Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beak Room 2024  (Read 127868 times)

Phyl

• Maggie lives in Nashville,Tennessee Music City USA
    • https://parler.com @Phylll
Re: Beak Room 2024
« Reply #3645 on: April 18, 2024, 06:04:04 AM »

The Raptor Resource Project

From Amy's blog...

Oh poop shoot! What is bird poop and how do birds poop?
 April 17, 2024  RaptorResource
https://www.raptorresource.org/2024/04/17/oh-poop-shoot-what-is-bird-poop-and-how-do-birds-poop/

"Every new day begins with possibilities."
President Ronald Reagan  at  the 1985 Geneva Summit

#IstandwithEvan

Phyl

#IstandwithEvan

Phyl

#IstandwithEvan

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #3648 on: April 18, 2024, 06:54:15 AM »

Cloudy - more rain later today - high 53

OLDGUY   I liked looking back at the original " We Can Work It Out"  ;D   Good band  :)    Miri is quite the tree climber  :o

PHYL   I know someone  - a doctor husband of a friend of mine - Same predicament.   He's on a fine balance of meds for both heart and kidney disease.  (((JIM)))  Special prayers for Jim and you too.    Blue Goose coffee - wonder what that tasted like?  LOL   Such architects - those woodpeckers   365    Hopefully one day Parkinsons will have a cure.  :-\
Chicagoland

kbshcb

« Reply #3649 on: April 18, 2024, 09:14:52 AM »

That's a baby eaglet under the debris by the woman's hand with red nail polish.

Story posted in DNR fb page but the nest is in Hastings, MN

2 of the 3 eaglets did die, but one was alive and taken to the Raptor Center in St. Paul MN

Story posted by Scott Northard:
Yesterday morning the Bald Eagles nest just north of Lake Rebecca blew down in the high winds. For the last 14 years, we have used a telescope to watch the nest out of our back window and have seen eagles hatch in all but 2 of those years. I had been watching it that morning and noticed the eggs had hatched and the adults were feeding some baby eaglets. When I looked again a short time later a large branch had broken and the nest was gone.
We immediately called Carpenter Nature Center and they said they would send some of their staff out to see if the eagle chicks survived and if they could safely transport them to the University of Minnesota Raptor Center. We met them at Lake Rebecca Park, and found the tree and what was left of the nest on the ground. We found 2 dead baby eaglets, and while we were listening, we could hear a tiny peeping noise. After digging through the pile of sticks and twigs, we found a third baby eaglet still alive. It was gently removed and put in a cloth inside a box and transported to the Raptor Center, with another eagle from Welch that was also rescued that day. The Raptor Center reported that the eaglet arrived safely and is under their care.
Although it was sad to see the nest go down in the wind and 2 of the eaglets die, we were grateful that one could be rescued. Hopefully, the adult eagles will rebuild the nest nearby and continue to raise more eaglets.
Many thanks go out to Jen Vieth, Al Maloney, Sarah Germscheid, Tess Zahradka, and volunteer Dwight Smith of Carpenter Nature Center for their quick and professional response! And thanks to the U of M Raptor Center for their dedication to rehabilitating these magnificent birds when they need our help. We are fortunate that caring groups like this exist in our community.

LisaG1967

« Reply #3650 on: April 18, 2024, 09:35:04 AM »

Good Morning Beakers

oldguy - Thanks for the videos, still love to see the Q-kids videos.  They are growing up!

Lani - Awww, love the sleeping pups. 

Phyl - Thanks for all the links this morning. Hope everything works out for Jim, and the doc can get him fixed up.  My brother had heart, and the same stage of kidney disease as Jim, but his kidney's were not functioning well.  He had to be on dialysis. 

tsk - We are dreary today.  I hope it clears up. 

kb - Oh my goodness!  Hope the eaglet makes it.

karengramke

« Reply #3651 on: April 18, 2024, 11:13:53 AM »

Good morning! 77 going to 84?   Humid!  Bedding wasked and in the dryer!  Will be ready for the help to put on the bed when she arrives!   May try to get a haircut.
Need a new drivers license and car tag!  The car is easy but am not sure they are going to let me drive! Will have to see!   Lol, that  ims the problem!  Seeing!
I wonder how many  nests fall each year!  I am thinking we do not want to know the answer!
Lisa, looks like an egg on the Decorah nest is uncovered and a pair of geese are on the y.  What is going on?
Phyl, I hope Jim will get the help he needs!  Did the Dr. comment on all the physical activity he does?   Nashville gets very hot and humid!
Hi tsk!
Lani, good sloth report!

LisaG1967

« Reply #3652 on: April 18, 2024, 11:22:09 AM »

karen - That egg in the N1 nest is from the goose who laid egg after MG & FG and goslings left nest.  This pair that is on nest ran that goose out of nest.  These two are quite noisy.  ;D

Lani

• All Things Bright and Beautiful
« Reply #3653 on: April 18, 2024, 11:54:44 AM »

Royal Albatross

Kia ora koutou (hello everyone) posted by Ranger Sharyn Broni

The new cam has been installed, thank you for your patience while we have been offline and while we have been unable to provide night viewing. We have been testing cam operations and will set presets for the cam ops this afternoon. We will, of course must wait till darkness to check out the InfraRed capabilities (visible to the cam but not the wildlife).

Toroa News

EDIT: Next week's weigh day will be on Monday 22nd April rather than the usual Tuesday.

LGK fed Top Flat chick at 1207 hours as the live stream came back online.

Weighing of chicks happened 20 minutes or so after the live stream came back online but Top Flat chick was a bit too nervous after the activity at the cam and had just been fed anyway. Risking losing a fresh meal does not benefit the chick.

Top Flat chick is 84 days old, the average weight for males at this age is 6.5 kg.

Last week's update: Top Flat chick is 77 days old and weighs 5.9 kg at 9.20am. This is just under average for this age and slightly down on last week’s weight. At 9.26am LGL came in and fed her chick. Rangers were well away from the area at this stage having already weighed the heaviest chick at Observation Post which recorded a hefty 7.5 kg.
This week the Observation Post chick was the heaviest chick again at 7.8 kg. A larger basket has been necessary for weighing of these large chicks.

Check the graph here: https://www.doc.govt.nz/nat...

Dad LGK feeding TF chick.

Dad LGK would later sleep between the two chicks

Dad WYL and his chick TFT

Good morning Beakers!
MorningKb, Tsk, Lisa, Karen, Oldguy, Puff, Eaglesrock, Emyrauld, Lilbro, Blschue, Lori, Clynn, Eagles, Tig, Baz, Phyl, Peep, Jaspurr, Pink, Jilltosa, BL, Eburg, Weasel, Ezee, Bggolden, T40, ssrl, Maxie, Nrstooge, Omasawyer, Paulie, jicaji, LB, and All!

Kb, prayers for the little eaglet

Lisa, I think Decorah is getting one too many geese. When they start kicking out other mama geese, it's going to be trouble.

{{{Phyl}}} I send prayers for Jim's healing and comfort, and for you too. Mike's older brother is going through the same thing as Jim, he's doing much better today, than two years ago. Lots of hugs coming your way. Thanks for links and pics.

Karen, I hope your help gets things done for you. Good luck with haircut.

Hi Tsk, Puff, Tig  :)

All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander

kbshcb

« Reply #3654 on: April 18, 2024, 11:59:44 AM »

Yes, Lani. What a rare miracle to find that very young eaglet alive...it is in good hands, I know this personally...must just have landed perfectly and somehow protected....

Took a walk with Ollie man and toe survived!..just a little pain on toe-off...otherwise healing well.
Ollie was very happy for me....LOL

Too chilly here for the rest of the week and a little into next week. So glad I got to so much spring pick up of the gardens already.

6 huge lawn care containers full and ready for pick up tomorrow am....first pick up of the season.
Will give me some "room" to continue next week when warms up.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2024, 12:01:32 PM by kbshcb »

baziunc

• Queen of Decorah - April 10, 2016
« Reply #3655 on: April 18, 2024, 12:37:45 PM »

Baz and All!  ;D

Parrotrotti! What a beautiful voice!  :-*

https://twitter.com/i/status/1780672401367355752

:-*
https://twitter.com/i/status/1780672896106446894

:D :D :D :-* :-* :-*  Thanks, Lani!! So cute - both clips! Cockatiels are excellent songtune whistlers!
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center

baziunc

• Queen of Decorah - April 10, 2016
« Reply #3656 on: April 18, 2024, 12:55:34 PM »

Howdy Beakers!  :)

I walked 17 minutes today... my time is lower recently due to hip bursitis on the left side a big bother the last few weeks, and a pesky riled up bum knee on the right side.  ::) Sheese. :P Maybe I will walk about the same amount of time again later today. We'll see. Heading out for grocery shopping now. BBL!  :D

((Take care, All!)) It's a great day!!  :)

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #3657 on: April 18, 2024, 02:15:21 PM »

KB      Great Lake Rebecca rescue.  None of that rescue would have happened if someone had not been watching that nest through the years.

LISA  Just finished spreading 10 more bags of mulch in the drizzle  LOLOL  In now and changed clothes and off to the grocery for a few things.

KAREN   I was thinking the same thing about how many times a nest falls and no one knows about it.  At least one baby survived.

LANI  Those close-ups of parents and chicks are so good.  The white is so white  LOL

BAZI  Glad you listen to your body.   Keep moving but just in smaller doses.  ;) ;)

A prayer please for Tim's cousin in Texas, who we found out this AM is currently undergoing brain surgery for a tumor - will do pathology.   Apparently Joe has been having headaches for a while now - passed off as "migraine" until so bad he went to Baylor and almost immediately  scan after scan-went into surgery.  The tumor was bleeding causing the headaches.  We pray that this is benign!!
Will likely get a text later today.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2024, 02:19:33 PM by tsk34 »
Chicagoland

Eagles4evr1116

• Mom Decorah. Fan since 04/06/2011.
« Reply #3658 on: April 18, 2024, 03:38:47 PM »

Karen- Glad to hear your doctor's office will be calling you to schedule the date.  Hope you get in soon!    Good luck with your driving/vision test!

Tig- Thank you for nice compliment! :)   Good for you in how well you are getting used to the Monitor. {{Tig}}

Tsk- Yes, we had a good evening with family  :)   Wonderful encouragement you posted for Tig!     Thoughts & prayers for Tim's cousin in Texas.  Thank goodness he finally went to Baylor.  Wishing him all the best. {{{Tim's cousin & family}}}   Please keep us posted.

Kb- That is quite a scary story you told of getting stalked years ago.  Thankfully you had Brenda who was so helpful to you on that scary day and on the other occasions you mentioned. 
Grateful for the help that arrived for the nest that had gone down and that they found one eaglet still alive (so sad they all didn't survive), thank you so much for the folks that made this rescue!!   Thank you Kb, for posting picture too.

Og- Thanks for the great links!  One of my favorites is always the Quarantine Kids  :)

Phyl- Re; Jackie & Shadow; thank you for the hug and I'm sending one right back to you.  Hard to know why all 3 eggs did not hatch, I watched everyday just hoping at least one would, but it wasn't meant to be.  They sure didn't give up on their precious eggs for the longest time tho. :(    Okay Phyl, just read that it is a 'Nephrologist.  I wish all the best for Jim.  {{Jim & Phyl}}

Lani- Royal Albies looking good!! Bet the new Cam is great!

Baz- Good for your walk today!

LisaG, Bl, Lori, Clynn  :)

camperstig

• "Hoo hoo hoo hoo!"
« Reply #3659 on: April 18, 2024, 04:56:06 PM »

some bounce

((( TSK/Tim )))

Ouch. 3.5 hrs. scraping and picking helicopter seeds out driveway expansion joints and then washing. That was after I sharpened the lawnmower blades and swept the garage.
Settling down with a hot lemonade with honey, orange pepper and roasted garlic hummus for lunch.
Camper went to take senior pictures for a young man at his daughter's/ grandson's school. I'm assuming the family could not afford to hire a photographer.... ? He was the only one who had not turned in pics for the yearbook. Nice of Camp to offer his services.
SED
camper'sTIG - South Central MN
Decorah follower since Apr 2, 2011
"May Bob now soar with the eagles and dive with the falcons. You've left a living legacy behind on the earth" (barbells126)