Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Bob Anderson  (Read 44110 times)

baziunc

• Queen of Decorah - April 10, 2016
Re: Bob Anderson
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2015, 03:03:12 PM »

Thanks, Nora for bringing Walton's post of that link forward.  That's a great article.

Here's another one that Sherri Elliott posted on FB this afternoon...

A "Must See" 2011 video of an Iowa Public TV program interview with Bob Anderson regarding the Eagle Cam:

http://site.iptv.org/iowaoutdoors/story/1848/decorah-eagle-nest - "Decorah Eagle Nest" ("Iowa Outdoors" - IPTV/Iowa Public TV)

Thanks to Sherri Elliott for posting this comment on the RRP public FB page at:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Raptor-Resource-Project/103786266324668

Sherri Elliott ... Many of you may have this saved in your favorites ... it is a favorite video of mine and is an interview of Bob Anderson with Iowa Outdoors. It's from June, 2011 and specifically about the start of the live cam installation, but also touches on how the live camera stream globally has impacted so many lives and demographics. Plus it's a joy to see him! http://site.iptv.org/iowaou.../story/1848/decorah-eagle-nest
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center

jfrancl

• ChatMods
  • Educating is key to ending lead poisoning
« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2015, 03:13:43 PM »

Welcome to the forum laceyest.
Please join us in our campaign to GET THE LEAD OUT. Together we can make the world a safer place for Bald Eagles and all wild life. We need you, THEY need you!
http://raptorresource.org/forum/index.php/topic,765.0.html

Ginger52

• E Central IA
« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2015, 04:04:39 PM »

Laceyest - Welcome to the RRP forum. You should check out the other rooms in the forum too. Cheers, Beak and Decorah 2015 are rooms with lots of info too.

baz - !!!!!!!!!!! I found you!! :D :D :D :D :D

ginger - thanks for the info from S.O.A.R. The 1:00p.m. time would be CT. Do you know what eagle Bob is holding in this pic?

Sorry, godiva, I don't know.  I read all the comments for that post and someone did ask, but SOAR didn't respond.

williwaw

« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2015, 05:03:05 PM »

Thank OEW. Sympathies to the Lynch's
E2, phone home!

shep

• NEWS and analysis
« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2015, 05:05:43 PM »

Thanks for posting EW - very nice - good post
ACCEPT TRUTH even when you dont like it
https://gab.com/ShepQ

walton

« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2015, 07:09:12 PM »

Here's a wonderful comment piece from decorahnews.com:

Comment: In memory of Bob Anderson
Posted: Tue, Jul 28, 2015 3:24 PM

(Comment by decorahnews.com's Paul Scott):

I once attended a wedding in Huntington, Indiana.  You probably don't know this, but Huntington is the home of the "Dan Quayle Museum."   Dan Quayle used to be Vice President of the United States.  But most people--including my nieces and nephews who attended the wedding--remember him as "The Guy Who Couldn't Spell "potato."

It's funny how fickle fate is.  Not everyone gets to be famous--and not everyone who gets famous controls how they get famous.

Which brings me to Bob Anderson, whose vision created the Decorah bald eagle webcam way back in 2007.   By today's standards, the hook-up in those days was fairly primitive.  Almost any time decorahnews.com would post a news story about the eaglecam, their website would crash because the number of visitors exceeded the limited capacity of the website to handle them.  But Bob was patient with us and with the early limitations of the webcam.

Four years later, everything changed.  When UStream took over the hosting, the Decorah Eagles became the most viewed live-stream of all time.  There were 250 million views of the webcam that year.  Since then there have been a few challenges.  The eagles moved to a different nest in the 2013 season, so there was no webcam feed.  New cameras were installed in the new nest for the 2014 season, but problems this year resulted in the webcam being shut down again.

But here's why Bob Anderson will remain one of my favorite people: He was the same in 2011 as he was in 2007 and the same he was in 2015.  Bob didn't care personally about being famous for his work with the bald eagles--in fact, he probably would have preferred to have been known for his work with peregrine falcons.  Instead, he worked on his passion in life--protecting all kinds of raptors and educating the public about the challenges they faced.

This passion brought fame to him late in his life.  But he was able to handle that fame and keep a calm head.  That's a pretty good legacy for a man who also could correctly spell "potato."

ra

« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2015, 07:29:41 PM »

Awww... Walton, Thanks for bringing this here.  What a really nice write-up! 

Thanks to everyone who has brought the links, vids, pics, and info.  It's all very much appreciated!  Wow... I'm going to miss Bob and hearing his "latest"...

I'll definitely be looking up on Aug. 8...
Wisdom doesn't necessarily come with age.
Sometimes, age just shows up by itself.

NW SC USA

godiva36

• Decorah eagle watcher since April 5, 2011
« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2015, 09:13:23 PM »

baz - I had saved the PDF doc earlier from one of the other forum rooms, but haven't read it. :-\

OEW - thanks bringing the David Lynch post to the forum.

walton - thanks for that article. When I found the Decorah web cam in 2011, I read about what the eagle web cam was like before it was on Ustream. It has handled by Luther College and not many people could view it at one time. And I think you were only limited to 15 minutes of viewing. ;D
Beautiful, historic Georgetown, KY

godiva36

« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2015, 11:44:02 PM »

I found this in the comment section of a S.O.A.R. post. It was not posted by Kay or anybody connected to S.O.A.R. I will be posting it in other rooms. ;D

http://tinyurl.com/q8tzgp7

lcjordan

« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2015, 01:36:13 AM »

godiva, when I saw this I couldn't believe that the petition had only 2 signatures. However, when I tried to add mine, I got the message "Signature failed. Try again in a few minutes." I kept trying, but never could get it to go through.

shep

• NEWS and analysis
« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2015, 04:08:10 AM »

walton - WONDERFUL article!  thanx!
godiva, jordan - I see another signature got thru. 

I found this in the comment section of a S.O.A.R. post. It was not posted by Kay or anybody connected to S.O.A.R. I will be posting it in other rooms. ;D
http://tinyurl.com/q8tzgp7

WE PETITION THE OBAMA ADMINISTRATION TO:
Bob Anderson deserves a posthumous Presidential Citizens Medal for his work with American raptor restoration
The late Bob Anderson should be honored with a Presidential Citizens Medal for bringing the Decorah Eagles and other raptors to the attention of millions, including school children, via webcam. Since 2008, over 300 million people have watched the parents of the Decorah Bald Eagle nest nurture and teach the next generation of America's National Bird. As executive director of the Raptor Resource Center, he brought the Peregrine Falcon from the bring of extinction in the area, raising chicks himself and releasing them to the wild. He inspired and trained the next generation of conservation scientists He was tireless and fearless, working at heights of 80 feet and beyond to install equipment and check on nests. He was a true American hero, worthy of an award.

Published Date: July 30, 2015
Issues: Education, Environment, Natural Resources

SIGNATURES NEEDED BY AUGUST 29, 2015 TO REACH GOAL OF - 100,000
TOTAL SIGNATURES ON THIS PETITION  -  3

godiva36

« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2015, 09:00:47 AM »

wnut - I did have trouble. But, I refreshed the page and tried again. No problem. You will have to confirm your email address for your name to be added. There are now only 75 sigs. :-\

shep

• NEWS and analysis
« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2015, 09:13:49 AM »

wnut - I did have trouble. But, I refreshed the page and tried again. No problem. You will have to confirm your email address for your name to be added. There are now only 75 sigs. :-\

75 - WOW! Thats great!  In 5 hours!
  -  5 hours ago only 3 -  you Bob-peeps are AWESOME!!

:o :D

godiva36

« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2015, 10:28:13 AM »

75 - WOW! Thats great!  In 5 hours!
  -  5 hours ago only 3 -  you Bob-peeps are AWESOME!!

:o :D

There are now 115 sigs. The link was posted in the comment section on the S.O.A.R. facebook page last night and I posted it in several of the forum rooms late last night. It's not gaining as many sigs as I hoped it would. I think it is now posted in my facebook eagle group.

williwaw

« Reply #59 on: July 31, 2015, 11:43:23 AM »

I signed a while ago and have not yet gotten email confirmation
E2, phone home!