Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Bob Anderson  (Read 36688 times)

gadeb

Re: Bob Anderson
« Reply #120 on: August 11, 2015, 05:36:29 PM »

Baz - well said.  Still missing Bob so much, but happy to know this is what he wanted and eager to see all that is in store for RRP. Thanks for all the info.

Wilson

• Not lost at sea, alive and well in the nest
« Reply #121 on: August 11, 2015, 06:45:42 PM »

Amy publicly published the RRP Blog and RRP FB article with the new RRP announcements yesterday evening.  In this instance, I knew they had already given out some of that information, even though it wasn't "in print" yet on their official RRP pages, when a new Director and Board Members were identified as such with name tags this past Saturday in Decorah.

I am so glad Amy was able to get those announcements out yesterday.  I'm excited about the make-up of the expanded Board!  It's going to bring a lot of additional expertise and experience from several different areas and backgrounds to add to that which was already there on the Board.  Amy's new Blog spot post answered so many questions.  I hope people will read that new Blog Spot, and not just the short announcement.  And I'm feeling positive about what they may be working on in terms of a "starter nest" for Mom and Dad.  We'll have to wait and see what Mom and Dad think of it.  ;) 

I'm still so sad about Bob's death, but I am encouraged by the energy that "RRP and Company" are showing during a time of what must be deep grief for them all.

There is great information to be found in the new RRP Blog about the RRP Board and Director and the first four projects from Bob's "Top 10" project list, which are being worked on immediately.  Be sure to see those near the bottom of that Blog, which can be found at:
http://raptorresource.blogspot.com/2015/08/message-from-director.html

http://raptorresource.blogspot.com/2015/08/message-from-director.html

I am just sad  :'( :'( and there is no other way to express it.  Bob is gone, the nest is gone and now we hope M&D will rebuild ??? ???  Cam? What we have fallen in love with and nurtured in our hearts over the last 5 years.......
Nothing lasts forever but this has been a devastating year.  I have always been told "change is good"  ???  Not this time. 
Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius---Edward O Wilson
NE Ohio

ra

« Reply #122 on: August 11, 2015, 07:59:13 PM »

Awww... Wilson...  You have to look on the bright side... RRP is going to build a platform in hopes of luring Mom and Dad to build there and it will be close to N2, so the cables are run, so there's a good chance that we might be able to watch them.  Remember, 2013?  We didn't have a cam that year either.  Then, we also have the new Decorah nest.  But, yes, Bob is gone...  :'(  Can't find anything bright to that one.
Wisdom doesn't necessarily come with age.
Sometimes, age just shows up by itself.

NW SC USA

shep

• NEWS and analysis
« Reply #123 on: August 12, 2015, 03:13:21 AM »

Posted in the beek room. Had to take it!
We need to laugh again!
Life goes on!
ACCEPT TRUTH even when you dont like it
https://gab.com/ShepQ

godiva36

• Decorah eagle watcher since April 5, 2011
« Reply #124 on: August 12, 2015, 08:40:05 AM »

I think someone asked about the eagle Bob was carrying on page Three
of this thread.  I believe that was Four!    The picture was posted by Ginger.

I found an eagle posted on page 4 by ginger, but it had a white head and tail, so not Mz Four. If I remember correctly, that eagle was found on the side of the road by a father and son. They stayed with it until Bob arrived and took it to his home for the night and was taken to S.O.A.R. the next day. It had lead poisoning and recovered. It was released back in Decorah by the father and son that found it.
Beautiful, historic Georgetown, KY

Ginger52

• E Central IA
« Reply #125 on: August 12, 2015, 08:45:10 AM »

Godiva -- you've got it right except I'm not sure if it recovered and was released.  When I read SOAR's update page, it indicated the eagle had some improvement but there was never an outcome indicated.

godiva36

« Reply #126 on: August 12, 2015, 09:10:01 AM »

Godiva -- you've got it right except I'm not sure if it recovered and was released.  When I read SOAR's update page, it indicated the eagle had some improvement but there was never an outcome indicated.

Whichever adult eagle was found by the father and son, did recover and was released by the father and son. The eagle in the pic you posted definitely had lead poisoning from looking at the tail feathers.  I remember seeing a pic of the father and son with Bob during the release of the eagle they found. Maybe there should be a photo section album only with pics and a caption under it. Would be so much easier to find pics that way. ;D

williwaw

« Reply #127 on: August 12, 2015, 09:31:39 AM »

Wilson, I am with you
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 11:02:27 AM by williwaw »
E2, phone home!

Nora in IA

• May 30, 2020 Great Spirit Bluff
« Reply #128 on: August 12, 2015, 07:51:24 PM »

The one that they rescued and it urped up all over Bob and his car...............  ;)

Nora in IA

• May 30, 2020 Great Spirit Bluff
« Reply #129 on: August 12, 2015, 07:52:53 PM »

Wilson or anyone, depending on what happens with mom & dad, I can't believe they'd leave the area, but that's my thoughts.  There will still be the new nest and couple to watch that is in the works, so either the new couple or both pair...........fingers are crossed.

shep

• NEWS and analysis
« Reply #130 on: August 13, 2015, 03:57:58 AM »

EAGLE NEST NEWS - GENERAL

When a young pair of Bald Eagles needs to build a brand new nest, their first job is to find a place for it. They probably prefer a territory close to water, where they can catch fish for their babies without wasting time flying back and forth a long distance, but in some areas may nest several miles from fishing areas.

In Canada and the northern and western states, eagles almost always select a coniferous tree-usually a pine, spruce, or fir. In the eastern states, where large conifers may not be available in otherwise good habitat, eagles are more likely to nest in an oak, hickory, cottonwood, or other large leafy tree.

Pairs usually start a new nest in a living tree, though there are often dead trees ("snags") nearby where they have a view all around when they're resting near the nest. The healthier the tree, the better. Eagles use and keep adding sticks to their nests for years and years. One well-studied Ohio nest was used for 34 years, until the tree finally blew down
Other interesting things on link
http://eaglenest.blogs.wm.edu/2013/02/04/hk-establishing-territory-at-honey-bee-golf-club

I did a web search for when eagles START a new nest.
I know they add to it all the time.  I found above link.
Dad Norfolk had a lot of offspring, one was HK, who was photographed starting a new nest in January.  He had a girlfriend.  I wonder if he has offspring yet
http://eaglenest.blogs.wm.edu/2013/02/04/hk-establishing-territory-at-honey-bee-golf-club

Basic websites of Reese Lukei
Center for Conservation Biology, Va
Some of you remember Norfolk Botanical Garden eaglecam
old -   http://eaglenest.blogs.wm.edu
new -  http://www.ccbbirds.org/news-room/blogs/eagle-nest-blog

I thot some of you might be interested - in case the Decorah pair happen to read that article.   ;D

ACCEPT TRUTH even when you dont like it
https://gab.com/ShepQ

godiva36

« Reply #131 on: August 13, 2015, 11:54:35 AM »

Nora - I know Bob has rescue 2 or 3 eagles in Decorah. One was a juvie and an adult. I don't remember if the one that upchucked on him and in his car was a juvie, but I'm thinking it was.

shep - thanks for all that info. Mom and dad won't give up their prime property. ;D Dad Norfolk built a nest on private property and raised 2 or 3 with his daughter from a previous clutch. Don't remember what year she was from. There are no cameras there, only pics that are posted on facebook every now and then.

walton

« Reply #132 on: August 13, 2015, 07:40:21 PM »

The one that they rescued and it urped up all over Bob and his car...............  ;)

From Decorah Newspapers archive:

Eagle release at Phelps Park Saturday
Raptor Resource Director Anderson hoping anonymous father and son who helped save injured bird will show up for event

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 5:03 AM

Helping save the great bird that serves as the national symbol is worthy of recognition, and that's exactly what Decorah's "eagle man," Bob Anderson, would like to do ... but he doesn't know who the good Samaritans are.

On Sept. 15, a Decorah father and son helped Anderson rescue a bald eagle that had been struck by a car. Anderson is the director of the non-profit Raptor Resource Project whose nest-cam website went viral and was visited more than 206 million times this past season. The nest-cam recorded images non-stop as a pair of adult eagles raised three eaglets to maturity near the Decorah Fish Hatchery.

The injured eagle was nursed back to health and will be released Saturday, Oct. 22, 11 a.m. at Phelps Park. The event is open to the public, and Anderson is hoping the anonymous father and son will show up for the event.

"I unfortunately forgot their names, but I know they were local people from Decorah," said Anderson. "I hope they or someone who knows them reads this and they plan to attend the release event."

It was a Thursday when Anderson received a call telling him there was an injured bald eagle on Stage Coach Road.

"I drove over to the site as quick as I could to discover two good Samaritans using their cars to block the eagle from getting struck by another car," said Anderson.

"As I went to capture the eagle, it ran down the steep embankment. I was able to capture the obviously severely injured bird. I was on my way back up to the road carrying the eagle when I was greeted by two local sheriff's deputies. They had placed a call to the local game warden but after about 30 minutes of waiting we made a second call to him only to discover he couldn't help us get the bird to a rehab project.

"One of the Samaritans drove my car while I held the eagle, and we brought the bird to my house and put it in a special room for birds of prey called a mews," said Anderson. "However, as we were coming up the Locust hill, the eagle barfed up a crop of road-killed raccoon all over myself and car. It was gross.

"I put the eagle in the darkened mews then raced into the house to change out of my blood-soaked clothes. When I stepped back outside the father and son were cleaning out my car.

"A friend of mine runs a raptor rehab project in Iowa called SOAR (save our avian resources). She picked up the injured eagle the following day.

"Fortunately, the eagle has made a full recovery and will be released Saturday, Oct. 22, at 11 a.m. at Phelps Park. It would be great to have the Decorah father and son who helped me save her attend," said Anderson."

ra

« Reply #133 on: August 13, 2015, 09:18:29 PM »

Thanks, walton!  Sounds like it was an adult, doesn't it?  I think the juvie that was injured was in 2011 and we were all worried that it was one of "ours".  If you look in the forum stats, the day that juvie was found was the most posted day ever.   :)
Wisdom doesn't necessarily come with age.
Sometimes, age just shows up by itself.

NW SC USA

baziunc

• Queen of Decorah - April 10, 2016
« Reply #134 on: August 13, 2015, 11:18:31 PM »

Walton - thanks for the info about the rescue of that Bald Eagle.  Here is "Part Two" of that - story of the release with video, and there also is a still photo of the "principals" involved at the bottom of this news article.  The Good Samaritans were identified and were there to participate in the release, as Bob hoped they would be.  :)
http://www.decorahnews.com/archived-stories/2011/10/1026.html
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center