Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beak Room 2024  (Read 546137 times)

Puff

Re: Beak Room 2024
« Reply #675 on: January 19, 2024, 11:14:08 AM »

And a howdy back to you Lisa.  Stay warm - Enjoy!
Morning too to you tsk Tim

tsk  clynn I called mine a carryon; and suitcase too, both white.  However, last 40 years at least - It is now nada, nothing do I carry on but me and purse. Unless it's more than 3 hours, then I might carry reading material.

Bummer! Lisa. . .Hope your next appt goes smoother.  Waiting is not good.

OK - Story time!

Went to Hawaii Island for conference/meeting.  Connected through San Francisco.
Leaving plane in SFO, patiently waiting my turn out, the anxious yo-yo in front of my row of seats pulled down his overhead case and clipped me in the cheek.  Didn't think it hit that hard, but a small spot of blood on my lip.  On connection, longer leg, food offered.  First bite into sandwich and piece of my tooth fell out.  Idiot!!! Not the sandwich - the yoyo.  Not a virgin tooth; it had already had a root canal.  No pain, bleeding stopped before we landed in Kona.   Got to KOA room about 11 p.m. First thing always is call the travel insurance people.  Knew I was dealing with a newbie because it was now about 3 a.m. on mainland time.  Nothing to be done until back to home. 

My dentist has tried for maybe 10 years working to save that tooth.  Now it has been coming apart by the piece.  Had an appointment for extraction in July.  But, darn it, because of my ER trip and stay at Good Sam, and mostly because of medications, that had to be cancelled for 6 months.  It also has been delaying work on my hip.  Had dental appt scheduled for end of December, but I got that bad/nasty/ugly 3-week cough.  At least the extraction is now rescheduled; January 29.   Hallelujah - and soon to be Amen

clynn  $2.5 million = must be very expensive walnuts.   ;D

P   
« Last Edit: January 19, 2024, 11:41:24 AM by Puff »

Lani

• All Things Bright and Beautiful
« Reply #676 on: January 19, 2024, 11:54:29 AM »

LOL Puff! Expensive walnuts!  ;D ;D ;D
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander

Lani

• All Things Bright and Beautiful
« Reply #677 on: January 19, 2024, 11:55:42 AM »

TGIF Beakers!
Morning Emyrauld, Lilbro, Blschue, Lori, Clynn, Tsk, Lisa, Karen, Oldguy, Puff, Eagles, Kb, Tig, Baz, Phyl, Peep, Jaspurr, Pink, Jilltosa, BL, Eburg, Weasel, Ezee, Bggolden, T40, ssrl, Maxie, Nrstooge, Omasawyer, Paulie, jicaji, LB, and All!

Thank you Tsk, Clynn, Kb and All for Aly's birthday wishes!  :-*

Hi Eagles, karen, BL, Baz, Tig!

Kb, love the bear!  ;D ... you and Ollie take care.

Lisa, where did your snow come from? Sorry about your FIL having to change appts.  :(

Tsk, glad Tim feels better....

Puff, you truly can't beat  your fav 89/89A. We've driven I-70 from one end to the other. I know that interstate by heart.... No matter where we've driven checking out Mike's road jobs, he's always stopped at the historical markers for me... I'm a Louis and Clark fan, and I would love to follow their expedition route. I enjoy your reminiscing thanks for taking us along on this memory trip. I went through what little photos I have of my childhood this week. Our family didn't own a camera at least I don't remember having one available. But, I remember my stepdad borrowing a polaroid or buying disposable cameras for special days, like birthdays, and such. Take a pic and print it.

Clynn, love your morning pics... the best pic is your welcome mat! Even though there's 3' of snow, your welcome mat is inviting to all! Brrrr it looks cold at your home. I need more coffee!  ;D.... your posts about your eye and how to deal with it, will be so helpful for others that may not have the ability to share their own concerns...  Mike sends best wishes too... when Mike's granddad died, we found 2 large wooden crates filled with old black walnuts in his basement. LOL!  ;D ... great looking home over 2mil! Homes in our golfing community are now going for sale between 1.5 mil and up! That's shocking to me. When we bought our home here in 2013 a 4000sq home right around the corner from our street was going for 900,000+ and sat on the market two years at that price, now it's going 2.5mil..... Geez, we thought the $900 was too much! It does have a 360 view at higher elevation and all the bells & whistles. But still too much....

Phyl Beautiful Flyaway cam and Aryana pics.... big storm on nature video.... thanks for science article. I need to read that when my brain is awake.
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander

LisaG1967

« Reply #678 on: January 19, 2024, 12:53:24 PM »

clynn - You have quite alot of snow.  Beautiful house on Ashworth Road. 

kb - It is definitely easier having a cat when it is snowing, especially if it is an inside cat.  I remember the days, when we use to have to go shovel out a path in the backyard for the pups to go potty.

tig - I bet that balmy 86 felt good.

Puff -  Good luck on your extraction on the 29th!

Lani - I do not know where all this snow came from, cause BL surely didn't tell me it was coming, or did he?  It started snowing around 5am, and it is still coming down. 

BrokenLug

« Reply #679 on: January 19, 2024, 01:17:25 PM »

I only started my travel forecast for you on the 21st.    ;)     :P

Here's today's forecast ...   ;D

https://www.weather.gov/phi/winter

U. S. A.

kbshcb

« Reply #680 on: January 19, 2024, 01:26:13 PM »

Okay, BL

Mr. Arborist man!...glad to know. in 2019 I asked the city to plant some trees across the street from me.
Reason: A 2002? or so storm took out so many trees and they didn't replace them thereby creating a very hot street.
They did so in 2019 in May...right around my birthday I remember....7 or more young trees planted. Locusts, cherry, and more.

Today I just watched the city pull up and trim many lower branches of these "young trees" that are doing just okay since our multiple year droughts of the last 3 or so years..but they are still alive.
For me, it creates also a buffer from viewing apartments that used to have trees and I was so happy that they were planted.

I doubt they are arborists, but rather "forestry" city employees that are told what to do.

For me, I read as much as I could and the advice was all over the place. They didn't remove dead branches but just healthy lower ones, thereby creating less privacy and I do wonder about the health of doing so much. Wasn't more than 1/3 of the tree but close.
The apartments nor city didn't put water bags around them when first planted, nor watered them but some how they all made it.

although I know winter is best for pruning most and cutting down trees, I am concerned for these young trees.
What say you?
Of course I know I didn't provide probably the info you need. But, in general I see it's a good time to do it, but the amount of cutting by NON Arborists concerns me.

These trees were only planted because of me. I consider them "mine"...LOL

camperstig

• "Hoo hoo hoo hoo!"
« Reply #681 on: January 19, 2024, 01:43:38 PM »

some bounce

(( Puff ))
KB "Get off my lawn" LOL I would consider them my trees too! Good for you...

I heard about this today and ordered a copy for my step daughter family and one for their school library. 
https://kstp.com/special-coverage/minnesota-live/joe-mauer-talks-new-book-the-right-thing-to-do-the-joe-mauer-story/

TTFN
camper'sTIG - South Central MN
Decorah follower since Apr 2, 2011
"May Bob now soar with the eagles and dive with the falcons. You've left a living legacy behind on the earth" (barbells126)

BrokenLug

« Reply #682 on: January 19, 2024, 02:05:27 PM »

U. S. A.

kbshcb

« Reply #683 on: January 19, 2024, 02:09:53 PM »

Great job Officer Kammeron Bennetts and RUBY !     8) 8) 8)

https://apnews.com/article/michigan-man-rescued-frozen-lake-dog-helps-a5a5bba115383eb5fd002a0029012eca

How creative and on the spot thinking....yes, Ruby, you deserve a steak tonight!

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #684 on: January 19, 2024, 02:14:42 PM »

LISA   I'm now due for some tea - as your picture reminded me - and sit with my next puzzle.  Finished the 4th last night  LOL   More snow for you  ;D  Do you even have a shovel?  LOLOL

CLYNN   We only had 2 additional inches this AM so easier to snow blow.  You have some good size piles in your pics.  That is one very modern home.  Imagine that pool when you can't even use it all year long.  I could never figure that out in the Midwest.  Best not Swiffer your floors in that house in your "birthday suit" despite the trees all around  LOL Yes the black walnuts are an acquired taste.  Worth a lot of money tho...Their roots kill a lot of other plantings if too close.

KB  Guess we could change it up and have the attitude of that big bear if we ever see ourselves down on the ice - like pretend that is what we were going to do anyway  LOLOL    Cool rescue with Ruby

PUFF   You need to write a book..... 8)

LANI/PUFF  Don't laugh.  I had thought the same thing - It could be $$$$ walnuts.  Wonder what would happen if they had those cut down ( a shameful task) and sold the lumber.

BL  How much would the black walnut be worth ?- see post above this.

LANI  My Dad had a pipe like that  ;D ;D

TIG   Great video.  Nice for you to order it.
Chicagoland

LisaG1967

« Reply #685 on: January 19, 2024, 02:49:28 PM »

tsk - I had to literally "laugh out loud" at the "Do you even have a shovel?"  We have shovels, but I don't shovel.  I might not do it right.  ::)  ;D  Jeff is on his way out the door after he eats for his third time today to shovel, and will clean off the cars again. It looks like we got a good 4 to 5 inches.

BL - Thank you!  I guessed pretty good, cause your map says 4-6" for me. 

BrokenLug

« Reply #686 on: January 19, 2024, 03:18:05 PM »

LANI/PUFF  Don't laugh.  I had thought the same thing - It could be $$$$ walnuts.  Wonder what would happen if they had those cut down ( a shameful task) and sold the lumber.

BL  How much would the black walnut be worth ?- see post above this.

Unfortunately Nada Tsk.

Tsk you really can't sell the lumber from a Black Walnut tree because the saw dust is toxic to animals and humans.
You can use a home wood mill, but you still have to be very careful around that saw dust. 

Lumber mills won't touch it because they usually sell all the saw dust to various places for various uses.
Again it is also toxic to the mill workers so they just don't want to deal with it at all.

We took down one of the last dead Black Walnut trees in our area in the mid 90's.
https://www.invasivespeciesinfo.gov/terrestrial/pathogens-and-diseases/thousand-cankers-black-walnut-disease

Even using chainsaws out in the open air we wore face masks and goggles while cutting it up.

My friends father had a home wood mill and he took two 8' lengths of the main trunk to mill into planks.
He made some kitchen cabinet doors for his wife after the wood had cured/seasoned for a couple of years.

They were absolutely stunning BTW.  :o

Unfortunately he forgot my warning about working with the B.W. wood and got sick as a dog after sanding it without a mask on after like 3 years of it being felled.   ::)

His son, our friend took the bottom round -or- flush cut of the tree (about 2 feet high x 3 feet round) and made a salad bowl on a wood lathe from a 'hunk' of it for my Mom.

With the warning don't ever put real salad in it or ...   ;)   :(

I still have it. I'll post a pick of it later if I can dig it out. :)   

« Last Edit: January 19, 2024, 06:45:58 PM by BrokenLug »
U. S. A.

kbshcb

« Reply #687 on: January 19, 2024, 03:30:08 PM »

Hmm, I have black walnut baseboard in my entire basement. A patient of mine got it from an old bank in downtown Minneapolis..gave it to me and we used it...I love it. Dennis up the street from me, now 87 using a nail gun tapped it in over our then new carpet.

But, it's very old and I relish the fact it came from a 100 year old plus bank.

BrokenLug

« Reply #688 on: January 19, 2024, 03:33:33 PM »

There's no danger from the 100 year old "cured" wood planks what so ever.

But if you ever strip it, sand it or cut it I would still put a mask on.   8)

As long as you Chris and Ollie Man don't tend to get down really low and lick the baseboards you should be ok.   :)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2024, 09:13:39 PM by BrokenLug »
U. S. A.

BrokenLug

« Reply #689 on: January 19, 2024, 03:38:52 PM »

Okay, BL

Mr. Arborist man!...glad to know. in 2019 I asked the city to plant some trees across the street from me.
Reason: A 2002? or so storm took out so many trees and they didn't replace them thereby creating a very hot street.
They did so in 2019 in May...right around my birthday I remember....7 or more young trees planted. Locusts, cherry, and more.

Today I just watched the city pull up and trim many lower branches of these "young trees" that are doing just okay since our multiple year droughts of the last 3 or so years..but they are still alive.
For me, it creates also a buffer from viewing apartments that used to have trees and I was so happy that they were planted.

I doubt they are arborists, but rather "forestry" city employees that are told what to do.

For me, I read as much as I could and the advice was all over the place. They didn't remove dead branches but just healthy lower ones, thereby creating less privacy and I do wonder about the health of doing so much. Wasn't more than 1/3 of the tree but close.
The apartments nor city didn't put water bags around them when first planted, nor watered them but some how they all made it.

although I know winter is best for pruning most and cutting down trees, I am concerned for these young trees.
What say you?
Of course I know I didn't provide probably the info you need. But, in general I see it's a good time to do it, but the amount of cutting by NON Arborists concerns me.

These trees were only planted because of me. I consider them "mine"...LOL

kb what your towns tree guys did sounds totally appropriate and safe.

As long as they survived the drought conditions of the past few years the trees will be better for it come Spring.

They're 5 years old now so they are "estabished".
To prune off the lower "hanger" branches is beneficial for the main canopy of the tree in the long run.    8)  :)
U. S. A.