Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Flyway Cam NFWR La Crosse  (Read 152777 times)

eburgbirdwtchr

• Hatchery nest visitor since 2007
Re: Flyway Cam NFWR La Crosse
« Reply #405 on: February 23, 2019, 02:05:29 PM »

Thanks very much, Finn.  Very useful info.  I'm soaking in as much as I can.  Back in pre-history the Mound Builders made islands in the Mississippi.  I know of one up near Winona, Minnesota that has been studied, but I don't know much else, and I'm infinitely curious.
Use the talents you possess: for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except the best.
Iowa Lakes Region, western North Central Iowa

Nora in IA

• May 30, 2020 Great Spirit Bluff
« Reply #406 on: March 17, 2019, 05:15:05 PM »

I hope I have the right thread here, it looks like it.....I'm waiting to see the ice breaking up among other things.  This was just after 5 PM today (March 17th)

FinnBMD

« Reply #407 on: March 18, 2019, 03:58:02 PM »

Bald eagles, lots of ducks, a few Canada Geese, pelicans, a quick aerial view of some tundra swans....and it isn't even officially Spring!  It was an active day today at the Flyway Cam! 

T40cfr403

« Reply #408 on: March 18, 2019, 05:13:23 PM »

Second that, Finn! Very entertaining day. :)

[attachment deleted by admin]
Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of the world.
― Rachel Carson, Silent Spring

NWargo01

« Reply #409 on: March 20, 2019, 11:54:05 AM »

Second that, Finn! Very entertaining day. :)

T40, you're on here too! Love those pics, and now that I know about this one, I'll be checking it out frequently. :)
My spirit will never be broken or caught, for the soul is a free flying thing, like an eagle that needs neither comfort or thought to rise up on glorious wings.

NWargo01

« Reply #410 on: March 20, 2019, 11:56:36 AM »

:)   8)

erock, just found this site on the forum! Beautiful pic of the sunrise - that's a keeper!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 11:59:13 AM by NWargo01 »
My spirit will never be broken or caught, for the soul is a free flying thing, like an eagle that needs neither comfort or thought to rise up on glorious wings.

LORIDAVIS

• Peace Love Unity & Respect
    • Facebook
« Reply #411 on: March 20, 2019, 05:12:22 PM »

FLYWAY BEAUTIES!!!
2019-03-20 (11) by Lori Davis, on Flickr
2019-03-20 (10) by Lori Davis, on Flickr
Pairs skaters on Mississippi Flyway cam. 19 March 2019
https://youtu.be/Cgi-ZsbdUNg VIA ARLENE BEECH
Mississippi Flyway Cam 3-20-19, 10 am Adult, SA, and juvie BE's vying for position
https://youtu.be/IsQlyC7GtE8 VIA TULSA
Lori Davis
AcuraRacerGirl

T40cfr403

« Reply #412 on: March 20, 2019, 08:37:32 PM »

Heads up on the flyway! BOLO for an antenna and/or backpack!

Raptor Resource Project
8 hrs

It looks like D27 has decided to join the eagle party on the Mississippi River! She left Decorah on March 13 and flew NNW out to the Bluffton area, not far from Bob's old farmstead and falcon breeding barns, before heading east to the Mississippi river. She is currently spending time on the Minnesota Slough just east of New Albin, Iowa. This area is rich in food resources and quite close to one of our falcon sites. We can't help but hope that we get a glimpse of her on the Flyway cam if she decides to take the Big River north for a while! Stay safe, D27! We wish you the best wherever the wind and your wings take you!

To explore the travels of all of the eagles we've tracked, visit our interactive maps at https://www.raptorresource.org/learning-tools/eagle-map/. A million thanks to Brett Mandernack and the staff of Eagle Valley for sharing their data, maps, and expertise with all of us!

Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of the world.

LORIDAVIS

• Peace Love Unity & Respect
    • Facebook
« Reply #413 on: March 20, 2019, 08:39:07 PM »

8) 8) thanks T40!
Lori Davis
AcuraRacerGirl

STLbf

« Reply #414 on: March 21, 2019, 10:20:14 AM »

Thanks for making the Flyway Cam easier to find in the forum. It's great fun to watch the migration activities. Not the best screen caps, but yesterday a whole bunch of eagles were waiting out on the ice for something to happen, and this morning a couple of Tundra Swans were ice-surfing and walking around near grasses. Lots of open water now.

FinnBMD

« Reply #415 on: March 21, 2019, 07:18:47 PM »

The Sierra Club has an article about 6 bird-watching cameras to watch and the Flyway Cam is first on the list:  https://www.sierraclub.org/sierra/6-exciting-birdwatching-webcams

glogdog

• ChatMods
  • And He will raise you up on Eagles' wings!
« Reply #416 on: March 22, 2019, 05:36:24 AM »

Just now reading this thread. Thanks, PinkEagle for opening it up.

Finn, this is really cool that the Sierra Club chose the Mississippi Flyway Cam as the first one to zone on.  An interesting selection on the rest also.  So many cams to watch, so little time. :)
glogdog

T40cfr403

« Reply #417 on: March 22, 2019, 05:10:05 PM »

T40cfr403

« Reply #418 on: March 22, 2019, 05:16:18 PM »

Oops, Finn! Sorry, but I didn't see your post. So exciting that the flyway cam appears first on their list!

FinnBMD

« Reply #419 on: March 22, 2019, 06:44:58 PM »

Oops, Finn! Sorry, but I didn't see your post. So exciting that the flyway cam appears first on their list!

It really says something about how unique a camera this is with the opportunity to watch all the different birds passing through the Lake Onalaska WI/MN area on their way up (or down in the fall) the Mississippi River Flyway. Good job RRP!