Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Flyway Cam NFWR La Crosse  (Read 175833 times)

BrokenLug

Re: Flyway Cam NFWR La Crosse
« Reply #420 on: March 22, 2019, 08:15:58 PM »

Kudos to RRP and the entire Mississippi River Flyway Cam team for all your hard work and sharing this camera with the world.

I'm pretty sure this Mississippi River Flyway Cam was not an easy web cam to install.
I'm also sure it took a lot of logistical planning and permits just for starters.

.. the materials, transportation, man hours of labor, volunteers and probably 100 other things I can't even imagine that went into this project ..

Not to mention that work site did not look like the funnest place on earth to spend 8 days in August.  :o

Quote from: RRP
The camera project was completed with help from the Brice Prairie Conservation Association, the Upper Mississippi River National Wildlife and Fish Refuge, (power pole company) and Explore.org. Volunteers helped ferry people and supplies to and from the island, erect two donated poles, and install solar panels, a power supply, and the camera assembly and radios. From start to finish, the project took a total of eight long days.

Having the Sierra Club recognize that this camera is a great asset to the birding community is a great honor and a huge pat on the back to all involved ! 

6 Exciting Birdwatching Webcams

RRP rocks, the Big Muddy always rolls and all of her critters and us are better for having this camera ...   :)

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 03:07:22 AM by BrokenLug »
U. S. A.

T40cfr403

« Reply #421 on: March 23, 2019, 03:51:12 PM »

:-*

Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of the world.
― Rachel Carson, Silent Spring

Nora in IA

• May 30, 2020 Great Spirit Bluff
« Reply #422 on: March 23, 2019, 04:02:45 PM »

That's funny!  I just saved that one and was going to say gorgeous too!  :D  Here are a couple more though....

Ginger52

• E Central IA
« Reply #423 on: March 24, 2019, 10:30:09 PM »

Some screenshots from today

Ginger52

• E Central IA
« Reply #424 on: March 24, 2019, 10:30:49 PM »

Sunset

NWargo01

« Reply #425 on: March 25, 2019, 09:21:20 AM »

FLYWAY BEAUTIES!!!
2019-03-20 (11) by Lori Davis, on Flickr
2019-03-20 (10) by Lori Davis, on Flickr
Pairs skaters on Mississippi Flyway cam. 19 March 2019
https://youtu.be/Cgi-ZsbdUNg VIA ARLENE BEECH
Mississippi Flyway Cam 3-20-19, 10 am Adult, SA, and juvie BE's vying for position
https://youtu.be/IsQlyC7GtE8 VIA TULSA

Lori, is that top pic the blond BE you mentioned last week?  I looked for it on the flyway cam rewind and couldn't find it...
My spirit will never be broken or caught, for the soul is a free flying thing, like an eagle that needs neither comfort or thought to rise up on glorious wings.

Nora in IA

• May 30, 2020 Great Spirit Bluff
« Reply #426 on: March 25, 2019, 02:06:13 PM »

Is that a Golden with a Bald?  It looks huge!

NWargo01

« Reply #427 on: March 25, 2019, 02:13:04 PM »

Is that a Golden with a Bald?  It looks huge!

Nora, I didn't realize until recently that golden eagles are larger than bald eagles.  I always thought the BEs were bigger.
My spirit will never be broken or caught, for the soul is a free flying thing, like an eagle that needs neither comfort or thought to rise up on glorious wings.

FinnBMD

« Reply #428 on: March 26, 2019, 05:54:11 PM »

FYI cam watchers: flood stage of the MR around Onalaska/La Crosse is 12 feet. At 4:15 p.m today the stage is 12.2 feet. It will continuing rising until early next week where it may rise to 14.4 feet. It will be interesting to see how many, if any, of the man-made islands in Lake Onalaska are submerged as the water continues to rise.

eburgbirdwtchr

• Hatchery nest visitor since 2007
« Reply #429 on: March 26, 2019, 06:38:36 PM »

Thanks for the info Finn!  Enjoyed watching the de-icing of the river and all the returnees on the flyway.  Sure hope the flooding is gradual and not too high, but that's not what they're predicting.
Also hope someone picks up that barrel that lodged on the camera isle all winter and is now slowly floating downstream.
Use the talents you possess: for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except the best.
Iowa Lakes Region, western North Central Iowa

FinnBMD

« Reply #430 on: March 27, 2019, 11:50:00 AM »

Area flooding update:  the National Weather Service has changed flooding estimates.  As of this morning (Wednesday) the stage is at 12.7 feet (flood stage is 12.0 feet) They forecast that the MR will crest in this area in the 14 to 15.5 foot range between next Wednesday and Friday (April 3-5) so that is about a foot higher than they estimated yesterday.

BrokenLug

« Reply #431 on: March 28, 2019, 12:35:14 AM »

I've made a Google Map of the general locations of RRP Forum Members.

Would anyone here be interested in knowing (Generally) where everybody else is posting from ?
I'm not using anyone's exact location at all, not even close.

I can plot the centroid of any county in the USA.
Your Forum Username gets added to the "Member Locations_County Centers" list.
You can click on a Username in the list -or- on a map "Pin" to find out what general area they're located in.

If there are multiple Forum Members located on the same counties Centroid then I'm going to "fudge" them around that counties center indiscriminately so that "User" pins don't get obscured. You might have to zoom the map in to see all of that 'counties' icons.

I'm always reading member reports about weather events, wildlife sightings and so forth, but I loose track of where everyone is located in this little country of ours.   ;)

If anyone is interested in sharing their general location on the map Private Message me only your forum Username, State and County.

In Example:

BrokenLug
NJ
Bergen

Again, the Forum Member 'map pins' will be located only on (or very near) the center of your County. *

I'll be adding members to the list as I have time and depending on how many PM's I get slammed with it could take awhile to add them all.
So if you don't see your Username right away check back in a day or so and your pin should be there.  :)

Click on a Name in the Member Locations list, zoom in & pan around, there might be more RRP Forum Members in your county then you realized.   8)

This is the link to the Google "RRP Forum Members" Map, save this link:

https://tiny.cc/pt533y

-Edit to add-

There are presently 37 forum member 'yellow pins' on the Google map.  :)
* If you want to share the location of the CENTER of your COUNTY with others forum members here send me your Username, State and County via a Private Message and I'll gladly add your "Pin" to the map.

BrokenLug

This is looking crazy cool on my end RRP Eagle Nation.  8)

U. S. A.

T40cfr403

« Reply #432 on: March 31, 2019, 03:44:28 PM »

Look for sandhill cranes in Eastern Iowa

https://www.thegazette.com/subject/sports/outdoors/look-for-sandhill-cranes-in-eastern-iowa-20190330

Sandhill cranes in flight over Cone Marsh in June. The main dike, accessed east off V Ave, can be a great trail to walk for a chance at a flyover. Walk east down a short, grassy access road and you are there. (Brando Caswell/correspondent)
Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of the world.

T40cfr403

« Reply #433 on: March 31, 2019, 07:36:21 PM »

T40cfr403

« Reply #434 on: March 31, 2019, 07:38:25 PM »

???