Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Flyway Cam NFWR La Crosse  (Read 173171 times)

NWargo01

Re: Flyway Cam NFWR La Crosse
« Reply #825 on: September 17, 2019, 01:35:24 PM »

Thanks, Lisa!  See, you shouldn't have encouraged me! LOL

[attachment deleted by admin]
My spirit will never be broken or caught, for the soul is a free flying thing, like an eagle that needs neither comfort or thought to rise up on glorious wings.

LisaG1967

« Reply #826 on: September 17, 2019, 01:45:11 PM »

Thanks, Lisa!  See, you shouldn't have encouraged me! LOL

LOL, Love that last pic!

buzbee

« Reply #827 on: September 17, 2019, 04:33:34 PM »

Sure is busy there today! A little after 4 those pelicans were sure having fun bathing!!   ;D  Just love this cam.  :)

LORIDAVIS

• Peace Love Unity & Respect
    • Facebook
« Reply #828 on: September 18, 2019, 09:38:58 AM »

Flyway a couple minutes ago!  Weeeeeee!!!
Lori Davis
AcuraRacerGirl

EagleAngels

« Reply #829 on: September 18, 2019, 10:31:21 AM »

Nice span of the ages.

NWargo01

« Reply #830 on: September 18, 2019, 11:01:11 AM »

Nice span of the ages.

Like that EA!  That's what I really like about the Flyway.  Because the birds are in migratory mode and not in nesting mode, they are all so social.  Yesterday I took a ss of a juvie sitting in the middle of a big group of Canadian geese.  My focus a good part of the year is on the Decorah nest, so I'm just tickled being able to see all these different species cohabitating and enjoying themselves.
My spirit will never be broken or caught, for the soul is a free flying thing, like an eagle that needs neither comfort or thought to rise up on glorious wings.

LisaG1967

« Reply #831 on: September 18, 2019, 02:25:18 PM »

Caught this beauty on the cam earlier

NWargo01

« Reply #832 on: September 18, 2019, 02:36:06 PM »

Caught this beauty on the cam earlier

Beautiful Lisa!  Hope he or she matures to a strong, magnificent adult!   :)

NWargo01

« Reply #833 on: September 18, 2019, 02:40:14 PM »

Flyway a couple minutes ago!  Weeeeeee!!!

I've noticed the juveniles seem very playful on the Flyway!  They must be in heaven, having all those other eagles and a never-ending food supply around them.

STLbf

« Reply #834 on: September 18, 2019, 04:30:19 PM »

Such fun to watch eagles of all ages interacting in a peaceful manner (mostly).

Around noon today, sandhill cranes were hopping around, almost like the eagles try out their wings before fledging. I wonder if it was juvie sandhills getting ready for migration, or adults beginning mating dances, or just the joy of a windy day. The photo may be pretty blurry, so rewind to watch if you can. 

FinnBMD

« Reply #835 on: September 18, 2019, 09:16:36 PM »

Such fun to watch eagles of all ages interacting in a peaceful manner (mostly).

Around noon today, sandhill cranes were hopping around, almost like the eagles try out their wings before fledging. I wonder if it was juvie sandhills getting ready for migration, or adults beginning mating dances, or just the joy of a windy day. The photo may be pretty blurry, so rewind to watch if you can.

Paul Johnsgard has a wonderful book Crane Music that studies different kinds of cranes.  In the section on sandhills, he writes about their dancing.  He says that episodes of dancing can occur while courtship and nesting (in the spring) are occurring or "almost anytime" e.g. while they are foraging for food or resting.  He describes their dancing as consisting of "bows, jumps, vegetation tossing, and wing-flapping activities not limited by sex or age."  Sometimes dancing is triggered by a sudden stimulus which frightens them but other time there isn't any such stimulus and it occurs spontaneously.  Johnsgard says that the dancing spreads quickly through a small flock of sandhills and ends just as quickly as it begins. 
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 06:22:20 AM by FinnBMD »

STLbf

« Reply #836 on: September 19, 2019, 11:17:50 AM »

Thanks for the book recommendation, Finn. I love this opportunity to learn more about so many bird species. I've taken to watching the Flyway all year. Wintertime with many BEs on the ice is very entertaining, see photo attached.

T40cfr403

« Reply #837 on: September 19, 2019, 11:58:13 AM »

It's an eagle-palooza today! So much fun. :) :)
Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of the world.
― Rachel Carson, Silent Spring

LisaG1967

« Reply #838 on: September 19, 2019, 12:46:01 PM »

Great screen capture, STLbf!

eaglesrock29

• ChatMods
  • Hope is the thing with feathers ... Dickinson
« Reply #839 on: September 19, 2019, 04:42:28 PM »

Thank you to everyone for the captures and information.  I love this cam so much.

Finn, thank you for that interesting info about the Crane dancing.  Brought to mind a Flash Mob Dance by Birds -- gave me a big chuckle while learning.  Doesn't get much better than that.  :)
"When a storm is coming, all other birds seek shelter. The eagle alone avoids the storm by flying above it. So, in the storms of life may your heart be like an eagle's and soar above." - Anonymous