Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Birds in the News  (Read 432625 times)

T40cfr403

Re: Birds in the News
« Reply #300 on: December 31, 2015, 11:05:04 AM »

Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of the world.
― Rachel Carson, Silent Spring

T40cfr403

« Reply #301 on: December 31, 2015, 11:06:40 AM »

Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of the world.

glogdog

• ChatMods
  • And He will raise you up on Eagles' wings!
« Reply #302 on: January 01, 2016, 01:34:37 AM »

glogdog

T40cfr403

« Reply #303 on: January 01, 2016, 05:10:08 AM »

'Hope' The Bald Eagle Released After Rehab At Foyil's Wild Heart Ranch

http://www.newson6.com/story/30863535/hope-the-bald-eagle-released-after-rehab-at-foyils-wild-heart-ranch

T40cfr403

« Reply #304 on: January 01, 2016, 05:18:47 AM »

California Condor That Helped Save Species Returns to Wild. What a story!

http://www.nbcnews.com/science/environment/california-condor-helped-save-species-returns-wild-n488671

baziunc

• Queen of Decorah - April 10, 2016
« Reply #305 on: January 01, 2016, 01:58:09 PM »

California Condor flies free for the first time in 30 years:

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-california-condor-flies-free-for-first-time-in-30-years-20151231-story.html

Thank you so much for posting this, glogdog!!!  I have followed this California Condor recovery program for a while now - it is one big story.  I cried tears of joy reading this wonderful news of 35-year old AC-4's release to fly free again for the first time after 30 years of captivity and after producing 30 Condor offspring that were ultimately released to the wild.  AC-4 was captured in 1985 when he was about 5 years old and was one of the last 23 California Condors still alive in the entire world (that total of 23 birds included all wild and captive California Condors still alive at that time!), and played a major role in helping to keep his species alive today... so far...  Oh my gosh, I so hope he finds a mate and nests this year!!!  I hope he stays safe and flies free for many years to come!!!  They can live to be 60-years old.  I hope everyone will read about this and help these birds survive.  I'm so happy for this good news, and would have loved to have witnessed AC-4 soaring away, high and free, on his majestic 9-foot wingspan!   :-* :-* :-*
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center

T40cfr403

« Reply #306 on: January 02, 2016, 01:09:27 AM »

Thanks to oldguy for posting this in the DE15 thread! It's a simply fascinating story from 2013.

Rise and fall of the great Decorah Turkey Vulture roost

http://decorahnewspapers.com/Content/Social/Social/Article/Rise-and-fall-of-the-great-Decorah-Turkey-Vulture-roost/-2/-2/30552

baziunc

« Reply #307 on: January 02, 2016, 11:19:41 AM »

Thanks to oldguy for posting this in the DE15 thread! It's a simply fascinating story from 2013.

Rise and fall of the great Decorah Turkey Vulture roost

http://decorahnewspapers.com/Content/Social/Social/Article/Rise-and-fall-of-the-great-Decorah-Turkey-Vulture-roost/-2/-2/30552

A real WOW! of a story!!!  Thanks, T40 and oldguy, for posting and sharing it!

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center

T40cfr403

« Reply #308 on: January 02, 2016, 12:47:51 PM »

T40cfr403

« Reply #309 on: January 03, 2016, 05:45:54 PM »

You've just GOT to read this story! Such drama and heartbreak and now a threesome on the nest. New frontiers in eagle biology.

Eagle reality show returns

http://www.clintonherald.com/opinion/columns/eagle-reality-show-returns/article_fd50c6ae-d4fb-58ab-a7e9-d25570fc9ede.html

Note: The article has a link to the webcam page but I never could get in.

T40cfr403

« Reply #310 on: January 03, 2016, 05:53:01 PM »

baziunc

« Reply #311 on: January 03, 2016, 06:23:02 PM »

You've just GOT to read this story! Such drama and heartbreak and now a threesome on the nest. New frontiers in eagle biology.

Eagle reality show returns

http://www.clintonherald.com/opinion/columns/eagle-reality-show-returns/article_fd50c6ae-d4fb-58ab-a7e9-d25570fc9ede.html

Note: The article has a link to the webcam page but I never could get in.

Very interesting story, T40!  Just goes to show you how strong the urge to procreate is in Bald Eagles!  They somehow persevere, and  keep going on and on year after year, despite repeated failures and losses.  This is an amazing BE family history!  Sad, too, about the many known electrocutions related to this Eagle family history, and noteworthy in light of the Decorah Eagles' history of fledgling electrocutions.  I don't know if I could bring myself to watch them this year, knowing the history, and the ominous reporting on the owls there this year... almost told as a foreboding.  But I will hope for them to have success here this year.

Ginger52

• E Central IA
« Reply #312 on: January 03, 2016, 07:34:32 PM »

Thanks for the link to the story on the eagle trio, T40.  I've been seeing photos of that trio for awhile now on Facebook but not really any additional info except location and that it is 2 males and 1 female.  I know it's not unheard of to have a trio but I believe it's rare.  The only one I've read anything about was the one several years ago of 2 females and 1 male on Santa Catalina Island, CA.  I tried to find more info. about your trio, T40, but couldn't and I also could not access the webcam.  So, I was thrilled to see your link and learn more about this trio.  What an amazing story and what tragedy they've endured but still kept living their lives and carrying on.  I hope we learn how this season works out for them.

baziunc

« Reply #313 on: January 04, 2016, 04:26:57 PM »

ginger, I had also read before about the interesting development of the CA Bald Eagle trio of 2 females/1 male that you mentioned.  It's interesting to read T40's post about the BE trio of 2 males/1 female.  Doesn't sound like the 2nd male in T40's post helped much other than with nest-building, from what I read.

T40cfr403

« Reply #314 on: January 05, 2016, 03:12:49 AM »

The UK loves its songbirds and some have placed the blame for their steep decline on the sparrowhawk and other raptors. Not true! Loss of habitat is the culprit, as it is in most other parts of the world.

Opinion - Raptor predation not to blame for wild birds' decline

http://www.westernmorningnews.co.uk/Opinion-Raptor-predation-blame-wild-birds-decline/story-28461909-detail/story.html

This leaflet is supported by 18 voluntary bodies and addresses concerns about the impact of predation by birds of prey (raptors) on songbirds. It explains that the principal cause of songbird declines is more likely to be the intensive use of land for agriculture than predation by sparrowhawks. It suggests policies and practices which are needed to reverse songbird declines.

https://rspb.org.uk/Images/birdsofprey_songbirds_tcm9-188711.pdf

Sparrowhawk Accipiter nisus, male perched on an old branch covered in moss, Dumfries, Scotland, April