Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beak Room 2024  (Read 221308 times)

kbshcb

Re: Beak Room 2024
« Reply #690 on: January 19, 2024, 03:40:22 PM »

There's no danger from the 100 year old "cured" wood planks what so ever.

But if you ever strip it, sand it or cut it I would still put a mask on.   8)

Noted...would never do, but still noted. Thanks.

Thanks on the info of my across the street tree pruning.
My concern comes from this context: They are not arborists. The trees were planted originally by sub-contractors, Bachman's nursery in fact. In the past my city so called tree guys have made errors.
It seemed like an awful lot of removing, but I will cross my fingers and hope for the best.
I couldn't reach my hose to water them myself. If it reached, I would have.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2024, 03:42:57 PM by kbshcb »

BrokenLug

« Reply #691 on: January 19, 2024, 03:55:05 PM »

kb the fact that those 'new' trees across the street survived the drought without any assisted watering is a good sign.

"lollipopping" the younger tree's in the winter will give the trees there correct canopy shape when they get older.

On the lower branches of a hardwood tree the general rule of thumb when pruning is any branches that go straight out or are hanging down get pruned off. 

The water and sugars that come up the main trunk go to the main canopy and are not "drawn off" by the hangers, suckers and straights. If that make sense.  :)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2024, 04:00:00 PM by BrokenLug »
U. S. A.

kbshcb

« Reply #692 on: January 19, 2024, 04:09:29 PM »

kb the fact that those 'new' trees across the street survived the drought without any assisted watering is a good sign.

"lollipopping" the younger tree's in the winter will give the trees there correct canopy shape when they get older.

On the lower branches of a hardwood tree the general rule of thumb when pruning is any branches that go straight out or are hanging down get pruned off. 

The water and sugars that come up the main trunk go to the main canopy and are not "drawn off" by the hangers, suckers and straights. If that make sense.  :)

makes total sense to me..Scott used to tell people to cut their suckers off their tree and threaten to do it himself. Not our trees. Neighbors.

I probably should cut one straight out branch of my Maple in my front yard...it runs to my roof..not there yet. Scott's boss cut off many lower branches of it early on. After Scott was catastrophically injured at work. One is left...
I just am conflicted between privacy and health of the tree I guess....My maple is now 20 years old so not so young, LOL
« Last Edit: January 19, 2024, 04:12:16 PM by kbshcb »

BrokenLug

« Reply #693 on: January 19, 2024, 04:26:09 PM »

I here you. A lot of people don't want "prune up" their trees because of the view shed aspect of them, but in the long run it's better for the longevity and health of the tree.
U. S. A.

Phyl

• Maggie lives in Nashville,Tennessee Music City USA
    • https://parler.com @Phylll
« Reply #694 on: January 19, 2024, 04:56:40 PM »

Aly ...

...many happy returns of the day and all year long!  All the best.
"Every new day begins with possibilities."
President Ronald Reagan  at  the 1985 Geneva Summit

#IstandwithEvan

kbshcb

« Reply #695 on: January 19, 2024, 05:14:41 PM »

I here you. A lot of people don't want "prune up" their trees because of the view shed aspect of them, but in the long run it's better for the longevity and health of the tree.

I re-looked at that branch I spoke of and in fact it isn't perfectly straight out, but rather it inclines up to the sky but heading towards my house.
I've been trimming off lower hanging branches off it as I mow...
Ultimately, I'll have to make a decision when it gets closer to the house.
My maple, fortunately, is very healthy, knock on wood.
Scott wrapped the trunk for the first several years/winters...and it has been pruned...it's just the one branch I'm hesitant about as it heads towards the roof
I do love her though.

and, Privacy is very important to me...for obvious reasons and when I bought my house many trees obscured the apt. complexes across from me.
My row of arbors were younger, fuller, and not yet eaten by rabbits, nor injured by ice.
Eventually, I will have to decide about them.
I'm hoping to die in this house so hopefully all of it will survive till much later!

Phyl

« Reply #696 on: January 19, 2024, 05:19:22 PM »

CLynn  good that you're  driving---LOL  your nose is in the way.  Ditto on complaining about your eye---the human body is highly adaptable.  ;)   Stephen King, ahhhh 'Pet Sematary' pitty that cat.     LOL  Bob Ross.

Tsk[/b] glad to hear Tim is better/rested; I've heard and used both---'overnite' and 'train case'

Lisa it's my understanding---stained glass. A sleep over in the 'horsepistal'  can be fun. Esp when , after midnight, the nurses turn the hall and nurses station light  so low it lends an etherealness to area.  ;D   We got more snow today--darn near covered the first snow fall /tracks over

KB LOL bear video

Tig   :)

Puff relieved to know your bros were good to you

Lani LOL adventure pilot  dog

BL  wonderful human interest story with the dog rescue hats off to Officer Bennetts

#IstandwithEvan

Phyl

« Reply #697 on: January 19, 2024, 05:36:24 PM »

Have had a huge pot of chilli  on stove top all day. Gonna be  ;).    Shredded iceberg lettuce w/a big dollop of guacamole in center and ranch drizzled all over. Our fave tortilla chips---Jim a brew and me some Sangria.
All most caught up on my reading---almost.

Good Night Everyone...
SEDs...sending 🙏 's to all .
Keep warm and stay safe.

#IstandwithEvan

Puff

« Reply #698 on: January 19, 2024, 05:45:44 PM »

Lani - I too had a big smile at clynn's digging out of the welcome mat.

P

Eagles4evr1116

• Decorah follower since 04/06/2011.
« Reply #699 on: January 19, 2024, 06:08:16 PM »

LisaG - Hope your FIL procedure went well today.  Sending hugs for all of you.     You sure are getting a lot of snow - great picture!!    Just read that your FIL's procedure was postponed due to weather.  Thank you for letting us know!
Tsk - Hope Tim is feeling a little bit better today.    I too have a 'mychart'. I have the results, but a note from my Doctor says we will go over the results at my next appt which is in March.  Having mychart is pretty awesome! :)
BL - what you said to Karen! Lol ;D
Lani - Cute night pup & kitty!
Phyl - Like your Friday gifs!   Brrrr Swiss Alps in Nature 365!  Gorgeous photo of BE!  Darling little hummer brooding in her nest. :-*
Clynn - Cute pictures & gifs!     Stephen King is a great writer! Wow, you must have quite a nice collection of hard cover books. :)       With your exceptional attitude, I would bet that you will do the best that is possible {{{Clynn}}}    Wow, good picture of your snow!!
Puff - Awe, I didn't know you've had 3 siblings pass on already. So sad to hear that. :o :(   It is wonderful how you keep adding to your bucket list! ;D

Something came up!  BBL! 

Eagles4evr1116

• Decorah follower since 04/06/2011.
« Reply #700 on: January 19, 2024, 06:16:31 PM »

Happy Birthday Aly!

BrokenLug

« Reply #701 on: January 19, 2024, 06:23:47 PM »

Lani forward to Aly our Happy Birthday best wishes.  :)

Has she kept her power on during the dreadful OR weather I've been hearing about  ?
U. S. A.

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #702 on: January 19, 2024, 06:37:08 PM »

BL   Thank you for educating me on black walnut - I stand corrected and knew I went to the right source for the answer..  I had been misinformed.  Had no idea it was so toxic.  Glad Dad didn't get the inclination to do anything with it other than the nuts.    I never knew that about how branches are trimmed.  Our city is big on tree trimming, I will need to watch next time.  You are a wealth of information.  Thanks

PHYL   Chili is perfect for tonight.  I should make some but just finished two batches of chicken soup  LOL
Chicagoland

BrokenLug

« Reply #703 on: January 19, 2024, 07:35:49 PM »

LANI/PUFF  Don't laugh.  I had thought the same thing - It could be $$$$ walnuts.  Wonder what would happen if they had those cut down ( a shameful task) and sold the lumber.

BL  How much would the black walnut be worth ?- see post above this.

Unfortunately Nada Tsk.

Tsk you really can't sell the lumber from a Black Walnut tree because the saw dust is toxic to animals and humans.
You can use a home wood mill, but you still have to be very careful around that saw dust. 

Lumber mills won't touch it because they usually sell all the saw dust to various places for various uses.
Again it is also toxic to the mill workers so they just don't want to deal with it at all.

We took down one of the last dead Black Walnut trees in our area in the mid 90's.
https://www.invasivespeciesinfo.gov/terrestrial/pathogens-and-diseases/thousand-cankers-black-walnut-disease

Even using chainsaws out in the open air we wore face masks and goggles while cutting it up.

My friends father had a home wood mill and he took two 8' lengths of the main trunk to mill into planks.
He made some kitchen cabinet doors for his wife after the wood had cured/seasoned for a couple of years.

They were absolutely stunning BTW.  :o

Unfortunately he forgot my warning about working with the B.W. wood and got sick as a dog after sanding it without a mask on after like 3 years of it being felled.   ::)

His son, our friend took the bottom round -or- flush cut of the tree (about 2 feet high x 3 feet round) and made a salad bowl on a wood lathe from a 'hunk' of it for my Mom.

With the warning don't ever put real salad in it or ...   ;)   :(

I still have it. I'll post a pick of it later if I can dig it out. :)

The totally dead Black Walnut Tree that we cut down in Montvale, NJ in 1993 was in the back yard of the family's home for over 70 years they told us. It was about 60 ft high with a classic canopy shape for it's type from what we could tell from the skeleton of it's former self.

http://texastreeid.tamu.edu/content/TreeDetails/?id=52

It was near their deck so it had to go as it was coming apart badly and was a safety issue.
They and us were sad to see it go.
But some of it's main trunk wood went to good use as I mentioned in my previous post. 

I found out years later that Pete my friend made from the Bottom Round 3 salad bowls and a handful of custom rifle stocks that he made good money on.

One bowl went to my Mom, one went to his Mom and the other one went to ..
This is what I found out many years later ..

Pete had found out somehow where we had taken the tree down from and gave the last bowl to the Mom of that house and he said she cried because her father had planted the tree before she was born and as kids she and her siblings used to play in a tree fort that he made for them in it.

She said to Pete that she felt like he had just handed her back a piece of her Father. The circle.

Trees are like giant old souls that see everything and only speak their wisdom when the wind helps them express it. 

I hated to take a tree down unless it was absolutely necessary.
I don't do tree work anymore myself because it's a younger man's than I's dangerous occupation.
I'm very happy that I lost no digits nor appendages during the years I did it.
Chainsaws, height, rope and wood chippers don't give you boo boos.  :)

That exact Black Walnut tree still lives on long after peeps thought it was gone.

The holes and black stain on the bowl are the rust stains from the iron nails that held fast that 1st wrung up to that tree fort.

:) 
« Last Edit: January 19, 2024, 08:30:04 PM by BrokenLug »
U. S. A.

baziunc

• Queen of Decorah - April 10, 2016
« Reply #704 on: January 19, 2024, 07:50:34 PM »

Happy Day Beakers!  :)

I have 36 pages to read to catch up on the news in The Beak!!  Oh my... when will I get to do that?  I hope all are fine.  :-* Fingers crossed for all!  I'm just stopping in to say hello.  I will try to read a few pages of posts tonight. I don't know how much I will get to catch up on though.  I know I have missed birthdays. I wish a happy belated birthday to all I missed!  :)

My "greats" have been having lots of winter fun - learning to ski in Steamboat Springs, CO, and making snow angels in their own front yards, and such. Lots of fun to go around for all.

Zippo and I are well. Zippo is enjoying improved health - better than in a long while. She had a significant health scare a couple of years ago, and it has taken this long to see her overall recovery - as much as she has been able to at her senior age. She is enjoying significantly improved overall health. I'm so glad for her.  :-* :-*

I am still walking, though I didn't walk Wednesday or Thursday this week. I walked 39 minutes today. It was a gorgeous warm day here today. Much colder temps are coming in tonight, and over the weekend, before a major warm-up mid-week this coming week. I follow the weather across the nation, and in many countries, so I am aware of the wild swings and severe weather many are enduring. ((Take care, Beakers!))

I have been busy, NOT at my computer, and that is why I am so far behind everyone's news here. I am sitting down now to try to catch up a bit. But it will take me a while to read all I've missed.  I have to say that it has been a bit liberating not sitting at my computer for hours each day, but I have missed knowing what has been going on with everyone here. I hope you are all okay, and I will be reading, bit by bit, to catch up on all the news here,

Take care, All.
  :-*
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center