at about 2 PM on the rewind. Many other waterfowl doing their thing today.

STLbf

« Reply #1165 on: July 01, 2020, 07:32:57 AM »

Happy 1st of July.  Beautiful daybreak.  Who is good with wildflower ID?

STLbf

« Reply #1166 on: July 02, 2020, 11:21:54 AM »

Birds & bugs close up 7:00-ish this morning. R-WBBs after the insects climbing the foliage. Ducks preening. Turtles on the logs also (no pic). Busy summer day at the Flyway.

STLbf

« Reply #1167 on: July 04, 2020, 11:25:38 AM »

Happy Independence Day to friends of the Flyway.

Beautiful daybreak with heat and humidity.

Bald Eagles waiting for the parade.

izzysamlikeseagles

• ChatMods
« Reply #1168 on: July 07, 2020, 01:00:03 PM »

Hiya everybody! :)

If you are donating auction items, please send me an email to [email protected]. Please be sure to include the following:

chat name
real name
contact information(email address, phone#, mailing address)
brief description of item(including approximate value-anything decorah eagle or RRP related will be listed as priceless)
a picture or two of the item(s)(small if possible)

Thank you all in advance, I think it is going to be a great auction this year!

Best,

Izzy
ring the bells that still can ring, forget your perfect offering.  There is a crack in everything-that's how the light gets in

izzysamlikeseagles

• ChatMods
« Reply #1169 on: July 07, 2020, 01:02:06 PM »

Did you guys see this the 25th about the subadult BE catching a huge fish and couldn't drag it in??  It finally started calling like it was asking for help and an adult came. I personally think the subadult looked bigger like a female and the adult like a male. I don't know what kind of fish, but the adult couldn't drag it ashore either and started eating on it part way out of the water. Anyone have an idea on what kind of fish? They called it a lunker, but that just means "something large of its kind ?used especially of a game fish." A couple glimpses I got of the head didn't look like a "cat" and it's got a back fin.  UPDATE:  It's believed to be a big carp.

VIDEO!!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCY_IXoP934&t=18s

The long dark thing from the left of the subadult past it to the right is all the fish!!

"HELP!!!"

The adult tried dragging it by the fin and among other ways and no go.

It finally ripped a hole in the top and tried grabbing it there and dragging it.  Nope.

Great pix Nora!  The fish was a redhorse sucker, according to John, and my angler husband, lol:)  That was truly amazing!

~Izzy
ring the bells that still can ring, forget your perfect offering.  There is a crack in everything-that's how the light gets in