Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Flyway Cam NFWR La Crosse  (Read 174748 times)

clarindagirl

Re: Flyway Cam NFWR La Crosse
« Reply #765 on: September 07, 2019, 06:57:08 PM »

Red-winged Blackbird -  female

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 07:00:22 PM by clarindagirl »

WendyC3

« Reply #766 on: September 08, 2019, 05:27:07 PM »

My first time seeing Coots on the cam!

WendyC3

« Reply #767 on: September 08, 2019, 06:08:53 PM »

Wish I had video skills for capturing, as these snaps are not the best. 8+ hours ago - late morning EST, there was an entertaining show lasting about 10 minutes between some eagles and one persistent pelican.  The pelican on the left kept inching closer to the eagle feeding on a fish - tried to snatch it several times.  The blurry flurry of wings in the last capture is the pelican trying the front approach. During the period of time the cam was on this group, more pelicans and eagles filled the screen cheering on their favorite.

PeepSpy

« Reply #768 on: September 08, 2019, 06:15:32 PM »

Samantha Eye has a video and posted on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1170777257431879680

WendyC3

« Reply #769 on: September 08, 2019, 06:24:30 PM »

Thanks for the video link, PeepSpy!  So glad someone posted it. I found the action to be very entertaining!

PeepSpy

« Reply #770 on: September 08, 2019, 06:34:39 PM »

Thanks for the video link, PeepSpy!  So glad someone posted it. I found the action to be very entertaining!
If you have a Twitter account, follow Samantha - she posts a lot of videos.  ;) :)

clarindagirl

« Reply #771 on: September 09, 2019, 08:14:14 AM »

Thanks  to both of you for the pelican and eagle shots.  First, it was just so entertaining to watch.  Second, I love when they are close together to see the size comparisons.

Also enjoyed the camera time with the Coots and those snips.  The overcast sky helped to see the red eyes, red above white bill and those wonderful zebra feet under the water.

NWargo01

« Reply #772 on: September 09, 2019, 09:43:23 AM »

Are you sure that's a red-winged black bird?  I live in central Indiana and ours are completely black except for the orange stripe on the male's wings, and the pale yellow stripe on the female's wings.  These birds looked more like something in the sparrow family, but I'm not familiar with the birds in that area.
My spirit will never be broken or caught, for the soul is a free flying thing, like an eagle that needs neither comfort or thought to rise up on glorious wings.

clarindagirl

« Reply #773 on: September 09, 2019, 10:46:57 AM »

Are you sure that's a red-winged black bird?  I live in central Indiana and ours are completely black except for the orange stripe on the male's wings, and the pale yellow stripe on the female's wings.  These birds looked more like something in the sparrow family, but I'm not familiar with the birds in that area.

I'm never absolutely sure about any of my ids, the tail looks right and yellow spot on wing made me think it was female, possibly juvenile?  Howver, small brown stripey birds abound. LOL

NWargo01

« Reply #774 on: September 09, 2019, 11:20:26 AM »

I'm never absolutely sure about any of my ids, the tail looks right and yellow spot on wing made me think it was female, possibly juvenile?  Howver, small brown stripey birds abound. LOL

Well, you learn something new everyday, right?  I just googled 'red-winged blackbird' and found the attached pics.  The black one with red on its wings is the type I see out by my bird feeder frequently.  But the other pic shows an adult feeding a young one (chick?), and the youngster looks more like your pics.  So I believe you were correct in saying the two you saw might have been juvies!  Thanks for sharing, Clarinda.

My spirit will never be broken or caught, for the soul is a free flying thing, like an eagle that needs neither comfort or thought to rise up on glorious wings.

clarindagirl

« Reply #775 on: September 09, 2019, 11:42:42 AM »

Well, you learn something new everyday, right?  I just googled 'red-winged blackbird' and found the attached pics.  The black one with red on its wings is the type I see out by my bird feeder frequently.  But the other pic shows an adult feeding a young one (chick?), and the youngster looks more like your pics.  So I believe you were correct in saying the two you saw might have been juvies!  Thanks for sharing, Clarinda.

Thanks for sharing.

EagleAngels

« Reply #776 on: September 09, 2019, 12:38:52 PM »

Nice stick tug-o-war

LisaG1967

« Reply #777 on: September 09, 2019, 12:50:34 PM »

NWargo01

« Reply #778 on: September 09, 2019, 12:55:12 PM »

Samantha Eye has a video and posted on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1170777257431879680

Finally got a chance to watch both - very interesting!  Especially when the pelican starts chasing the juvie!  Thanks for sharing PeepSpy!

NWargo01

« Reply #779 on: September 10, 2019, 11:18:12 AM »

It's always interesting to see the various species together - love this cam (and operators)!  :-*