Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beak Room 2024  (Read 584871 times)

baziunc

• Queen of Decorah - April 10, 2016
Re: Beak Room 2024
« Reply #8055 on: Yesterday at 11:55:18 PM »

((Karen)), yay for all the clean-up already done around your home! That was quick! The backyard can wait! Yes, you are familiar with all those mountain roads around much of the NC and TN mountains, too. I have been down so many of them (in the VA mtns, too) - big ones, and the little dirt ones, too, more times than I can count, throughout my life. It is hard to see the destruction there. And so many are experiencing great loss and sadness from Helene across so many states. You have seen this kind of destruction and heartbreak up close and personal many times with your work with the Red Cross. Yes, most of my Mtns Sis and her husband's medical care is in Johnson City, TN.

I saw tonight the death toll has risen to over 90 people from Hurr. Helene, with 36 of those deaths in NC, where there are also still over 300 people unaccounted for just in NC, with other states facing big numbers of unaccounted for people, as well. Many towns, and the Red Cross, in some areas of NC and TN mtns have set up special contact numbers and online forms for people to give info about people they are trying to locate or find the status of, and those organizations will take that info and try to locate those people and send status info back to those looking for them. One of the TV news stations here has a scroll running at the bottom of their broadcast screen giving out this info for the various counties. For one county, they are even scrolling the list of the names of streets where officials have completed door-to-door surveys and declared all people on those particular streets accounted for.

Good night, ((Beakers)). Prayers for Peace, Comfort, and Hope for All suffering.

« Last Edit: Today at 12:12:15 AM by baziunc »
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center

baziunc

« Reply #8056 on: Today at 12:09:33 AM »

Lani, you and I were working on posts at the same time.  ;) I just now saw yours. I hope you and Mike had a good trip to the valley today - got Trader's Joe goodies?  ;) :) The Chiefs have been keeping me on the edge of my seat this season, especially the last few minutes of their games! Sounds like Rashee Rice had a really bad injury today from that freak accidental run-in with Mahommes. He's so talented - I hope he has a good recovery.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center

Puff

« Reply #8057 on: Today at 06:56:43 AM »

Nice postings for KK this morning.  A lot of choices and he lived several life styles/roles.  I bet it was a lot of fun for him!!!!

Got me thinking of "running into him" at a pool at one of the big hotels in Vegas.  No mob following him, actually showed up all alone in a bathing suit, a towel, and shades.  Completely had two grown up ladies gawking!!!!  Me and my SIL.  Somewhere there's a pic I took.   Lost in the masses I'm sure, otherwise I'd share it.  Ahhhhh memories.

clynndunn

• For the love of Eagles....
« Reply #8058 on: Today at 07:23:05 AM »

Good Morning Beakers!  It's another Monday again, as the song goes 'time keeps slipping, slipping, slipping into the future...'

baz, you are so right, there is much more to come from Helene's path across all those states. It is so sad to see the destruction, and to know that many of those with homes destroyed have no insurance because the cost of insurance skyrocketed in the last couple of years. And, thank you so much for the Kris Kristofferson and Roseann Cash video, it brought tears to my eyes. He was a great singer/songwriter. The great ones are leaving us one by one...

Lani, it was good seeing KK sing last year in baz's post and your video, when he was a lot younger.  His music was loved by all, it wasn't just country, he was just as popular in the soft rock world.  https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/celebrity/dolly-parton-mourns-great-loss-of-friend-kris-kristofferson-i-will-always-love-you/ar-AA1rqMNB?ocid=BingNewsSerp

Love Pastor Doberman!  And YAY, the Chiefs won!

oldguy, great article on Kris Kristofferson, wow, I didn't know he had 8 children!  I searched for what he died from...Lyme's disease is what I found, undiagnosed for way too long.  That is so sad...

Emy, thanks for the good video of kris Kristofferson!

Puff, a great memory, I bet you will be looking for that picture... would love to see it!

Lisa, Bradley and Erin would be good friends if they met! Erin is a gamer deluxe, he was #3 in FIFO Soccer on XBox Live in his younger years, and a beta tester for Apple iPhone for a good while, and quite a gamer!  I think they are close to the same age, Erin is 33.

Maquoketa Caves Waterfall, Iowa

Never lie, steal, cheat, or drink. But if you must lie, lie in the arms of the one you love. If you must steal, steal away from bad company. If you must cheat, cheat death. And if you must drink, drink in the moments that take your breath away. ~ Unknown

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #8059 on: Today at 07:37:33 AM »

KAREN   Saw that late yesterday about Kris Kristofferson yesterday.  RIP   You are the expert in disaster and recovery.  So grateful for dedicated people like you.

Hi EMY  Thanks for the link - He had such a distinctive voice.

OLDGUY   Thanks for that bio on Kris K.  I remember the marriage to Rita Coolidge.  Didn't know about his Army career.

PUFF  I remember on the road to Hana tour in Maui - his house was pointed out - but you couldn't see it  LOL  Kudos to you actually seeing Kris!!

BAZI   Got teary with that duet.  :'(  In the  links I've read, no cause of death was given.  Memory loss since the '70s.   Like the quote from Hellen Keller. 

CLYNN   Wow  Lyme's disease - Didn't know.
Chicagoland

Phyl

• Maggie lives in Nashville,Tennessee Music City USA
    • https://parler.com @Phylll
« Reply #8060 on: Today at 07:49:11 AM »

Currently: 65F cloudy , High  69F mostly cloudy,  with  Low 64F

Especially thinking of and offering up  hugs and prayers to  {{{all those traumatized }}} by Hurricane Helene  and are lacking clean water, food, shelter; missing  loved ones  and pets . 🙏 s.   🙏 s.

Hurrah, the Chiefs won!

{{{Karen, Lori ,Bazi}}} (glad you got good news on your mountain sis )and those in Beakroom , Cheers and  Forum[/i] 

RIP Kris Kristofferson FNC had several segments on him. Lots of nice memories posted here.

Hi Emy hope all's well with you and your family. Tks for KK video

Lani and Bazi thanks for the KK videos; touching duet

OG tks for the KK article. Didn't know about his Army career either

Well---today is my last injection of Euflxxa for who knows when. Soooooooo, best get cracking.

Prayers for: The Fallen of Abbey Gate, Vietnam, Korean Conflict, WWI and II; Police and First Responders.  Our friend and ally the Nation of Israel and peace for her people.   'Little Gray' and 'Little One' ...All abandoned, abused , lost cats ... stray, unloved, homeless stray and feral cats;
The Bluebirds of Cane Ridge, Tennessee, Hummingbirds, Bumble Bees  and Honey bees everywhere . As always, Beakers, Cheerios and RRP and families.

« Last Edit: Today at 10:09:32 AM by Phyl »

Dina 5-23-21  :-* I miss you so much.
Sauces bald eagle cam

Phyl

• Maggie lives in Nashville,Tennessee Music City USA
    • https://parler.com @Phylll

Dina 5-23-21  :-* I miss you so much.
Sauces bald eagle cam

karengramke

« Reply #8062 on: Today at 09:22:40 AM »

Good Morning!  A hot, humid . Sunny day!    Hard for folks trying to clean up, repair. Etc!   City water is evidently running on generator power and there might be an issue as to how long that will last!  I am on county water and  have not heard of a problem with it!   That is why they tell folks to fill their bath tubs with water before a storm!  At least you can flush!  Lol
Going out withPiper! Bbl and you all have a good day!   Oh, Baz, while in the .Virginia mountains, did you ever get to Big Stone Gap?

Lani

• All Things Bright and Beautiful
« Reply #8063 on: Today at 10:29:06 AM »

Royal Albatross
Kiwa (TF) has been gliding over the Te Moana-nui-a-Kiwa | Pacific Ocean for 4 days now so it is appropriate that he has been given this name.
Although Kiwa did not stick around to receive a GPS tag 7 of his cohorts have, one of which has also fledged since tag day.

The Marine Team are looking into public viewing of the tag locations. Unlike Tiaki’s season this will not be on the Albatross Tracker app. We will let you know where this information can be viewed in due course.

In the meantime, the fledged chick has already sent a location... ;D

Good morning Beakers!
Morning Eagles4, Lisa, Ezee, Eburg, Weasel, Jilltosa, Kb, Tsk, Karen, Oldguy, Puff, Eaglesrock, Emyrauld, Lilbro, Blschue, Lori, Clynn, Tig, Baz, Phyl, Peep, Jaspurr, Pink, BL, Bggolden, T40, ssrl, Maxie, Nrstooge, Omasawyer, Paulie, jicaji, LB, and All!

« Last Edit: Today at 10:31:30 AM by Lani »
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander

LisaG1967

« Reply #8064 on: Today at 10:48:50 AM »

Good Morning Beakers

karen - RIP Kris Kristofferson!  My mama loved him and Barbara Streisand in A Star is Born.

Emy - Thanks for the tunes.

oldguy - Thanks for the article.

karen - Glad to hear that you have some of your yard cleared up.  Hope I read that correctly. 

Lani - Pastor Doberman was very dignified looking.  ;D Thanks for the info on Kiwa!

clynn - I do think Erin and Bradley would be good friends.  Bradley will be 32 this coming April.
Love your pretty pumpkin barrel.

tsk - Cute morning greeting.

Phyl - Good luck with your injection today.

Puff, tig, kb
- Morning  :)

baziunc

« Reply #8065 on: Today at 01:36:20 PM »

Good day, Beakers.

Helene's death toll, as of earlier this morning, was 115. And counting. Over 600 now reported unaccounted for just in Buncombe County, NC (where Asheville is), with hopes that is only due to being cut off from communications and unable to be reached due to missing and impassable roads and bridges. Some of the search and rescue missions have transitioned to search and recovery. Many other communities across 10 states are reeling still from Helene's devastation, impact, missing and dead. Prayers for them all.

Some recent info from Buncombe County, NC:

"Buncombe County
Asheville / County

Supplies were being airlifted to the region around the isolated city of Asheville. Buncombe County Manager Avril Pinder pledged that she would have food and water in the city by Monday. "We hear you. We need food and we need water," Pinder said on a Sunday call with reporters.3 hours ago"

A sample story of one man's trek to try to locate his parents in a remote area near Little Switzerland, NC. I have hiked and stayed in, and visited that area a number of times, having also camped in a nearby wilderness area just above Spruce Pine and Little Switzerland, NC. It is a special place up a small windng mtn road:

https://www.cnn.com/2024/09/30/us/helene-north-carolina-asheville-communites/index.html - (This is quite a story of one person's perseverence against the odds!)

That man was successful in his ability to get through that rugged and broken terrain to his parents' home near Little Switzerland, NC. His story is an excellent example of why there are so many people still unaccounted for!

Here's an excellent report, updated today, for the weather and climate geeks among us, with some photos that may not have been seen before, for the non-geeks and anyone interested
:
https://climate.ncsu.edu/blog/2024/09/rapid-reaction-historic-flooding-follows-helene-in-western-nc/

Among a number of other state and local disaster recovery relief and distribution of needed supplies, is this info about federal assistance updated today in the Asheville Citizen Times newspaper:

"In total, 10 federal search and rescue teams are on the ground in the region and another nine teams are on the way, for a total of 900 active personnel, FEMA said.

In total, the following is being brought to the region:

25 trailer-loads of meals.
60 trailer-loads of waters.
A C-17 cargo plane full of food, water and other commodities has arrived.
According to the news release, 200 federal ambulances have been provided to the state. The agency has also provided 40 Starlink satellites to help with responder communications and additional satellites are being shipped to assist with communications infrastructure restoration. One Starlink will be deployed per county Emergency Operations Center. An additional 18 helicopters are on standby to help deliver additional commodities to affected areas.

Further generators are on the way with 30 en route to the staging base in Mecklenburg County.

Families and people trying to get in touch with loved ones are encouraged to call 2-1-1 or visit UnitedWayNC.org to fill out a request form to add them to search and rescue efforts."

Also, links to local info related to the flooding in western NC: (KB, maybe you can get more info about Brevard, NC, at the link on this page, if you scroll down to info from Transylvania County, where your friend, and Brevard, are located.)

https://www.google.com/search?q=Western+North+Carolina+floods&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjUuc20mOuIAxUW5ckDHXsiGxMQyNoBKAB6BAgSEAA&si=ACC90nzYaKb6Msc5QmE4Q2L6MrCoZ8zJ7-1kEKqhatt7YTCE5cU7OP5QdSH_7bQpYK7nc--i7TDmMW16BWbC_ECJ_zv51cXD6NRUtRTHhiq5B9S7er2TOgrS2lKR43srYAGFv3JGpzuXgIVLEcewAMFSqGeeuBQSqfa-A-szCLKC2hEK8v6kbemKAaZJ0lPVTH9N68Uh_sXC4lqHf9yces0HNYC-ZzCSPA%3D%3D&ictx=1#wptab=si:ACC90nx7yAPPHWjNrh5YCKkT6qKnP_dP79rqPDKphsdNPY3Y1z7j7CNy4qFnz_AOEKBR4_TS02VgqfNGxFFXABfrjLelXStM-weXXiT7PNJvPqu1LvLFh4g196hw5OqW5zlf_HjMlswv6iI6vSbbxmd7Bj3eZJjRXAieJHof-nJB4WyZxVDfU3WdcDExkOe5qae_UBU5ncVi9UAWPBIaO9auSdQA6bTXdIhxXfUgxfDmzbHitYjX3stdBJQGSQ2RlZqvQyL0BHbD

Some good news from my Mtns Sis! I received a text this morning from my Mtns Sis! She said she slept last night from 6:00 PM till 5:00 AM, without waking even once! Yay! She was exhausted, needless to say. She and her husband will stay another night in their Johnson City, TN hotel, and return to their home in Mountain City, TN tomorrow. Today they are scouting for additioal food and water and fuel supplies to take back home with them to add to what they have remaining at their house.

More good news today from my Mtns Sis! ... Their whole-house generator is going to be repaired Wednesday - the day after tomorrow! Fingers crossed for that to happen!! And fingers crossed they still have a good amount of propane in their tank at home to power the generator after it is repaired, because who knows how long it might be before additional propane fuel could be delivered!!

My Mtns Sis's son and his wife are safe, have lost the stored contents of their house in flooding in a tiny crossroads of a town near West Jefferson, NC, and are working very hard to clean up from flooding at that location and others. Their daughter is a freshman this year at VA Tech, in Blacksburg, VA, in the mountains of Virginia, which was affected by Helene's flooding also. She is safe, but that whole town, most of its county, and the VA Tech campus in Blacksburg, VA is on a boil water notice. They have no safe tap water, but I received a text that she is safe and okay.

Waving to All the Beakers!
« Last Edit: Today at 01:54:45 PM by baziunc »

baziunc

« Reply #8066 on: Today at 02:10:10 PM »

So many people are going through difficult times.

Prayers for Peace, Comfort, and Hope.

Take care, ((Beakers)).  :-*

camperstig

• "Hoo hoo hoo hoo!"
« Reply #8067 on: Today at 02:21:08 PM »

Some bounce
Hugs...
The broken branches from our storm on Aug 27 were cut and removed this afternoon. $500 . Sigh.
The pool was quiet this morning... Nice
SED
camper'sTIG - South Central MN
Decorah follower since Apr 2, 2011
"May Bob now soar with the eagles and dive with the falcons. You've left a living legacy behind on the earth" (barbells126)