Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Flyway Cam NFWR La Crosse  (Read 175808 times)

T40cfr403

Re: Flyway Cam NFWR La Crosse
« Reply #60 on: September 20, 2018, 10:36:07 AM »

:-*

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 10:40:27 AM by T40cfr403 »
Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of the world.
― Rachel Carson, Silent Spring

eaglesrock29

• ChatMods
  • Hope is the thing with feathers ... Dickinson
« Reply #61 on: September 20, 2018, 10:58:09 AM »

Lori - RRP bands in a silvery metal, one band on the right leg. The exception was D24 and D25 - one boy was banded on the right leg and the other on the left leg so we could tell them apart! Of course I don't remember which one got the right/left band.  :P

Good question, T40!  D24's band is on his right leg. 
"When a storm is coming, all other birds seek shelter. The eagle alone avoids the storm by flying above it. So, in the storms of life may your heart be like an eagle's and soar above." - Anonymous

T40cfr403

« Reply #62 on: September 20, 2018, 11:48:40 AM »

Thanks, erock!

Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of the world.

Ginger52

• E Central IA
« Reply #63 on: September 20, 2018, 05:29:12 PM »

Earlier today when it was pouring rain the birds were for the most part facing toward the cam.  At some point they turned almost en masse to face the left -- facing into the wind??  It was cool!

Ginger52

• E Central IA
« Reply #64 on: September 20, 2018, 05:35:20 PM »

from earlier today

Ginger52

• E Central IA
« Reply #65 on: September 20, 2018, 05:36:59 PM »

I can see Russia Great Spirit Bluff from the cam.

MpMom

• D1 in all of her beauty. Love 12,14,18,4,25 & 35
« Reply #66 on: September 20, 2018, 06:45:38 PM »

;) 8)

Will remember & love you Dad Decorah.

Caution: Exposure to the Son Prevents Burning..
From a sign in Missouri.
From T40~"I was supposed to spend the rest of my life with you. And then I realized...you spent the rest of your life with me."

FinnBMD

« Reply #67 on: September 20, 2018, 07:06:06 PM »

I live near Lake Onalaska and our area is under a tornado watch until midnight.  The storms are coming down from the NW so it will be interesting to see if/when the great American pelicans land in the area and if the cranes stick around or head off while there is still a little daylight.

Ginger52

• E Central IA
« Reply #68 on: September 20, 2018, 07:14:01 PM »

Finn, do the pelicans roost on the water at night?

eaglesrock29

• ChatMods
  • Hope is the thing with feathers ... Dickinson
« Reply #69 on: September 20, 2018, 07:19:10 PM »

Please be safe, Finn.

"When a storm is coming, all other birds seek shelter. The eagle alone avoids the storm by flying above it. So, in the storms of life may your heart be like an eagle's and soar above." - Anonymous

FinnBMD

« Reply #70 on: September 20, 2018, 07:50:30 PM »

Finn, do the pelicans roost on the water at night?

Yes, they are diurnal birds (like eagles) so are active in the daytime.  When I checked the camera shortly before sunrise this morning, there were great egrets standing in the water and a couple of pelicans floating around--they took off shortly before the actual sunrise.  I'm looking at the camera now, though, and only seeing egrets (and I think a few sandhill cranes) so the pelicans may have moved down river while there were a few daylight hours. There are other spots where migrating birds rest in this area that are a few miles downriver (like Stoddard, WI and Brownsville, MN) so they might have moved south a little. 
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 08:45:46 PM by FinnBMD »

T40cfr403

« Reply #71 on: September 20, 2018, 10:33:32 PM »

Thanks for all the great info, Finn. Stay safe!

Ginger, I was half-watching when the cam panned to what looked like Columbia or Peru (Russia hahaha!). It was an awesome sight but I would have never guessed it was GSB!

And I also looked at the cam when I heard all the racket of the wind-blown rain. Astonishing to see the geese - all of them - walking straight into the wind! Must be getting positioned for a quick liftoff, if needed. ???

BrokenLug

« Reply #72 on: September 21, 2018, 12:00:00 AM »

Yep Broken, that is why I said you never know who you will see here ;D

I want to see D1 8)

Me too MP, me too.

But, she's a mature BE from excellent stock and has a nest 37.6 miles from your coordinates in a very remote wetland.    ;)  .

Hence no one has laid binoculars on her bling or bracelet .. as of yet ..  :)  ;)

Personally & seriously. I would not rule out seeing D24 or D27 with a Silver band on the right "leg" and wearing a transmitter on this new camera.

If a sharp eyed dutiful cam watcher does catch a verifiable cam shot of 24 or 27 then this life long fan of wildlife is seeing a full circle use of "modern technology".   8)

Fall has just now fallen this eve as some bitch named Florence mucked about with the fair weather from Canada. 

Now our crackling fire begins.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 02:55:25 AM by BrokenLug »
U. S. A.

MpMom

• D1 in all of her beauty. Love 12,14,18,4,25 & 35
« Reply #73 on: September 21, 2018, 08:56:02 AM »

Wow Broken, you were up late or early :o
I agree & hope when people are on they snip all eagles. Never know if we will see bands or backpacks. This is a very cool cam!
We've gone from the 90's, to 60's & now is 54 in a short time. Tornado warnings last night here & so much rain in the past 3 days. I'm about 3 hrs straight up the Mississippi from the cam. It is fall ;)

« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 03:17:28 PM by MpMom »
Will remember & love you Dad Decorah.

Caution: Exposure to the Son Prevents Burning..
From a sign in Missouri.
From T40~"I was supposed to spend the rest of my life with you. And then I realized...you spent the rest of your life with me."

T40cfr403

« Reply #74 on: September 21, 2018, 07:38:09 PM »

This appears to be a "Livecam Highlight." Live feed seems to have gone down with the sun. ???

« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 07:39:44 PM by T40cfr403 »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 178   Go Up