Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Flyway Cam NFWR La Crosse  (Read 175247 times)

LORIDAVIS

• Peace Love Unity & Respect
    • Facebook
Re: Flyway Cam NFWR La Crosse
« Reply #1005 on: November 16, 2019, 09:49:48 AM »

Flyway this morning  8)  Keep lookin' for those bracelets!

« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 09:52:32 AM by LORIDAVIS »
Lori Davis
AcuraRacerGirl

BrokenLug

« Reply #1006 on: November 16, 2019, 09:41:58 PM »

When the camera looks toward the Minnesota side the main channel is blocked by land and trees.  You can't see barges (or even tug searchlights) when they pass, which you should be able to do on Sommers Chute.  But it's too confusing.  When the cliff cam comes back online, I think it will all make more sense, but I am in awe of your resourcing.  But as we know, water levels and shifting sand and grasses makes for confusiion out there.
And then there's the fact the the river's main channel runs from WNW to ESE   :o

Swooping back some pages ago and after further review ....  ;)

https://www.raptorresource.org/forum/index.php?topic=2581.msg647510#msg647510
https://www.raptorresource.org/forum/index.php?topic=2581.msg647770#msg647770
https://www.raptorresource.org/forum/index.php?topic=2581.msg647774#msg647774

I think you're pretty darn close if not dead spot on on the MRFC coords eburgbirdwtchr.  8)

I'm so sorry Camera watchers for this thread hijack once again.  :-[

This old school 'map hound' just can't let a 'gotta know' map location lie.  ;D

Eburg, I don't know the exact height of the camera above Mississippi Riv mean water level.

If this is the cam's location ..
I don't believe the main Mississippi River channel (& barges or their lights) would be visible from the Cam due to the trees, islands and brush to the west.

Sommers Chute, sand bars of, and Lake Onalaska = Great wildlife viewing bar none.

Great work once again RRP.  :)

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 10:13:48 PM by BrokenLug »
U. S. A.

TPABay111

« Reply #1007 on: November 16, 2019, 10:23:28 PM »

This old school 'map hound' just can't let a 'gotta know' map location lie.  ;D

Eburg, I don't know the exact height of the camera above Mississippi Riv mean water level.

If this is the cam's location ..
I don't believe the main Mississippi River channel (& barges or their lights) would be visible from the Cam due to the trees, islands and brush to the west.

Sommers Chute, sand bars of, and Lake Onalaska = Great wildlife viewing bar none.

Great work once again RRP.  :)

eburg & BL - thank you for all your research & incredible map images that you share - it's a fascinating learning experience & so appreciate your generosity & knowledge.

FinnBMD

« Reply #1008 on: November 17, 2019, 07:37:19 AM »

Remarkable shots BL!
When the camera looks toward the Minnesota side the main channel is blocked by land and trees.  You can't see barges (or even tug searchlights) when they pass, which you should be able to do on Sommers Chute.  But it's too confusing.  When the cliff cam comes back online, I think it will all make more sense, but I am in awe of your resourcing.  But as we know, water levels and shifting sand and grasses makes for confusiion out there.
And then there's the fact the the river's main channel runs from WNW to ESE   :o

You all have done great work in pinpointing the camera by methods that are way beyond my understanding.  Here is a quote from the Brice Prairie Conservation Association [which is involved in preserving Lake Onalaska and the Black River bottoms] which may be relevant to the discussion of camera location but if it isn't relevant, I'm sorry for muddying the waters:  http://www.briceprairieconservation.org/

BPCA Helps Setup Webcam on Sommers Chute

BPCA members assisted the Raptor Resource Center in establishing a live webcam out on Sommers Chute in Lake Onalaska. Two 20-foot telephone poles were transported out to the Sommers Chute delta, base holes were excavated, poles raised, and bases filled with concrete to anchor the poles. BPCA's pole-raising expert Joe Kawatski supervised the operations. The webcam will offer great wildlife viewing of the biologically important sandbars on the Sommer's Chute delta.

eburgbirdwtchr

• Hatchery nest visitor since 2007
« Reply #1009 on: November 17, 2019, 10:46:49 AM »

Thanks Finn.  And BL's latest location maps are spot on.  Sommers Chute is the puzzle for me now, and I'm looking forward to the return of the GSB cliff cam to get a better understanding.  Can't get my head around the big opening of Sommers Chute onto the main channel, since I don't remember it being visible from the cliff cam.  And that swerve on the main channel around that hunk of land doesn't exist in my memory.  I think that sandbar has been removed or something.
Use the talents you possess: for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except the best.
Iowa Lakes Region, western North Central Iowa

FinnBMD

« Reply #1010 on: November 17, 2019, 11:20:17 AM »

Thanks Finn.  And BL's latest location maps are spot on.  Sommers Chute is the puzzle for me now, and I'm looking forward to the return of the GSB cliff cam to get a better understanding.  Can't get my head around the big opening of Sommers Chute onto the main channel, since I don't remember it being visible from the cliff cam.  And that swerve on the main channel around that hunk of land doesn't exist in my memory.  I think that sandbar has been removed or something.

eburg  I think that the Army Corps of Engineers has the responsibility to maintain the channel so that sedimentation or debris accumulation don't become excessive.  Could it be possible that they've been busy with their dredging equipment clearing out the sandbar?  I often seen their dredgers (or whatever they're called) moving up and down this stretch of the River. 

LORIDAVIS

• Facebook
« Reply #1011 on: November 17, 2019, 12:26:29 PM »

True beauty... lookin' for bracelets  8)

« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 07:27:18 AM by LORIDAVIS »
Lori Davis
AcuraRacerGirl

eburgbirdwtchr

• Hatchery nest visitor since 2007
« Reply #1012 on: November 17, 2019, 01:19:46 PM »

Finn--you may be right.  Talked to a member of the crew.  They put the "dredgings" on the islands.  Seems like it would all erode back into the channel during high water, but what do I know.  :)
Use the talents you possess: for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except the best.
Iowa Lakes Region, western North Central Iowa

LORIDAVIS

• Facebook
« Reply #1013 on: November 18, 2019, 07:31:38 AM »

True beauty... lookin' for bracelets  8)

Have video now to go with it...
Mississippi River Flyway Cam, Closeup Of Juvenile Bald Eagle 11/17/19
https://youtu.be/0sIagZNkBb4 via eaglewhisperer18
Sunday 1225pm CT. Nice closeup cam op :)
Lori Davis
AcuraRacerGirl

LORIDAVIS

• Facebook
« Reply #1014 on: November 18, 2019, 11:14:41 AM »

8)Beautiful!!!

Lori Davis
AcuraRacerGirl

LORIDAVIS

• Facebook
« Reply #1015 on: November 22, 2019, 11:59:09 AM »

Flyway chat is open right now!!!  MWF 11a-2p  Camera is charged up, come join us!

https://www.raptorresource.org/birdcams/upper-mississippi-onalaska-cam/
Lori Davis
AcuraRacerGirl

LORIDAVIS

• Facebook
« Reply #1016 on: November 25, 2019, 11:56:06 AM »

True Beauty!!!❤️

Lori Davis
AcuraRacerGirl

LORIDAVIS

• Facebook
« Reply #1017 on: November 29, 2019, 10:49:25 AM »

Flyway highlights  8)

Lori Davis
AcuraRacerGirl

smileawhile

• ChatMods
« Reply #1018 on: December 01, 2019, 02:51:12 PM »

Hello Flyway Friends,
We covered a variety of topics on Friday as we watched Highlights. I thought I'd post some book titles and links that came up during chat.
In discussing raptor behavior, Pale Male, the famous resident hawk of NYC, was mentioned.  Izzy is reading:
     Pale Male & Family by Steven Kennedy
     Red-Tails in Love by Marie Winn details the saga - recommended by smile
     Pale Male: Citizen Hawk of NYC by Janet Schulman - a children's book  beautifully illustrated
     Pale Male - movie/DVD recommended by SmokeyinHarlem
In a Highlight loop, coyotes scampering on the ice led to describing physical/behavior characteristics of coyotes vs wolves.
     American Wolf by Nate Blakeslee - highly recommended by Smokey
     The Ninemile Wolves by Rick Bass
     Coyote America by Dan Flores
Then Highlights looped to Sandhill cranes and their feeding habits.  Izzy posted a great video of cranes washing off turtle eggs before eating them:
     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaQQKZoTVJU
and from there we wondered about the endangered whooping crane.  Here is a link to a whooping crane migration map (right through our flyway!):
     https://whoopingcrane.com/contact/
with lots of additional information from the Whooping Crane Conservation Assoc.
This gives you a taste of some of the topics we cover in flyway chat.  Please feel free to add some of your favorite pertinent books to the reading list!
Happy exploring!

LORIDAVIS

• Facebook
« Reply #1019 on: December 02, 2019, 04:36:26 PM »

Goodnight Eagles... tonight's sunsets.  8)

Decorah

Decorah North

Flyway cam
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 04:53:52 PM by LORIDAVIS »
Lori Davis
AcuraRacerGirl