Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beak Room 2024  (Read 585646 times)

LORIDAVIS

• Peace Love Unity & Respect
    • Facebook
Re: Beak Room 2024
« Reply #7965 on: September 27, 2024, 02:26:40 PM »

Royal Albatross 9/27
Top Flat chick has been named * Kiwa * the divine protector and guardian of the ocean.

Kiwa has been gliding over the Te Moana-nui-a-Kiwa | Pacific Ocean for 4 days now so it is appropriate that he has been given this name.

Thank you everyone!

TGIF Beakers!
Morning Eagles4, Lisa, Ezee, Eburg, Weasel, Jilltosa, Kb, Tsk, Karen, Oldguy, Puff, Eaglesrock, Emyrauld, Lilbro, Blschue, Lori, Clynn, Tig, Baz, Phyl, Peep, Jaspurr, Pink, BL, Bggolden, T40, ssrl, Maxie, Nrstooge, Omasawyer, Paulie, jicaji, LB, and All!

{{{Karen}}} praying all is well.

Praying for Florida and Georgia. 🙏

I have a seminar this morning.
I'll be back later. Take care.  :-*

Lani-Oh my!  I miss all of our feathered friends!  Thank you for posting.  This is just precious... :-*
Clynn-thank you, it feels good to be here today.  I am so glad everyone is OK. Prayers are powerful!
 I wish I was closer to Karen so I could help her today.  Thank you all for the updates! ((Beakers))
Lori Davis
AcuraRacerGirl

baziunc

• Queen of Decorah - April 10, 2016
« Reply #7966 on: September 27, 2024, 02:37:09 PM »

Waving to (((All the Beakers))). Hugs to you All!  :-*

(((TSK and Tim))) How are you all doing today? I have also been thinking of Tom and his wife - their Florida home! I pray they are safe, and their FL home has survived without serious damage. Let us know.

((Phyl)) feel better. Hope you don't get damage from the current form of Helene affecting your area, and beyond.

((Clynn)), thank you for reaching Karen and letting us know how she came through. Hugs. Glad Erin got your computer taken care of, too.

(((Lani))), prayers for Mike's family in Florida!! Sarasota was hit hard!

(((Karen))), I'm sooo glad you and Piper are okay, and your home sitll has a roof and walls and windows, and your generator is humming away for your electricity. Thank the Lord! I hope your vet/ her husband/ animals/ and property are all ok too. I have watched the news thro the night and today, the aftermath, of Valdosta - much of Valdosta is crushed/damaged. So glad you are safe, and your home is intact! I know that cable TV services/internet/wifi/fiber optics/satellite TV can all go out even when your electricity is working. I think some people do not think of that. Of course you can lose TV even while your electricity is on... Otherwise, you would need an antenna connected to receive free OTA broadcast, and I don't think I've heard you mention that before, but it's something you can look into for the future at some point, that would keep you connected via local TV channels even when cable/satellite/other TV transmission routes are out.

There are very reliable reports of many meso vortices that directly hit Valdosta last night during the hurricane - they had winds of 100-130mph in different spots around town in Valdost! This is something that often comes with the hurricane's eye wall - and Karen's town went through the northern eye wall, then the quiet eye, followed by going through the south eye wall!!! Extremely damaging, and the town's buildings and trees are showing it today. Bulldozers were used this morning in Valdosta to help clear some roads of debris - bricks, roofs, signs, trees, walls of buildings, and so on!

Karen, I am sooo glad you and Piper made it through!! I'm sorry about your fence and trees - a mess I understand - and will probably be a long time to get right again - resources, including labor, will be scarce due to the widereaching effects over at least 5 southeastern states, so far. Hugs!!!

The Weather Channel is doing extensive on-air live reporting from Valdosta, GA, in addition to many other towns that were hard hit.

Thanks to all who inquired about my family and me. I am fine. Squall lines and the outer bands of Helene reached me because of the jog to the right/East that Helene took just as it went by Tallahassee, on its way to Valdosta and beyond last night. Zippo spent the night in our safe room, and is still there, and will be till later today. We are unscathed! She is not happy... spoiled baby.. I have had a couple love and hugs sessions with her today, so that helps. LOL. She'll get over it. Treats help.  Many tornadoes have passed by all around - none have hit me. Tornado threat here till 6pm today. But we are both safe, and no damage at my home, or nearby that I know of at this point. Lots of small branches, leaves, and "salad" on the ground. The gators and large pond turtles don't mind. No complaints from my part of the world!

No, all my mtns family are not dry, though they are high. The water in my Mtns Sis's home poured in from the roof down their bedroom wall and over the head of their very large bed which they are not capable of moving. Their generator went out 2 months ago and the repair part has been on back order since then. Very bad timing. Loads of trees down all around her - everywhere! - none on their house, thank God. Their grown son and his wife also live in the mtns an hour-and-a-half, or so  drive away from them through the mountains of eastern TN and western NC. That son and wife live in the northwestern NC mtns, and my sis is in the northeastern TN mtns, - they live not too far from the state line between them. Her son, wife, and their current, temporary home that they are living in while they build another home for retiring to, are ok. However, he has been working hard today at one of their rental properties in the NC mtns not far from West Jefferson, NC, to get furniture up higher in hopes of mitigating loss in that house - the nearby river is rising and there was water only in the basement of that house so far, last I heard this morning, but the river was still rising. So I odn't know the current status, and won't bother him by asking anytime soon. I imagine he may be trying to get to his mother's house (my Mtns Sis) to take them a small generator to use temporarily to run lights, refrigerator, TV, but he may not be abe to get there due to basically all roads blocked are gone. I have been wondering if he is not even able to leave the town where he has been working on that rental property, due to impassable roads.

All the rivers in the western NC/eastern TN are flooding - it is catastrophic in the southern Appalachian mtns of GA, SC, NC, TN, VA, so far. Everywhere!! One reservoir was reported this morning as overtopping. Lake Lure's dam is threatening to fail, so people are being evacuated below that dam. But roads are almost all closed - bridges out/ roads washed away - thousands of trees on roads. I hope those threatened can get to higher safe ground. It is truly catastrophic, life-threatening situations in the southern Appalachian mtns.

Prayers. More prayers, for all affected in so many states.

The NC Dept of Transportation has put out a statement to consider every road in western NC to be closed.

Beakers, I'm taking a break from posting - there's too much going on, and the status at one minute is not the same as the status at the next.

Take care. Hugs and prayers for all.

(Sorry for any and all typos - I'm not going to proofread at this time.)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2024, 02:42:18 PM by baziunc »
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center

baziunc

« Reply #7967 on: September 27, 2024, 02:54:00 PM »

Among other pieces of this domino effects rolling disaster, one of the hospitals in the mtns (unicoi, I think) is damaged by flooding, as well as their ambulances, and people are on the roof of that hospital. Catastrophic is the word, in many towns, cities, and states. Prayers for all.

Don't bother with the video - much not related to the story about this hospital in TN...
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2024/09/27/people-stranded-on-unicoi-county-hospital-roof-in-erwin-tennessee/75414475007/

Additional info - rescues happening there now for some, as waters recede enough to do some of them - at that hospital - but you have to scroll, scroll, scroll past all the embedded ads to read it:
https://fox59.com/news/national-world/50-people-awaiting-rescue-on-roof-of-tennessee-hospital/
« Last Edit: September 27, 2024, 03:01:34 PM by baziunc »
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #7968 on: September 27, 2024, 03:30:48 PM »

CLYNN  Holland pic is gorgeous.  Millions of tulips  Wonder if planted by machine ??  They would have to be DUH  Thanks so much for Karen's report.  Hope Dr Hall's husband can stop by..

LANI  Kiwa - excellent - also the easiest to pronounce  LOL

LISA  Day to day -2  Doc visits next week and I'll have more to post.

PHYL  Thought your knees were doing good.  :o  Hope you don't have too much flooding or wind damage   Yes, I just read that sad news about Maggie Smith - What a wonderful actress..RIP

BAZI   Barb said the place in Naples is fine - water receded quickly what there was of it.  Further up the coast in Bradenton I have a friend who after her hubby died last August got all new hurricane shutters and new front door.  She was scared between 4 PM to 11PM yesterday - she did not lose power and dodged another bullet.  Prayers for your mountain relatives - How awful.  I can see why you would want to take a break - You've really been on top of this.
Chicagoland

baziunc

« Reply #7969 on: September 27, 2024, 04:47:09 PM »

TSK, thanks. So glad Barb and Tom's place is ok, and your friend and her place in Bradenton! I hope Lulu is working her purring magic and that Tim is feeling a bit better each day, and is more comfortable to sleep, too. You rest, too. Hugs.

The tornado threat here is past - it has shifted north of me now. Zippo has been sprung from her unhappiness in the "safe room" now, and has forgiven me, and says she loves me again.  ;) :D

Good night, Beakers. Sending thoughts of comfort, health, and safety. Peace. SED.

BrokenLug

« Reply #7970 on: September 27, 2024, 06:24:49 PM »

Here is an image of the preliminary Best Track of Helene.
It looks like the eye went just west of Valdosta as a Cat 2 Hurricane, putting Karen on the "dirty side" of the eye wall.  :(  :o  ::)

Here's a link to the radar image of Helene making landfall.
https://bmcnoldy.earth.miami.edu/tropics/radar/

Karen I sure hope you an Piper are still making out OK.   :-*
Do you have any damage directly to your house ?
If no you definitely dodged a bullet.

Good timing on the whole house Generac, at least you have power and that's a biggie because that area could take awhile to get power fully restored.  :( 

The NHC did a great job of forecasting Helene's projected path as the storm progressed very rapidly.
https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/archive/2024/HELENE_graphics.php?product=5day_cone_with_line_and_wind
« Last Edit: September 27, 2024, 06:59:46 PM by BrokenLug »
U. S. A.

LisaG1967

« Reply #7971 on: September 27, 2024, 06:31:18 PM »

Lori - Thanks for the birthday reminder for sweet Penny.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Penny! 🎂🎁

Baz - Glad to hear that you and Zippo made out ok with the storm.  Sorry to hear about your Mtn families. 

Tsk - Hope all goes well at the doc appointments next week.  Glad to hear that Barb’s place made out ok. 

Good night, everyone

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #7972 on: September 27, 2024, 06:32:36 PM »

BAZI    ZIPPO :-*

BL  Cool map and gifs

Just saw this from CROW on Sanibel

CROW - Clinic for the Rehabilitation of Wildlife, Inc.
  ·
The CROW campus is flooded but appears to have only sustained minor damages from the storm. Our hospital did not take on any water inside the building. All staff, students, ambassadors, and patients are safe.
Concern for everyone’s safety is number one priority and we wait patiently to be able to return to the island to assess the full extent of Helene’s impact.
Our phone lines are currently down. Please bring any sick or injured wildlife to BluePearl Pet Hospital in Fort Myers. Our thoughts and prayers are with Northern Floridians and all affected by the storm. 💚
📸: Dr. Kreis, DVM Intern
« Last Edit: September 27, 2024, 06:35:40 PM by tsk34 »
Chicagoland

karengramke

« Reply #7973 on: September 27, 2024, 08:48:37 PM »

Oh my, the flooding from Helene in s horrific!      I am so sorry  for your family and all the folks in that beautiful mountain area!   The weather has been lovely i. The past!  Hugs to your sister and etta!   Rest up from alk the storm reporting you have done!

Int Internet and phone are back in service, but no electricity as yet it will take longer for that I am afraid. backyard fence remains broken and it’s difficult to custom Piper. Do you going potty on a leash? I hope they fix the fence soon not my fence you know just across my backyard. I would put a fence up myself if they didn’t mind but it would certainly require them to remove those, on next-door neighbor have a tree removal service remove a pine tree from her yard as it dropped a few branches which is unacceptable to them and she had them clean off my driveway not completely clean, but the big branches of everything are gone and I thought that was quite nice of her. I didn’t realize she had done that until I went out with piper tonight , I still have a tremendous number of broken branches of all sizes, pinecones and trash all in my yard front and back of the interesting thing is the southside is apparently quite clean but the east side and apparently branches of trees blew east neighbor down the street lost a pine tree that landed on his roof and it would’ve been an eastern wind that took it out. Enough of this disaster and thanks for your prayers piper and I are very tired and probably turning in soon so I will say good night and thanks for the pictures of the Holland flowers reduce the crow and all.
Seds

baziunc

« Reply #7974 on: September 27, 2024, 08:52:52 PM »

Updated 30 minutes ago (can scroll 22 photos at top of article - with updated info below pics:
https://apnews.com/live/hurricane-helene-tracker-maps-updates

Last update I saw, at least 43 dead across 4 states... much sadness.

My info about Hurricane passing over Valdosta were based on live TV reporting as it did so, by a WX Channel meteorologist who was on the ground there at the time. Sorry if I didn't get it right? Best I could do based on watching it around about midnight on TV. He said it was not completely dead calm, but only a slight breeze, but thought he was in the eye at that time, as did those in the studio watching the radar at the same time... but they were all basing it on the radar appearance and the on-the-ground meteorologists experience. They didn't have all the "after it happened tracking" available while it was on-going of course. It must've been very close to the edge of the eye wall by the eye... I guess. I'm just a regular person with no expertise. Couldn't help posting about what I saw and heard on TV as it happened in Valdosta. I'm just glad Karen and Piper are okay.  Hugs, Karen. I know it' was a rough night there, and I hope you and Piper got some rest today and are okay, and your home, too.

My Mtns sister is cut off. No roads in or out of her town are passable yet. But they are safe.

Karen, I just now saw your post as I was trying to post. Thanks. Good news overall there for you. Sleep well.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2024, 09:05:04 PM by baziunc »

baziunc

« Reply #7975 on: September 27, 2024, 09:01:19 PM »

Karen, thank you for thinking about my family. Etta wasn't my Mtns Sis's cat. Etta was my other sister's cat, who is the grandmother to my LGN and Baby Bro. Sadly, Etta passed this summer from a devastating illness that arose suddenly and was not treatable. I don't expect you to remember me posting about that - don't worry. We miss Etta every day.  :-*  But my Mtns Sis does have 3 cats. They live in northeastern TN, about a 30-minute drive west of Boone, NC. Most everything all around there is in catastrophic Emergency Flood status. Her home is above the flood level, but all the roads are impassable in and out of her community, either due to flooding, road damage, or trees fallen on roads, or debris. Myother sister, who was Etta's "mom," lives in the north central area of NC, not far from Chapel Hill and Durham, NC.

kbshcb

« Reply #7976 on: September 27, 2024, 09:19:42 PM »

Baz - heard any news about Brevard NC? It's about 30 miles south of Asheville.

I have a friend who lives there. Just saw her at our reunion of sorts a few weeks back here in MN.

oldguy

« Reply #7977 on: September 27, 2024, 10:11:52 PM »

Western NC and Eastern Tenn. is having record flooding.  Radar indicated rainfall over the past 48 hours for this area, shows amounts of 5 to 24 inches of rain.  This is the mountain area, so run off is fast and does lots of damage.  Below is the inter-active NC-DOT road map, showing the closed roads.

https://drivenc.gov/

Much of this area is also with out power - no one can get in or out to give status updates.  Not sure on cell phone status.
SE Iowa - Grew up within 40 miles of Decorah

baziunc

« Reply #7978 on: September 27, 2024, 10:21:01 PM »

Baz - heard any news about Brevard NC? It's about 30 miles south of Asheville.

I have a friend who lives there. Just saw her at our reunion of sorts a few weeks back here in MN.

KB, I hope your friend is okay. I don't have any specifics on Brevard at this time, but that whole area is mostly impassable, and many areas have no phone service of any kind, except satellite. Major, land transmission feeder lines are down in many parts of the mountains, though I don't know specifics for Brevard. Brevard is a gorgeous area, and the town is very special - a true gem of a place. It is the county seat of Transylvania County, NC, just south of Asheville, NC, in gorgeous mountains at the entrance to Pisgah National Forest. That's in the southwestern mtns of NC, just south of Asheville, not too far from the SC line. Here's some news, with an update as of 10pm, Eastern, tonight:
https://www.transylvaniatimes.com/news/update-flood-warning-in-effect-until-8-15-p-m-thousands-still-without-power-roads/article_b8d304ba-7cce-11ef-bec1-5f6ad2ea014f.html
If you scroll down that page, you may get more specifics. Fingers crossed for your friend and their home to be okay, though possibly cut off due to impassable roads all through the mountains.

baziunc

« Reply #7979 on: September 27, 2024, 10:25:11 PM »

Asheville, NC had no cell service earlier today. I don't know if they may have some now. Some cell phone companies take COWS (Cellphone communications On Wheels) to areas to help during major needs, but roads are mostly closed or impassable in the mountains of NC/TN, also in many areas of the mountains of SC, GA, VA, too., so they may not be able to help for a while. And many communications towers are down in many areas.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2024, 10:26:54 PM by baziunc »