Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Children's Eagle Book: Three Little Eagles and How They Grew  (Read 16376 times)

mjot

• Three Little Eagles and How They Grew:Jacob'sStory
Re: Children's Eagle Book: Three Little Eagles and How They Grew
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2011, 07:31:32 AM »

Today I'll present a program on the Decorah Bald Eagles, Norwegian Sea Eagles (also called "White-tailed Eagles") and Golden Eagles, in Minneapolis. The emphasis will be the Decorah family, with illustrations from my book "Three Little Eagles and How They Grew: Jacob's Story". There is quite a bit of interest in the program, so it will be fun to see how it goes. Books and the stuffed toy eagles will be available to buy, with the proceeds to be given to RRP. I'm looking forward to it because I have spoken to this organization before, but not on this topic. If you readers out there are looking for program ideas, consider using the book as a theme for a program.
First book on Decorah eagles: "Three Little Eagles and How They Grew!Jacob's Story"
8.5x11",softcover,43 pg.
100%proceeds now go to Friends of Fish Hatchery-Order: www.amazon.com or  www.eaglechildrensbook.com
All ages love Decorah eagle photos/story in book+plush toy BE:$12.95 each,$25 bk&toy

mjot

« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2011, 08:40:25 AM »

People are kindly letting me know their reactions to this book and toy, and this is much appreciated. Most of the comments are about the delight that children from age 2 to teenagers show in the book, but their parents, teachers, grandparents, neighbors and relatives are entranced with it, too.

There are ways that the book is being used that are very interesting. A gentleman who is 91 years old today told me yesterday that, with his near-blindness, he was able to read it using a special device at his assisted living facility. It took him three days. His five-year-old granddaughter and her parents from Alaska will be visiting soon, and he looks forward to sharing the book and toy with them. He is a retired patent attorney so he is interested in creative projects like the Three Little Eagles/Toy combination.

A woman who ordered a number of books told me that a group she belongs to will use them as door prizes at an event. Another woman said that she finds the book informative and entertaining for herself. A three-year old girl is tucking the stuffed toy under her arm and carrying it with her to the laundry room in her apartment building, among other places she goes with her mom and dad. (And, she has given it a name.)

Elementary teachers are using the book in mainstreamed classrooms, special education applications, phonics to teach "E" especially, observational skills, etc. It is a useful modality in one-on-one situations as well as groups.

In Minneapolis for a conference, a business woman took the book with her in her carry-on luggage to read on the plane returning home to Anchorage. She said, "It is so easy to fit it into my brief case." After she returned home, she emailed that she would be picking up her granddaughter from school and reading the book with her after school that day.

These are just a few of the comments, so far.

On another note, the program that I gave on the Decorah eagles, Norwegian Sea Eagles and Golden Eagles (11/8) was very well received. I enjoyed doing it and the response of the audience of 110 people was gratifying. When I asked how many had been following the RRP live camera, about 25 people raised their hands. Of the remainder, quite a few were unaware of it but very interested to hear about it, and the Three Little Eagles book. There were various contributions from audience members who had anecdotes about eagles from their travels or from the northern areas where they have summer homes, or winter homes in Florida.

Keep those letters, emails and phone calls coming. I love hearing from all of you and "getting to know you" in this way. It is really fun to hear about your learning experiences and pleasure in following the Decorah eagles. I find that we have a lot in common through this connection.

First book on Decorah eagles: "Three Little Eagles and How They Grew!Jacob's Story"
8.5x11",softcover,43 pg.
100%proceeds now go to Friends of Fish Hatchery-Order: www.amazon.com or  www.eaglechildrensbook.com
All ages love Decorah eagle photos/story in book+plush toy BE:$12.95 each,$25 bk&toy

mjot

Re: How to Order---Children's Eagle Book: Three Little Eagles and How They Grew
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2011, 08:03:14 AM »

EASY TO ORDER "THREE LITTLE EAGLES...." BOOK  AND/OR TOY:

EMAIL:  [email protected]
    or
CALL AUTHOR: 612.871.2236 OR 612.339.7829
    or
WRITE: PARK PRESS/THORSHEIM, 1455 WEST LAKE STREET, B-20, MINNEAPOLIS MN 55408-2648 USA

Checks, VISA or MasterCard

Information we need:
--shipping preference? (one book sent USPS First Class, more than one item Priority or Media Mail)
--book signed by author? and/or personalized to the person(s) who will receive it?
--shipping address?

BOOK: "Three Little Eagles and How They Grew: Jacob's Story" $12.95
STUFFED TOY EAGLE: $12.95
SET OF 1 BOOK & 1 TOY: $25.00

MORE INFORMATION AT: www.eaglechildrensbook.com                
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 08:10:03 AM by mjot »
8.5x11",softcover,43 pg.

mjot

« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2011, 01:23:36 PM »

More innovative ways the book and eagle stuffed toy are being used: for program presentations to groups; to donate to schools and school libraries; to loan to friends; for long-term care settings like nursing homes, etc. Many are enjoying the items in many settings. It is so gratifying to learn of the interest in "Three Little Eagles and How They Grew: Jacob's Story" that people of a wide age range are showing.

Gift purchases sent to buyers are being re-sent in many directions, criss-crossing the US. The hard work to get the book completed so that it would be readily available was worth the effort. From the first order from Texas in September, the sales have steadily increased. I hope that the volume will result in a fine contribution of the 100% proceeds from the first edition of the book. This is just one way that I can express my gratitude to RRP for what they have done for me, personally.

As always, all questions are welcome. Just leave a voice mail at 612.871.2236 or 612.339.7829, pm, or email [email protected]

----Mary Jo on a snowy afternoon in Minneapolis
8.5x11",softcover,43 pg.

mjot

« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2011, 01:32:08 PM »

Here is a family enthralled with their first encounter with the book and stuffed toy eagle. Dad likes it too! They picked up the items at the Park Press office in Minneapolis and mom took this picture with her cell phone. When she sent it to me, she said, "Use it in any way you like". So, here you go! The boy is 16 and the girl is 12. The plan was to get one of the stuffed toys, but it was very quickly apparent that they needed two. (They were visiting the US from Norway.)

[attachment deleted by admin]
8.5x11",softcover,43 pg.

Nora in IA

• Nora and Kiwi 2006 (King Plant, Bayport, MN)
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2011, 01:51:34 PM »

Oh how neat and great souvenirs to take home!  :)
NE Iowa

mjot

« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2011, 04:17:10 PM »

Nora, yes, great souvenirs. When the family started to drive away in their rental car, the toy was on the dashboard looking ahead. Then as they turned onto the main street, the eagle was waved back and forth in the rear window. It was both funny and touching. You're right: Bald Eagle symbol of America in toy and book form became souvenirs.  And, souvenrs that hopefully will be treasured and remembered for a long, long time.
8.5x11",softcover,43 pg.

mjot

« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2011, 09:02:26 AM »

Another story about people becoming engaged with the "Three Little Eagles..." book:
At a Christmas bazaar and breakfast on a snowy day in Mpls. yesterday, I met a young mother and her son. The boy who looked to be about 8 years old had gotten into his jacket, zipped it up, put on big ski-type mittens and his ski-mask/cap and came to get his mother while she was talking with me. He had had enough, he was ready to go!
But...when he saw the book, he began to look at it with his mittens on, then took them off. Then he pulled off the cap so he could see better. While turning page after page, he unzipped his jacket. It was really fun to see his interest, and I gave him the book, of course! Both he and his mom were pleased to get it, and she suggested that her son take the book to school with him to show his teacher and class.
8.5x11",softcover,43 pg.

mjot

« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2011, 12:51:51 PM »

You are certainly welcome!  Thank you for your very nice comments. It is so gratifying to know that the book and stuffed eagle toy are being enjoyed. What a day! First the good news about Chase results, and now your feedback.
It is appreciated.
8.5x11",softcover,43 pg.

mjot

« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2011, 01:23:45 PM »

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you I have "met" on the phone and all those sending emails and letters about the book. It is so good to learn to know so many warm and kind people.
8.5x11",softcover,43 pg.

mjot

« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2011, 11:57:07 AM »

Peggy--Ming, although we have never met, I feel that I know you through your postings on the various threads of the Forum. This posting about the Three Little Eagles book and your own observations from home and childhood reading is very special. I wish that a billboard could be put up on the highways to feature your comments! Thank you very much.---Mary Jo
8.5x11",softcover,43 pg.

mjot

« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2011, 12:04:20 PM »

Want to remind people that 100% of proceeds from this first edition will be donated to RRP. This is another way of expressing gratitude to Bob, Amy and others for their wonderful work. It has meant so much to so many!

Through the Three Little Eagles... book, RRP has actually received exposure to a new audience in the Upper Midwest. Last Sunday, November 27, WCCO-AM radio's popular nature program featuring naturalist Jim Gilbert promoted the book in a wonderfully positive way. (And such references are rare on this program that has been broadcast weekly for some 30 years. I have never heard a reference to a book other than one of Jim's, in fact.) During the past week, quite a few purchasers of the book who heard the program have indicated that knowledge of the Decorah eagles and RRP was new to them.

Mary Jo
8.5x11",softcover,43 pg.

mjot

« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2011, 08:02:25 AM »

What nice comments! Thank you very much. And, I note that you have been encouraging others of us working on similar projects, as well, so that is also appreciated.
8.5x11",softcover,43 pg.

mjot

« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2011, 03:26:38 PM »

Treetop, you made my day! Thank you so much for the wonderful feedback. Appreciate it very much.
8.5x11",softcover,43 pg.

Nora in IA

• Nora and Kiwi 2006 (King Plant, Bayport, MN)
« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2011, 11:40:44 AM »

???  Mary Jo, how long will your book be available?  I am probably going to need two more, but can't right now..................
NE Iowa