Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beak Room 2024  (Read 192811 times)

Lani

• All Things Bright and Beautiful
Re: Beak Room 2024
« Reply #405 on: January 12, 2024, 10:23:47 PM »

{{{Phyl}}} I hope {{{Maggie}}} feels better this evening.... "Wolf tracks" in nature video. We like to look at the different animal tracks after a snow storm. A few large ones we take photos and check online.... just thinking about having your nose broken again, makes my eyes water and nose hurt.  :-\ ... I remember a few pretty big Kansas snow storms that did some damage and 3 or 4 feet high of snow... interesting about the bears.

Clynn, sorry to see your doctor appt was rescheduled to next week because of the snow, I hope you can get an earlier appt.  :( ... I checked Medford weather and ten days of rain, rain, rain.  :( ... stay warm and safe.  :)

Tsk, No, this week is not the week to sit by the lake looking for eagles.  ;D... You, Tim and Lulu stay warm and safe...

Kb, look at those paws on the baby Mountain Lion!  ;D... Citizens watches are gorgeous... Often watched the long trains go through Kansas and thought about the dangers.... Scott smiling down on Scott  ;D

Hi Lisa  :)

BL, YIKES the temps in Canada! ... thanks for your updates.... The weather looks clear and may be warmer for the next ten days. Why aren't we getting the storm that's over Oregon and north of us? We need the moisture.... I just saw another update with maps from you. Thanks...

Eagles, Payson has a small lake, its in the old main area of the original town. In the winter, Geese, assorted ducks, swans live along the lake. The residents protect them, because of the coyotes, bob cats....  We have lots of streams and small rivers throughout our area and throughout. Lots of trout and bass fishing. Theodore Roosevelt Lake is less than an hour away to the south of us part of Tonto National Forest. Wonderful lake, beautiful area with eagles, hawks, GBH, so many wild birds.... fishing, boating, camping, etc...

Tig, Beautiful lake ... thanks BL.

{{{Emy}}}, Please take care and keep warm... do you have another heat source? ... I just read your last post of what you do to keep warm..... I'm shivering right now. Sending hugs and warm thoughts.  :-*

Puff, we have many wonderful memories of Colorado winter trips with the girls.

Good night!

Praying for Peace

Sweet Eagle Dreams, Baz, Lori, Karen, Puff, Tsk, Oldguy, Lisa, Lilbro, Eagles, Pink, Clynn, Kb, Tig, Blschue, Phyl, BL and Pip, Godiva, Peep, Jaspurr, Ezee, Eburg, Lindy, RubyRed246, ssrl, Firetruck, Weasel, Jilltosa, Maxie, Masswatch, Paulie, DeborahG, MpMom and Pete, laniebelle, OnEagleWings, NWarg, Garmohoff, Nrstooge, WendyC3, Tigeag, T40, Ginger, Cwellsla, Nanimal, Bggolden, Nora, Rewrap4u, Eaglesrock, Teamcarnes, Seabeeinch, Walton, Sparky, Tulsaducati, Omasawyer, izzysamlikeseagles, bustopbird, Neva, Yank, Linda.L, smrf, nhJane.

Thinking of and missing, Peep, Jaspurr, Jilltosa, Wilson, Godiva, MpMom and Pete, Marrymo, Keystone, TxTeacher, Smb, Naimoj, Thyla/Anne, D7Birder, Indy, Neva, Smb, Alice, and those who have not been with us for a while.

Prayers For Clynn, Lori and her grandma Clute, Eagle's mom, Tig, Phyl and Jim, Karen and Piper, Tsk and Tim, Lisa's Jeff, Baz, Kb's friends Vi and Dennis, Paulie, Tsk's DIL Amy, SIL and grandson, Puff, Jicaji, Maxie and Larry, Camper's daughter, Ed's sis Gina, Tsk's Barb & Tom, Baz great niece and family, Peep, Jaspurr, Clynn's DIL's mom, Ed's friend Greg, Puff's brother, Masswatch hubby Jamey, Pip's Dad, Ezee, EagleFanDave, Tim's Uncle, Paulie's granddaughter Madison, Emy and family, Clynn's mom and Ed, WW JW, Keystone, Jilltosa, Eaglesrock cousin Michael, Thyla/Anne, Neva's family, Weasel and family, and All here in need of healing and comforting.

Special Prayers For Clynn, Tim and Tsk, Eagle's Mom, Tsk's DIL Amy, Baz, Puff, Phyl, Jim and Maggie, Karen, Blschue and family, Lori and family, Phyl's BIL Danny and brother Dan.

Special prayers for All God's creature great and small, For Harley and his little siblings, Miss Maggie, Manaaki, UQ and the Royal Albatross fleet, Hellgate Iris, TRR Sloths, Brooks Fall Brown Bear Otis, and lost 2023 cubs, Honey and Gunnar, SWFL Harriet, Star, Little One and all those like her, TRR rescue babies, The Fairy Penguins, Berry Mom,  NEFL Juliet, Romeo and Samson, Lucy and Larry, Salt River wild horses, Alaska Bears and Wolves that they be saved, Decorah, E2/D1, Dr Rogers and Black bears Shadow and family and Wildlife Research Institute, and All God's creatures great and small.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2024, 11:42:38 PM by Lani »
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander

Emyrauld

« Reply #406 on: January 12, 2024, 11:09:15 PM »

Lani. it’s on,y what we will do if the power goes out.  The furnace is gas fired but it needs power to operate, probably for the fan and controls.  We just work to keep the pipes from freezing when there is no heat.  We have had plenty of cold snaps, and although this one  iis a doozy it’s not a record and both my children are close by.  if we ran into trouble there would be someone to help.  I don”t think there are many other sources of heat if we lose power, but we are a ways from that yet.  I have tried many things over the years.  I even bought a pair of battery heated socks for a football game once in my mad youth.  They didn’t help much.  The batteries froze.  We just hunker down and wait it out.
A sense of humor can help you overlook the unattractive, tolerate the unpleasant, cope with the unexpected and smile through the unbearable....Moshe Woldoks

BrokenLug

« Reply #407 on: January 12, 2024, 11:37:13 PM »

Puff I have never ever have downhill skied.   

Ski resorts are a desecration of the mountains and the land they sit on imho.

All other dispersed winter conveyance go for it.  :)
U. S. A.

Lani

• All Things Bright and Beautiful
« Reply #408 on: January 12, 2024, 11:53:53 PM »

Lani. it’s on,y what we will do if the power goes out.  The furnace is gas fired but it needs power to operate, probably for the fan and controls.  We just work to keep the pipes from freezing when there is no heat.  We have had plenty of cold snaps, and although this one  iis a doozy it’s not a record and both my children are close by.  if we ran into trouble there would be someone to help.  I don”t think there are many other sources of heat if we lose power, but we are a ways from that yet.  I have tried many things over the years.  I even bought a pair of battery heated socks for a football game once in my mad youth.  They didn’t help much.  The batteries froze.  We just hunker down and wait it out.

Emy, Mike bought battery heated socks in his youth. Didn't work!  ;D ... I remembered we let the water run so the pipes wouldn't freeze.... I think your cold front is making up for December. Glad your children are close by.  :)

BL, my downhill ski days I could count on five fingers maybe more. I watched from safe distance... I was meant for the ocean sports only, Pacific  ;D 

I had a busy day, my mind won't rest. Good night again.  :)
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander

BrokenLug

« Reply #409 on: January 12, 2024, 11:54:26 PM »

I'll share an arctic blast post from the past 2020.

Tuesday night was the worst.  It got to -40?C here (-50?C wind chill factor - - that is -58? American).  I was worried the pipes would freeze or the furnace would just give up and quit trying, but everything went well and I worried for nothing.  It is slowly warming up.  And by early next week we will be back to normal.

That is down right dangerously cold by anyone's standard Emyrauld.

- BL side - ambient air temperature -40 c = -40 f in an unusual C to F conversion.

I've been outside in that exact temperature exactly 4 times in my life.
4 out of the 4 is was not snowing. You know why - it was to cold to snow. It's a thing. look it up. 

Now doesn't that just warm everyone right the heck up.  ;)

I looked at the temp data from a weather station near you Emy.
That was a pretty darn cold week even by Edmonton, AB standards. 

I've been to both McMurdo Station and the Amundsen–Scott South Pole Station in Antarctica in the 'summer' (Oct-Feb). 
It got down to ambient -55c (-67f ) early one morning in late Oct of 1985 at the south pole dome as I recall.
The wind chill that night was some ridiculously cold non-human temperature.
No one was allowed out of the dome for 2 days because a ground blizzard was raging.

The south pole is a very dry and high (9,300 ft) white snow desert. It rarely snows there, but the snow that has fallen for millennium's is there, when the wind really blows (and it does often) oh' boy look out or not at all 6" from your goggles.   

I don't really remember the exact wind chill value and it doesn't really matter.
When ones nose ceases to exist and your eyeballs start to squeak in their sockets it's time to be inside of 4 walls.  ;D

Stay Toasty my friends.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2024, 12:35:59 AM by BrokenLug »
U. S. A.

oldguy

« Reply #410 on: January 13, 2024, 01:52:28 AM »

Iowa is closed tonight

Got about 8 more inches of snow today - a light snow - temp only made 30 today - currently 11 and dropping to -12 by  Sunday morning.  Winds 25-35  Blizzard conditions across several states - I-80 is closed tonight from mile marker 202 to I-380.  Snow plows for most of state stopped plowing by 5pm and not going back out until 5am this morning.

https://www.511ia.org/camera/59407920/@-92.3995,42.01093,7?show=iowaAppIncident,winterDriving,regionalRoadConditions,towingProhibitedReports,weatherRadar

It is Caturday

Things My Youngest Cat Learned from My Older Cats - Part I   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YxxhkzFAlk

Mama Cat Song - The Singing Cat Catchy Tune   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBIbjDFtF5g

Robot brought a stray cat wet cat food! Cat's reaction is adorable!   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrrAgWInY5Q

Today was Cash's 14th birthday
Quarantine Kids play "It Ain't Right"   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=katsRnpIGe8
« Last Edit: January 13, 2024, 02:07:32 AM by oldguy »
SE Iowa - Grew up within 40 miles of Decorah

Phyl

• Maggie lives in Nashville,Tennessee Music City USA
    • https://parler.com @Phylll
« Reply #411 on: January 13, 2024, 05:37:49 AM »

Good Morning Everyone... It' Caturday !  

Currently 27F cloudy    High  41F  mostly sunny,  Low 17F 

Had the KIA serviced yesterday and Jim forgot my credit card to pay for the work!  So up a bit early and posting  to run down to dealership and remit.
 I'm stunned that they let him take the car w/o paying. But, guess they figured it was a Catch-22.  ;) 
Besides,  they 'know where I live." LOL 

Lani  sweet ginger kitty snoozing

BL   tks for your posts yesterday

OG enjoyed Q-Kids, as always; tks for the links; alot of states getting hit hard w/snow and sub-Z temps

Puff with my BPPV I can just see me on skiis.  :o

Prayers for:   Our friend and ally the Nation of Israel and peace for her people. All abandoned, abused  cats and feral cats;
The Bluebirds of Cane Ridge, Tennessee, Hummingbirds, Bumble Bees  and Honey bees everywhere . The Beakroom and Cheers.

"Every new day begins with possibilities."
President Ronald Reagan  at  the 1985 Geneva Summit

#IstandwithEvan

Phyl

« Reply #412 on: January 13, 2024, 05:40:43 AM »

#IstandwithEvan

Phyl

« Reply #413 on: January 13, 2024, 05:43:15 AM »

:-* Street Cat Bob, in a handsome blue scarf knitted by a fan.   RIP

#IstandwithEvan

clynndunn

• For the love of Eagles....
« Reply #414 on: January 13, 2024, 06:36:13 AM »

Good Morning Beakers!  It's CATURDAY again!

Thank goodness yesterday is over! Wicked wind and snow! 4 right now, high today is 5, low tonight will be -16.  This too shall pass....  ;D

oldguy, I felt really bad for Erin and Sydney, they were here around 4:30 to clear driveways. They have five regular customers around us and they got an extra one while they were here! They brought their snowblower so they would have two. Sydney did all the sidewalks while Erin did the driveways. Erin waited until the snow stopped to come, but it was blowing so much! They did all in about 2 hours. Love the Mama Cat Song! Cute robot cast feeder!

BL, enjoy reading your stories, incredible story of the class ring, and WOW to Antarctica!  I agree, the wind chill doesn't matter much when the temp is -55!

Lani, I would also choose the ocean, although I remember the thrill of flying through the woods on a snowmobile!  I think we see things a lot differently when we are young... I also looked at the map, looks like BIG rain and even some snow coming to Oregon:

Emy, you are a true veteran of the wicked winter weather, sounds like you have experienced many trials and tribulations!  And yet you don't complain! (because it doesn't help...  ;D)

Phyl, and there is Bob! See Harley below, he is a distant relative of Bob's! Glad Jim is getting meds, hope they work quickly. Sometimes we just sit and ponder, what's going to happen next? Sometimes seems like there is always something...  Great 365 of the wolves, love seeing they kind of snuggling at the end!

These are some of the old warehouses in Des Moines that have been turned into apartments:

Never lie, steal, cheat, or drink. But if you must lie, lie in the arms of the one you love. If you must steal, steal away from bad company. If you must cheat, cheat death. And if you must drink, drink in the moments that take your breath away. ~ Unknown

Puff

« Reply #415 on: January 13, 2024, 07:04:45 AM »

Puff I have never ever have downhill skied.   

Ski resorts are a desecration of the mountains and the land they sit on imho.

All other dispersed winter conveyance go for it.  :)

From your pics and discussions BL I can tell you take in the sights and inner aura of your nature surroundings.  Peaceful, beautiful, sensual, thrilling.

:)

P   

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #416 on: January 13, 2024, 07:33:18 AM »

GOOD CATURDAY MORNING EVERYONE

BL  Thanks for the translation of the Sioux Minnewaska.   Wow  what an experience at the south pole - in those "warm summer temps"  :o

EMY   Boy, that is a serious situation.  Do you keep all your windows curtained/blinded?  I've never been in weather that cold...Be safe.  Reading on I see you are doing all the right things.  Gas fireplace is a plus!  You are well experienced with the cold, for sure.  Good to hear your kids are nearby.    LOL  " batteries froze"

PUFF  I really enjoyed cross country when I did it.

LANI  Your good night kitty looks so soft.  ;)    Hope your brain got a rest last night - I can sympathize  LOL

OLDGUY   Lulu happened to be on my lap when the robot brought the kitty food - Boy did she stare that one down  ;D
Wonderful piece that Mom Clark wrote about 14 yr old Cash   Good Santi video  " Porthos"  ;D

PHYL  Funny AM kitty .  Jim should be better in no time  :-*

CLYNN   Cute cat snowman retreat  ;)    Think EMY would be thrilled to get our -16  :o      (((Erin/ Sidney)))    Love when they turn warehouses into something else vs tearing down.  That's what they are doing to the old Chicago post office - huge facility.
Chicagoland

Puff

« Reply #417 on: January 13, 2024, 07:39:52 AM »

Phyl  BPPV????

Lani  Now snowmobiling is something I have done.  Great 3-4 days in Yellowstone.  Town, accommodations, and rental just outside the park.  They close most of all roads.  Went twice, both times lucky: clear skies, low wind, obviously non-describable beauty, lots of bison. 

Try to picture this . . . First time there it was an awesome scene.  River with white swans, quiet, very quiet, with the black stems of the aspen trees against the pure white of the fresh snow.   Then came the realization of the black trees - It was the winter after the huge fire that claimed so much of the vegetation and trees.  It was sad.  But in the end it created a fantastic regrowth of the trees the next time we went.  If you get the urge, contact me.

OK - I HAVE to feed my birds!!!  Won't make all the stops, but things are empty!!!!  It's in the 20's, slight wind, I'm planning a safe route, my friend Stick, ground should be frozen  and hard for pulling my mini Radio Flyer of goodies.  But first I have to bundle me.  ;D   Zero and minus is at hand.  Good reminder about opening cabinets for tonight.

Later!

kbshcb

« Reply #418 on: January 13, 2024, 08:05:39 AM »

https://twitter.com/i/status/1745908255715729568
Cat discovers new tatoo.....cause it's Caturday.

Good freezing Saturday morning all.

I have an instacart and amazon delivery today so am going to bundle up and sweep the snow off driveway and then might as well do the back decks as I surely won't want to in the next few even colder days.

I hear no snow west of Highway 169. I'm east of that highway...so, no snow fro ssrl and my sister.
Tig -  assume that means you did but maybe not as you are north?

camperstig

• "Hoo hoo hoo hoo!"
« Reply #419 on: January 13, 2024, 09:03:45 AM »

bbrrrrrounce

KB.. it looks like we got about an inch to 1.5. I'm glad the wind blew a lot off the roof. Will need to assess maybe Wednesday. Will run a path down the sidewalk as we have an event to attend this afternoon.

BL... 11, 842 lakes of 10 acres or more. Back in 1962 a survey found over 15k lake basins, but a good number were dry.

TTFN
camper'sTIG - South Central MN
Decorah follower since Apr 2, 2011
"May Bob now soar with the eagles and dive with the falcons. You've left a living legacy behind on the earth" (barbells126)