Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beak Room 2023  (Read 470554 times)

baziunc

• Queen of Decorah - April 10, 2016
Re: Beak Room 2023
« Reply #12465 on: December 22, 2023, 02:34:00 PM »

Waving to All the Beakers!  Hugs all around, with wishes for you all to have a Happy Day!  :) :-*

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center

BrokenLug

« Reply #12466 on: December 22, 2023, 02:38:17 PM »

BL  Was your friend actually surfing or watching??  Crazy waves - amazing.

Mike was out there surfing that craziness.
He's a total surfing nut since he was knee high.
He has surfed all over the world as I can solidly attest to. 

chill NZ new dude. 

I'm talking way more than a celestial collision of water.   
He lives about 1/2 a block from the beach on 23rd Ave. His grandparents - parents - and now his family have lived on that road since the 40's.   8)
He goes into the shower in his full winter wet suit > with him in it > "fills" it with hot water and runs down to the waves >
Catches a few sets > rinse lather repeat   ;)   :)

He was in his glory I know.
He said it was his best day ever @ the Jersey shore eva ..   8)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2023, 08:52:14 PM by BrokenLug »
U. S. A.

kbshcb

« Reply #12467 on: December 22, 2023, 02:39:07 PM »

Baz - thank you. I watched the video on the lack of wreathes. It sounds like we didn't have a coordinator with Wreaths Across America!....What!.....I can't wait to go and make sure my sponsored wreath is there or not.....I paid for.

What a lack of oh what should I say? Can't say it here.

Heading to the dinner table: franks and home made chili

BrokenLug

« Reply #12468 on: December 22, 2023, 02:57:17 PM »

I sure hope the wreath you paid for is at Scott's grave site too kb.   :-*

Placing +/- 270,000 wreath's is a heck of a lot of wreaths and volunteers however.

From the #'s I could glean that would be about 68 tractor trailers worth of wreaths from Harrington, Maine to Fort Snelling National Cemetery, MN.   :o

Could be the pine bows needed are harvested and assembled more locally, like in MN, I don't know.
I didn't really know all that much about NWAA until just today.  :-[

kb I guess as a fellow Naval Squid I will never know because my ashes will directed to be scattered on the 7 Continents I've walked on.

Wherever the toothless salty dog bastard's can reach to let me go to the winds on the planet is just fine with me x 7.  ;D

Even if the harvesting, assembling, trucks, fuel and tolls were paid for via donations the amount of people needed to physically do all of that is just staggering and a beautiful respect to our Veterans.    8) 8) 8) 

How many volunteers to place that many wreathes in one day in say possibly a foot of snow safely??   :o :o 

My brain can't compute that kind of volunteer mobilization.

Does every single veterans internment location deserve a wreath, absolutely, but logistically speaking a massive undertaking for sure.  :)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2023, 09:20:57 PM by BrokenLug »
U. S. A.

oldguy

« Reply #12469 on: December 22, 2023, 03:34:49 PM »

Good Afternoon Beakers

Another issue this year with wreaths and trees...  Weather conditions over the past several years are starting to take a toll on the trees in northern Minn. and Wisconsin - the number of trees/wreaths harvested were cut a lot - our store normally brought in 850-900 trees for the season - this year it was about 550.  But the prices also went up by a similar percent.  The price increase also effected whether the customer bought a live tree or artificial tree - wee sold out our artificial trees this year - first time in the 6 years I have been at the store.  We still had about 40 live trees left on Thursday morning when the store marked them down to $5 each.  If any remain by Sat morning, they will be free.  A lot of people with ponds will come get 5-10 to create fish habitats.
This would have also effected the number of Wreaths that the organization could buy with the reduced funds and/or how many wreaths the vendors could contribute.

Maru pushes the push cart with the paper bag on   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFlJkmTRvnU
SE Iowa - Grew up within 40 miles of Decorah

Puff

« Reply #12470 on: December 22, 2023, 03:41:27 PM »

Well, I'm also getting close to the end.  Yesterday was the rough day - my poor old arthritic hands - made the traditional Italian fish salad.  (shrimp, lobster, clams, mussels, squid, whitefish, crab, calamari, pollock, soaking in lemon juice, garlic oil, clam juice, and for looking pretty sliced black olives, parsley, octopus).  The hard part that takes the longest and scrunches my hands is the crab, lobster, octopus which has to be broken into/opened up.  Lots of treatment today with warm water and ice filled dishcloths.  Note to self:  "New cracker and knife and scissors for next year."

Tonight is the oatmeal cookies, tomorrow the tassies, Sunday the cucidadi.  Easy peasy!

Monday?  Pig out on duck while O D ing on sports.

I had a friend drop by - briefed me on her open clients just in case - she's leaving January 8 - 24 for her own trip to Oman, Sri Lanka, and Bihar Uzbekistan - I share backup for her/her clients.  Anyway, I had to give credit to her for a fantastic card.  Front pic was of her and husband last February on trip to the Antarctic.  Bundled in appropriate layers, poles, floes and mountains.  Reminder:  Feb is summer at the Antarctic.  That was one super nice pic for remembrances.  BUT the card inside was awesome and inspiring - Huge sized print - Celebrate Jesus!       
Simple and to the point.  WOW

BTW she spent May at the other pole, Arctic Pole's summer.  Hubby said no; he passed on that one.

Enjoy all the celebrating, family, food, we got another year.  Be grateful for all we have and those with whom we can share.  Thank God, Thanks Jesus, Merry Christmas all.

P

baziunc

« Reply #12471 on: December 22, 2023, 03:55:18 PM »

Baz - thank you. I watched the video on the lack of wreathes. It sounds like we didn't have a coordinator with Wreaths Across America!....What!.....I can't wait to go and make sure my sponsored wreath is there or not.....I paid for.

What a lack of oh what should I say? Can't say it here.

Heading to the dinner table: franks and home made chili

KB, I saw that in that video news report, too. Must have been some sort of unexpected coordination snafu this year. I believe they also mentioned another factor was related to a lack of donations, maybe, if I heard that correctly.  I bet it will be a different story next year.  Too, as BL said, the sheer size of every aspect of that effort for such a large number of grave sites in one place must be overwhelming, to say the least.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center

Puff

« Reply #12472 on: December 22, 2023, 04:12:24 PM »

Here they go again - I think they're having fun teasing us.

Two adult eagles sitting in a tree, by each other.  What tree?  HM and HD?

P
« Last Edit: December 22, 2023, 04:39:27 PM by Puff »

baziunc

« Reply #12473 on: December 22, 2023, 04:22:49 PM »

Well, I'm also getting close to the end.  Yesterday was the rough day - my poor old arthritic hands - made the traditional Italian fish salad.  (shrimp, lobster, clams, mussels, squid, whitefish, crab, calamari, pollock, soaking in lemon juice, garlic oil, clam juice, and for looking pretty sliced black olives, parsley, octopus).  The hard part that takes the longest and scrunches my hands is the crab, lobster, octopus which has to be broken into/opened up.  Lots of treatment today with warm water and ice filled dishcloths.  Note to self:  "New cracker and knife and scissors for next year."

Tonight is the oatmeal cookies, tomorrow the tassies, Sunday the cucidadi.  Easy peasy!

Monday?  Pig out on duck while O D ing on sports.

I had a friend drop by - briefed me on her open clients just in case - she's leaving January 8 - 24 for her own trip to Oman, Sri Lanka, and Bihar Uzbekistan - I share backup for her/her clients.  Anyway, I had to give credit to her for a fantastic card.  Front pic was of her and husband last February on trip to the Antarctic.  Bundled in appropriate layers, poles, floes and mountains.  Reminder:  Feb is summer at the Antarctic.  That was one super nice pic for remembrances.  BUT the card inside was awesome and inspiring - Huge sized print - Celebrate Jesus!       
Simple and to the point.  WOW

BTW she spent May at the other pole, Arctic Pole's summer.  Hubby said no; he passed on that one.

Enjoy all the celebrating, family, food, we got another year.  Be grateful for all we have and those with whom we can share.  Thank God, Thanks Jesus, Merry Christmas all.

P

Puff, wow!  All that yummy food you're making! I'm coming to your house!! I would kill for some of your Italian Seafood Salad!! You make it the same way as the italian Conch Salad I love so much, that I like to have along with a big plate of linguini with white (clear) clam sauce! Oh gawd... now I'm jonesing for it! And at least one glash of a nice Italian white wine to go with!  ;) :D  Hope your hands recover soon - please be careful. Hugs.  :-* Great stories of travels, cards, and such!  :)

My nephew (the father of my 2 sets of twin "greats") won't be all the way to the North Pole, but he will be close! ... He will be inside the Arctic Circle, in Norway, starting the day after Christmas. I can't wait to hear about his trip, and hopefully, see some of his pics!

Meanwhile, I'm dreaming of some of your Italian Seafood Salad, and ...
   ;D

« Last Edit: December 22, 2023, 04:24:29 PM by baziunc »

LisaG1967

« Reply #12474 on: December 22, 2023, 04:35:17 PM »

Puff - Oh my, you have been busy today with all of your cooking!  I think HM & HD are teasing us.  They are in the dead tree on the bluff.  RRP calls it bluff perch. 

baz - Jeff used this recipe for the peanut butter cookies. https://preppykitchen.com/peanut-butter-cookies-recipe/  I showed him your recipe.  He is saving that, he said. Love your Christmas night buffet memories.  I am a ham & potato salad person, too.  Jeff will eat it, but B & K...nope.

oldguy - Thanks for the explanation on the wreaths and trees.

kb - I sure hope the wreath you paid for made it to Scott. I'm sorry I didn't see your post earlier, but glad that BL found the answer for you!

tsk - I hope you have some help with the decorations at church, and you get to relax some.

kbshcb

« Reply #12475 on: December 22, 2023, 04:37:10 PM »

Hmm, I get the rationale and all but this has never come close to happening before.

I believe I read Arlington got all their wreaths and they have just a titch fewer numbers than we do.

A big snafu that if I can, intend to get to the bottom of as this is very embarrassing.  If Arlington and others can do it we can too.

I'm sure we've never laid wreaths through WAA on every grave in the past but this number is so low I can't hardly believe it.

To find out: Who is the Coordinator?...the coordinator would also be responsible for donations...and why if donations are down only on this, the first or second largest cemetery in the country? To find out yet is the Coordinator someone at the Fort Snelling Cemetery ie, the VA, or the Governor/State?
I only say Gov/state as he shut down the Cemetery during Covid and is a former National Guardsman.

Whomever/whatever this is not acceptable. Speaks very poorly for Minnesota.

Most embarrassing at the very last minute half of the 15000 were brought by the Patriot Guard out of California....

« Last Edit: December 22, 2023, 05:05:58 PM by kbshcb »

baziunc

« Reply #12476 on: December 22, 2023, 04:37:16 PM »

Have a good evening, Beakers.  :)

I let the time get away from me today... I spent too much time at my computer today  ::)  but I jumped up between posts here and dashed out the door for a quick walk... so it was only an 18-minute walk today, but that's better than none.  ;) :D  Off to do something with my frozen foods selection to turn into dinner...   ;) :D

Peace. SED, All.

baziunc

« Reply #12477 on: December 22, 2023, 04:48:17 PM »

Puff - Oh my, you have been busy today with all of your cooking!  I think HM & HD are teasing us.  They are in the dead tree on the bluff.  RRP calls it bluff perch. 

baz - Jeff used this recipe for the peanut butter cookies. https://preppykitchen.com/peanut-butter-cookies-recipe/  I showed him your recipe.  He is saving that, he said. Love your Christmas night buffet memories.  I am a ham & potato salad person, too.  Jeff will eat it, but B & K...nope.

oldguy - Thanks for the explanation on the wreaths and trees.

kb - I sure hope the wreath you paid for made it to Scott. I'm sorry I didn't see your post earlier, but glad that BL found the answer for you!

tsk - I hope you have some help with the decorations at church, and you get to relax some.

Lisa, I missed your post while I was posting... Thanks for sharing Jeff's Peanut Butter Cookies recipe:)  His look waaay more substantial and scrumptious than mine!!  Yum, I'm in line for some of his!!  :D

Good night again, All!
  :D

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #12478 on: December 22, 2023, 06:17:24 PM »

BL  Bet your friend was in heaven.  Expert surfer for sure.  Heard once that surfing off the north coast of Maui was also of expert level.  I just looks so dangerous a sport.. :o

OLDGUY   Very interesting from the retail perspective about fewer trees overall.  Maru is one crazy cat.

PUFF   GOLLLYYYYY.  Who is coming to eat that Italian meal - fish salad.?  I would think you would just have the top of the line cracker and scissors for a job you do every year. You just have to take care of your hands.   Does it take you all day?   Had to google cucidadi - Italian fig cookies. YUM    Cool card from your friend.  :)

BAZI   Is your nephew going on business??

LISA   We got some help this year from the men's club - The 5 church trees were up in no time( gym had 2) .  There are no men in the Art and Environment ministry but our leader put out a call for volunteers and about 5 guys including one of our deacons were there today!!!  She was amazed. ;D
Chicagoland

bggolden

« Reply #12479 on: December 22, 2023, 06:55:49 PM »

What a pleasant surprise. Thank you (tsk, Karen, Lani, Lisa, Phyl, Baz, Lori & Destini, Eagles 4, oldguy,  AND ANYONE THAT i MISSED), for the wonderful Birthday Greetings. It has been quite a year and is on the uphill again.  I read the Beak almost daily, but do not post. I enjoy reading all the postings and seeing all the information and the pictures.  I pray that you will ALL have a VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR.