Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beak Room 2023  (Read 470926 times)

camperstig

• "Hoo hoo hoo hoo!"
Re: Beak Room 2023
« Reply #6675 on: July 03, 2023, 04:08:36 PM »

drip...

Phyl... forgot to mention... thanx for posting blubirds pics. Luv 'em
camper'sTIG - South Central MN
Decorah follower since Apr 2, 2011
"May Bob now soar with the eagles and dive with the falcons. You've left a living legacy behind on the earth" (barbells126)

LisaG1967

« Reply #6676 on: July 03, 2023, 05:07:29 PM »

kb - I could not open your morning Twitter.

tsk - Your salads sound good!  Enjoy your BBQ tomorrow.

tig - Your way of eating the berries sound good too.   :D

Have a good night, everyone!

camperstig

• "Hoo hoo hoo hoo!"
« Reply #6677 on: July 03, 2023, 05:48:29 PM »

some bounce
Oh. Yum. I made chicken n dumplings for the first time... a meal my Mom would make often. For ease, I used a large can of savory chicken soup with wild rice and a small can of creamy chicken soup, Bisquick. Mom also used to make beef stew (made soft and yummy with a bottle of horseradish sauce) with dumplings. It was especially good when made in a cast iron pot over a campfire.
SED
camper'sTIG - South Central MN
Decorah follower since Apr 2, 2011
"May Bob now soar with the eagles and dive with the falcons. You've left a living legacy behind on the earth" (barbells126)

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #6678 on: July 03, 2023, 06:24:50 PM »

KB  Sounds like unless whoever your send it to is a member of Twitter we will no longer be able to open them?  We could keep trying as you thought it might be temporary?

TIG  I tried dumplings once  LOL  Will not say more.
Chicagoland

clynndunn

• For the love of Eagles....
« Reply #6679 on: July 03, 2023, 06:30:33 PM »

karen sent pictures of Piper!

tsk, your menu sounds very good (except for the dog burgers....  :o) Broccoli salad - yum! Have never had cold corn salad, had to look that one up! It sounds good except for the feta, wonder if one could use some other cheese...I remember flooding one year at my Grandparents, it was the Bon Pas Creek that flooded, Grandpa had to use a rowboat to go check on my Grandma's Uncle and Aunt who lived in a high area close to the creek. Uncle Albert was very 'professor-like', he wrote a column for the Albion Journal titled "The Bard of the Bon Pas', about old times and other things. Well, looks like I took a side road... but if you like, here is some more information on Uncle Albert: https://www.facebook.com/bonegap/posts/the-bard-of-the-bonpas-albert-m-walton-lived-southeast-of-bone-gap-near-bonpas-c/4454045541319129/

karen, my dear Grandmother was born on the Fourth of July, she would have been 109 tomorrow! My Grandfather passed away 30 years before her.... I miss them both, but I have a lot of memories...

Never lie, steal, cheat, or drink. But if you must lie, lie in the arms of the one you love. If you must steal, steal away from bad company. If you must cheat, cheat death. And if you must drink, drink in the moments that take your breath away. ~ Unknown

kbshcb

« Reply #6680 on: July 03, 2023, 06:37:35 PM »

https://twitter.com/i/status/1675616576257622016

Buitengebieden is the name of the twitter feed from the Netherlands that only posts what he calls the positive side of Twitter....only sweet and funny mostly animal tweets.

Yup, my guess is until things get sorted out?....you won't be able to see any of my re-tweets of his unless you are signed in to twitter..

Sorry...

karengramke

« Reply #6681 on: July 03, 2023, 07:49:52 PM »

Clynn, Was that a sears house?  There is a town with a lot of homes that were purchased through the catalog!   Notice this one did not have a bathroom.
Thanks for posring Pipers pictures!  She is now, sound asleep!
Very interesting!

baziunc

• Queen of Decorah - April 10, 2016
« Reply #6682 on: July 03, 2023, 08:08:50 PM »

HI EVERYONE

63 heading to 83  mostly sunny  Dew point 57

BAZI   Very interesting back story to the Asian small clawed otters.  Very prolific  LOL     Such a shame for Nascar - which I don't follow either.  BUT has been the news and in preparation for a year+ as it was the first time and all that it took to create the route etc  Traffic will now still be an issue until the breakdown and cleanup occur.

EAGLES  Long 4th weekend for everyone to find a time to celebrate  ;)

LANI   Yes I watched the series finale of Endeavor last night - Had to Google tho afterwards as I had questions about the end  LOLOL

PHYL  thanks for pics of the new BB family - Particularly like the new baby next to the parent to compare coloring

TSK, the parents of those baby asian claw-footed otters are 1 of only 12 captive breeding pairs in the world, if I recall that stat right from that article from my area aquarium. My area's aquarium is part of the int'l aquarium breeding org for them, in an attempt to save that species. It was exciting that they had a litter of 3 pups last year, and then another big exciting surprise when they had a 2nd litter of 3 pups only 9 months later! Their first litter of 3 pups (born last year) are the ones in the picture KB posted yesterday, and their 2nd litter of 3 pups were born just this past January, and made their public debut at the aquarium just a couple months ago. So the adult pair of otters here now have 6 babies they are teaching!! There was also a cute video with the one I posted, that showed them trying to learn to eat crawfish for the first time. LOL. Otters are so cute! The flooding in and around the Chicago metro area was pretty bad in places... always amazes me how many people will drive their cars right into heavily flooded streets, and then wonder why they get stranded and someone has to come and carry them out... reminds me so much of that movie, "Groundhog Day."  ::)  Hope your property and garden beds made out okay. I know the rain is needed there, but hate it came the way it did.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center

baziunc

« Reply #6683 on: July 03, 2023, 08:19:49 PM »

WOOT WOOT..........Raven was just adopted! 

All kitties in good homes!

DOUBLE WOOT ON YOUR DOUBLE WOOT!!  :D :-* :-* :-*  That's such great news, Lisa!!  :)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center

Eagles4evr1116

• Mom Decorah. Fan since 04/06/2011.
« Reply #6684 on: July 03, 2023, 08:59:37 PM »

We had a high in the low 70's today.

Lani - My mom is hangin' in there.  :)  Hope you and Mike have had a nice weekend - I know he leaves tomorrow for Ohio.  Safe travels. :)

Phyl - Yes, I know I am lucky & fortunate to have my Mom to share holidays with, and to see quite often, since she lives only 5 minutes away.  Love the bluebirds!!

Puff - So glad a bunch of you got some much needed rain!! ;D

Clynn - Thank you for posting link for the indoor grill you used last night to make some hamburgers!  It looks like a really nice unit!!    Thank you for posting for Sue Bruhling - love reading about the latest on DH2!
Love the Osprey pic at Boulder County Fairgrounds - very cute.

Kb - Nice that the flag was delivered.  Lucky you to have those Red Tails perched nearby!

LisaG - That is so wonderful that Jeff's cousin adopted Raven!  That is another kitten you will be able to keep track of! :)  Thanks for letting us know about Misty.

Karen - Hope your pt went well. :)  That is good that Piper is not bothered by the loudness of the Fireworks.
Happy Heavenly Birthday to your Mom  :-*

Tig - Glad you got some sleep last night although wish it were more than 3 hrs. ???  Yum! Chicken 'n Dumplings - did you like how it turned out?  I bet it was delish!!

Tsk - That sounds like a fun day is going to be had tomorrow!!  Fun to get together and a good meal too! ;D

Clynn - Love the pics of Karen's Piper! So cute!! :)   Amazing 'modern home'!! :o ::)    Happy Heavenly Birthday to your Grandmother tomorrow on July 4th

Beakers have a good night - SEDs

karengramke

« Reply #6685 on: July 03, 2023, 09:01:31 PM »

Baz, your informative post re the otters left me with questions.  How many of these delightful little animals will your aquarium  accommodate?  Do any babies have to be returned to a foreign land , like the Pandas?  What happens if their are too many to house there?   That is a very extensive area they are in and would look to be expensive to duplicate!
Thanks for the information.  Films were delightful!

oldguy

« Reply #6686 on: July 03, 2023, 10:10:12 PM »

Buitengebieden is the name of the twitter feed from the Netherlands that only posts what he calls the positive side of Twitter....only sweet and funny mostly animal tweets.

Yup, my guess is until things get sorted out?....you won't be able to see any of my re-tweets of his unless you are signed in to twitter..

Sorry...

KB and All

Here is some info on the Twiter login problem...
https://www.engadget.com/elon-musk-claims-twitters-new-login-requirement-is-a-temporary-response-to-data-scrapers-160041528.html

You do not have to have an account with twitter to login - you can login using your Google or Facebook credentials.  I use my Goggle account and have not had any problem today.
SE Iowa - Grew up within 40 miles of Decorah

baziunc

« Reply #6687 on: July 03, 2023, 10:16:22 PM »

Waving to All the Beakers!  :)

Karen, Hugs... sweet remembrance of your mother. Love the pics of Piper.  :-*  Glad she wasn't bothered by the thunder and more fireworks. I just saw your new post when I was trying to post this. LOL. I don't know the answers to all of your questions, but I found some more info about those otters at my aquarium. This breeding pair originally came to our aquarium in 2019. When their 1st litter of 3 pups were born in May, 2022, it was considered a breeding success for this species, and this pair of 1st time parents. From what I read, their pregnancies can be difficult to detect, and they often have stillbirths. And then they had a 2nd litter only nine months later, in January, 2023! They have just recently finished building an new and even larger area for them since the family expanded, and their expanded family moved into it on World Otter Day on May 31 of this year. They are part of the Association of Zoos & Aquariums (AZA) Species Survival Plan® Program (SSP). The mother otter is now 1 of 13 breeding females in the U.S. for this species. Apparently, at one time, she was 1 of 16 breeding females in the U.S. I don't know why the change in that number. The aquarium has a means of email contact, so I'm sure they would be happy to send you more info if you ask them. Here are 2 more brief pages of info about them here:
https://www.ncaquariums.com/ncaff-blog/posts/world-otter-day-celebration
and:
https://www.ncaquariums.com/name-the-otter-pups#ABOUTASIANSMALLCLAWEDOTTERS (about the newest litter-with 3-day old newborn pics of them, if you scroll up to the top when you load the link to this web page of pics and info)
Additionally, there is another 2-member family of Asian claw-footed otters living at this aquarium... a mother, Asta, and her son, Ray. Asta is 15 yrs old, and she has lived beyond her species' normal life expectancy. She recently underwent surgery for a uterine mass, and has recovered amazingly well! She apparently has a really sweet and special personality, and everyone was so happy for her recent good outcome, which you can read in this summary here:
https://www.ncaquariums.com/ncaff-blog/posts/asta-senior-asian-small-clawed-otter-undergoes-procedure?locale=en

Phyl, great pics of the bluebirds and their fledglings. They're so pretty, and fun to watch.

Clynn, I saw that news from the Millers about finding a healthy looking DH2 in that pine in the back of the Hatchery area! That was sweet news!  :-* I'm just hoping DH2 will somehow get re-united with her parents! That's what I'm hoping to hear soon. I would like her to get the expected parent-led Eagle College around the Hatchery before dispersal. Thanks for posting Karen's pics of Piper. Very cool about your Uncle Albert, The Bard of Bon Pas! Yep, those baby otters (not seals, lol) are so cute! I noticed that aquarium (not zoo, well, I guess it's a type of water animals zoo, lol) requires reservations now. I see that they now operate on a timed entry system, and they do sometimes have sellouts. That's new since the last time I visited - which was before the pandemic. I wonder if that reservations requirement started with the pandemic, and they are continuing it due to staffing, and to prevent overcrowding. It's a pretty small place, all in all, and we have a massive visitor/tourist population here during the summer!  P.S. Now that I think about it, when I went to visit my friend in Atlanta recently, and we went to the Atlanta Botanical Garden, we went in on timed-entry tickets. It must be to prevent overcrowding... I guess... which seemed to work out nicely.

Meanwhile:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dn5Pbug5nRw - "Crystal Blue Persuasion" - 1968 - Tommy James & The Shondells

Goodnight, Beakers. Peace and Good. Brotherhood. SED.

:-*

« Last Edit: July 03, 2023, 10:51:13 PM by baziunc »

baziunc

« Reply #6688 on: July 03, 2023, 11:15:38 PM »

Oh boy! Great news!! Yay!! More good news about DH2, from Glenn and Darlene Miller - with 3 new pics of her - one photo shows a red-winged blackbird standing on DH2's head!!!  ;D ;D  LOLOL!  :-*  Lots of good news about DH2 in this new post!

https://www.raptorresource.org/2023/07/03/dh2-out-and-about/ - DH2 – Out and About! - by Glenn and Darlene Miller - posted July 3, 2023:-* :-*

Thank you, Glenn and Darlene!  :D

Also, RRP said in that newest blog about DH2 today that RRP will be holding their fledgling fundraiser on Wednesday, July 5th! They said, "Come join our special chat and, if you can, help us keep our streams running and our research and education programs going!"

« Last Edit: July 03, 2023, 11:21:47 PM by baziunc »

Phyl

• Maggie lives in Nashville,Tennessee Music City USA
    • https://parler.com @Phylll
« Reply #6689 on: July 03, 2023, 11:40:45 PM »

Awe, an old blind dog gets a gentle massage....

I could use one of those Mr. Kitty.

Sweet!
Mr. Kitty is the Cat of the Week.
No prob with opening the link. But, I 'm a longtime Twitterer.
"Every new day begins with possibilities."
President Ronald Reagan  at  the 1985 Geneva Summit

#IstandwithEvan