Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beak Room 2023  (Read 471070 times)

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
Re: Beak Room 2023
« Reply #12450 on: December 22, 2023, 08:19:35 AM »

GOOD MORNING BEAKERS

LORI    Hope the injection gave you some relief?

EAGLES   Grandson day today - Special lunch too?  Hard when families live all over the country.  :(

PHYL   Boy your life sure would have been different in India had Jim taken that job.  But I think it would have suited you with your thirst for history/science.  Like the ornaments in the window this AM.  Beautiful Nativity. What are they made of?

LANI   Love snowys!

OLDGUY   Good shots from the concert.  No seat was a bad seat.  Too bad tho about getting to your seat.  Now you know what to expect in the future about the venue.    Chip Davis knew that not all advice is good advice  LOL   Those poor cats with the two boys    :o   That was a great Santi piece.  ;D

CLYNN   LOL  Told Ed 8 AM  LOL  It works tho.   Time will go fast with Mom and then kittens for the New Year  ;D ;D  Safe travels.

KAREN  I also have paper whites in my sunny window  ;D
« Last Edit: December 22, 2023, 01:59:10 PM by tsk34 »
Chicagoland

kbshcb

« Reply #12451 on: December 22, 2023, 09:04:40 AM »

Gordy Lindgren took this photo at the MN/Canadian Border..
Saying "Merry Christmas" to each other?
A Great Grey and a grey Jay...

Well, made an executive decision to wait till next week to visit gravesite....in doing so I tried to find out how long the wreaths stay up?..never found out for sure but thinking into January.
Furthermore, I read unfortunately they ran out of wreaths for a significant number of graves. Fort Snelling is one of or the largest National Cemeteries in the country with somewhere between 260-290 thousand graves. Number varies depending on which site you read.

They only at last minute had about 15,000 wreaths to lay. It will be interesting to visit when I go and very sad. I couldn't find the reason anywhere. So many sites are now pay-walled it doesn't help.

Fog/mist and rain in the area all morning was the determining factor.

Morning all.

LisaG1967

« Reply #12452 on: December 22, 2023, 09:30:44 AM »

Good Morning Beakers

karen - Mmmm, Cheddar Bay Biscuits and ham sound good.  I may have to put that bug in Jeff's ear and see if he would go for that. Love your Christmas tree in your morning pic.

tsk - I must have been distracted, too!  The sourdough cranberry walnut bread clynn posted sounds delish! 

tig - Glad to hear you got all your pruning done.

kb - I have been seeing those socks advertised, glad that you got a pair!

baz - Thanks for your Miracle Cookie recipe.  Good job on your walk.

oldguy - Thanks for the info on volcano.  Sorry about your seating at the concert, but glad you enjoyed it.

Lori - How are you feeling after your injections?

E4E - Aww, I am sorry to hear that your son won't be there for Christmas, but glad that you will have your grandson tonight!

Lani - Sending good luck wishes to Mike this morning! Aww, pups happy to see him.  What a pretty Snowy!

Phyl - Dinner sounds yummy for tonight.  Thanks for the 365, and RRP post.  Pretty Nativity from Cracker Barrel.

Puff - Morning  :)

clynn - Oh my goodness, the kitties are adorable!  I hope you have a safe trip to your Mom's, and you all have a MERRY CHRISTMAS
« Last Edit: December 22, 2023, 12:23:16 PM by LisaG1967 »

kbshcb

« Reply #12453 on: December 22, 2023, 09:37:07 AM »

Lisa - do you happen to know or even guess when the volunteers go back to retrieve the wreaths from our National Cemeteries?

BrokenLug

« Reply #12454 on: December 22, 2023, 09:49:09 AM »

Well, made an executive decision to wait till next week to visit gravesite....in doing so I tried to find out how long the wreaths stay up?..never found out for sure but thinking into January.
Furthermore, I read unfortunately they ran out of wreaths for a significant number of graves. Fort Snelling is one of or the largest National Cemeteries in the country with somewhere between 260-290 thousand graves. Number varies depending on which site you read.

They only at last minute had about 15,000 wreaths to lay. It will be interesting to visit when I go and very sad. I couldn't find the reason anywhere. So many sites are now pay-walled it doesn't help.

Fog/mist and rain in the area all morning was the determining factor.

Morning all.

Wow holy cow Kb I had no idea Fort Snelling National Cemetery was that big.

Probably a good idea to wait on your visit for nicer weather and I also assume the traffic around MSP is pretty brutal Today.

kb I found this info on their official web site, under Floral /Grounds Policy :

Christmas wreaths or grave blankets may be placed on graves from November 1st – January 20th. They will be removed after January 20th or when they become withered, faded or otherwise unsightly. Grave floral blankets cannot be larger in size than 2 x 3 feet. They cannot be secured to headstones or marker.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2023, 09:51:58 AM by BrokenLug »
U. S. A.

kbshcb

« Reply #12455 on: December 22, 2023, 10:03:57 AM »

Thanks, BL...I think next week after all the rain ends will be fine. It will just be colder but the traffic in and around the airport should be better mid week.

Yes, it's pretty sad how few of the wreaths were available to be placed. Plenty of volunteers, just not enough wreaths.....gad.

Seems plenty of time for us to visit.

And!...at least Mr. Tower is here visiting me!..perhaps channeling the soul of Scott is what tend to think.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2023, 10:17:41 AM by kbshcb »

kbshcb

« Reply #12456 on: December 22, 2023, 11:29:52 AM »

Last night a Coon Rapids Police Officer rescued an apparent injured owl and took it to the Raptor Center.

Wish they had described more of the reason why it needed rescuing but they didn't..

Glad I didn't go today. It continues to rain and mist...yucky day...so happy to report some good news.

BrokenLug

« Reply #12457 on: December 22, 2023, 12:55:33 PM »

https://raptorresource.org/raptorresource/forum/index.php?topic=2813.msg783382#msg783382

A pressure drop of 41.6 millibars in 24 hrs will do this kind of stuff.  :o  :o  ::)
https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2023/12/21/east-coast-storm-atmospheric-river/

This is what an epic Nor'easter/ Bombogenesis coastal storm looked like at the NJ shore.

https://www.surfer.com/trending-news/watch-the-biggest-waves-in-new-jersey-history

I've never ever seen waves like this on "our" shore and it was a wee bit chilly out there too.  ;D

My friend Mike from South Seaside Park, NJ was one of those idiots out there ..
"He said it was like totally wicked knarly out there dude"   ;)

« Last Edit: December 22, 2023, 01:13:25 PM by BrokenLug »
U. S. A.

karengramke

« Reply #12458 on: December 22, 2023, 01:20:19 PM »

Bl, when did this happen?

BrokenLug

« Reply #12459 on: December 22, 2023, 01:26:02 PM »

« Last Edit: December 22, 2023, 10:07:21 PM by BrokenLug »
U. S. A.

baziunc

• Queen of Decorah - April 10, 2016
« Reply #12460 on: December 22, 2023, 01:26:20 PM »

BTW- First thing I did this morning was check the live feed from the hatchery area.  Left last night with someone (don't know which) being followed around the area by the cam operator.  They did a good job of tracking as night started setting in.  But they did keep the eagle on cam as it settled in for the night (in what tree I don't know because of all the area that it covered before it settled down).

First settled down around 5 pm - I wondered how long it would stay.  Lo and behold, it stayed there all night in the same tree (again, where I couldn't tell).  That means it was there for at least 12 hours!  Making a statement?

Just checked at 6:23 am   -  Still there.  I'm going to follow the saga and watch as the area lights up.

P

Puff, thanks for that report! It's going to be fun to watch and see which BEs decide to nest where!  :)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center

baziunc

« Reply #12461 on: December 22, 2023, 01:38:13 PM »

Piper and I are having a coffee and geetting ready to do battle with ups!  Lol
Will have Paper whites in bloom for Christmas!

Karen, I hope you and Piper win the battle with UPS!  ;)  Oh, the paperwhites will be so pretty, and smell so wonderful!  Good picture!  :)

Clynn, return wishes for you and all your family to have a GREAT Christmas!!  :-*  Maybe you will be able to check in here sometime using your laptop at your mom's.

Lani, I'm wondering if Mike and Aly are having to drive through massive amounts of rain today - hope all goes great and they are home on schedule so Mike can rest and get ready to feel better, minute by minute. Hugs all around!  :)

Phyl, I remembered your picture of Jim and all the crew from a posting a while back. He looks the same.  ;) :D ;) ;)  Your dinner sounded like yummy warm comfort food.  :)

Oldguy, I hope you enjoyed the concert last night, despite the accessibility issues. They have quite a setup - lots of great images to go with their music! Will you have cards night this week?

E4E, glad you got some good rain. Hope you won't get too much too fast - so many folks in CA getting flooding and major problems from that. Have fun today with your Christmas time with your grandson!  :)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center

baziunc

« Reply #12462 on: December 22, 2023, 02:07:50 PM »

Thanks, BL...I think next week after all the rain ends will be fine. It will just be colder but the traffic in and around the airport should be better mid week.

Yes, it's pretty sad how few of the wreaths were available to be placed. Plenty of volunteers, just not enough wreaths.....gad.

Seems plenty of time for us to visit.

And!...at least Mr. Tower is here visiting me!..perhaps channeling the soul of Scott is what tend to think.

KB, so glad that injured owl was found and taken for help. Great picture of the beautiful owl and rescuer.  :) :-* :-*  Glad you're holding off on driving to Fort Snelling right now. I'm sorry about the wreath shortage at Fort Snelling. The National Cemetery here is much smaller, with about 5,000 graves, which all got wreaths from Wreaths Across America this year - several hundred people showed up here to place them on each grave, and for the special ceremonies that day.

I found this 2-minutes youtube video from a news broadcast in Minn. that reported on the reason for the shortage of wreaths at Fort Snelling this year, with info about where to find additional info at the end of the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEcUI2FT56I

Lisa, did I miss Jeff's recipe for his peanut butter cookies? They looked so similar to the ones I used to make, that I wondered if it was a similar recipe.  Your Christmas Day ham and apps meal sounds great! Yum!  :D  My mom used to put out sliced ham as part of a Christmas Night buffet at our house for all the immediate family, and some grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins - whoever all could come. It was a tradition at our house every Christmas night for all the years I can remember. She would put out a mixed selection of breads for people who wanted to make a sandwich with their ham - rolls, buns, small soft biscuits, etc., along with small bowls of mayo and multiple types of mustard for people to choose from. All pickup food for people to choose and help themselves to as they liked, including various app-type foods, like you plan to have. But my family seemingly can't eat ham without potato salad, LOL, so Mom always made a batch of that to go with it, for those who wanted it. When I was older, I made it a tradition to bring a bowl of chilled boiled shrimp and a bowl of my cocktail sauce to add to the table.  You're all going to have a wonderful time, and so extra special, too, being Sydney's first Christmas!!   :) :-* :-* :-*

BL, I'm so glad you and Pip and yours are safe and above any flood waters. I saw the pictures last night of the giant ocean waves at the NJ shore!!  Yowza!!  Many tears for the lost lives and their loved ones, and all the people who lost homes and property, or suffered major flood damage, in NJ, PA. NH. ME, NY, and other states in the northeast, from that record-breaking strong storm.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2023, 02:10:56 PM by baziunc »

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #12463 on: December 22, 2023, 02:14:42 PM »

KB   What a great photo of the owl and jay.  :o   Yucky day here as well - Drizzly and windy.  That is so sad about the cemetery wreaths.

BL  Was your friend actually surfing or watching??  Crazy waves - amazing.

BAZI  I love the type of buffet you used to have.  Anyone who does not serve a variety of mustards/horseradish with ham, doesn't understand ham.  It had to be served with potato salad at our family gatherings as well.  Baked beans didn't hurt either.   One gal for my girls party always brings a big bowl of iced shrimp with cocktail sauce. :)

Just finished putting up partial decorations at church for Xmas.  Sunday is still Advent so we will get the altar decorated between noon and 2 for the 3 PM and 5 PM and 10:30 Xmas eve masses - Crazy year for liturgy  LOL
« Last Edit: December 22, 2023, 05:53:39 PM by tsk34 »
Chicagoland

baziunc

« Reply #12464 on: December 22, 2023, 02:31:35 PM »

KB   What a great photo of the owl and jay.  :o   Yucky day here as well - Drizzly and windy.  That is so sad about the cemetery wreaths.

BL  Was your friend actually surfing or watching??  Crazy waves - amazing.

BAZI  I love the type of buffet you used to have.  Anyone who does not serve a variety of mustards/horseradish with ham, doesn't understand ham.  It had to be served with potato salad at our family gatherings as well.  Baked beans didn't hurt either.   One gal for my girls party always brings a big bowl of iced shrimp with cocktail sauce. :)

Just finished putting up partial decorations for Xmas.  Sunday is still Advent so we will get the altar decorated between noon and 2 for the 3 PM and 5 PM and 10:30 Xmas eve masses - Crazy year for liturgy  LOL

TSK, good golly Miss Molly!!!  You're doing so much! I hope you have some good help, and don't do more than your body should.  Hugs.  :-*  I know the vestibule and sanctuary there is going to be beautiful! Even though I grew up with the simple elegance of the Quaker Church (Society of Friends), I always loved seeing all the beautiful robes, vestments, and other special or sacred fabrics used in other churches and synagogues. I guess you're all going to have to work pretty quickly to get it all done before all the Christmas Eve afternoon and night Masses begin! Special thoughts and prayers for Amy, for her comfort, healing, and improved health.  :-*  You all take care.  :)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2023, 02:35:50 PM by baziunc »