Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Flyway Cam NFWR La Crosse  (Read 152273 times)

FinnBMD

Re: Flyway Cam NFWR La Crosse
« Reply #630 on: August 27, 2019, 09:18:15 AM »

For those of you who are interested in the Golden Eagle presence in this area, the place to go for news and studies of their population is the National Eagle Center in Wabasha, MN (which is a an hour or so north of Lake Onalaska on the MR). They have been conducting a yearly survey of the GE population in January as part The Golden Eagle Project which tracks golden eagles using GPS satellite transmitters to find out more about their migration patterns and possible breeding origin. Here is their web link about the survey:  https://www.nationaleaglecenter.org/golden-eagle-project/golden-eagles-in-minnesota/  They also sponsor a great bus tours of known GE viewing locations in November and February:  https://www.nationaleaglecenter.org/golden-eagle-project/golden-eagle-field-trips/

NWargo01

« Reply #631 on: August 27, 2019, 09:35:59 AM »

For those of you who are interested in the Golden Eagle presence in this area, the place to go for news and studies of their population is the National Eagle Center in Wabasha, MN (which is a an hour or so north of Lake Onalaska on the MR). They have been conducting a yearly survey of the GE population in January as part The Golden Eagle Project which tracks golden eagles using GPS satellite transmitters to find out more about their migration patterns and possible breeding origin. Here is their web link about the survey:  https://www.nationaleaglecenter.org/golden-eagle-project/golden-eagles-in-minnesota/  They also sponsor a great bus tours of known GE viewing locations in November and February:  https://www.nationaleaglecenter.org/golden-eagle-project/golden-eagle-field-trips/

Thanks for this info Finn!  My first exposure to golden eagles was at Eagle Pointe Park in Dubuque while visiting a cousin.  We spent the afternoon there just watching the multitude of goldens flying right over our heads!  The attached pic was actually my desktop background that entire summer.  And I wasn't aware until then that the golden eagle is larger than the bald eagle.  Iowa has a treasure trove of unbelievable wild life!

[attachment deleted by admin]
My spirit will never be broken or caught, for the soul is a free flying thing, like an eagle that needs neither comfort or thought to rise up on glorious wings.

NWargo01

« Reply #632 on: August 27, 2019, 09:38:42 AM »

That poor little guy is still sitting in the water.  I wonder if that's so other birds won't see that he has virtually no tail feathers.  A way of protecting himself?  Or maybe just wanting to be closer to the fish! 
My spirit will never be broken or caught, for the soul is a free flying thing, like an eagle that needs neither comfort or thought to rise up on glorious wings.

monarch

« Reply #633 on: August 27, 2019, 09:59:28 AM »

That poor little guy is still sitting in the water.  I wonder if that's so other birds won't see that he has virtually no tail feathers.  A way of protecting himself?  Or maybe just wanting to be closer to the fish!

Probably a little of both. I think the juvie sitting on the dead tree close to him is the same one that pulled on his feathers yesterday and also did a couple of fly arounds him earlier today before landing and staying on the tree. I think their buddies  :)

NWargo01

« Reply #634 on: August 27, 2019, 10:05:32 AM »

Probably a little of both. I think the juvie sitting on the dead tree close to him is the same one that pulled on his feathers yesterday and also did a couple of fly arounds him earlier today before landing and staying on the tree. I think their buddies  :)

I got that impression also.  Thank goodness he's got another juvie watching out for him!  Another thought I had was maybe he stays in the water because whatever caused his tail feathers to come out also caused him some discomfort and the cool water helps.  In any case, I hope he gets the help he seems to need. 

Good call by EA a few days ago who noticed his strange behavior!

LORIDAVIS

• Peace Love Unity & Respect
    • Facebook
« Reply #635 on: August 27, 2019, 10:27:21 AM »

EA more Baywatch! lol

« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 10:29:02 AM by LORIDAVIS »
Lori Davis
AcuraRacerGirl

Pauljk

« Reply #636 on: August 27, 2019, 10:49:11 AM »

RRP has posted and update on their FB page:

"A number of you contacted us about an injured eagle seen on the Flyway cam yesterday. John spoke with the district NWFS manager at Brice Prairie last night and they have been watching and trying to capture an injured eagle in the same area. However, the eagle can still fly well enough to evade capture. We'll post more if and when we get it. Thanks so much for making sure we knew about the eagle!"

NWargo01

« Reply #637 on: August 27, 2019, 10:58:21 AM »

"A number of you contacted us about an injured eagle seen on the Flyway cam yesterday. John spoke with the district NWFS manager at Brice Prairie last night and they have been watching and trying to capture an injured eagle in the same area. However, the eagle can still fly well enough to evade capture. We'll post more if and when we get it. Thanks so much for making sure we knew about the eagle!"

Thank you for passing on that info from RRP Pauljk!  Good to know so many people are concerned and hopefully the one they are trying to capture is the same eagle.  If it's missing most (if not all) of its tail feathers, I wouldn't think it would be able to fly - unless the tail feathers are more of a rudder.  The one we're thinking is injured has stayed pretty much in the same spot for a couple of days now.

Pauljk

« Reply #638 on: August 27, 2019, 11:02:58 AM »

Thank you for passing on that info from RRP Pauljk!  Good to know so many people are concerned and hopefully the one they are trying to capture is the same eagle.  If it's missing most (if not all) of its tail feathers, I wouldn't think it would be able to fly - unless the tail feathers are more of a rudder.  The one we're thinking is injured has stayed pretty much in the same spot for a couple of days now.

I was also wondering that, but they did post a photo of one with the missing tail feathers below the update. I did see him do a short hop/flight toward the dead tree like he was reacting to something, so maybe they are out there. Either way, they do know about it and are watching.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 11:07:56 AM by Pauljk »

EagleAngels

« Reply #639 on: August 27, 2019, 11:16:26 AM »

EA more Baywatch! lol

Yay!! Greatness! Thanks, Lori! I rewound, slowed it down and watched several times. Couldn't keep the theme from "Chariots of Fire" out of my head!  ;D

jhm0699

« Reply #640 on: August 27, 2019, 11:20:07 AM »

NW - That mottled look is normal, especially for wet juveniles/sub-adults! I know there has been some talk that particular bird may be a golden and not a bald eagle juvenile. Dunno. Definitely not leucisitic.

Juvenile golden eagle.

Photographers captured an adult eagle with white spots near Bellingham, Washington, on January 6. It was described as "albino-like."

Leucisitic bald eagle (albino)

That "Golden Eagle" looks more like  Red-Tailed Hawk

jhm0699

« Reply #641 on: August 27, 2019, 11:21:15 AM »

The "Bald Eagle" looks more like a Red-Tailed Hawk to me.

NWargo01

« Reply #642 on: August 27, 2019, 11:40:20 AM »

Yes, jhm, they already realized that. It was mislabeled in the source they got it from...mentioned it a couple of pages back.

Here are a couple of pics I took to send to my relatives. I got them hooked on the Decorah cam - now I'm working on the Flyway cam!  ;)

The juvie in the 2nd pic kept moving with his 'lunch' because the seagulls were definitely interested in it!  ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]

LORIDAVIS

• Peace Love Unity & Respect
    • Facebook
« Reply #643 on: August 27, 2019, 12:19:01 PM »

photo via explore
Juvie Bald Eagle trying to help injured sibling. Mississippi River Flyway 26 August 2019.
https://youtu.be/Ww-5wQq_bZE via arlene beech
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 12:37:24 PM by LORIDAVIS »
Lori Davis
AcuraRacerGirl

NWargo01

« Reply #644 on: August 27, 2019, 12:40:42 PM »

Juvie Bald Eagle trying to help injured sibling. Mississippi River Flyway 26 August 2019.
https://youtu.be/Ww-5wQq_bZE via arlene beech

Thanks for the link, Lori.  It just breaks your heart seeing the sibling trying to lift his wings so they can continue their awesome adventure together.  I hope the FWS can catch it and determine what is wrong, or at least send it to a place like SOAR if need be.  I would just hate to see them separated though.  You can tell the sibling is sticking close to protect and watch out for the other.  They're never far from each other.  But how great is it that RRP installed these cams so that something like this could be reported?  Without it, injured birds like this one might eventually die from malnutrition or other factors.

Someone posted a comment that an adult eagle attacked the injured one yesterday?  I looked for video of it, but couldn't find anything.