Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Flyway Cam NFWR La Crosse  (Read 179740 times)

KRDerenzo

Re: Flyway Cam NFWR La Crosse
« Reply #525 on: July 23, 2019, 07:22:24 PM »

July 22 2019

[attachment deleted by admin]

KRDerenzo

« Reply #526 on: July 23, 2019, 10:30:00 PM »

July 23 2019

KRDerenzo

« Reply #527 on: July 23, 2019, 10:32:06 PM »

July 23 2019

STLbf

« Reply #528 on: July 24, 2019, 03:58:57 PM »

Wondering if the American white pelicans have juveniles among the flocks now. Some have quite a lot of grayish feathering. And do they nest near the Lake where the camera is?

American White Pelicans can nest anywhere on the Mississppi between Alma, WI (about one hour north of Lake Onalaska) down to Dubuque, IO (2-3 hours south of the Lake).   There are big nesting colonies in the Horicon Marsh in the center of the state and near Green Bay as well.  I think the breeding season in WI is late May to early/mid June and the young birds can fly at around 10 weeks of age, so there may be some juveniles among the groups shown on the cam.  According to Cornell U. information,  the young birds are white like their parents but also have "dusky colors" on their head, back and neck.  It seems to me that I've noticed them in the groups we've been watching.

Finn -- Thanks for all this information!  I'm learning so much watching the Flyway camera this year.

KRDerenzo

« Reply #529 on: July 24, 2019, 07:25:16 PM »

July 24 2019

KRDerenzo

« Reply #530 on: July 24, 2019, 07:26:44 PM »

July 24 2019

eburgbirdwtchr

• Hatchery nest visitor since 2007
« Reply #531 on: July 24, 2019, 09:52:10 PM »

Blades for wind turbines, KRD.
Use the talents you possess: for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except the best.
Iowa Lakes Region, western North Central Iowa

KRDerenzo

« Reply #532 on: July 25, 2019, 12:15:04 PM »

Blades for wind turbines, KRD.

Thank You,you see all sorts of things with these cameras.

horseylvr

« Reply #533 on: July 27, 2019, 02:51:32 PM »

So glad to know what those blades were! I saw them on the barges, too and took a pic to google it. Thank you!:D
Not crazy about wind turbines and impacts on birds. Love, love the flyway cam!

KRDerenzo

« Reply #534 on: August 03, 2019, 07:39:42 AM »

August 3 2019

7 37 am

seabeeinch

« Reply #535 on: August 03, 2019, 11:20:31 AM »

There's a gorgeous adult eagle on the Flyway Cam now (about 11:30a CDT).

KRDerenzo

« Reply #536 on: August 05, 2019, 11:54:22 AM »

August 5 2019

I think the Pretty American Avocet found it's way back home.  I have been looking every day and have not seen it.

It was nice to see it, and I hope it made it home safe.

STLbf

« Reply #537 on: August 06, 2019, 01:45:37 PM »

Short rewind from posting time found this beautiful pair of blue-winged teal.

tulsaducati

• ChatMods
  • Spread the Word: Lead-free hunting and fishing
« Reply #538 on: August 07, 2019, 02:15:03 PM »

Some beautiful views of two adult bald eagles this morning, having a little breakfast on the beach.

https://youtu.be/nxfq1GGCNRw
Please join us in our campaign to GET THE LEAD OUT. Together we can make the world a safer place for Bald Eagles and all wild life. We need you, THEY need you!
https://www.biologicaldiversity.org/campaigns/get_the_lead_out/index.html

T40cfr403

« Reply #539 on: August 08, 2019, 11:13:44 AM »

From RRP's FB page:

Raptor Resource Project
15 hrs ?

A video from Decorah and another one from the Mississippi Flyway. I love the video of Mom against the setting sun - it is spectacular - but do not miss the video of the Sandhill Cranes vocalizing together as they work out boundaries and social relationships on their staging grounds!

We're still getting questions about Mom and the sub-adult. We'll run through what we do and don't know again tomorrow. All things in Eagle Time!

Decorah Eagles

8/4/19: Mom, the moon, sunset, and subadult - https://youtu.be/uNg4z-13lW0. Goodnight, Mom. Goodnight, subadult. Good night, moon. Goodnight, eagles! Mom against the setting sun, the pale crescent of the moon, the pink and gold of the sky - I can't tell you how much I love this video.

Mississippi Flyway

8/6/19: Sandhill crane conversations - https://youtu.be/0-opGsbQAv8. Tulsa says: "Be sure to have the sound up, vocals start about 3:30 in." All of the camera footage is lovely: stalking cranes, rippling water, reflected clouds, reflected cranes - and the vocals are incredible! So what's going on? At about 3:30, the pair of Sandhill cranes we are watching begins to duet after moving towards a sandbar. After an incredible synchronized call and response, they fall silent at around 3:45. At 3:54, one of the Sandhill cranes moves quickly towards the water, followed by what is presumably its mate. The camera pulls back and we see another Sandhill crane in the background. It begins to call at 4:12, in what sounds like a duet, although we don't see another crane. It steps into the water at 4:30, followed by another crane at 4:36.

Mated Sandhill cranes and family units migrate together. As pairs gather at Lake Onalaska - a key staging ground - they need to work out boundaries, social relationships, and temporary feeding territories. Pairs of cranes are signaling relationship status and setting boundaries - "Our pair, our patch of feeding ground" - by mutually vocalizing and signaling through neck stretch displays and tall alert postures.

As you watch the Sandhill Cranes at the Flyway (https://www.raptorresource.org/birdcams/upper-mississippi-onalaska-cam/?fbclid=IwAR37xcOQdBnO4FcEGN22lK2v_ZG0kTL5WcImqVPqtAQtDG0E39io_VcpEAc), look for colts (Sandhill young). We're not seeing many colts, even though families migrate together. Since unsuccessful pairs leave breeding grounds earlier than successful pairs, we suspect that what we're seeing right now are the heralds of fall migration, stopping to rest and feed up before leaving for the Gulf Coast. #CraneCabana

Goodnight, Mom!

Sandhill cranes on the Flyway.
Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of the world.
― Rachel Carson, Silent Spring