Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Children's Eagle Book: Three Little Eagles and How They Grew  (Read 16385 times)

mjot

• Three Little Eagles and How They Grew:Jacob'sStory
Re: Children's Eagle Book: Three Little Eagles and How They Grew
« Reply #180 on: December 19, 2015, 09:40:24 AM »

I posted the following on Forum on Dec. 17: (Actually, books have gone to Viet Nam, New Zealand, Canada, and many other places in the US and abroad, including Norway where a set of book and plush adult eagle toy when home with HRH King Harald and Queen Sonja after they visited the US the last time.) It's exciting to promote reading, interest in nature and in the bald eagle by getting the classic story of Decorah's eagle family out to many readers. A little boy in New Zealand ran across the room to his mother after their visiting US friend read him the book for the first time, excitedly saying: "Mommie, mommie!! That's a real true story!!" (Editorial comment from me: It seems kids are exposed to a lot of fantasy in books and electronically these days, so a true story from nature is quite a treat for them.) On the friend"s second visit, the little boy ran to her with the book as soon as she arrived at their door. She was thrilled that her previous gift to him still meant so much to him.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Re: Decorah Eagles 2015

? Reply #15040 on: December 17, 2015, 10:07:21 AM ?

Just talked with Brian Malaise head of Decorah Fish Hatchery and he wishes everybody Happy Holidays! We talked about this season with its new nest built on the foundation that Neil Rettig (do I have the spelling correct??) and others provided for M/D. Isn't amazing that they adopted it and took it further to its almost complete state? The engineering that the eagles do to construct a nest is fantastic, Brian and i agreed. By the way, he said that a woman from Sweden purchased four of the Three Little Eagle.... books to take home to Sweden when she returned. That is fun to know.
First book on Decorah eagles: "Three Little Eagles and How They Grew!Jacob's Story"
8.5x11",softcover,43 pg.
100%proceeds now go to Friends of Fish Hatchery-Order: www.amazon.com or  www.eaglechildrensbook.com
All ages love Decorah eagle photos/story in book+plush toy BE:$12.95 each,$25 bk&toy

mjot

« Reply #181 on: December 24, 2015, 08:50:19 AM »

Check sent to Friends of Fish Hatchery for recent profits (100%) on sales of Three Little Eagles...book.

Merry Christmas, everybody!
Mary Jo
First book on Decorah eagles: "Three Little Eagles and How They Grew!Jacob's Story"
8.5x11",softcover,43 pg.
100%proceeds now go to Friends of Fish Hatchery-Order: www.amazon.com or  www.eaglechildrensbook.com
All ages love Decorah eagle photos/story in book+plush toy BE:$12.95 each,$25 bk&toy

mjot

« Reply #182 on: January 16, 2016, 12:39:27 PM »

Kind words!

In a thank you letter for recent contributions of profits from the "Three Little Eagles...." book, Friends of the Decorah Fish Hatchery Treasurer Paul Berland included this much-appreciated comment (quoted by permission):

Thank you again for your support. Your book continues to inspire, educate and excite!
8.5x11",softcover,43 pg.

mjot

« Reply #183 on: February 26, 2017, 01:23:36 AM »

Another exciting eagle family season!
This story follows the development of events at the Decorah eagles' nest in a classic book. The 2011 season had almost a perfect outcome with three healthy eaglets fledged. I understand that it is somewhat special for eagle parents to even have three eggs (most pairs have one or two), not to mention having them all survive and develop fully without injury or incident before they left the nest as "full-fledged" beautiful birds. The one named "D1" is shown on her last day in the nest before her long, long flight to Hudson Bay!

In the story, the child Jacob tells the true story of the Decorah eagles in 2011. Most of the full-color photos are bright and some are  purposely muted to get the feeling of the time of day, the weather conditions, etc, Adults and children enjoy the story and the interesting information about eagles that is packed into this book. It is a fun and educational read.

At the moment (Feb. 26, 2017), there is an error on the amazon.com website for the book: it says only available from third-party vendors, but it should be available directly from amazon.com----we'll work on correcting that ASAP!  ~Mary Jo
8.5x11",softcover,43 pg.

mjot

« Reply #184 on: February 26, 2017, 10:48:27 AM »

Everything seems to be OK now on amazon source for Three Little Eagles. Amazon got right back to us, so that was great.
8.5x11",softcover,43 pg.

mjot

« Reply #185 on: March 22, 2017, 10:29:24 AM »

Want to share a wonderful note about books given to a couple for their grandchildren. I don't know them well and couldn't predict their response, so this was actually unexpected feedback that was very gratifying. I give away a lot of the books, but hope to increase sales so that the entire profit that is donated to the Friends of the Fish Hatchery can be larger again.

Received March 21, 2017

Mary Jo, so surprised by your generous offering of the two signed children's books! What an amazing story and beautifully written! We are eager to share this book with our younger grandchildren! The eagle photos are amazing themselves and truly enhance the overall story as it unfolds. We will definitely share with you our grandchildren's reaction to your amazing story in coming weeks.

Mary Jo thanks again for thinking of us and sharing this marvelous book!
8.5x11",softcover,43 pg.

mjot

« Reply #186 on: April 01, 2017, 06:39:07 PM »

Good luck on the t-shirt fund-raiser, RRP!
8.5x11",softcover,43 pg.

mjot

« Reply #187 on: March 31, 2018, 11:03:57 AM »

Remember to ask for the book at Luther College Bookshop in Decorah Iowa  and local Decorah bookstores. Also, easy to order on Amazon or from the author at new address:

NORWAY ART/THORSHEIM
913 E. Franklin Ave., #210
Minneapolis MN  55404
USA

Phone: 612.339.7829 or 612.871.2236

www.childrenseaglebook.com

NOTE: If ordering from the author, signed books at no extra charge--- and personalized or dedicated to a gift recipient on request. Happy to do that!
8.5x11",softcover,43 pg.

mjot

« Reply #188 on: April 08, 2018, 03:18:51 PM »

Be sure to remember the Three Little Eagles book as a way to interest people in bald eagles, especially children who are encouraged to read by the incentive of following Jacob's Story. And not least, what an easy way to support the Friends of the Fish Hatchery in Decorah, as they support the eagles who fish there and the visitors who come there to observe and learn. All proceeds to go to the Friends.

I hope the sales pick up with the excitement about the new family. The book has become a classic because of its documentation of the 2011 season that was very special and all the information it provides. Amazon had an error on the listing of the price: over $600! Imagine that price on a book marketed at $12.95! The error is corrected now, but it may have stifled a lot of sales, I fear.
8.5x11",softcover,43 pg.

mjot

« Reply #189 on: July 25, 2018, 10:18:24 AM »

Reading my own book over again (!), I am touched to see the references and photos of Dad in that classic year 2011. It brings back fond memories of the Mom/Dad partnership where they worked together in so many ways. A real team that accomplished so much, but not without discussion and disagreement at times, it seemed. They always appeared to keep going, share equally in their life's work of raising more eagles.

Mary Jo, author, Three Little Eagles and How They Grew
8.5x11",softcover,43 pg.

mjot

« Reply #190 on: March 23, 2019, 10:22:05 AM »

As we wait for anticipated hatches at Decorah nest, or for those people also watching other nests in other places where the eaglets are developing either ahead or behind "ours", now is a perfect time to catch up on the classic year 2011 at the Decorah nest through my small book. All profits go to the Friends of the Fish Hatchery, the important partner of the Raptor Resource Center, and of course the eagle family itself! An order from Pennsylvania came in this morning, so I hope that is an indication that orders will pick up now.

It seems everything was just about perfect in the 2011 season at the nest, and it is recorded in the book through the eyes of an imaginary young boy named "Jocob". One of the readers told me that I should say the book is not only for children, but for ages 2 to 92! I don't remember if she is one of the people who purchased the stuffed eagle toy for themselves, to enjoy standing near their computers, but she probably did that too!

Thanks, Mary Jo.
8.5x11",softcover,43 pg.

Nora in IA

• Nora and Kiwi 2006 (King Plant, Bayport, MN)
« Reply #191 on: March 27, 2019, 11:01:18 PM »

Good to hear your book is still available, still love mine. 
NE Iowa

mjot

« Reply #192 on: July 18, 2019, 03:49:06 PM »

Nora, your support is and has been, so encouraging. Thank you!

This is a note to thank all those listed on recent postings who asked about the Three Little Eagles book and stuffed toy eagle, wondering if it got into the auction. The grateful answer is Yes!, and with thanks to all of you for showing your interest. Amy put it up today, and Meg was the impetus to get it going! I will copy the email I just sent to the two of them so that you have the current status. Thanks so much, everybody! All the proceeds still go to the Friends of the Fish Hatchery (Bob Anderson's suggestion after they first went to RRP.). The book has become a classic, really, documenting that almost perfect year 2011 with the Decorah Eagles' family.  ~Mary Jo

Copy of email sent to Amy and Meg, minutes ago today July 18:

To you both! Amy, busy as you would be at this point, you took time to follow up on putting the Three Little Eagles book and toy online for the auction. Meg, thank you for efforts to get the ball rolling, along with your much-appreciated testimonial. This is great. I should have followed up earlier myself, but just wasn't able to do so.

I took a look at the posting on the auction and do appreciate the complimentary text and the idea of using the avatar (Meg's idea). Also, it is a good thing this all happened right now, because I checked the Amazon/com site for my book and found that a bookseller is offering the book for less and increasing the shipping price to more than double! After discovering this last night, and also finding that the correct ordering info was missing, I got in touch with Amazon right away with an urgent request. If I hadn't had the impetus of your help, I probably would not have discovered the Amazon errors until much later! So...thank you for your part in getting my focus on the book!
8.5x11",softcover,43 pg.

mjot

« Reply #193 on: May 07, 2020, 07:17:15 PM »

GREAT NEWS! Three Little Eagles and How They Grew is available on Amazon after a problem with the listing was solved. This now classic book celebrates a very special season at the Decorah eagle's nest when all three eaglets successfully fledged without accidents.  That was the year I started watching the live cam and I have been a faithful follower ever since. I love it! So much to learn about eagle behavior, eaglet development and nurturing by parents, nature in general. The photos in the book try to capture different times of day, seasons, and moods. It was a joy to write it, give proceeds to such a worthy organization, and "meet" the interesting people who have purchased it. One woman said: "You should advertise the book as being for ages 2 to 92. I keep mine by the computer for reference, and gave the other one to my grandson. He was thrilled!" The book encourages children to read, learn about nature, and the wonderful Decorah eagles! Raptor Resource Project has done a fantastic job with the eagle live cams and all the associated learning opportunities on the website.
""
8.5x11",softcover,43 pg.