Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Flyway Cam NFWR La Crosse  (Read 178560 times)

TPABay111

Re: Flyway Cam NFWR La Crosse
« Reply #975 on: November 07, 2019, 11:12:56 AM »

It was wonderful watching the juvie & the snowboard/ski stick on the Flyway!

On the RRP FB page under comments about that video someone asked if eagles ever skate.  I can't post on FB, but there were 2 videos (that I had saved) of eagle skating on the Flyway last winter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzQcqRFqWlM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cgi-ZsbdUNg

eburgbirdwtchr

• Hatchery nest visitor since 2007
« Reply #976 on: November 07, 2019, 11:29:07 AM »

TPA--They're skating today too.  And apparently the cold and snow took a toll on life on the flyway and the eagles are bullying each other over the carcasses.  Great fun!! :D
Use the talents you possess: for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except the best.
Iowa Lakes Region, western North Central Iowa

LORIDAVIS

• Peace Love Unity & Respect
    • Facebook
« Reply #977 on: November 07, 2019, 12:00:45 PM »

Thanks for the heads up Eburg!! 

Weeeeeee!!!
Lori Davis
AcuraRacerGirl

NWargo01

« Reply #978 on: November 07, 2019, 01:07:36 PM »

Mississippi River Flyway It all started with One Big fish - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O940H_ABfvw   ;D

Thanks for passing on that video link T40!  I never saw that many eagles play "Who's got the fish?" before!  At the beginning I thought, that fish was big enough to feed several of them, but by the time the rest converged on the area, not so much!  :o
My spirit will never be broken or caught, for the soul is a free flying thing, like an eagle that needs neither comfort or thought to rise up on glorious wings.

NWargo01

« Reply #979 on: November 07, 2019, 01:16:25 PM »

From RRP's FB page: (so cute!)

Raptor Resource Project
2 hrs

*Snow Day!*
What kid doesn't like to pick up whatever it can find for impromptu sledding? A juvie on the Mississippi Flyway plays with a long stick and positions it perfectly for skidding, sledding or snowboarding and has a blast while capturing the attention of some others who want to join the fun. This looks like it could be a new E-lympiad Sport judging by the skills of this youngster!

Thanks to Eaglewhisperer18 for the fun video
https://youtu.be/E2YAKcwIubw
Watch RRP's Mississippi River Flyway Cam at raptorresource.org/birdcams/upper-mississippi-onalaska-cam/

LOL!  Like that E-lympiad T40!  The adult was looking at them like "Silly juvies" before taking off.  ;D
My spirit will never be broken or caught, for the soul is a free flying thing, like an eagle that needs neither comfort or thought to rise up on glorious wings.

NWargo01

« Reply #980 on: November 07, 2019, 01:18:21 PM »

Thanks for the heads up Eburg!! 

Weeeeeee!!!

Love that Lori!  I'll be checking into the Beak Room to see how you're doing today.  :)

LORIDAVIS

• Peace Love Unity & Respect
    • Facebook
« Reply #981 on: November 08, 2019, 07:43:30 AM »

3 beautiful scenes this morning!
Flyway

Decorah

DNN
photos via explore.org
Lori Davis
AcuraRacerGirl

FinnBMD

« Reply #982 on: November 08, 2019, 10:08:51 AM »

Lori:  Thank you for these gorgeous shots! Every morning and evening I watch and think the skies can't get more beautiful but the next day, I'm surprised again. 

FinnBMD

« Reply #983 on: November 10, 2019, 09:41:10 AM »

Since swans have started showing up at the Flyway, there have been questions about telling the difference between tundra and trumpeter swans.  This information from the Kellogg Bird Sanctuary in Michigan may be helpful:  https://msu.edu/~chenange/KBS/matching.html

STLbf

« Reply #984 on: November 10, 2019, 03:38:01 PM »

Finn, thanks for the link about swan identification. Do you know if the juvenile tundra swans we are seeing (grayish) are hanging around with a parent, or are they independent by now?

FinnBMD

« Reply #985 on: November 10, 2019, 04:05:22 PM »

Finn, thanks for the link about swan identification. Do you know if the juvenile tundra swans we are seeing (grayish) are hanging around with a parent, or are they independent by now?

They stay with their parents through the migration trip south and usually separate from them some time after the family arrives back at their breeding ground the following spring.   At that point, the parents will chase them off prior to the start of their nesting activities.  Then they will hang out with large groups of other young swans, unattached adults and adult pairs who haven't had luck with the breeding process.

STLbf

« Reply #986 on: November 11, 2019, 03:52:19 PM »

Finn, more interesting info. Thanks a lot.    ;)

T40cfr403

« Reply #987 on: November 11, 2019, 06:42:18 PM »

From RRP's FB page:

Mississippi Flyway

11/11/19: Young Eagle having fun with the stick - https://youtu.be/hJVFcxA0cQo. Young eaglets don't need expensive toys when a long stick will do! This short but cool video shows us two young eagles playing with the stick. Note the wind - it was really blowing today!

11/10/19: A morning with a Tundra Swan - https://youtu.be/cFNWvRkE9J0. Just what the video says! Look for a really interaction between two pairs of swans at 2:35. Their displays are directed toward the mate or other family member, but are elicited by an agonistic interaction with the non-family member and performed within visual and auditory range of the opponent. This is exactly what we are seeing here! We have wing-flapping, a physical interaction, and a submissive posture after one swan's mate or family member is driven away. You can also see Mallard ducks and Canada geese. Look for a wonderful flyaway at the end of the video!

Tundra swans display on the Flyway!
Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of the world.
― Rachel Carson, Silent Spring

T40cfr403

« Reply #988 on: November 12, 2019, 12:13:46 AM »

:o

[attachment deleted by admin]
Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of the world.
― Rachel Carson, Silent Spring

FinnBMD

« Reply #989 on: November 12, 2019, 06:22:34 AM »

It is the November full moon called the "Beaver" or "Frost" Moon.  Full phase this morning at 7:43.  Google says "The beaver moon is the first full moon in the month of November. The time of the Beaver Moon was the time for both the colonists and the Algonquin tribes to set beaver traps to ensure a supply of warm winter furs. This full moon is also known as the Frost Moon because it's about the time of the first frosts."

One of the mods at the Flyway Cam thought she saw a beaver swimming past some resting swans the other day, so I guess they are starting to get ready for winter.