Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beak Room 2024  (Read 221144 times)

BrokenLug

Re: Beak Room 2024
« Reply #300 on: January 09, 2024, 08:51:00 PM »

Our Rutt, near Borup MN...not that far away from Georgetown where last seen many days ago.
Admin posted earlier today pics coming of our Rutt...that post is gone now, and this one is at top of page, so I assume this is what she was waiting for...?

KB Rutt's updated travel map. 475 miles and counting from Alton, IA.   :)   8)
U. S. A.

Lani

• All Things Bright and Beautiful
« Reply #301 on: January 09, 2024, 11:49:49 PM »

Puff just to clarify: When Lani mentions the Rim by her near Payson, AZ she is referring to the Mogollon Rim.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mogollon_Rim

The "Rims" of the Grand Canyon are about about 125 miles North of the Mogollon Rim above Payson.  :)

Photo Credit: Richard N Horne.

BL, Thank you for providing the correct information. We just call our beautiful forest Rim Country, never thinking others would confuse it with the Grand Canyon. My fault for not being more specific. Thanks  :)
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander

Lani

« Reply #302 on: January 10, 2024, 12:37:10 AM »

Lisa, Glad Jeff is home.... Are the kids okay?...... This weather is bad everywhere, Mike told me today, it was so windy over LaPlace, LA, it looked like tornadoes at times.....

BL, thanks for Rutt map update .... only 5 states left to fish, camp, explore or hike!

Kb, And there's handsome Rutt in a beautiful snowy area!

Puff, beautiful memories... only 5 more states to visit.

Lori, lovely remembrance for Kay.

Clynn, Glad you were able to get another appt.... Beautiful snow pics.... glad you were able to spend time with the munchkins... pot of chili, munchkins, your wonderful son Erin, Sydney, family.  :-*

Oldguy, lots of snow.... take care

Phyl, thanks for sharing your blueberry pancake recipe... never heard of Monk Fruit sugar. I'll have to ask Aly if she's ever tried it... Thanks for understanding about The Rim. I'm sorry for the confusion.

Good night!

Praying for Peace

Sweet Eagle Dreams, Baz, Lori, Karen, Puff, Tsk, Oldguy, Lisa, Lilbro, Eagles, Pink, Clynn, Kb, Tig, Blschue, Phyl, BL and Pip, Godiva, Peep, Jaspurr, Ezee, Eburg, Lindy, RubyRed246, ssrl, Firetruck, Weasel, Jilltosa, Maxie, Masswatch, Paulie, DeborahG, MpMom and Pete, laniebelle, OnEagleWings, NWarg, Garmohoff, Nrstooge, WendyC3, Tigeag, T40, Ginger, Cwellsla, Nanimal, Bggolden, Nora, Rewrap4u, Eaglesrock, Teamcarnes, Seabeeinch, Walton, Sparky, Tulsaducati, Omasawyer, izzysamlikeseagles, bustopbird, Neva, Yank, Linda.L, smrf, nhJane.

Thinking of and missing, Peep, Jaspurr, Jilltosa, Wilson, Godiva, MpMom and Pete, Marrymo, Keystone, TxTeacher, Smb, Naimoj, Thyla/Anne, D7Birder, Indy, Neva, Smb, Alice, and those who have not been with us for a while.

Prayers For Clynn, Eagle's mom, Tig, Phyl and Jim, Karen and Piper, Tsk and Tim, Lisa's Jeff, Baz, Kb's friends Vi and Dennis, Paulie, Tsk's DIL Amy, SIL and grandson, Puff, Jicaji, Lori and her grandma Clute, Maxie and Larry, Camper's daughter, Ed's sis Gina, Tsk's Barb & Tom, Baz great niece and family, Peep, Jaspurr, Clynn's DIL's mom, Ed's friend Greg, Puff's brother, Masswatch hubby Jamey, Pip's Dad, Ezee, EagleFanDave, Tim's Uncle, Paulie's granddaughter Madison, Emy and family, Clynn's mom and Ed, WW JW, Keystone, Jilltosa, Eaglesrock cousin Michael, Thyla/Anne, Neva's family, Weasel and family, and All here in need of healing and comforting.

Special Prayers For Clynn, Tim and Tsk, Eagle's Mom, Tsk's DIL Amy, Baz, Puff, Phyl, Jim and Maggie, Karen, Blschue and family, Lori and family, Phyl's BIL Danny and brother Dan.

Special prayers for All God's creature great and small, For Harley and his little siblings, Miss Maggie, Manaaki, UQ and the Royal Albatross fleet, Hellgate Iris, TRR Sloths, Brooks Fall Brown Bear Otis, and lost 2023 cubs, Honey and Gunnar, SWFL Harriet, Star, Little One and all those like her, TRR rescue babies, The Fairy Penguins, Berry Mom,  NEFL Juliet, Romeo and Samson, Lucy and Larry, Salt River wild horses, Alaska Bears and Wolves that they be saved, Decorah, E2/D1, Dr Rogers and Black bears Shadow and family and Wildlife Research Institute, and All God's creatures great and small.
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #303 on: January 10, 2024, 06:32:40 AM »

Calm day today 31 degrees

PUFF   " Icing" sure does describe it.  :D

BL  Out of curiosity when did you explore Wisconsin and Illinois?  Thanks for Rutt's journey so far.  Quite the traveler.

LANI   Sweet good night "Yoda" kitty  ;) ;)
Chicagoland

clynndunn

• For the love of Eagles....
« Reply #304 on: January 10, 2024, 07:08:33 AM »

Good Morning Beakers!

Snow!  Erin brought their snowblower so he and Sydney could both work on the snow, he taught her how to run the machine and she did all the sidewalks while he did the driveways. Our lot and across the street are corner lots, so lots of sidewalk. They cleared 5 houses. there are a couple on the block who call him when it snows. They all called...  He said this snow was very heavy, I am glad Sydney helped. I bet they fell asleep as soon as they hit the pillow... A couple of branches down from the two pine trees we have on the street side. Another inch of snow today.  And a couple of pics of Bella and Sydney with the kittens!

tsk, glad to hear Tim is okay up in DC, he misses your trips up there, doesn't he... Yes, I have Monk Fruit Sugar, found it when looking for a natural sweetener!  Cold and foggy here right now.

Lani, Bella is so smitten with the kittens! The iPad was never turned on! Talon, glued to the laptop! So studious! Do you have snow on the ground? I can't keep track of it! Oops, my mistake, I didn't realize that the Grand Canyon was that far away from you, I should have looked at a map! So I looked up the Mogollon Rim, and it is a beautiful place! Definitely a destination!

BL, I have been to all the states on your list, mine are all in New England...your neck of the woods! Maine, NH, RI, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Delaware, New Jersey (landed in NJ when we flew back from England but I don't think that counts...). Wicked weather everywhere these past few days. Love your 'like shoveling mud with a pitchfork' description!

Lori, thanks for remembering Kay, Kelsey asks about her often. She's puzzled that someone else is living in her townhouse, and she talks about how they always went to Menards on Saturdays...

oldguy, looks like to got more snow than we did!

On FB last evening...   Please still stay off I-80.  Find alternate routes. Stay home or find parking and lodging.

Just saw this on FB, Talon and Bella on their SNOW DAY!

Never lie, steal, cheat, or drink. But if you must lie, lie in the arms of the one you love. If you must steal, steal away from bad company. If you must cheat, cheat death. And if you must drink, drink in the moments that take your breath away. ~ Unknown

Phyl

• Maggie lives in Nashville,Tennessee Music City USA
    • https://parler.com @Phylll
« Reply #305 on: January 10, 2024, 07:40:15 AM »

Good Morning Everyone...  

Currently 35F cloudy    High  47F sunny,  Low 35F 

Well, another really blustery night last night. Forecast rain for Friday---good I don't have that to deal with today.
Jim home a 11am today and I have to hussle for my ENT appointment .
Thinking of all the {{Beakers }}fighting this weather front. Take care y'all.

Lani that darling of a kitten looks like a 'Lykoi' or wolf cat (werewolf cat)  see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lykoi; when I posted the photo of  berry pancake stack I checked out the recipe and thought of Aly; no confusion for me on 'The Rim' I knew what you were talking  about. I've been to Grand Canyon many times ---You mentioned Mike and weather  conditions in LA reminded me--- Jim's younger sister, Susan and her family plus Danny their younger brother live in Baton Rouge. Her husband Sam is a professor there at LSU. Susan's retired from LSU admin dept . .

BL   tks. for the 'Rutt Map''

CLynn  cute snow day snaps of the Munchkins; all that snow on I-80  :o

Prayers for:   Our friend and ally the Nation of Israel and peace for her people. All abandoned, abused  cats and feral cats;
The Bluebirds of Cane Ridge, Tennessee, Hummingbirds, Bumble Bees  and Honey bees everywhere . The Beakroom and Cheers.

"Every new day begins with possibilities."
President Ronald Reagan  at  the 1985 Geneva Summit

#IstandwithEvan

Phyl

« Last Edit: January 10, 2024, 08:20:48 AM by Phyl »

#IstandwithEvan

Phyl

#IstandwithEvan

kbshcb

« Reply #308 on: January 10, 2024, 09:00:27 AM »

Morning all..

Have to decide whether or not to return our comcast/xfinity boxes this morning....in about an hour or so.
We've had a few rounds of freezing fog.

The middle of the street is the only place they've dropped salt (hence dry) and I can only see what I can see out my window. The drive across the street at the apts is salted heavily as they don't want the liability of a slip and fall to their door entrance or down the steep hill to the back for parking...
Perhaps it will be fine by then down my street hill and elsewhere? We shall see..

BTW, I've learned fairly easily how to work the remotes for our streaming services including you tube tv.

My orchid is blooming and a nice winter addition.

BL- of course, thanks for the map of Rutt's travels. I'm sure glad he followed my orders from two days ago!, LOL...to stay away from the Red River...good boy, Rutt

BrokenLug

« Reply #309 on: January 10, 2024, 09:13:37 AM »

Wow that was a wild storm for this time of year at this local !
Pip & I are high and dry and we didn't loose power thankfully.
We live on 'high ground' and have never really flooded right here.

We don't presently live real close to any rivers, but my childhood home was right smack dab in the middle of the West & East branches of the Saddle River up by the NY/NJ border.
Someone a long time ago thought the river looked like the shape of a saddle. We lived "inside" of the saddle.  :-\
(Map image Below).
We were cut off from the world so many times as a kid I couldn't count.
Bridges that flooded over easily in every NEWS direction.  ::)

It's a real mess of serious flooding here in northern NJ .. again.   ::)   :(
https://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=okx&gage=lodn4&prob_type=stage&source=hydrograph
U. S. A.

LisaG1967

« Reply #310 on: January 10, 2024, 09:15:17 AM »

Good Morning Beakers

tsk - If they had closed the bridge before he got home, he would have just stayed the night at his Dad's in Annapolis.  So, Tim didn't get to do as much as he wanted in Door County with the winds? 

BL - What are you waiting for...you only have 5 more to explore!  :D

oldguy - I hope you had some help shoveling, or if you didn't, that you took a break doing it.

karen - I am glad that you were not aware of the wind.  LOL

Lani - Yep, all is good  here, no power loss or branches down.  Also, good at Bradley's.  I hope Mike made out ok with the weather in LA. Sweet kitty!

clynn - Oh no, did the branches from the pine break your new fence?   Love the pic of Bella looking at the kitten.  Has Harley met the kitties yet?  The munchkins look like they had a great snow day!

Phyl - Good luck with your doc appointment, and thanks for the 365. 

kb - Your orchid is beautiful.

karengramke

« Reply #311 on: January 10, 2024, 09:27:57 AM »

Good morning on a chillier day in South .georgia!  Bright sun and no wind!  Fridays rain coming from the gulf and bringing warmer temps and possible storms again!  Hang on Phyl!   Local news last night and this morning showed a lot of damage around here, so we were lucky!   They say Valdosta is in a hole so that may save us!
Lani, I never confused you with the Grand Canyon either!   Your location has a softer look to it to me!  More forests!   La did take a hit in the recent storms!
Phyl, is your appointment today, or Jims?   Does he wear one of the yellow rain coats at Publix?  Have not seen one for a while but they are great !  Would love one.  Years ago, the man across the street, now since passed away, took one and wore it home!  It annoyed me and months later I returned it to customer service and explained where it was!   Have to go today to pick up a script!
Clynn, good for Erin and you and your neighbors!  Bella looks like her mother in that picture!   I was thinking that the kitties have her attention!  Computers, games, dolls,  not so much!
Good news Bl and Lisa!
Be safe and have a good day!

Lani

« Reply #312 on: January 10, 2024, 10:45:13 AM »

LGK and BOK (below pic in grass)

Good Morning Beakers!
Morning Emyrauld, Lilbro, Blschue, Lori, Clynn, Tsk, Lisa, Karen, Oldguy, Puff, Eagles, Kb, Tig, Baz, Phyl, Peep, Jaspurr, Pink, Jilltosa, BL, Eburg, Weasel, Ezee, Bggolden, T40, ssrl, Maxie, Nrstooge, Omasawyer, Paulie, jicaji, LB, and All!

Royal Albatross update 1/8
Sharyn candled BOK (on nest) & WYL's egg yesterday
At day 54 (Sunday 7th Jan) showed that the embryo is still healthy.

This egg is a week younger than LGK & LGL’s egg.
Even though inexperienced with chick raising WYL & BOK are good at egg incubation

Video of Ranger Sharyn candled BOK & WYL's egg
https://twitter.com/i/status/1744138436502843869

We are now 10 days away from visual checks of LGK and LGL’s egg at Top Flat. When hatching begins the developing embryo moves into the air cell of the egg. Sometimes, sounds like scrunching can be heard as the membranes are broken through. There may even be a chick call. When the shell has a crack or pip in it for the beginning of hatching, we will remove it to the incubator. We hold the parents on the nest with a dummy egg until the chick has hatched. The nest will be sprayed with Avian Insect Liquidator* to ensure that flies are not living in the nest when the chick is returned.

The toroa colony at Pukekura is so tiny (just 1% of the entire world population of Northern Royal Albatross) that every chick matters. The incidence of often fatal fly strike** on this headland is too high to leave the hatching eggs at the nest.

The parents are happy to incubate the dummy egg and receive the chick quite readily when it has hatched.

LGK and LGL have raised 2 chicks that have hatched in the incubator with no incidence.

Although in-experienced with chick raising WYL and BOK are good at egg incubation. A candling*** of the egg at day 54 (Sunday 7th January) showed that the embryo is still healthy. This egg is a week younger that LGK and LGL’s egg.

*Avian Insect Liquidator is a bird-safe liquidator that repels flies. It is necessary to use a bird-safe repellent only as the respiratory system, being evolved for flight, is much for efficient than that of mammals.

**Fly strike and why is it an issue. Fly strike is caused by flies laying eggs in the flesh of the hatching chick and the resulting maggots quickly devouring the flesh they find themselves on. It is an issue at this site due to introduced flies that hatch out maggots supper fast and introduced grasses that hold the heat on the volcanic soils in this area. Fly strike only became an issue in the 1970’s and has become increasingly severe with the hotter, drier summers which are a result of climate change.

**Candling: shining a light at an egg in a dark space so that the inside is revealed. At this later stage of incubation, the egg is dark with a clear air cell like in the following picture.

karengramke

« Reply #313 on: January 10, 2024, 11:18:15 AM »

Wow Lani!   Too bad Decorah could not have sprayed tge nest tge yearpr tge black flies were so devastating!

Lani

« Reply #314 on: January 10, 2024, 11:45:17 AM »

Phyl, the Rock Ptarmigan is gorgeous, perfectly camouflaged in beautiful snowy environments, thanks for nature video.... sent Aly the recipe. She and I are the blueberry lovers  ;D. ahhh, LSU family members  ;D 

Clynn, cute bear cub and morning pics... broken pine branches on your fence  :( .... sweet pics of Miss Bella, kittens and her mom. Do you see a new kitten in Miss Bella's future? ;D... Hi Talon and Miss Bella! Cute Snow day pics!! I bet Erin and Sydney were exhausted! Bless them for helping your neighbors too... How is Harley doing with the kittens? I think of him often, as I look at my two boys... Yes, we still have snow and expecting more on Thursday.... YIKES! I-80

Hi Tsk

Kb, beautiful orchid.

BL, you and Pip take care

Lisa, Glad to hear all is well with you, Jeff and kids!  Mike talks to his LA office several times a day... He's on the plane to Houston, I understand it's windy there too!

Karen, safe travels.

Seal Island Gray Seals Pupping cam is Live now

https://explore.org/livecams/gray-seals/seal-pups-cam

« Last Edit: January 10, 2024, 11:49:25 AM by Lani »