Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beak Room 2024  (Read 535059 times)

kbshcb

Re: Beak Room 2024
« Reply #6180 on: July 15, 2024, 01:52:43 PM »

Hallelujah....power back at 1pm!
36 hours plus without...was told 10am..came on for 2 minutes and off.

So, Chris and I dragged our butts up to Lunds once again and started charging, 2 laptops, 2 phones, a phone bank, and ordered and delivered a new powerstation so charged that as well.
A powerstation in the future will let us charge phones, laptops etc....spendy but can't keep going out and sitting for hours for basic now necessary to exist technology.

Can't fathom throwing out all my food today. Will do tomorrow...relaxing after plugging everything in, setting bed to flat, was up in the air last night, LOL, etc.

No I have a 24 yr old car and do have a cigarette lighter adapter. However, cigarette lighter hasn't worked in decades. Still Nellie only has 65,000 miles on her after buying her at 2 yrs old with 27,000.....
Looks like new..but won't do things like spend money on re-habbing cig lighters. LOL

Will catch up around the house when rested..can take days...

Yes, I didn't grow up with AC either however, technology didn't exist then and necessary to exist.

tsk - it's accesible already. It's just that you have to hook up long extension cords through open windows to hook up to appliances....like I said, fine in spring, fall, and maybe winter...in the heat of summer, not so much. I also said I read an electrician state one can get additional outlets adapted?...I haven't explored.

At this point if power outages become a regular thing I'd consider a whole house generator. I bought my portable after a 2002 tornado and 3 days without power. Recently maintained it. Fine for emergencies but these days Excel doesn't give you reliable estimation of power returned. That makes it impossible to know what to do..whether or not to open windows exposing heat/bugs to keep a fridge on or not?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2024, 02:00:34 PM by kbshcb »

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #6181 on: July 15, 2024, 02:11:32 PM »

LISA put the wings on her car!!!   Could be 3 PM nest time altho once you get in the city it just might slow down a bit.

KB  I had never heard of a power station before so I googled it.    With a whole house generator you can select all the items you want on the new circuit breaker.  We left our basement off and garage off and laundry room off.  Can always be added.  We used Generac.  Not cheap by any means but adds to the resale value of home.
Chicagoland

kbshcb

« Reply #6182 on: July 15, 2024, 02:24:25 PM »

LISA put the wings on her car!!!   Could be 3 PM nest time altho once you get in the city it just might slow down a bit.

KB  I had never heard of a power station before so I googled it.    With a whole house generator you can select all the items you want on the new circuit breaker.  We left our basement off and garage off and laundry room off.  Can always be added.  We used Generac.  Not cheap by any means but adds to the resale value of home.

Yep, not my priority with so many things to fix in this house that are my priority. At the end of the day this house will be left to Chris and if that's his priority, I don't blame him, so be it.
I just wish Excel would be transparent and show us all the grid.

I hear it's a 100 years old with many decades of tweaking it...I'd like to know how my house is connected to Minneapolis for example. That way I could plan if I heard of something there.

Course their shareholders don't want that!

karengramke

« Reply #6183 on: July 15, 2024, 02:45:15 PM »

Wow, Lisa will be there early, for dinner!  Flying is right and I am guessing no tickets!
Old Guy, thanks for the report from Michigan state!   What we are doing to the environment is horrible!

oldguy

« Reply #6184 on: July 15, 2024, 03:19:22 PM »

It has gotten ugly outside - temp is 94 and dew point is 84 - feels like 117 - heavy T-storms to begin at 4:30 and last until 8:45  - NW Iowa is starting to pop up with cells -
The big storms will not get started for another 60-90 min.  Expected to get to Chicago land about 8pm  75+ winds are possible.

KB - how big of a Power station did you get?  I have seen some that will power most of a house for $5000 to $7500 - cheap ones ($200-300) that will run a refrig and some lights.
The longest outage in 29 years, that I have had was this spring, it lasted about 1 hour.  A squirrel shorted out something at the sub-station 1/2 mile away.  Most of the power is underground in this part of town, so not effected by falling trees.
SE Iowa - Grew up within 40 miles of Decorah

baziunc

• Queen of Decorah - April 10, 2016
« Reply #6185 on: July 15, 2024, 03:49:50 PM »

I just typed a looong post... and accidentally hit the wrong button while going to look up the spelling of a word. It all went POOF! I can't re-do it... I'm just not up to it. We all hav eknown that kind of "ugh."

It's 111 degrees "feels like" heat index here right now... no thanks to a dew point of 78, and high humidity. Ugh... I'm staying inside.

Prayers for all in the Houston/other TX areas, and elsewhere, who have been without power for almost 2 weeks and/or have even hotter deadly temps and "feels like" readings day in and day out, day after day after day.

BEWARE all in a large portion of the midwest for extremely potentially dangerous weather - starting now in some places and moving east - and will affect the greater Chicago area tonight, and overnight... Damaging hurricane-force winds of 75+ mph, possible derecho, tornadoes, large hail, heavy rains and flooding. Those in the forecast areas for this weather need to seriously stay alert and have a way for warnings and alerts to wake you overnight, and be ready to take action to move to a safer room in your home on short notice, if needed.

Take care, all.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2024, 04:03:23 PM by baziunc »
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center

baziunc

« Reply #6186 on: July 15, 2024, 03:51:29 PM »

Oldguy, I just saw your post - 117 heat index! That's deadly, and I hope people will seek relief in cooling centers if they need to, and stay careful. You take care!
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center

baziunc

« Reply #6187 on: July 15, 2024, 03:54:09 PM »

I’m reporting in, I am making good time. I am near South Bend Indiana exit my GPS says I should be in Chicago at 4 o’clock.

LISA, sounds good. ALERT FOR SEVERE WEATHER MOVING TOWARD THE GREATER CHICAGO AREA. TUNE IN, AND SAFE TRAVELS!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2024, 04:04:40 PM by baziunc »

kbshcb

« Reply #6188 on: July 15, 2024, 03:54:24 PM »

It has gotten ugly outside - temp is 94 and dew point is 84 - feels like 117 - heavy T-storms to begin at 4:30 and last until 8:45  - NW Iowa is starting to pop up with cells -
The big storms will not get started for another 60-90 min.  Expected to get to Chicago land about 8pm  75+ winds are possible.

KB - how big of a Power station did you get?  I have seen some that will power most of a house for $5000 to $7500 - cheap ones ($200-300) that will run a refrig and some lights.
The longest outage in 29 years, that I have had was this spring, it lasted about 1 hour.  A squirrel shorted out something at the sub-station 1/2 mile away.  Most of the power is underground in this part of town, so not effected by falling trees.

good questions oldguy....a cheap one relatively speaking. An Anker https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09FF46FQ9?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

We have apparently very old under capacity grids here...I've lost power in the last 3 days a total of 36 plus 10 hours therefore. throwning out 400 dollars of food. Many other times as well.

Will allow us in the future however to charge our laptops, phone bank, and phones..to keep in touch with weather radar, excel updates, and general news important to survive.

Still need to purchase battery powered fans.

oldguy

« Reply #6189 on: July 15, 2024, 04:13:51 PM »

Looks like a good choice for electronics power.  Just add the solar panel and it would give you the ability to use a box fan and a light while your devices are charged up. ;)
SE Iowa - Grew up within 40 miles of Decorah

kbshcb

« Reply #6190 on: July 15, 2024, 04:57:17 PM »

Looks like a good choice for electronics power.  Just add the solar panel and it would give you the ability to use a box fan and a light while your devices are charged up. ;)

LOL.....

kbshcb

« Reply #6191 on: July 15, 2024, 05:31:29 PM »

Forgot to mention: My neighbor Vi came down twice this am crying....yup...it was bad.
She asked me for ice bags....Lunds ran out yesterday.
Luckily, her DIL finally came and took them out to lunch. I waved at them when I came home.
She said:" I think it's the 1800's...

I'm starving. Haven't eaten nor slept much.

I'll be busy tomorrow.

Ollie vet said no parasite...however, antibiotic is working for some reason..either just a coincidence or helpful? We shall see...course the antibiotic makes him feel nauseous. One and a half more days.!

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #6192 on: July 15, 2024, 06:44:57 PM »

Wonderful 2 1/2 hour chat fest with Lisa over a Giordanos "special" pizza, house salads and split a warm chocolate chip cookie topped with vanilla ice cream drizzled with hot chocolate sauce.  Good grief Charlie Brown!  Special occasion.  ;D ;D
Always good to catch up in person.  Amazes me how Lisa can drive for 12 hours and still have energy  LOL

OLDGUY, we will see those storms after 9 PM along with hail and tornado warnings  :o :o    Hope it wasn't too bad for you.  Lisa and I were watching the radar as it went over you.

BAZI   You got that right!!
Chicagoland

karengramke

« Reply #6193 on: July 15, 2024, 07:55:20 PM »

Great picture ladies!   Be safe tonight !   Glad Lisa is not on the road tonight!

I ate a third of your desert to spare you!  Also had some pizza!  All was sooo good!  Have a goid evening!

LisaG1967

« Reply #6194 on: July 15, 2024, 08:05:11 PM »

Good Evening Beakers

tsk - It was so good to spend a few hours with you and catch up, and the dinner and dessert was delicious!   :) :-*

((kb)) - Glad to hear that Ollie did not have any parasite.  Glad to hear that you got your power back. 

baz - I am hunkered down here in the hotel for the night.

oldguy - Geesh, 117!  I hope you made out ok with the storm. 

karen - No tickets  :D 

Lani - Thanks for the Royal update.

Puff - You drive safely to Decorah!

Have a good night, everyone!