Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Jewel and her cubs  (Read 603704 times)

calhound

• Eagle nest and Bear watcher since 2/23/11
Re: Jewel and her cubs
« Reply #25410 on: August 10, 2022, 04:32:07 AM »

Gentle Jack, Gentle Fred, Nice Donna, and Watching Loons Live on the Lake - UPDATE August 9, 2022

Donna eating clover
Bear Highlights with the group today were gentle Jack and gentle Fred (6-year-old son of Samantha). All they did was be themselves as we’ve come to know them. 20220809 Fred
Fred
One interesting thing Fred did while he was eating just outside a window where we were giving a presentation on black bear vocalizations and body language was respond to the bear sounds he was hearing. When he heard a screaming cub, he responded like he wanted to help as other bears have done. When he heard the sounds of battling males recorded during mating season, he perked up sharply.

Beaked Hazelnut w/worm hole
Beaked Hazelnut w/worm hole
22-year-old Donna let us watch what she was eating—clover—which might explain why in this time of berries we found a scat that was all vegetation. Not everything is explainable. Donna spotted a hazelnut that she rose up and sniffed but rejected. The photo of it shows a likely worm hole. If we are in an outbreak of hazel worms, along with the fact that there are three undeveloped hazelnuts in the cluster, this might be a reason we are now seeing more bears in the last few days.

On the pontoon boat ride we wanted to see (1) the young eagle that is nearly full-sized but still on a branch of the nest tree, (2) the den where Hope was born, and (3) how a loon family is doing in its isolated corner of the lake. Watching them from a distance, the parents and two chicks paid no attention to our boatload of clicking cameras. The parents foraged toward us, under us, and were more interested in catching fish and scanning the sky (for chick-eating eagles?) than in our clicking cameras. What grabbed the chicks’ attention was whichever parent had a minnow in its beak. When a parent emerged with a minnow, the nearest chick swam fast to get it.

Loon w/crayfish for chick
Loon w/crayfish for chick

Loon
Loon
Loon chick with crayfish
Loon chick with crayfish
Loons
Loons
Then, a parent emerged with something larger—a full-sized crayfish. A chick swam to check it but did not rush in to grab it. The chick looked hesitantly at it from a foot away. When the chick did take it, the chick struggled to swallow it, dropping it several times. Once, the parent that remained nearby throughout the struggle retrieved the sinking crayfish and presented it again. Eventually, the chick did get it down.

During a resting period near a parent, a chick tucked its beak into its feathers to sleep, relying on the parent for protection. The other stood up at one point and flapped its wings, showing that they were so undeveloped that we wonder if it will be ready to migrate to the Atlantic Ocean in a couple months. The chicks are growing rapidly, though, so we’ll see what happens. Everybody was excited each time a chick or parent did something that revealed something about their ways.

Thank you for all you do,
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calhound

« Reply #25411 on: August 10, 2022, 04:38:23 AM »

hi you guys its 64 here very nice out but 100 plus days back friday sat sun  :( nice update today pictures as always so good. kitchen coytees in full swing

GB Ukraine!

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/95055D4CBA8A?z=0
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

johoward

« Reply #25412 on: August 10, 2022, 08:04:00 AM »

4:23 Wow.  Quick for me.  It is because I got up early and had coffee and paid some bills to get awake instead of going biking.  Will go later.  It looks like it will stay cool a while today, and overcast too.  Great for biking.
What a great update.  I felt like I was in that room and on that pontoon boat too.  Thanks Cal.
 I think you are right about the TV chicks fledging and returning.  I would like to see them land some time. Do they come in the day or at evening?  I would also like to know something recent about the GSB Falcon chicks.  I have hope they are growing and going to be able to migrate.
Hi to Neva.  Weather reports are concerning for the Southwest due to storms.  I like to safely watch the storms around here.  They preclude a cooling off period, and I like the cool.  My Debbie likes the heat.  Her house is always too hot for me, and mine too cool for her.  Good we have separate homes. LOL
Well got some more bills to pay so I better go.  CUL EV1 GBU and GB Ukraine.

johoward

« Reply #25413 on: August 10, 2022, 08:06:19 AM »

Oh!  I forgot.  Happy BD to Jim's Dad.

calihoula

« Reply #25414 on: August 10, 2022, 09:09:32 AM »

3:15

hi joho wow good on puzzle! yesterday jim came home i said did you take your dad out to eat no he dumped me i laughed it was the day for his poker game with his very good old friends pops is the youngest of the bunch so jim taking him today. i checked on tv kids no one there i wound tape back to night did not see anyone but could of been there sleeping its cooler but be hot again so happy they can get out if they want not stuck in a hot barn i did not see ac or even a fan in there for them . i got fans on my barn swallows nest yes thunderstorms are concerning for nevas area. dont want to much rain i saw cooler temps for you neva  this this house on cool side you too cold pick a big dog to lay with.
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

calihoula

« Reply #25415 on: August 10, 2022, 02:56:02 PM »

i went to check on tv kids before i go to barn soinded like a fan i heard couple of clods then sounds like a vacumn sweeper maybe kids cleaning their room did not see then loud dog barking brownie in here with me i had to turn sound down she is upset with that dog dog really carrying on i hope those kids are okay   :(
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

neva

« Reply #25416 on: August 10, 2022, 05:27:55 PM »

Oak Creek Canyon (Arizona) ...  27:00       97°  (1:55)  Sunny, a few clouds, and a slight breeze.  It could be a lot worse.  (At least it's not 110°)  We have a lot of Thunder each evening, sometimes with rain, sometimes not.

Hi you two.  I hope your day is going well.  Weds is my laundry day, so I'm getting that done while reading a few things online.  It's cool enough here in the house.  I've only got a 'Toto' sized dog here to spend any time with.  Little Zoe.  She is such a cutie.

That is really nice that Jim's dad spends time with his friends on a regular basis. 

"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
(J.W. Stephens)

johoward

« Reply #25417 on: August 10, 2022, 09:55:41 PM »

Oh my that is a Toto dog.  How cute. I don't know how to send pics on here or I would show you all Debbie's handsome Boss.  He is more interesting and pleasant every day. Cal, if I phone him too you could you put him on here for me?  I will try it and hope.
I hate for the TV babies to leave us, because then all are out and about and Winter is next.
Had a great day today.  Showed Debbie some of the places I have found to be nice and peaceful during my grieving time.  We got some good donuts from the lady who helped me rescue the baby bird in Medina.  I bought $40 worth of donuts for Lorrie, Mary, and Debbie and I.  These are works of art.  Mary's eyes really popped out when she opened the box.  She will share them with her Brazilian husband and his parents who are visiting for 11 days.  The in laws were sitting the baby so Debbie had a free day to roam with me.  It was great.
 Maybe we can get another day while they are here.  I hope so.  Then I will take her and Boss to find some good peaches.  So far no luck.  Tried four or five places.  All too hard and no taste.  Need to drift off now to bed.  No TV babies and it does sound like a fan is running or a fountain.
Have to look close at Ted just to see if he is breathing.  So far he is, but not moving around much.  I think his hips are sore.
BYE for now good night and GBU EV1 and GB Ukraine.

calhound

« Reply #25418 on: August 11, 2022, 04:59:56 AM »

hi you guys its 62 here 62 in the barn 50 and cloudy in iceland. i need to mow the dogs yard so will try to do that in a bit

Hi Neva! Zoe is such a cute little dog! i wish i could shrink penny and brownie at times esp when i am sleeping on the very edge of my bed laying on that flat board that runs across the end. penny cali and brownie all nice and sleeping stretched out.  it is nice jims dad spends time with his old friends. they sure did help him alot when jims mom died. theyl still do they are a tight knit group. very nice.

Hi Joho1 I do not hear that dog at tv barn this morning. and saw no one there either. no i cant put your pictures from my phone on here. i just have a flip phone cant download it to my computer i can see your pictures on it just cant do anything with them.   can email them to me i can then. can you upload them to your computer? how many donuts can you get for 40.00? i just buy those little debbies little sack of donuts.

Russia Ukraine War News LIVE Updates: Ukraine says 9 Russian warplanes destroyed in Crimea blasts
Ukraine has said that nine Russian warplanes were destroyed in a deadly string of explosions at an air base in Crimea that appeared to be the result of a Ukrainian attack, which would represent a significant escalation in the war. Russia on Wednesday denied any aircraft were damaged in Tuesday's blasts — or that any attack took place. But satellite photos clearly showed at least seven fighter planes at the base had been blown up and others probably damaged. Stay with TOI for all updates --

GB Ukraine! putin too bad you were not near one of your warplanes
http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/20055D51A06B?z=0

johoward

« Reply #25419 on: August 11, 2022, 06:18:29 AM »

5:33 Good morning. 2 dozen for $40.  Seems High eh?  But really works of art.  Each one is so loaded with decorative stuff.  It is like a whole meal.  I love this little shop. and part of the charm is going there.  Soo I won't do this again.  I will leave it to Mary and Lorrie to go there and get their own.  They will enjoy the old time atmosphere of downtown Medina as much as I do.  The best part was having Debbie along to meet Melissa who helped me with the little bird rescue.  When we got back to Debbie's we tried to repair the wing of a bird wounded Monarch.  We failed.  Debbie is part of a Monarch rescue group.  On line videos show how to make repairs, but we just broke off the wing that was injured.  We put him back in the butterfly bush so he would at least have sustenance.  She loves them, and was shocked to see that bird strike.  Nature is so crewel sometimes.
OK now my coffee is getting cold. So CUL EV1 GBU and GB Ukraine.

calihoula

« Reply #25420 on: August 11, 2022, 11:58:19 AM »

3:30 wow joho big bucks for donuts sack of little debbies 2 for 3.00 white powered or chocolate or strawberry or cinnamon. not fancy but pearl sweets racconies jim dont care but nice a bakery like that for you guys!  :) i mowed went to town put gas in focus and gas can bank justin was here he mowed back of horse pasture i let it get away just no time and weather he is going to bale it. so good other horses will enjoy it good pasture no weeds no animals out on it. did load of laundry chores now resting getting ready to order groceries online walmart will pick up,at 7 am tomorrow and stop at harps. i came home let out griz cali got them back in let out penny brownie they took off down to the end of their fence yard telling off justin on his tractor justin was done coming back up next to dogs yard and those big girls ran hitting the door let us in now i did both ran over to the windows telling justin off from there.

neva

« Reply #25421 on: August 11, 2022, 06:42:28 PM »

Hockey ... 23:31        95°  (3:35 pm)   Clouds, lightly overcast, and not much of a breeze yet.  We had plenty of thunder last night and a bit of rain.   Well, in the last few minutes --  It has just started raining.  😊 🌵⛈️⛈️⛈️   It's pouring.  Good, we need it!

Hi you two. 

I've caught some kind of a cold.  I took a Covid test just to be sure, and it was negative; I knew it would be.  I just hope it stays out of my chest. 

Joho ...  maybe if you sent a photo of Boss from your phone to your computer email then you might be able to post it in here.

Cal ...  You'd love little Zoe.  She is full of energy.  She just turned 13 last month.  She loves family and her home.  She has a few outfits and loves wearing them sometimes ... especially in cooler weather, and once she has her outfit on, just try taking it off her. 
She is a pleasure to have around. 
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
(J.W. Stephens)

calhound

« Reply #25422 on: August 12, 2022, 04:51:50 AM »

hi you guys its 67 here 54 raining in iceland barn ac messed up stopped up we thought it was cleaned out but it is not will have to take all apart again need to just put a new furnace out there not this used thing that i am sick of. got to get groceries in a foul mood i wish it was winter all the time no summer

GB Ukraine and hi neva i would love little zoe i already do!

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/33055D51A14E?z=0

calihoula

« Reply #25423 on: August 12, 2022, 01:04:36 PM »

Steven Seagal visited a destroyed prison in Russian-occupied Ukraine on Tuesday, where he repeated Kremlin talking points in his role as an official spokesman.Footage broadcast by Russian state media showed the actor in the wreckage of a building identified as the Olenivka prison in Donetsk, where in late July more than 50 Ukrainian prisoners of war were killed in disputed circumstances.

While Russia accuses Ukraine of hitting the center with US-provided HIMARS artillery, Ukraine blamed it on Russian shelling — in either case, a war crime.

Seagal was there to promote the Russian side, in his capacity as a special representative of Russia's foreign ministry, tasked with US-Russian relations. Seagal, a longtime admirer of Russia and President Vladimir Putin, was given that title in 2018.

not that i was ever a fan of seagal sure aint now

coils in barn ac not level finally got that metal spacer bar back in there now its draining again. this is last summer with that old furnace and put in a bigger outside coil too.

calihoula

« Reply #25424 on: August 12, 2022, 01:09:57 PM »

3:24